Mehta absolutely killing Marone on twitter

docdhc

Disagree on one point.

Al Groh had a record better than 8-8 and way better than that real.Loosar, WRECKS

My bad, 9-7. With FOUR first round picks. Al Groh is way better than Rex cuz why? Rex is a coach n did a hell of a job here. like it or not, he'll meet with the president (again) before any Jet does.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mythology of the Ryan Era will be unbearable for decades to come.

Bingo. 

Mehta deserves to have a baby arm growing out of his forehead.

Dude's handpicked captain quits on the field during a nationally televised game, literally one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen a Jet do, and even that gets forgotten now. Dissonance knows no bounds.

My bad, 9-7. With FOUR first round picks. Al Groh is way better than Rex cuz why? Rex is a coach n did a hell of a job here. like it or not, he'll meet with the president (again) before any Jet does.

Rex was a defensive line coach on that Ravens staff that also had Marvin Lewis (DC) , Jack Del Rio (Linebackers), and Mike Smith (Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line)

Do you want to hire Del Rio or Mike Smith? They are available. 

leaving the college game to go to the NFL is a promotion, not quitting

he negotiated a clause into his buffalo contract that if there was a change in ownership, he could opt out.  that is smart.  he negotiated another clause that buffalo would still owe him $4 million.  pretty standard.  

what is amazing is he got the $4 million set aside so that if he gets another HC job, there is no off set, and he gets to keep both salaries.

he gets to double his salary to leave the lake effect snow capital of the world

only mehta would cry about this

I like the idea of Marrone coming in here but Meh raised some good question regarding this guy that we really do not know and trying to learn more about him.  I think from the little we know now, it makes Marrone more like a mercenary. 

Bills fan now claiming that the success was mainly because of Jim Schwartz, running the defense.  

I like the idea of Marrone coming in here but Meh raised some good question regarding this guy that we really do not know and trying to learn more about him.  I think from the little we know now, it makes Marrone more like a mercenary. 

Bills fan now claiming that the success was mainly because of Jim Schwartz, running the defense.  

HC sounding himself with good assistants and letting them help him be successful?….i'm outraged…Marrone is an offensive guy he should've completely ignored the defense and tried to win every game 55-50.

I like the idea of Marrone coming in here but Meh raised some good question regarding this guy that we really do not know and trying to learn more about him. I think from the little we know now, it makes Marrone more like a mercenary.

It's normal. A coach is leaving on his own so fans (and media) feel jilted. Yet most people in that same situation would at least give serious thought to doing the same.

Rex was a defensive line coach on that Ravens staff that also had Marvin Lewis (DC) , Jack Del Rio (Linebackers), and Mike Smith (Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line)

Do you want to hire Del Rio or Mike Smith? They are available.

This is your best response to me using the word "again" in parenthesis?

It's normal. A coach is leaving on his own so fans (and media) feel jilted. Yet most people in that same situation would at least give serious thought to doing the same.

Nothing wrong with being a mercenary, we live in a free market.  Parcell was the ultimate mercenary in Football and he is beloved everywhere he coached.  As long as he can win games, he will be alright.

Here is the hypocrisy that is Mehta------

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/jets-coach-soar-syracuse-blog-entry-1.1631433

In 2002, the Jets hired a little-known assistant named Doug Marrone to coach the offensive line. He replaced one of the best in the business, Bill Muir, but Marrone quickly established himself as a bright, hard-working coach, a guy with a future. One of his pet projects was Brandon Moore, a former college defensive lineman. This season, Moore is playing at a Pro-Bowl level at right guard. The reason I mention Marrone today is because he's interviewing for the vacant head-coaching position at Syracuse (full disclosure: my alma mater), and there's no person more deserving of the job than Marrone. These are tough times for Syracuse, whose once-proud football program has slipped to the depths of Division I. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing, and the athletic director, Dr. Daryl Gross (a former Jets scout, by the way), is charged with the responsibility of finding the right man to clean up the mess and make Syracuse important again. Doug Marrone will do that. He will do it because he's one of us. He grew up in the Bronx (Lehman High) and turned down scholarship offers from Penn State and Florida to play for Syracuse, where he served as a captain in 1984. He will do it because he knows the game, having worked seven years in the NFL and 10 years in the college ranks. Currently, he's the Saints' line coach/offensive coordinator, working with one of the brightest offensive minds in the game, Sean Payton. Do you think the Saints are scoring all those points by accident? He will do it because he will re-establish the school's recruiting base in the Northeast. He knows the people, he knows the landscape. He doesn't need a vehicle navigation system to find the Jersey Turnpike from Long Island. Some of the area's most prominent high-school coaches are guys that were around when he played. In recruiting, those relationships are everything. But the unique thing about Marrone is that, as a former assistant at Georgia, Georgia Tech and Tennessee, he also has recruited in the Deep South. That experience would be invaluable to a program that needs talent in the worst way. Finally, he will do it because this would be his forever job, like it is for Jim Boeheim. Unlike the other candidates, East Carolina's Skip Holtz and Buffalo's Turner Gill, Marrone wouldn't use Syracuse as a steppingstone. The man bleeds orange, and his passion and loyalty to the school would be contagious. He would energize and unite the Syracuse football community, mainly prominent football alums, in a way that never happened under the previous coaching staff. Years ago, Marrone told me this story, and I believe it says everything about him: On the eve of the Syracuse-Nebraska game in 1984, then coach Dick MacPherson, reaching deep into his bag of motivational tricks, told each player to go back to his room and write an essay. The thesis: Why we're going to beat Nebraska. Please understand, Syracuse was at least a three-touchdown underdog, if memory serves, and there was no logical reason to think it would be a competitive game, much less an upset. Naturally, MacPherson's request, somewhat sophomoric, was met with some reluctance. Marrone, the dutiful captain, went to his room, pulled out a few sheets of loose leaf and started writing. He got into it and kept writing. And writing. And soon several pages were filled. By the end of his handwritten pep talk, Marrone was so full of emotion and adrenaline that tears were welling in his eyes. The next day, Syracuse went out and beat Nebraska. Final score: 17-9. You can look it up. "I was absolutely convinced we were going to win that game," Marrone told me once, probably feeling those old, familiar goose bumps as he related the story. Anybody who cares that deeply about football and his school is a guy I'd want running my program.

Absolutely agree there. We fire Rex n hire this loser? Who will probably quit like Al ******* Groh after an 8-8 season.

Or it could be that he knew he was going to get force-fed EJ Manuel, then get fired, then his future HCing prospects would suck. So this could kind of be career preservation, plus he's not going to get stiffed out of cash apparently.

I have no knowledge of any of this being true, but it's not far-fetched.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/jets-coach-soar-syracuse-blog-entry-1.1631433

In 2002, the Jets hired a little-known assistant named Doug Marrone to coach the offensive line. He replaced one of the best in the business, Bill Muir, but Marrone quickly established himself as a bright, hard-working coach, a guy with a future. One of his pet projects was Brandon Moore, a former college defensive lineman. This season, Moore is playing at a Pro-Bowl level at right guard. The reason I mention Marrone today is because he's interviewing for the vacant head-coaching position at Syracuse (full disclosure: my alma mater), and there's no person more deserving of the job than Marrone. These are tough times for Syracuse, whose once-proud football program has slipped to the depths of Division I. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing, and the athletic director, Dr. Daryl Gross (a former Jets scout, by the way), is charged with the responsibility of finding the right man to clean up the mess and make Syracuse important again. Doug Marrone will do that. He will do it because he's one of us. He grew up in the Bronx (Lehman High) and turned down scholarship offers from Penn State and Florida to play for Syracuse, where he served as a captain in 1984. He will do it because he knows the game, having worked seven years in the NFL and 10 years in the college ranks. Currently, he's the Saints' line coach/offensive coordinator, working with one of the brightest offensive minds in the game, Sean Payton. Do you think the Saints are scoring all those points by accident? He will do it because he will re-establish the school's recruiting base in the Northeast. He knows the people, he knows the landscape. He doesn't need a vehicle navigation system to find the Jersey Turnpike from Long Island. Some of the area's most prominent high-school coaches are guys that were around when he played. In recruiting, those relationships are everything. But the unique thing about Marrone is that, as a former assistant at Georgia, Georgia Tech and Tennessee, he also has recruited in the Deep South. That experience would be invaluable to a program that needs talent in the worst way. Finally, he will do it because this would be his forever job, like it is for Jim Boeheim. Unlike the other candidates, East Carolina's Skip Holtz and Buffalo's Turner Gill, Marrone wouldn't use Syracuse as a steppingstone. The man bleeds orange, and his passion and loyalty to the school would be contagious. He would energize and unite the Syracuse football community, mainly prominent football alums, in a way that never happened under the previous coaching staff. Years ago, Marrone told me this story, and I believe it says everything about him: On the eve of the Syracuse-Nebraska game in 1984, then coach Dick MacPherson, reaching deep into his bag of motivational tricks, told each player to go back to his room and write an essay. The thesis: Why we're going to beat Nebraska. Please understand, Syracuse was at least a three-touchdown underdog, if memory serves, and there was no logical reason to think it would be a competitive game, much less an upset. Naturally, MacPherson's request, somewhat sophomoric, was met with some reluctance. Marrone, the dutiful captain, went to his room, pulled out a few sheets of loose leaf and started writing. He got into it and kept writing. And writing. And soon several pages were filled. By the end of his handwritten pep talk, Marrone was so full of emotion and adrenaline that tears were welling in his eyes. The next day, Syracuse went out and beat Nebraska. Final score: 17-9. You can look it up. "I was absolutely convinced we were going to win that game," Marrone told me once, probably feeling those old, familiar goose bumps as he related the story. Anybody who cares that deeply about football and his school is a guy I'd want running my program.

POTW

Quite a few. That team does not lack for offensive talent.

No QB. Best WR was a rookie, the rest were a hodge pudge of role players. Watkins wasn't healthy for a stint. Fred Jackson and the other RBs, none of which could stay healthy.

No QB.

Marrone may not be great, but let's not pretend he had any substantially better weapons than the Jets.

That team was all defense, another aspect that Rex should have been better at.

Recall in March 2013 Mehta wrote stories in which Woody Johnson required all GM candidates to agree to keep Rex Ryan as HC. And suddenly in December 2014 Mehta wrote stories that were exactly opposite of what he wrote back then. In both cases, Mr. Mehta, which is it i? Both cannot be true. 

Or it could be that he knew he was going to get force-fed EJ Manuel, then get fired, then his future HCing prospects would suck. So this could kind of be career preservation, plus he's not going to get stiffed out of cash apparently.

I have no knowledge of any of this being true, but it's not far-fetched.

His guaranteed cash also opens up the viability of him taking an OC role while collecting a double salary and seeing what else opens up next year.

lol

So at least we see where it all came from. Apparently Marrone owed it to former Syracuse student Manish Mehta to coach there forever, even if the upstate NY NFL team offered him a major opportunity. He had no right to quit and move onto an obvious promotion (which undoubtedly came with a serious pay raise). Just like Mehta had no right to quit nj.com when the Daily News had an opening.

Buffalo...c'mon

Reminds me of a line from "A Chorus Line"

Bobby, from Buffalo says that things got so bad he thought of killing himself...but he decided not to because....

"Committing suicide in Buffalo is REDUNDANT"

Broadway musicals are always an excellent source material for football message board posts.

lol

So at least we see where it all came from. Apparently Marrone owed it to former Syracuse student Manish Mehta to coach there forever, even if the upstate NY NFL team offered him a major opportunity. He had no right to quit and move onto an obvious promotion (which undoubtedly came with a serious pay raise). Just like Mehta had no right to quit nj.com when the Daily News had an opening.

Mehta inserts himself and his feelings into stories that he supposedly reports on. He thinks of himself as some form of columnist, rather than a reporter. 

It is all a little sad and weasely.

someone should Twitter this to show why his butt hurts

yidUzHnBk32Um9aMMw.gif

Rex is a coach n did a hell of a job here.

A hell of a job at what?

An overall losing record after 6 years, never had his team competitive for a division title, and he finished it off with 4 straight non-winning, non-playoff seasons.

Yea, he did a hell of a job.

I would love Marrone to land in NY. I couldn't stand him, his attitude, his conservative-ness, and how the offense regressed badly from year one to year two. He rode the coattails of a great defense to our winning record, and with a average offense, we'd have been in the playoffs, which was his department. We can do better.

I would love Marrone to land in NY. I couldn't stand him, his attitude, his conservative-ness, and how the offense regressed badly from year one to year two. He rode the coattails of a great defense to our winning record, and with a average offense, we'd have been in the playoffs, which was his department. We can do better.

HAVE I GOT THE GUY FOR YOU!!!

that 9-7 hope you enjoyed it

I'd say Buffalo has a better chance of no snow this winter than getting over 8-8 for next 10 years.

good luck suckers!

Mehta inserts himself and his feelings into stories that he supposedly reports on. He thinks of himself as some form of columnist, rather than a reporter. 

It is all a little sad and weasely.

How many media people are reporters anymore?? Everybody now has a agenda..

Archived