Mehta absolutely killing Marone on twitter

docdhc

leaving the college game to go to the NFL is a promotion, not quitting

he negotiated a clause into his buffalo contract that if there was a change in ownership, he could opt out.  that is smart.  he negotiated another clause that buffalo would still owe him $4 million.  pretty standard.  

what is amazing is he got the $4 million set aside so that if he gets another HC job, there is no off set, and he gets to keep both salaries.

he gets to double his salary to leave the lake effect snow capital of the world

only mehta would cry about this

All good points larz

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if moving up is quitting, then lombardi quit on st cecilia, west point and the giants

Parcells bailed when the jets changed owners.  Knowing Woody, I can only look back on the move as a prescient and admirable one.  Why work for someone you know you will hate if your contract has a clause that lets you off.

Parcells bailed when the jets changed owners.  Knowing Woody, I can only look back on the move as a prescient and admirable one.  Why work for someone you know you will hate if your contract has a clause that lets you off.

The Tuna said he would coach for 3 years and did I wouldn't call that bailing..

That's all fine and good...and only asking this again because it got ignored last time.  In terms of the football stuff Mehta mentions, isn't it all true?  Two seasons, no playoffs, losing record, sputtering offense...are these  not legitimate concerns?  Also a .500 guy in college.  If this is what the Jets are looking for then it really does eff up my day.  

You have to consider the programs he took over.  Syracuse got better, two bowl wins and 2  over 500 seasons for a moribund college team and Buffalo's first winning season in a long time with drek at QB.

That's all fine and good...and only asking this again because it got ignored last time.  In terms of the football stuff Mehta mentions, isn't it all true?  Two seasons, no playoffs, losing record, sputtering offense...are these  not legitimate concerns?  Also a .500 guy in college.  If this is what the Jets are looking for then it really does eff up my day.

Weren't both Syracuse & the Bills really in the crapper when he took over? Wouldn't a .500 record then show improvement. As opposed to Rex who took over a 9-7 team and ended up with a below .500 record?

You have to consider the programs he took over.  Syracuse got better, two bowl wins and 2  over 500 seasons for a moribund college team and Buffalo's first winning season in a long time with drek at QB.

I'm not gonna' lie and pretend I follow college football, but I do know that around this time of year there are around 600 teams that make it to a bowl game.  Winning those things mattered when there were three or four of em.  Unless it's that national championship, it's not a real big deal IMO.  Give him credit  for the bowl wins and he's two games over .500 in four season.  Call me crazy, but I was hoping for better.  If they bring him on I'm an instant fan and hoping for the best, but I don't see the attraction.  A .500 coach with a bad offense and no playoff appearances.  

Weren't both Syracuse & the Bills really in the crapper when he took over? Wouldn't a .500 record then show improvement. As opposed to Rex who took over a 9-7 team and ended up with a below .500 record?

I don't want to make this about Rex because he's gone, but Rex took over a team that had a HOF QB the previous season and had  a horrible rookie QB and made a deep playoff run.  Marrone had a horrible rookie QB and couldn't even get in the playoffs.  Really hoping this is just rumor getting pumped out by Marrone's agent.

I don't buy a thing Mehta says, but I can't believe we fired Rex to talk about Doug Maronne...

I thought the idea was to upgrade? Harbaugh was the only upgrade out there and now we're looking at Doug Marrone while Rex is the #1 coach available.

I don't want to make this about Rex because he's gone, but Rex took over a team that had a HOF QB the previous season and managed to make consecutive deep playoff runs with a horrible rookie QB.  Marrone had a horrible rookie QB and couldn't even get in the playoffs.  Really hoping this is just rumor getting pumped out by Marrone's agent.

What rumor? Woody has already said “I just found out Doug Marrone is available. We will look at him,” Johnson told The News. “He is a coach who was with us. And I know him a little bit.”

What rumor? Woody has already said “I just found out Doug Marrone is available. We will look at him,” Johnson told The News. “He is a coach who was with us. And I know him a little bit.”

The rumors that are painting Marrone as their top candidate.  I'd rather they didn't even interview the guy, but if they're interviewing cap guys for the GM position then what the hell does it matter who they interview for anything at this point?

The rumors that are painting Marrone as their top candidate.  I'd rather they didn't even interview the guy, but if they're interviewing cap guys for the GM position then what the hell does it matter who they interview for anything at this point?

What cap guys are they interviewing for GM?

I don't want to make this about Rex because he's gone, but Rex took over a team that had a HOF QB the previous season and had  a horrible rookie QB and made a deep playoff run.  Marrone had a horrible rookie QB and couldn't even get in the playoffs.  Really hoping this is just rumor getting pumped out by Marrone's agent.

Actually this season adding Manuel and Ortons stats together Marrone got over 62% pass completions and 23 tds and 13 picks Rex would have loved that..

Actually this season adding Manuel and Ortons stats together Marrone got over 62% pass completions and 23 tds and 13 picks Rex would have loved that..

Numbers are seriously skewed....they completed 98% of their passes for 18 TD's and zero INT's against the Jets.

This is his Schtick....

There's a real chance this is going to the be the coach - so he's already stirring up the pot

He's not an idiot at all - he's playing a role and judging by this thread and the continued reaction to his nonsense - a lot of people are buying into it...

This is his Schtick....

There's a real chance this is going to the be the coach - so he's already stirring up the pot

He's not an idiot at all - he's playing a role and judging by this thread and the continued reaction to his nonsense - a lot of people are buying into it...

The newspaper, Twitter version of Francesa

The prior 4 years at Syracuse, before Marrone, the Cuse were 10-37. A horrid team under Greg Robinson.

Under Marrone, the Cuse beat a number of ranked teams, he developed players and actually looked like a well run program.

He turned them around.

As a line coach with the Jets, he did a very good job with the unit he worked with.

I don't like Manish, and a lot of those tweets are uncalled for.  The football related stuff though, is any of it wrong?  .500 coach in college, losing record and no playoffs in the NFL, sputtering offense?  Lots of folks on board with that?

Marrone will check off a lot of boxes for a lot of fans. Obviously his no-nonsense style compared to Rex's all nonsense style is appealing to everyone who thinks a disciplinarian needs to be brought in. The OL guys will love him, because as a former OL coach, he'll focus on that unit to a certain degree. Where the Jets are picking, a potential OT could easily be had there.

I think the fans anxious for the Jets to get out of the Stone Age offensively might be a little disappointed, though. He's got the mentality of a defensive minded coach, he's much more about eliminating mistakes and keeping it close than taking any chances offensively. Again, what was his influence in the Bills drafts? Because going QB and WR in the first round in back-to-back years at least demonstrates that someone over there was trying to get more explosive offensively.

I'm not too concerned about his record. It's an incomplete. He's taken over a couple crappy programs and improved them. Now, it's a lot easier to get from 6 wins to 9 wins than it is to get from 9 to 12. Can he take a team to the next level? I don't know, but there's no one else on the interview list who's a slam-dunk in that regard, either.

Mannish Boy is an idiot. I lost all respect for him when he called for Rex's job after the Sanchez preseason injury debacle, then campaigned hard for him to return four months later.

He's spot on about Marrone, however.

Hahahaha he's not even close to "spot on".  Just because you don't think Marrone is the right guy, don't be hitching your wagon to Mehta.  Come on man.  Marrone hasn't quit on anybody.  Mehta is making him out to be like Bobby Petrino when in actuality he's simply moved on for better opportunities.  He improved a bad Syracuse program and moved on to the NFL.  He improved a bad Bills team and is now looking for a better situation (pretty much any NFL team is a better choice than Buffalo).  

There is very little not to like about the guy, and it's not like we've stated we're hiring him.  Only that we're interviewing him and are high on him as a candidate.  

Marrone will check off a lot of boxes for a lot of fans. Obviously his no-nonsense style compared to Rex's all nonsense style is appealing to everyone who thinks a disciplinarian needs to be brought in. The OL guys will love him, because as a former OL coach, he'll focus on that unit to a certain degree. Where the Jets are picking, a potential OT could easily be had there.

I think the fans anxious for the Jets to get out of the Stone Age offensively might be a little disappointed, though. He's got the mentality of a defensive minded coach, he's much more about eliminating mistakes and keeping it close than taking any chances offensively. Again, what was his influence in the Bills drafts? Because going QB and WR in the first round in back-to-back years at least demonstrates that someone over there was trying to get more explosive offensively.

I'm not too concerned about his record. It's an incomplete. He's taken over a couple crappy programs and improved them. Now, it's a lot easier to get from 6 wins to 9 wins than it is to get from 9 to 12. Can he take a team to the next level? I don't know, but there's no one else on the interview list who's a slam-dunk in that regard, either.

Now THIS is spot on. 

Hahahaha he's not even close to "spot on". Just because you don't think Marrone is the right guy, don't be hitching your wagon to Mehta. Come on man.

Hitching my wagon?

We happen to agree in this instance. It's not like I read his tweets and did a 180 in my position. I've been saying my opinion of Marrone since the news broke that he had an opt-out clause.

Archived