Stepping Through The Media Coverage

KRL

This is exactly why you can't judge a draft after the 1st or 2nd year.  It's more or less a well known and accepted fact - except for Jet fans and the media that covers them.

Yeah it annoys me greatly actually.  That being said, I wanted Idzik fired for everything else he was doing.  From what I've read/heard he was just a horrible person to work with both inside and outside the organization.  The handling of Emmanuel Sanders pushed me over the fence.  This guy is SUPREMELY talented and we have NO receivers....and you BLOW HIM OFF because of a "scheduling conflict"!?!? You can't work in the NFL if you do sh*t like that.  

In addition, the Revis fiasco is the biggest questionmark ever.  The only thing I could come up with is that he didn't want to sign Revis because he knew it would make the team better and he wanted to tank...which is pretty much grounds for firing anyway.  Thinking from the perspective of a guy that really doesn't want to lose his job...I don't understand why he wouldn't at least TALK to Revis about a reunion.  He would've rented out Revis for a year for Sheldon Richardson and then got him right back....he would've looked like a genius.  Personally, I think Woody is lying about wanting Revis back...he definitely told Idzik no...listen to how he mentions the agents immediately in that press conference.  There is no conceivable reason Idzik wouldn't want him back given the motives I previously stated.

Yeah it annoys me greatly actually.  That being said, I wanted Idzik fired for everything else he was doing.  From what I've read/heard he was just a horrible person to work with both inside and outside the organization.  The handling of Emmanuel Sanders pushed me over the fence.  This guy is SUPREMELY talented and we have NO receivers....and you BLOW HIM OFF because of a "scheduling conflict"!?!? You can't work in the NFL if you do sh*t like that.  

In addition, the Revis fiasco is the biggest questionmark ever.  The only thing I could come up with is that he didn't want to sign Revis because he knew it would make the team better and he wanted to tank...which is pretty much grounds for firing anyway.  Thinking from the perspective of a guy that really doesn't want to lose his job...I don't understand why he wouldn't at least TALK to Revis about a reunion.  He would've rented out Revis for a year for Sheldon Richardson and then got him right back....he would've looked like a genius.  Personally, I think Woody is lying about wanting Revis back...he definitely told Idzik no...listen to how he mentions the agents immediately in that press conference.  There is no conceivable reason Idzik wouldn't want him back given the motives I previously stated.

I agree with this...

Another point in the "unprofessional" column.

one would presume that Casserly and Wolf lend credance to both the Idzik firing and this process...

Idzik did a terrible job, and was let go at the end of the 2nd season.. Really don't understand how there are any defenders ..

Top level execs in corporate world don't get 4-5 years to turn things around. It's produce or gtfo

Not to mention that Idzik displayed little to zero evidence that he actually might one day be good at his job

I'm giving Woody the benefit of the doubt because of the "out of character" actions

he's taken over this past month:

- He was decisive in cleaning out the organization and not letting his personal feelings

cloud his judgment

- He's using two proven GM's to counsel him not an executive search firm

- He was in charge and knowledgeable about his team during his press conference

To me those are tangible signs that he's learned from his mistakes and intends to

get this process right

I'm giving Woody the benefit of the doubt because of the "out of character" actions

he's taken over this past month:

- He was decisive in cleaning out the organization and not letting his personal feelings

cloud his judgment

- He's using two proven GM's to counsel him not an executive search firm

- He was in charge and knowledgeable about his team during his press conference

To me those are tangible signs that he's learned from his mistakes and intends to

get this process right

Yes I agree he is doing all the right steps up to now-

Ok, bit, who are the other guys besides Ballard who have turned down interviews with the Jets, but taken them with other teams?

So we aren't counting the 3 guys who couldn't be lured away from their current positions. Why? To make us feel better. 

that's the story the media is telling btw. there were 3 guys who didn't leave, a 4th joined the bears

there are only 2 GM openings in the whole league. The Bears were one of them.

It seems like some fans are working extra hard to put a positive spin on how the GM search is going. 

2.  McDougle Injury:  The plan was for this kid to start.  He was a riser in the draft from what I remember with really good leadership qualities....again....really couldn't see this coming either.  Jury is still out here too 

when you draft a dude that missed a whole year in college, and a whole year in high school, it shouldn't be surprising when he gets hurt again in the NFL 

BTW the biggest mistake Idzik made was pushing all in on Geno. It's one thing to draft Geno at a bargain rate. But to rig 2 preseason competitions and not allow Rex to set the line up, that's what sealed his fate. If Geno was Russell Wilson, Idzik would still be here, bad drafts and all. 

Ok, bit, who are the other guys besides Ballard who have turned down interviews with the Jets, but taken them with other teams?

We'll see if he interviews tomorrow. Via ChicagoTrib:

The Bears are also believed to have an interview scheduled Wednesday with Saints director of player personnel Ryan Pace.

It seems like some fans are working extra hard to put a positive spin on how the GM search is going. 

Do you already think it's going badly?  I think so far it's going "normal" - like just about every other franchise's search for a GM in the last 10 years.  You get a list of candidates.  Some are interested, some aren't.  Eventually you hire one.  

We won't really have a clue as to how it "went" until it's over...

one would presume that Casserly and Wolf lend credance to both the Idzik firing and this process...

Idzik did a terrible job, and was let go at the end of the 2nd season.. Really don't understand how there are any defenders ..

Top level execs in corporate world don't get 4-5 years to turn things around. It's produce or gtfo

Not to mention that Idzik displayed little to zero evidence that he actually might  one day be good at his job

Pure nonsense.  He blew it because he blew this past draft badly right off the hop though we really won't know for a few more years and a couple of his fa pick ups sucked.

He got rid of a lot of old contracts and garbage.  He acheived a ton of cap space.  He did NOT over spend on medium fa that do not make a difference, see DRC.

The next Gm is coming into a situation Idzik had no luxury of having.  Lots of cap room, no incumbent head coach forced on you and a high draft position.

Also, you are totally wrong about the length of time people get, the corporate world is not the NFL and it is very unusual to have a gm fired after only two years, in reality a year and a half since he was saddled with the previous regime in many ways his 1st year.

Should the guy have been fired and was he not the right guy?  Could very well be.  these thoughts that the guy did nothing right is pure baloney.

Do you already think it's going badly?  I think so far it's going "normal" 

Normal is about right. I don't think it's going terribly... but it's not going amazing either. I guess "normal" doesn't sell papers so the media is doing what they are doing.

Any legitimate football person understands Idzik was treated about as poorly as a GM could be.  Moreover, they'll also understand he didn't do nearly as poor a job as most are making it out to be.  He made some mistakes but also did a lot of good.

Think about Fidelito, our biggest needs going into last year draft were WR and CB respectively.  In the richest NFL, WR class ever, he could not come up with single WR to contribute.  Forget the early round when Brandon Cooks and Kelvin Benjamin were still there for the taking.  Last year four round draft gave us an analogy of how bad this guy was and how Woody got duped by a guy who never had a decision making of a single player in Seattle.  He chose Jalen Sounden and Shaq Evans over Baltavis Bryant 6'4 4.40 and Bruce Ellington.  I was yelling at my TV.  Even the ESPN draft crew took some good shot at Idzik.  Maltavis Bryant finished the season with 8 receiving TD.  The Steelers didnt need him; we needed him but it had always been our freaking luck.  

This is the Guy I want. Make it happen!

Cimini wrote this a year ago:

JERSEY CITY, N.J. -- Dan Quinn is a Jersey Guy. He grew up in a five-bedroom colonial in Morristown, listening to Bon Jovi and rooting for the New York Giants of Parcells and Taylor and Carson. He lived for the Jersey Shore, long before it was a TV show, and he dreamed of one day of coming home to coach football.

Quinn did it for two years, in 2007 and 2008, coaching the defensive line for Eric Mangini's New York Jets. You never know, maybe there will be more green in his future, because if Rex Ryan disappoints in 2014 and gets fired, Quinn will be high on general manager John Idzik's list of replacement candidates.

But that's crystal ball talk, especially this week, with Quinn back home for Super Bowl XLVIII. He's the defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks, and his job is to figure out what so many others have tried (and failed) to do this season: Make Denver Broncos star Peyton Manning play like a mortal quarterback.

Quinn, 43, isn't coming into this with decades of been-there, done-that experience, that's for sure, but he has worked for several respected coaches in a relatively short amount of time. Pete Carroll. Nick Saban. Steve Mariucci. And the late Joe Gardi, the former Hofstra coach who made his bones as a Jets defensive assistant during the heyday of the New York Sack Exchange.

"It was one of the most awesome places to come up as a young coach," Quinn said of his five years at Hofstra (1996-2000), which produced NFL players Wayne Chrebet, Willie Colon, Lance Schulters and Marques Colston before the university's suits decided to shut down the football program.

After jobs with the San Francisco 49ers and Miami Dolphins, Quinn ended up back on the Hofstra campus, except it was to work for the Jets, who trained at the Long Island school before moving to Florham Park, N.J., in 2008. He saw a lot in a short amount of time with the Jets, experiencing one of the most talked-about years in team history.

[+] Enlargenfl_g_quinn_300x300.jpg
Al Pereira/Getty ImagesQuinn, who spent two seasons coaching the Jets' defensive line, is no stranger to working in East Rutherford, N.J., site of Sunday's Super Bowl.

Brett Favre, 2008.

Quinn said the quarterbacks had a small basketball hoop in their meeting room and that, during breaks, Favre organized games. He described the future Hall of Famer as ultra competitive.

"He was one of the most fun guys to be around," Quinn said, smiling. "He had a great energy about him in terms of the way he conducted himself."

Unfortunately for the Jets, Favre's arm gave out, the team collapsed in the home stretch, it missed the playoffs, and Mangini was fired.

In came Ryan, who cleared out almost the entire coaching staff, including Quinn. But there was something different about Quinn's departure. People remember how a variety of staffers, from the video department to the grounds crew, showed up to say goodbye -- a reflection of his popularity.

Quinn went to Seattle, where he was introduced to Idzik, then a Seahawks executive. Quinn stayed for two years and returned this season, with a two-year stint as the University of Florida defensive coordinator sandwiched in between. He was Carroll's immediate choice to replace Gus Bradley, who left to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' coach.

Under Quinn, the Seahawks improved, going from No. 4 to No. 1 in total defense. Obviously, he inherited a tremendous amount of talent, but there's something to be said for not messing up a good thing. In some ways, he made it better, especially against the pass.

"He represents our mentality and our approach really well, that's why we were so excited to get him back," Carroll said. "He's everything beyond what I thought he'd be. He was able to not just capture [our philosophy], but accent it, doing it in his fashion."

Quinn has worked for polar opposites in Carroll and Mangini. Carroll is laid back, the epitome of California cool. Mangini is rigid and uptight, a micromanager. But Quinn liked his time with Mangini, praising his organizational skills and saying "there was an upper level of thinking with Eric."

Carroll has a Mr. Nice Guy reputation, but he challenges his assistants in the meeting room, seeing how they respond in hypothetical game situations. Of course, there's a soft edge.

"There are a lot of different ways to do the job," Quinn said.

Quinn has drawn attention around the league. During the Seahawks' playoff bye, he interviewed for the Cleveland Browns' head-coach vacancy. He might have landed the job, but he was penalized by the Seahawks' success. The Browns didn't want to wait for Quinn, so they hired Mike Pettine.

"No complaints on my end," said Quinn, who will be a hot candidate next year.

What's to complain about? He's preparing for a Super Bowl in East Rutherford, N.J., where he spent part of his youth cheering for his champions. If he wins Sunday, he'll walk among them

Can't really blame a GM for not wanting to come here after the way the last one was so unfairly treated by the media, fans and most importantly the owner.

you can't be serious with this post.  

Idzik amassed a ton of good will with the owner, media, and fan-base after 2013.   Idzik put the bullseye squarely on his own back with his mis-management of the CB position, his insistence to push all in with Geno, and his refusal to make a single move in the draft.  

Idzik has no one to blame but himself.  If he fielded a competent team and had the same results he would have had the chance to pick his own coach.   With Geno's regression, Pryor sucking, and the gaping hole at CB Idzik didn't earn the right to return.   He was so bad he'll likely never get another shot at this again.  

Also, you are totally wrong about the length of time people get, the corporate world is not the NFL and it is very unusual to have a gm fired after only two years, in reality a year and a half since he was saddled with the previous regime in many ways his 1st year.

that is funny, and completely wrong.

You don't come into a new leadership position, post almost no results for 2 years and keep your job.. Not the way it works in any successful company that I know of. If you post just avg results you are under pressure after 12-18 months, Idzik level results and you are out on your ass

Is Woody really that much different than Kraft?  I mean does anyone think with Belicheck running the show that Kraft is totally hands off?  That he wasn't consulted on signing Hernandez to a long term deal, or bringing in a "trouble maker" like Randy Moss?  Don't the Patriots and every other NFL team have a Neil Glat guy worried about protecting the brand and maximizing profits?  I don't think the Jets organization is any more dysfunctional than any other NFL team.  The basic difference is the skills of the people working for the Jets both on and off the field are inferior to many other teams.  Woody is trying to address this.  Hopefully he makes good hires. The notion that working for the Jets is career quicksand vs. the Bears or any other team for that matter just seems like made up BS to me.

that is funny, and completely wrong.

You don't come into a new leadership position, post almost no results for 2 years and keep your job.. Not the way it works in any successful company that I know of. If you post just avg results you are under pressure after 12-18 months, Idzik level results and you are out on your ass

Wrong again, as you were before.  You think Idzik sucks and should have been fired.  No problem there.,  Trying to bend actual history to suit your arguement is a fail.  You made the comparision to corporate jobs, gms do not just get fired after 2 years as a rule, it is the exception, even if they deserve to be fired after two years they rarely are because it takes more than two years to make changes to a team to suit a vision.

he was given a ridiculous dozen draft picks and a mountain of cap space in 2014.  With all that, he still sh!t the bed.  Incompetent moron. 

Was given?  wthell are you talking about?  He generated the draft picks, he got rid of the dead wood, he created the cap space.  Good lord people are dense about this guy as a gm.  He failed badly in the draft, certainly the lower end and his stop gap fa at CB was terrible,  Fota all of how 'awful' idzik was, the new gm will be stepping into a great situation.

Decent number of draft picks including a high one, lots of cap space and not too much dead wood contracts to deal with AND a new head coach.

Wrong again, as you were before.  You think Idzik sucks and should have been fired.  No problem there.,  Trying to bend actual history to suit your arguement is a fail.  You made the comparision to corporate jobs, gms do not just get fired after 2 years as a rule, it is the exception, even if they deserve to be fired after two years they rarely are because it takes more than two years to make changes to a team to suit a vision.

Dude are you crazy.. If you get hired to head Marketing or Sales for a retail company and sales are in the toilet after 2 years, you think you keep your job and are given a chance to grow? lmao.. This isn't a guy who was treading water, this season was a disaster and he's the man in charge.

Perform or your out.

Exactly. I'm really not interested in candidates worried about what NY will do to them if it turns out that they suck.

Totally agree, it's a defeatist mentality imo, why would you want that leading your organization?

Dude are you crazy.. If you get hired to head Marketing or Sales for a retail company and sales are in the toilet after 2 years, you think you keep your job and are given a chance to grow? lmao.. This isn't a guy who was treading water, this season was a disaster and he's the man in charge.

Perform or your out.

I don't follow. Can you use the term "widgets" in your presentation?

Was given?  wthell are you talking about?  He generated the draft picks, he got rid of the dead wood, he created the cap space.  Good lord people are dense about this guy as a gm.  He failed badly in the draft, certainly the lower end and his stop gap fa at CB was terrible,  Fota all of how 'awful' idzik was, the new gm will be stepping into a great situation.

Decent number of draft picks including a high one, lots of cap space and not too much dead wood contracts to deal with AND a new head coach.

Dense?  When it comes to Idzik, it's you who is denser than a slab of granite.

Anyone's grandmother could have made the cuts to clear cap space. That was nothing special at all.  I'd expect any accountant type like Idzik to be able to do so, but to claim that it was something 'special'  is idiotic.  And anyone could have let FAs walk generating more comp picks.  That's no big deal either.  Anyone here could have done that.  The fact is that he completely whiffed on two drafts but for Richardson and was Godawful in free agency.  He quickly developed a reputation around the league as being a stubborn, immovable negotiator thereby making the Jets an awful team for other teams to negotiate with.  He pulled off the Revis trade getting a pair of picks, I'll give him credit for that but that was more a matter of Tampa Bay's utter incompetence than Idzik's "smarts".  The Tampa GM lost his job after that season primarily because the stupidity of that trade was obvious to all.  Overall Idzik demonstrated time and time again that he was in way over his head, that he had no business even sniffing the seat of a real GM's chair and that he should forever remain a bookkeeper for salary cap purposes in the future. Dense?  LOL.   Idzik sucked to high holy heaven, perhaps one of the worst GM choices in the history of the league.  

Anyone's grandmother could have made the cuts to clear cap space. That was nothing special at all.  I'd expect any accountant type like Idzik to be able to do so, but to claim that it was something 'special'  is idiotic.  

Seriously.. Cutting is easy, cutting and remaining competitive and fielding a solid roster.. that's the challange and where he failed big time.. Our roster the past 2 seasons was garbage

Archived