Who is Dan Quinn?

Shockwave

Theres multiple threads with this guy and it seems we are about to hire him. But when you read through them there is a constant reminder that most don't even know who he is? I consistently read about him developing young talent. About him being the Reason for Seattle's top defense. This would not be true. 

Quinn was a Dline coach for the Jets, Niners and Dolphins, and Seahawks before heading to be the Defensive Coordinator of the Florida Gators for 2011 and 2012 seasons. So No - He was not on the Seahawks nor did he have ANYTHING to do with developing players on the roster in 2011/2012 and vast majority of last years championship team.  

So What did Dan Quinn inherit? At what point were those defensive players at in their careers when he MET them for the first time? 

In 2012 while Gus Bradley was the defensive Coordinator of Seattle 

- Richard Sherman was elected to be a First Team All Pro in 2012. 

- Kam Chancellor made the Pro Bowl in 2012 then got signed to an extension. 

- Earl Thomas made the Pro Bowl and 2nd team All Pro in 2012. 

- Bobby Wagner had already had a huge rookie season with 140 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 int. 

- Bruce Irvin the teams first round draft pick had 8 sacks in 2012. 

- Brandon Browner was a Pro Bowler in 2012. 

The Seattle Seahawks of 2012 were first in the league allowing only 245 points. This team was already developed and dominant.  Add the above number 1 defense with Free Agents Cliff Avril, and Michael Bennet in 2013 which were already established very good players and you get the recipe for a man handed a stud defense. 

Seahawks Points given up on Defense 

2012 - 245 - While Quinn was a college DC. 

2013 - 231

2014 - 254

He was a guy that was handed the best defense in the league then handed Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett on top of that. He had absolutely no part in developing any of these guys as he wasn't on the team in 2011/2012. 

And what did the defensive coordinator before him that lead the league in points allowed in 2012? Look at the Jaguars for your answers for better or worse. Its early but they were the 26th defense in scoring this year. 28th last year. I do like their direction though and how the GM there drafted. 

This isn't a post to hate on Dan Quinn. He's a top two guy to me for this job and I do like him. I like that he is young, a former Jet and has ties to our future GM. I like that he has upside that I don't think Doug Marrone has. The Seahawks have a very simple system that allows players to play fast which I love. Lastly I think we would do better in a 4-3. He is a good candidate - But people should know who he is and he who isn't.  Hes not coming here and developing Earl Thomas, Bruce Irvin, Chancelor, or Richard Sherman etc.  He inherited them. What is the best player he is inheriting in our secondary ? Marcus Williams? Don't expect that defense to come here. 

An article from 2012.....

How the hell did the Seahawks build an elite defense?

Wes Welker of the New England Patriots is hit by Kam Chancellor of the Seattle Seahawks.

Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images

Great defenses often have an intentionality to their construction. The Ravens spend their early draft picks on defensive players, and they talk up their defense. One would never think of the Ravens without thinking of Reed and Lewis and Suggs and Ngata and all the rest. The Jets hired an architect of the Ravens' defense (Rex Ryan), signed a linchpin of the Ravens' defense (Bart Scott), and then spent three of Ryan's first four first-rounders on defenders. The 49ers built their recent success on their own first-rounders—Patrick Willis and Aldon Smith—other teams' first rounders—Justin Smith, Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers—and an old Ravens coach, Vic Fangio, as coordinator.

Great defenses announce themselves. So how did the Seahawks build the league's best defense without anyone noticing? Their big coaching hire, in 2010, was Pete Carroll—who last coordinated a defense in 1996. Carroll is, as far as any outsider can tell, the Seahawks' cruise director. Their defensive coordinator is a fellow named Gus Bradley, who has held the job since Jim Mora's hilarious season in charge.

Bradley has never been interviewed for another team's head-coaching vacancy. He is part of no great coaching tree: He coached under Monte Kiffin for three years in Tampa, which essentially makes him a disciple of Lane Kiffin's top lieutenant. Yeah. And before that, he was the defensive coordinator for the North Dakota State Bison, where he punted in the late 1980s. During the years Bradley ran their defense—1997-2002 and 2005—the Bison went 53-26. He coached current NFLers Craig Dahl, Ramon Humber, and Joe Mays, and in his final season, with all three there, Bradley's unit led the Great West conference in scoring defense and total defense.

The cameras don't often cut to Bradley on the sidelines, and announcers don't extol his scheme, because his scheme doesn't draw attention to itself. In recent years, the league's great defenses—save the Bears'—have been 3-4 affairs, with complex blitzes and coverages heavily influenced by the Patriots and Ravens. This is to say nothing of whatever the hell Dom Capers is doing in Green Bay, where he will throw seemingly random combinations of linemen and linebackers out on the field. Color commentators love these schemes. The Seahawks run a 4-3, the white bread of defensive schemes.

But there's plenty of note going on in the Seahawks' 4-3 to make it more textured than the variants one might see in Minnesota or Buffalo. On rushing downs, the Seahawks do play something like a 3-4: they have four down linemen, but three of them are defensive tackles—big ones, like Alan Branch, Red Bryant, and Brandon Mebane. Together the three weigh 959 pounds. A pass-rushing end, usually Chris Clemons, will stand apart from the three linemen and try to beat the tackle one-on-one. The Seahawks call this man the "Leo," presumably because it sounds cool. On third downs or in obvious passing situations, Seattle might throw two Leos into their formation, with rookie phenom Bruce Irvin (who has 4.5 sacks already, despite playing only a third of Seattle's defensive snaps) playing opposite Clemons (who has 5.5 sacks). Then the Seahawks' line looks like the "wide nine" everyone talked about with the Eagles last year, except it actually works.

The Seahawks back up their front with the league's best and baddest secondary. (Seattle's linebackers—K.J. Wright, Bobby Wagner, and Leroy Hill—have all played well this year, but the Seahawks play a lot of nickel, and the linebackers aren't terribly essential to their scheme. Hill told John Clayton as much earlier this year: "The front four is a lot more important in Pete's scheme than it was in the previous [linebacker-heavy] regime.") No corps hits as hard collectively as Seattle's does, with Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, and mouthy Richard Sherman bruising receivers in front of Earl Thomas, the deep safety. To wit, here's Browner's hit on Wes Welker this week.

welker-hit.gif

Browner is a cornerback. He hits like Ray Lewis. Where'd Browner—who has coverage skills, too; he deflected 23 passes and picked six off last year—come from? The Canadian Football League, of course. Browner went undrafted out of Oregon State in 2005, spent a year on injured reserve with the Broncos, and then he headed to the Calgary Stampeders. He made three all-star teams there before stepping into the Seahawks' lineup and starting every game. Browner is 28, but this is only his second season in the NFL—so it's conceivable he could get better. Sherman, the corner who taunted Tom Brady, made his NFL debut in 2011, too. At Stanford, he converted from receiver after an injury. He played two seasons there at corner before the Seahawks drafted him in the fifth round. What did he do when he showed up in Seattle? According to the Football Outsiders almanac, he had a 66 percent success rate when targeted on passes—that was second-best in the NFL. The Seahawks' safeties do their job, too. Against the run last year, Kam Chancellor, the strong safety, ranked 13th in Football Outsiders' success rate. Thomas ranked 10th. Both were in their sophomore seasons. The only elder in Seattle's defensive backfield is one-time All-Pro Marcus Trufant, who's 32. Trufant isn't the player he once was, but Seattle asks him only to play nickelback on about half of the team's snaps. He's handled the role well so far.

Aside from Thomas, the Seahawks' secondary isn't pedigreed. (This is not the norm among elite defenses. The Ravens' secondary has no one picked below the third round, and the Jets' secondary has three first-rounders.) Browner, Chancellor, and Sherman share two characteristics in addition to their onetime undesirability as prospects: They're all tall—Browner is six-foot-four, Chancellor and Sherman are both six-foot-three—and physical. Browner led the league in penalties last year, and his teammates were flagged often too: Seattle was in the top 10 for penalties in all the coverage-related categories (defensive holding, pass interference, illegal contact).

I put this in another thread, but what really interests me in Quinn is the fact that he was the DC of Florida for a couple of years. 

That's telling to me because the only thing worth a damn under Muschamp was the defenses. That tells me Quinn can develop talent by himself.

In fact, I found this tweet.

Will Muschamp got an extra year at Florida cause of Dan Quinn. No way we go 11-2 with Durkin at DC.

That's an interesting opinion.

Good post. None of us know sh*t. We just have to hope that the involvement of Casserly and Wolf increases the likelihood of us making a good hire.

Would certainly prefer someone from the other side of the ball, with more experience, but what do I know

Finally, thank god someone posted this. This guy had nothing to do with Seahawks success. I could've coached that defense to the top of the league. Maybe he will be a good hc, no one knows. But I will say that I for one am not in favor of a guy whose main claim to fame is inheriting a defense that is considered by many to be one of the greatest of all time.

I put this in another thread, but what really interests me in Quinn is the fact that he was the DC of Florida for a couple of years. 

That's telling to me because the only thing worth a damn under Muschamp was the defenses. That tells me Quinn can develop talent by himself.

In fact, I found this tweet.

Will Muschamp got an extra year at Florida cause of Dan Quinn. No way we go 11-2 with Durkin at DC.

That's an interesting opinion.

what could possibly go wrong when picking the NYJ Head Coach based on the opinion of "gatorskickass"

Finally, thank god someone posted this. This guy had nothing to do with Seahawks success. I could've coached that defense to the top of the league. Maybe he will be a good hc, no one knows. But I will say that I for one am not in favor of a guy whose main claim to fame is inheriting a defense that is considered by many to be one of the greatest of all time.

"Had?"

They won the SB by completely dismantling the best offense in football last year, and look like a favorite to win this year as the D has only allowed about 7 points per week for the last couple months.

The argument is that Quinn inherited a good defense, and didn't develop every player, but you can't say he's had nothing to do with their success, when the success is happening now, with him being part of it.

"Had?"

They won the SB by completely dismantling the best offense in football last year, and look like a favorite to win this year as the D has only allowed about 7 points per week for the last couple months.

The argument is that Quinn inherited a good defense, and didn't develop every player, but you can't say he's had nothing to do with their success, when the success is happening now, with him being part of it.

so what is the allure with Quinn?    The Jets need an offensive staff to develop a QB for the first time in forever and I don't understand what exactly Quinn brings to the table.  

I don't understand how they could go all the way to Seattle and not at least have a conversation with Bevell.   Wilson was good in college but no where near as good as he's been in the NFL.    Someone (not quinn) is responsible for that development.  

Quinn seems like a poor man's gus bradley.  

so what is the allure with Quinn?    The Jets need an offensive staff to develop a QB for the first time in forever and I don't understand what exactly Quinn brings to the table.  

I don't understand how they could go all the way to Seattle and not at least have a conversation with Bevell.   Wilson was good in college but no where near as good as he's been in the NFL.    Someone (not quinn) is responsible for that development.  

I posted an article about him the other day, when I have time I'll see if I can re-find it. 

Here is that article: 

Summary of how I'm looking at this guy, he's got endorsement from a lot of people that know better than I do. If you recall, we hired Rex in spite of the fact that he couldn't get a job elsewhere, while Quinn is sought after. I also like that he's shown that he has a plan in mind for how to be successful, making it clear he's got standards around who he is willing to work with. Rex was just happy to take a job, he didn't seem to give a crap what he inherited and such.

I don't know anything beyond the information that's out there. So far, I feel there have been more positive attributes surfaced, than negative. I think this argument over whether Quinn is a product of the talent on the Seattle roster is relevant, but at the end of the day, even if Quinn didn't "develop" all of the studs on that D, he's shown he knows how to game plan for them to dominate. 

That's all I can go on.

"Quinn seems like a poor man's Gus Bradley" - Thats exactly what most should be worried about. This defense isn't scheme dependent nor did he develop any young players into stars these last two years. Theres even a case to be made that Bevell did a much better job there based on what he was working with. 

Good post. None of us know sh*t. We just have to hope that the involvement of Casserly and Wolf increases the likelihood of us making a good hire.

Would certainly prefer someone from the other side of the ball, with more experience, but what do I know

Thanks. I think thats what it really comes down to - Trusting Casserly and Wolf.  I surely wanted an offensive guy as well but I don't think we even interviewed one. In the end it seems getting that stud coach or Franchise QB depends on the time at which you have an opening and luck. The Jets surely have not had the right timing in either department. Its a sh*tty QB year, and a sh*tty coach year. 

Last year you could have grabbed Obrien, and David Carr/Bridgwater near the second round. This year theres no offensive coach and you have to hope youll be lucky enough to reach for Connor Cook in the top ten. 

"Quinn seems like a poor man's Gus Bradley" - Thats exactly what most should be worried about. This defense isn't scheme dependent nor did he develop any young players into stars these last two years. Theres even a case to be made that Bevell did a much better job there based on what he was working with. 

Thanks. I think thats what it really comes down to - Trusting Casserly and Wolf.  I surely wanted an offensive guy as well but I don't think we even interviewed one. In the end it seems getting that stud coach or Franchise QB depends on the time at which you have an opening and luck. The Jets surely have not had the right timing in either department. Its a sh*tty QB year, and a sh*tty coach year. 

Last year you could have grabbed Obrien, and David Carr/Bridgwater near the second round. This year theres no offensive coach and you have to hope youll be lucky enough to reach for Connor Cook in the top ten. 

We interviewed Frank Reich and Doug Marrone

so what is the allure with Quinn? The Jets need an offensive staff to develop a QB for the first time in forever and I don't understand what exactly Quinn brings to the table.

I don't understand how they could go all the way to Seattle and not at least have a conversation with Bevell. Wilson was good in college but no where near as good as he's been in the NFL. Someone (not quinn) is responsible for that development.

Bevell is not even mentioned as a bottom tier candidate. He won't be a head coach, ever.

Quinn is twice the coordinator and has done better than Bradley. Quinn is also widely regarded as the number one head coaching candidate.

Archived