Chan Gailey to be OC (per SNY) (MERGED)

David Harris

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Gailey is almost certainly an instant short-timer is part of the problem I have with the hire. The Jets need stability on that side of the ball. They need to build something. The parts they have are disjointed. I'd prefer a longer term vision over there to a quick fix.

Agreed.  And its not like Gailey has some incredible history of implementing a systems that has lasting success...especially in the passing game.  He's implemented some solid run games though...so yay!!!!!!!!! 

Agreed.  And its not like Gailey has some incredible history of implementing a systems that has lasting success...especially in the passing game.  He's implemented some solid run games though...so yay!!!!!!!!! 

I am too lazy to do this research, but it is amusing watching the lemmings all talk themselves into how this was an epic hire

But serious question has the guy ever fielded a top offense? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

Bryce Petty is HATED by Walter Football.

Baylor_logo.gif Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 230. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.75. 
Projected Round (2015): 4-6. 

1/10/15: WalterFootball.com knows that multiple NFL teams view Petty as a third-day prospect despite the hype from some draft pundits. 

The view of league contacts was justified by Petty's performance in 2014. His accuracy was inconsistent, and he missed a lot of wide-open receivers that any NFL quarterback has to connect with. To help himself, Petty finished the year well against Michigan State, including a number of accurate deep balls. He needs a strong week at the Senior Bowl. 

Petty completed 63 percent of his passes in 2014 for 3,855 yards with 29 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He had six rushing touchdowns. Petty needs to improve in his pocket passing and accuracy.

8/27/14: 2013 was an impressive debut season for Petty as Baylor's starting quarterback. The dual-threat quarterback could definitely improve as a pocket passer now that he has gained a year of experience. Petty completed 62 percent of his passes last year for 4,200 yards with 32 touchdowns and three interceptions. He ran for 339 yards and 14 touchdowns as well. Petty backed up Robert Griffin III and Nick Florence for three seasons. 

Personal: Son of Todd and Dena Petty. Graduated in May of 2013 with a degree in health science studies.

I am too lazy to do this research, but it is amusing watching the lemmings all talk themselves into how this was an epic hire

But serious question has the guy ever fielded a top offense? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

Please tell me that this hire has not been confirmed or officially announced by the Jets yet. 

I still don't know the connection between Gailey and Bowles. 

I used to think that getting OC's with HC'ing experience is a huge bonus, especially for coaches who know nothing about offense...but then we saw how that worked out with Sparano and Marty.

The bottom line is the QB position but Gailey does nothing for me...but whatever. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can turn this offense around because I dont expect Bowles too. 

Difference was Sparano sucked as OC. Gailey is a pretty good OC. Check out Buffalo Bills boards who have good things to say about Gailey.  As Rotoworld said of Gailey "He was Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing."

"Gailey, 63, has been out of the league since being fired as the Bills' head coach following the 2012 season, but he was Bowles' top choice to run the offense. Gailey went 16-32 across three seasons in Buffalo, but was able to make Ryan Fitzpatrick a serviceable starting quarterback and squeezed 1,703 total yards and eight touchdowns on 250 touches out of C.J. Spiller in an electrifying 2012 campaign. If the Jets choose to keep Percy Harvin at his $10.5 million salary, it could mean big things for him. Gailey likes to spread his offense out and run fast. He was Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing. We like the hire for the Jets."

For what its worth, this is the Rotoworld review.

"Gailey, 63, has been out of the league since being fired as the Bills' head coach following the 2012 season, but he was Bowles' top choice to run the offense. Gailey went 16-32 across three seasons in Buffalo, but was able to make Ryan Fitzpatrick a serviceable starting quarterback and squeezed 1,703 total yards and eight touchdowns on 250 touches out of C.J. Spiller in an electrifying 2012 campaign. If the Jets choose to keep Percy Harvin at his $10.5 million salary, it could mean big things for him. Gailey likes to spread his offense out and run fast. He was Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing. We like the hire for the Jets."

For what its worth, this is the Rotoworld review.

Why? Where did they get that info from?

Please tell me that this hire has not been confirmed or officially announced by the Jets yet. 

I still don't know the connection between Gailey and Bowles. 

Caserly from the Skins, and Parcells right here and in Dallas, which always carries weight with Johnson. 

The fact that Gailey is almost certainly an instant short-timer is part of the problem I have with the hire. The Jets need stability on that side of the ball. They need to build something. The parts they have are disjointed. I'd prefer a longer term vision over there to a quick fix.

Your theory here holding true would be a best case scenario. Guess we'll have to see how Gailey fills out his staff to get a better idea.

Hating OCs around here has been a steady and well-founded tradition. Herm sucked, but that doesn't mean that Hackett or Heimerdinger weren't as bad or worse. Mangini is a psychopath, but that doesn't make Schottenheimer any good. Sparano will never be an offensive coordinator again, and never should've been.

Dan Henning was the last best OC we've had on the Jets, and before him it was Joe Walton. That's the history. Hating the OC the moment he's hired is pragmatic.

Could be Gailey stays a year or 2, then goes to the Tom Moore/consultant role,. Which means the QB coach is a verey important hire because if things work that guy slides into the OC slot. 

You gotta be sh*tting me! Chan ******* Gailey, ****ed until this changes. Horrible hire.

You haven't heard the half of it, man. Rumor has it that the Jets are making Gailey the first full control OC in NFL history. He will make the final decision on all roster moves and run the draft from his ranch in Amarillo, TX. And there's a quote from him in the National Enquirer that says he has always wondered how teams would defend it if Tim Tebow, Terrell Pryor, Antwuan Randle El, Kordell Stewart, and former Hornets guard Rex Chapman were all on the field at the same time.

We are F*cked with a capital F.

You haven't heard the half of it, man. Rumor has it that the Jets are making Gailey the first full control OC in NFL history. He will make the final decision on all roster moves and run the draft from his ranch in Amarillo, TX. And there's a quote from him in the National Enquirer that says he has always wondered how teams would defend it if Tim Tebow, Terrell Pryor, Antwuan Randle El, Kordell Stewart, and former Hornets guard Rex Chapman were all on the field at the same time.

We are F*cked with a capital F.

I prefer remembering Rex for his time on the Suns. Still remember that crazy shot he made falling out of bounds in the playoffs.

He's going to bring some serious grit to the offense.

@DWAZ73: Spoke to Cowher on Gailey: "He's not married to a certain system. I think the biggest thing with Chan is that he's got diversity." #Jets

@DWAZ73: Gailey was on Cowher's staff for 4 seasons in Pittsburgh. "He's selfless, he's loyal and I think he'll be a great resource to Todd." #Jets

I prefer remembering Rex for his time on the Suns. Still remember that crazy shot he made falling out of bounds in the playoffs.

He's going to bring some serious grit to the offense.

I think I remember him as a Hornet because he played for them on Tecmo NBA Basketball.

Despite disdain over this guy, he's my choice of QB for the 2015 Draft.

Personally, I think we're too low to get either the Duck or the Rapist, Mannion can be (likely) had in the mid-4th/5th area (i.e. cheap investment), and is a standard pocket passer with size, arm strength, and classic skills (that need some development, so no rush to play him too soon).

FA Veteran Journeyman QB #1

Geno Smith #2

Sean Mannion #3

In a year, Smith is dumped, Mannion moves to #2 AND/OR we draft another QB.

Year #3 Mannion is the #1 OR we play 2014 Drafted QB OR we Draft a QB High in 2016.

We should never have a Simms on the roster, a guy with no upside or potential (as seen by the HEad Coach and GM).  

Our #3 should ALWAYS be seen as our potential #1 in a year/two.  Otherwise, draft a QB who can be seen that way.

This is exactly how I feel.  I have been talking about this for a long time. # 3 QB should not be a turd with no upside and no real potential to play in the league. He should be the project you hope will take the reigns at some point. I'm also a fan of having all three QB's having the same or at least similar skill sets. Makes no sense to have three different styles at the QB position. Groom them the same and get them all to be able to perform in the system. An effort to have very little drop off if someone goes down.

I lova you post.

Bill Cowher likes the move!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-gailey-perfect-fit-jets-bowles-cowher-article-1.2078358

Chan Gailey will be a perfect fit for Todd Bowles and NY Jets offense, says Bill Cowher

Bowles, the former Cardinals defensive coordinator, is smart enough to know his most important hire for the Jets will be on the other side of the ball at offensive coordinator.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 11:03 PM
  •  
Chan Gailey (l.) is expected to be the Jets next offensive coordinator and, according to former colleague Bill Cowher, he's the right man for the job.

Bill Parcells’ cell phone was blowing up in South Florida as the 12th member of his coaching tree became an NFL head coach.

By the time he finished playing a round of golf Wednesday, he had 25 messages.

“I have a high regard for Todd,” Parcells said. “He has a lot of experience with a lot of different people and he’s a highly intelligent guy.”

The first call he received Wednesday morning, he answered.

It was 6 a.m. It was Bowles, the Jets’ new coach.

Todd Bowles appears to be set to bring in Gailey.

“He wanted to tell me he got the job,” Parcells said.

Parcells said it was Al Groh who actually hired Bowles as the Jets secondary coach in 2000 when Parcells was the GM. But Parcells later hired him to be on his staff in Dallas, and then, when he was running the Dolphins, he brought Bowles with him. Parcells first made a mental note about Bowles when he was he playing free safety for Washington against Parcells’ Giants.

“He was running the secondary at Washington,” Parcells said. “He was calling the defensive signals. You think I don’t take notice of that?”

BILLS PLAYER SAYS 'CREATIVE' GAILEY A GOOD PICK

Bowles, the former Cardinals defensive coordinator, is smart enough to know his most important hire for the Jets will be on the other side of the ball at offensive coordinator. All indications are it will be former Cowboys and Bills head coach Chan Gailey, who interviewed Tuesday with the Browns for their offensive coordinator job. Accepting Bowles’ offer is considered a formality, although Gailey told his lifelong friend Dan Reeves on Wednesday morning that he was praying over whether to get back into coaching.

It was in the last hiring cycle over one year ago that Bowles initially called Gailey to ask him to be his coordinator if he got a head coaching job. Gailey seems like an uninspiring choice. Where is the state-of-the art offensive mind needed to juice up a stagnant unit that has limited skill players and no quarterback?

Instead, the Jets are hiring a 63-year-old recycled coach who has been out of the league the last two years after compiling a 16-32 record in three years with the Bills. His offense finished 25th, 14th and 19th and in two of the three years scored fewer points than the Jets. Bowles also considered Marc Trestman, recently fired as the Bears head coach, but decided Gailey would be more adaptable to the Jets QB situation.

At first glance, Gailey is nothing to get excited about. But Bill Cowher and Reeves made a strong case Wednesday that Gailey will be the perfect guy not only to adapt his offense to whatever personnel new Jets GM Mike Maccagnan supplies him with, but he will be an excellent resource for Bowles in his first head coaching job. Can Gailey get Geno Smith straightened out?

“If there is anybody who can, I would take Chan,” Cowher said. “He’s been there before with players like him.”

Gailey worked for Cowher in Pittsburgh from 1994-97, the last two as offensive coordinator. Gailey can run the ball. He can run the spread offense. “He was probably the most resourceful coordinator I had,” Cowher said.

DAN BEINEKE/GETTY IMAGESBill Cowher gives Gailey a ringing endorsement.

“The best year Kordell Stewart had was in 1997. Chan did a fantastic job that year of taking his skill set and developing a very good offense around him. We went to the (AFC) championship game.”

Gailey worked as a Broncos assistant under Reeves from 1985-90 — they are both from Americus, Ga., and have known each other forever — and was John Elway’s QB coach in 1988 and his offensive coordinator the next two years. He has been an assistant coach in four Super Bowls — three losses with the Broncos and one with the Steelers.

“One of his strengths is elevating the quarterback position and making him better and the people around him better,” Reeves said. “He’s a really good football mind. He will do a great job.”

Gailey was two-for-two making the playoffs as the Cowboys head coach in 1998 and ’99, but didn’t win a playoff game and was fired after just two years.

Gailey had Troy Aikman at the end of his career in Dallas. He then had Jay Fiedler when he was the Dolphins coordinator in 2000-01, Tyler Thigpen when he worked for Herm Edwards in Kansas City in 2008 and then Ryan Fitzpatrick in his three years with the Bills. “He’s used to not having the most talented quarterbacks,” Cowher said.

Could Gailey turn Geno Smith into a better QB?

In a text message, Fitzpatrick told the Daily News, “Chan is a great offensive mind. He has the unique ability to adapt and maximize the talents of his personnel. I am excited to see him back on the field.”

Maccagnan will certainly investigate all avenues to upgrade the Jets’ quarterback situation. Whether he’s able to get Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota with the sixth pick in the draft or move up to get them or a veteran comes free like Jay Cutler, it will be up to Gailey to make it work.

Gailey had opportunities to get back into the NFL the last two years, but after being a head coach it’s not easy to step back into being a coordinator again. Cowher says there’s no doubt Gailey will be motivated.

“I thought I was competitive. He may be one of the most competitive guys I’ve ever been around,” Cowher said. “That’s what I loved about this guy. He’s not going to complain about what he doesn’t have. He will take what

he has and makes it work.”

Bowles was hired by Woody Johnson over Seattle’s Dan Quinn. It had nothing to do with Quinn (likely headed to Atlanta) not being available until the Seahawks are done playing. The Jets wanted Bowles.

Now he must extricate the Jets from the wreckage left behind by Rex Ryan just as his mentor Parcells cleaned up Rich Kotite’s mess 18 years ago.

I still don't like the move even after the Cowher endorsement. Which QB did Chan develop as an OC. Was it Ben ? Or was it Kordell Stewart or someone else.

JETS will need to draft a QB in this draft if they don't get one from the thin FA market. We need staff on the offensive side of the ball that have a clue on how to develop a QB. Not sure CHan is the guy.

I still don't like the move even after the Cowher endorsement. Which QB did Chan develop as an OC. Was it Ben ? Or was it Kordell Stewart or someone else.

JETS will need to draft a QB in this draft if they don't get one from the thin FA market. We need staff on the offensive side of the ball that have a clue on how to develop a QB. Not sure CHan is the guy.

No matter what the Jets need to add a QB. I'd like a veteran like Fitzpatrick and then draft a QB for the 3rd spot and let him sit and figure it out from the sidelines for a bit.

Gailey is a mistake IMO, too old, You would think Bowles has more offensive contacts than a 63 yr old retread.  Not impressed with the staff so far.  I think Quinn's staff would have been better. Who cares what Cowher thinks, he has been out of the league for so long and is friends with Chan.

It was in the last hiring cycle over one year ago that Bowles initially called Gailey to ask him to be his coordinator if he got a head coaching job.

Really hoping this is the case. If so, it means this organization is finally done with forcing people to work with each other, which has led to so much of the awfulness the past decade. Forcing coordinators on coaches and coaches on GMs...etc. In this instance we hired the GM, who hired the coach, who is hiring his staff. It is mind boggling to think that it took Woody 10 years to realize that is how you do sh*t.

Geno ran the spread at WVU if I'm not mistaken. Guys like Percy( if retained ) and JK could help him thrive. We still need another WR though. Imagine cooper and decker on the outside with Percy and Kerley on the inside in a spread offense. Just might work.

Likely they get a blocking TE in and Amaro has a great year.

Gailey is a mistake IMO, too old, You would think Bowles has more offensive contacts than a 63 yr old retread.  Not impressed with the staff so far.  I think Quinn's staff would have been better. Who cares what Cowher thinks, he has been out of the league for so long and is friends with Chan.

Cowher is probably the most overrated coach of all time.

I think Gailey will be fine. From everything we have been reading it seems like he plays to what the players strengths are and not the opposite. Some coaches have complicated systems and try to make players adapt to it. U have to be flexible. He will see what Geno can do and work with it while gradually working o n improving the other parts of his game. I don't think Marriota is the guy for us as he has a lot to work on for the NFL. Maybe Winston has the better tool set for us but we definitely need a veteran QB here if Geno will be the starter.

He could have it just seems odd to me. 

I am assuming this is a piece of info that leaked from one of Bowles' interviews. 

I'm hoping its not because Bowles was flummoxed from facing a Chan Gailey offense once. 

I doubt the bold, that's Rex logic. 

Anyway, after I took a minute to look at Gailey's background, and a couple of better informed posters here shared what they knew, I came away with the opinion that Gailey might have been part of Bowles "pitch".

Thinking about it, coming to the Jets and trying to earn the job - because that's what interviewers do, they try to earn the job, despite the talk around here that would have you think that interviews are where the Jets beg people to take jobs - I would assume Bowles put together a pitch on how to run with the talent that is already here. So, Geno. How do you inspire confidence that you can get something out of Geno? You come to the table with a veteran OC, who has a simpler-is-better philosophy, that has a history of designing offenses that get the most out of players with short-comings (Fitzpatrick, Kordell, Thigpen), and position it as "if we go with Geno then Chan will get more out of him than anyone else can, and if we get a different QB just imagine what Chan could do with a talented QB". 

I'm not in "love" with Gailey as the choice, mostly because of the stigma of his failure in Buffalo as HC, but I see the logic behind it and hope for the best. 

Archived