C Mart

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Jets are getting rid of Rod Graves also

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2015, 5:51 PM EST

Rod Graves

AP

The house-cleaning in the Jets front office isn’t limited to the college scouting side.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets are also going to part ways with executive Rod Graves.

Graves, formerly the General Manager of the Cardinals, was brought in two years ago to lend some personnel experience when John Idzik was hired as the Jets G.M.

As such, new Jets G.M. Mike Maccagnan didn’t feel compelled to keep him around, which shouldn’t be a surprise.

When the results merit firing the G.M. after two seasons, getting rid of the guys who helped him make those decisions can be easily justified.

All great moves. 

If we are going to trust our new GM he needs to be the Alpha in the room and start fresh. This group that compiled the last two horrendous drafts need to go elsewhere. 

Ever since the new hires came in you've been a top 3 poster.  Bravo.

I think this calls for an AVM writeup of your scouting report.

"The top poster on JetNation? Me," Ape told the Daily News in an interview Saturday. "I ain't gonna say that somebody else is better than me."

Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union reports that the Jaguars are interviewing Jets RBs coach Anthony Lynn for their offensive-coordinator vacancy on Saturday.

Jacksonville has already met with former Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett and Raiders OC Greg Olsen regarding the position this week.

The full list of candidates for the Jaguars’ position includes:

•Vikings RBs coach Kirby Wilson

•Jets RBs coach Anthony Lynn :bwahaharoll: 

•former Bears HC Marc Trestman

•former Bills HC Doug Marrone

•former Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett

•Raiders OC Greg Olsen

•Broncos OC Adam Gase

———-

———-

why is this funny ?  what do you know about lynn ?

why is this funny ?  what do you know about lynn ?

Lynn?---------As an Offensive Coordinator?

Did you see the other names on that list??

I laugh because

a) Jet offense sucked, therefore, anyone associated with Jet offense sucks.

B) There are way more established Offensive coaches on that list. Only way Lynn gets it is if the top 5 on that list of OC's/Hc's turn the Jags down

c) He's pretty much been a RB's coach his whole career(15 years) That tells me he's not a rising offensive mind

Coaching career[edit]

Upon retiring in 2000, he joined the Denver coaching staff as an offensive assistant and special teams coach (2000–02), before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars as the running backs coach (2003–04). He left Jacksonville after being switched to special teams coach following a coaching staff shakeup by head coach Jack Del Rio in 2005[1] and quickly joined the Dallas Cowboys staff as the running backs coach.[2] On January 26, 2007, with the retirement of Bill Parcells as Dallas head coach, Lynn signed on with the Cleveland Browns to fill their RB coach vacancy.[3]

Lynn was named the Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs coach for the New York Jets on February 1, 2012 under head coach Rex Ryan, and was subsequently interviewed for the Head Coach job in January, 2015 after Ryan left.

Tell you what, if he gets the job as OC, I will see if I can purchase an Anthony Lynn NFL Jersey and where it to the Jets home opener.

Lynn?---------As an Offensive Coordinator?

Did you see the other names on that list??

I laugh because

a) Jet offense sucked, therefore, anyone associated with Jet offense sucks.

B) There are way more established Offensive coaches on that list. Only way Lynn gets it is if the top 5 on that list of OC's/Hc's turn the Jags down

c) He's pretty much been a RB's coach his whole career(15 years) That tells me he's not a rising offensive mind

Coaching career[edit]

Upon retiring in 2000, he joined the Denver coaching staff as an offensive assistant and special teams coach (2000–02), before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars as the running backs coach (2003–04). He left Jacksonville after being switched to special teams coach following a coaching staff shakeup by head coach Jack Del Rio in 2005[1] and quickly joined the Dallas Cowboys staff as the running backs coach.[2] On January 26, 2007, with the retirement of Bill Parcells as Dallas head coach, Lynn signed on with the Cleveland Browns to fill their RB coach vacancy.[3]

Lynn was named the Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs coach for the New York Jets on February 1, 2012 under head coach Rex Ryan, and was subsequently interviewed for the Head Coach job in January, 2015 after Ryan left.

Tell you what, if he gets the job as OC, I will see if I can purchase an Anthony Lynn NFL Jersey and where it to the Jets home opener.

so you had to google it

k

so you had to google it

k

That shows you how little impact he has had in larger capacities... he's only ever been known to us as a RB coach.

I'm sure he's a nice guy.... but do you think the Jags fans would be satisfied with a life long RB coach as their new OC? C'mon...get serious.

What would your reaction be if he was promoted as the Jets OC?  Yeah, I thought so.... let's move on shall we?

That shows you how little impact he has had in larger capacities... he's only ever been known to us as a RB coach.

I'm sure he's a nice guy.... but do you think the Jags fans would be satisfied with a life long RB coach as their new OC? C'mon...get serious.

What would your reaction be if he was promoted as the Jets OC?  Yeah, I thought so.... let's move on shall we?

He did a nice job with Bilal Powell.

Actually, I don't always get like this. I wasn't sure what to make of the Herm hiring, but I wasn't happy at all about Parcells leaving. I doubt anything would have made me happy. I thought the Mangini hire was insane. Literally no qualifications at all, other than being Bill's underling. Made me furious from day one. I was also very skeptical of Rex, mostly because there were other coaches I wanted at the time. I eventually got caught up in those first 2 years, but it never stopped me from chirping about my concerns with him. Once the veterans stopped covering for his sloppiness, everything that concerned me came true. I was REALLY not a fan of retaining him when Tanny was hired, especially because I wanted us to hire Bruce Arians.

So, the optimism I feel about Bowles right now is not routine for me. It feels different to me. About 30 minutes ago I was watching Cro talk about Bowles on NFL Network, and the way he described Bowles was "I played with Rex and Thurman, they were smart guys, BUT Bowles learns every player he has, he knows everyone's limitations and puts them in position to succeed..." I'm partially paraphrasing from memory, but the way he described him... sounds like he's "next level" compared to Rex. 

The thing I like is that there's been no pomp and circumstance, we just hired a coaches coach, and we're going about our business. It feels different, like completely different. I may be acting naive, but I'm just reacting to what my gut is telling me. I may end up sounding foolish, like with Idzik, I had to insist on giving him the benefit of the doubt. I ignored my gut in favor of being idealistic about having the right outlook. Couldn't have been more wrong. I don't have any of that feeling with Bowles. I'm not worried about him, and don't feel he needs benefit of the doubt. The positivity just feels natural. 

Couldn't agree more. I haven't felt as positive about a move that the Jets made since Parcells. Hated the Rex signing, got caught up in his personality but realized in season 3 it was smoke and mirrors and would only get worse, and I was crucified on the boards for saying it. A month or so ago I posted a list of things we needed to do but never thought we would actually do:

Fire Rex, Idzik, Bradway, Lal, Lee 

And then it all happened. I am really excited that we are going down the right path. I have never heard of a coach that no one criticizes but Bowles is that guy. Usually there is some flaw they will highlight especially if he is a Jet, but everyone from coaches to GMs and especially players think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. And not because he is a player's coach, but because he has that rare combination of being able to be stern while still getting ultimate respect from his players.

And then poor Buffalo. Literally recreating the exact staff there, with the exception of a much worse OC. How can people look at the last four years of Rex, then look at Buffalo which is in an incredibly similar makeup to the Jets, and think he will do anything other than continue his last four years. It is baffling.

lol, no it shows you have no real opinion of him based on knowledge or fact, you had to google it

john harbaugh was a ST coach before getting the HC job in baltimore.   imagine the ravens fans reaction at his hiring !!

just admit you couldn't pick him out of a lineup and know nothing about him

funny to think, but is a tannenbaum listens to Bradway and drafts Wilson, Tanny Bradway and Rex are probably still here

Probably is the key word. I have a hard time believing Rex would have benched Sanchez for Wilson, no matter what would have made sense at the time. 

This is true, but I think the problem with Woody is that he is a Jets fan and as a trust fund baby was never a businessman. He gets overcome by personality, so he obviously fell for Bradway and Rex who outlived their shelf lives. Remember, Woody didn't even want to fire Herm who deserved it. Herm wanted to get out. Its telling that the two guys without personality, Mangini and Idzik were fired in a short period. Neither could seduce Woody like Bradway and Rex.

That's very interesting actually. I didn't look at it from that angle before your post. I wonder what that could mean for Mac and Bowles if he is mediocre over the next year or two as they rebuild the team. Both will never inspire the cult of personality.

lol, no it shows you have no real opinion of him based on knowledge or fact, you had to google it

john harbaugh was a ST coach before getting the HC job in baltimore.   imagine the ravens fans reaction at his hiring !!

just admit you couldn't pick him out of a lineup and know nothing about him

I'd have no reason to know what a career RB coach would look like... they all look the same to me. :winking0001:

• 1 year later...

Archived