Revis viewed NE as a one year deal

UnitedWhofans

Not surprising. 

Revis is a shrewd business man. A mercenary cornerback. 

Its frustrating as a fan who wants that type of talent for a long period, but its genius as a guy getting the most out of his talent monetarily. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising. 

Revis is a shrewd business man. A mercenary cornerback. 

Its frustrating as a fan who wants that type of talent for a long period, but its genius as a guy getting the most out of his talent monetarily. 

I have no issue with revis being a mercenary. there is no loyalty in any sport. get best deal every yr. Football contracts are a farce. Owners break them every day of the yr

The majority of Pats fans would like to keep Revis but not if its going to cripple the team financially.

Exactly. Smart Pats fans think that way. Unfortunately, the vocal fans believe "Oh, Revis has changed by being touched by the hands of Belichick. He's not the same guy."

If Revis does leave, it will be comforting to know that human nature is hard to change

McCourty, Browner and Revis are all free agents, I believe. The Pats can't keep all of them.

Correction: Browner was signed to a 3 year deal, but I believe he brings a good cap hit with him

The majority of Pats fans would like to keep Revis but not if its going to cripple the team financially.

Agreed, If he wants Sherman,Haden,Peterson money, ok. 4 years and 48 mill I will be ok with. More than that he can walk. Brady's cap hit is 14 mill, I can't see how his value even comes close. If he wants the 14 mill I rater see the pats go with Maxwell, Cox, Cullver, Jackson and use the extra for McCourty. 

Exactly. Smart Pats fans think that way. Unfortunately, the vocal fans believe "Oh, Revis has changed by being touched by the hands of Belichick. He's not the same guy."

If Revis does leave, it will be comforting to know that human nature is hard to change

McCourty, Browner and Revis are all free agents, I believe. The Pats can't keep all of them.

Correction: Browner was signed to a 3 year deal, but I believe he brings a good cap hit with him

Why can't the pats keep all of them.  Revis 4 years 48 mill is in align with Sherman, 13 mill, haden, 12.5 and Peterson, 12 mill.   First year cap hit using the 30% rule can easily be 10 mill.  McCourty gets Weddle/Moore/Chancelor money of about 8 mill avearge, first year cap hit 6 mill, that is 16 mill and they already have 20 allocated to Revis so that saves them 4 mill.

Browner is about 3 mill plus 1100,

I just can't bring myself to hate Revis as much as I'm supposed to hate him.  No player in the NFL can count on getting a contract that pays well up front OR keeping said contract if the later years are too expensive.  Revis prefers to get paid as much as possible for each season he's in the league.  He's beating the system, even after an ACL tear.  I don't know of too many players in the league who have the balls to keep betting on themselves like that.

I just can't bring myself to hate Revis as much as I'm supposed to hate him.  No player in the NFL can count on getting a contract that pays well up front OR keeping said contract if the later years are too expensive.  Revis prefers to get paid as much as possible for each season he's in the league.  He's beating the system, even after an ACL tear.  I don't know of too many players in the league who have the balls to keep betting on themselves like that.

Revis has rolled the dice with all his contracts and came up smelling like roses each time.

Gotta give the guy credit, he has definately maximized his worth throughout his entire career.

Revis has rolled the dice with all his contracts and came up smelling like roses each time.

Gotta give the guy credit, he has definately maximized his worth throughout his entire career.

Now he gets to show the next gm the shiny ring and asks how he would like to get one.

Owners can't break contract guarantees Revis will break any deal he signs..

The only thing they can't break is bonus money. But all that back end sh*t they can.

That's why I love how the nfl runs their league compared to the other 3 major sports.

You don't have to stay financial ly attached to a ridiculous over paid contact

Whose Buffalos GM?

You know that Rex is burning up the phones telling Revis that he will pay him more.

No, I am think Oakland. They got 60mill in cap room. With Branch, Haden, Brown and Revis, that will be a superior defensive backfield.  If Suh is tagged, i think Revis becomes the target.  I can see the Bills in play for Cro, Perrish Cox, Thurmond to pair with Gilmour.  Rex needs to sign Hughes and Spikes  and get an olb to get Bradham off the field. and that is just on D,

And it would cost us 20 million for 1 year do to it. 

That wouldnt be nice at all. 

20 million?? How much do you think Cro is going to sign for? He just finished a $2.5 mil deal... He's not going to get any more than that from the Jets, or anybody else for that matter.

It's extremely within reason that the Jets could get both of them for $15 mil a year (13 for Revis and 2 for Cro). That leaves the defense absolutely set with $35 million left to sign whoever the hell else we want in free agency (assuming Harvin is released). 

How could you say no to that?

Yes, but the Bills new owner is enamored with Rex in every way.

Its like Rex has control of the check book.

That's awesome!

Rex with the Bills checkbook. He should have an awesome 2 year run & burn up like a f*cking Super Nova!

20 million?? How much do you think Cro is going to sign for? He just finished a $2.5 mil deal... He's not going to get any more than that from the Jets, or anybody else for that matter.

It's extremely within reason that the Jets could get both of them for $15 mil a year (13 for Revis and 2 for Cro). That leaves the defense absolutely set with $35 million left to sign whoever the hell else we want in free agency (assuming Harvin is released). 

Cro got 4 mill last year  2.25 salary, 1mill SB, 500,000 playing time/cards playoffs and 250,000 WO bonus.  And that was on a one year prove it deal. Cro will get 2 years 10 mill min. 

No he does not, Rex has no authority on the 53 man roster, he has full authority on the game day roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/74839/rex-ryan-will-report-directly-to-bills-owner-terry-pegula

Do you actually believe that Rex wont have say in what players he wants?

If Rex tells the owner that the Bills can beat NE and win a Super Bowl with Revis the owner will be all in.

Cromartie is coming off of a pro bowl season, he's not signing a 2 million dollar contract with the Jets.

I can see having to pay Revis anywhere between 14 and 15 million and Cromartie anywhere between 3.5 to 5 million. You can take either low or high numbers and it wouldnt matter. Putting that much money into two CB's over 30 years old when we're no where near where we need to be as a team would be a mistake. 

We past that opportunity with Revis We need young men to play the position and there are guys we can pick up in free agency that we can sign without throwing 15 million or 20 million at guys out of their prime. 

The Patriots pay Revis because they were 1 Revis player away, and it worked. Jet fans would pay Revis now, but not 3 years ago when we should have (remember all the Mevi$ comments?). I wouldnt mind signing Cro, but signing Revis at this stage would be based on regrets of not doing it when we were supposed to. Hopefully the Jets organization aren't living in the past to that extent. 

Cromartie is coming off of a pro bowl season, he's not signing a 2 million dollar contract with the Jets.

I can see having to pay Revis anywhere between 14 and 15 million and Cromartie anywhere between 3.5 to 5 million. You can take either low or high numbers and it wouldnt matter. Putting that much money into two CB's over 30 years old when we're no where near where we need to be as a team would be a mistake. 

We past that opportunity with Revis We need young men to play the position and there are guys we can pick up in free agency that we can sign without throwing 15 million or 20 million at guys out of their prime. 

The Patriots pay Revis because they were 1 Revis player away, and it worked. Jet fans would pay Revis now, but not 3 years ago when we should have (remember all the Mevi$ comments?). I wouldnt mind signing Cro, but signing Revis at this stage would be based on regrets of not doing it when we were supposed to. Hopefully the Jets organization aren't living in the past to that extent. 

The Jets will have around 50 million dollars to spend in free agency and IMO are two cornerbacks away from having an top 5 defense again, probably better (Two depends on how you feel about Milliner and McDougle, I think Milliner can play but who knows how he'll recover from a significant injury).

Revis will get paid, as we all have learned by now. He's proven he's worth the money and if he can come play for the Jets for two years before moving on again I'd be cool with that. I don't see him getting 14-15 million though unless it's from Rex in Buffalo. Very fair point about Cro, but Cromartie loves it in NY by all accounts and I think he'd take the same amount of money to follow his coach from Arizona and return to where he never wanted to leave in the first place.

If Maccagnan just signed one of them I wouldn't hate it one bit but in my opinion if the Jets can completely round out their defense by signing both of them. It would allow Milliner to return the right way and not force him to be the guy right away again coming off of an achilles tear. The Jets have to spend their money to win and the cornerback position is the absolute weakest spot on the team (not counting qb, which is not fixable in free agency). 

In summary it doesn't have to be Revis, but Cro should be a guaranteed signing for the Jets. I'd look at Buster Skrine too as well as anybody else... but if Revis is there and isn't commanding 16 million a season I would pull the trigger.

Then why do you post here if you don't care. What a dumbass.

I suspect he's some kind of shut in whose only joy in life is torturing strangers who have the misfortune of rooting for a sh*tty football team ..

this is a man who on his death bed will reflect back with pride at the meaningful and fulfilling life he's lead

Archived