If not Spiller here's my other sleeper

Jetster

Roy Helu! We already have the banger in Ivory, we need a pass catcher that's good in space like LT was for us in 2010.

Stuck behind Alfred Morris in Washington, Helu could be a gem as a bottom-tier free agent back in a stocked market and draft class. Helu is a one-cut runner who excels in the passing game. He averaged a whopping 11.7 yards per catch and was second in the NFL yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. Helu is a tackle-breaker who is more elusive than he appears at 215 pounds. His lack of touches means he's fresh and could be set to carry the load. Don't be shocked if Helu has a 2014 Justin Forsett-type breakout season in the right system. -- Kevin Patra

I actually like this. Helu is a great pass catching back, but does not offer the same potential as Spiller in the running game. Still, Helu should be cheap and the Jets could always draft a better rushing complement to Ivory.

So lets say the Jets get Gordon or Johnson or Gurley ...you unhappy with one of them and Ivory/ Powell ? Come On man

Powell isn't currently on the team. They haven't re-signed him. I was going based on who is on the roster now. I wouldn't be unhappy with a rookie and two vets. Not at all.

Roy Helu! We already have the banger in Ivory, we need a pass catcher that's good in space like LT was for us in 2010.

Stuck behind Alfred Morris in Washington, Helu could be a gem as a bottom-tier free agent back in a stocked market and draft class. Helu is a one-cut runner who excels in the passing game. He averaged a whopping 11.7 yards per catch and was second in the NFL yards per route run, per Pro Football Focus. Helu is a tackle-breaker who is more elusive than he appears at 215 pounds. His lack of touches means he's fresh and could be set to carry the load. Don't be shocked if Helu has a 2014 Justin Forsett-type breakout season in the right system. -- Kevin Patra

On many subscription fantasy sites, Helu mentioned as sleeper RB IF and a big IF he goes to right team, aka system.

I also like Shane Vereen - similar type player. 

I'm really surprised at how little love Vereen been getting around here.  I'd be making a call to him before Spiller.  This is also a great draft to take a RB in the 3rd or 4th I would think.

I approve this message. 

Big Helu fan here.

Way, way better than Powell

No he isn't. 

Helu was replaced in the starting lineup because he couldn't pass protect. He couldn't run it up the gut. He's a poor man's Kevin Faulk, good at a lot, but not good at the key things that keep a RB on the field for 3-downs.

Powell is actually good at all of the 3-down things, runs with more power and better vision, can catch, can grind it up the gut, and he's good in pass pro. He's a better all-around RB who was perpetually pushed down the ranks by bad leadership. If given the chance to tote the ball 300 times he's a lock for 1,000 yards. Helu isn't giving you this skill set. The only area I give Helu the benefit is speed. One could argue that better vision and power can produce more than just pure speed.

If our goal is to add a RB who can be used in the passing game, like Vereen, then sign Vereen... or better yet, use a draft pick on a middle round RB with the same skill set. 

Knowshon Moreno is a free agent as well 

This is a guy I mentioned some time last week. If we're going to dip into free agency for a RB, then he's worth a look. Great all-around skill set. Just gotta make sure he's fully recovered from whatever injury he sustained last year.

No he isn't. 

Helu was replaced in the starting lineup because he couldn't pass protect. He couldn't run it up the gut. He's a poor man's Kevin Faulk, good at a lot, but not good at the key things that keep a RB on the field for 3-downs.

Powell is actually good at all of the 3-down things, runs with more power and better vision, can catch, can grind it up the gut, and he's good in pass pro. He's a better all-around RB who was perpetually pushed down the ranks by bad leadership. If given the chance to tote the ball 300 times he's a lock for 1,000 yards. Helu isn't giving you this skill set. The only area I give Helu the benefit is speed. One could argue that better vision and power can produce more than just pure speed.

If our goal is to add a RB who can be used in the passing game, like Vereen, then sign Vereen... or better yet, use a draft pick on a middle round RB with the same skill set. 

Who isn't? That's 3.3ypc.

In case you're forgetting, Powell was given the bulk of the carries in the first half dozen games of 2013 while Ivory was banged up. He was just ok. Did poorly against good run defenses and did well against bad ones. Forget the total ypc average, since extra carries against Buffalo don't carry over to other games. In individual matchups he put up under 3.7 ypc in 4 of 6 games. The two he got over that came against Tennessee and Buffalo (both D's were awful run stoppers). And it's not as though the Jets kept trotting him out there for short yardage and goal line carries where a 1-2 yard gain is expected (and planned for and considered a success). So his ypc numbers are higher than they'd be as a true 15+ carry/game RB.

I'm fine bringing him back, since I also think he's a good teammate (never heard a peep out of him as the Jets brought in Johnson and then as expected his carries went down to nothing in a contract year). So I have some sympathy for him, but I wouldn't be in tears if he went elsewhere. He was fine. Has some burst up the middle now and then, he can catch, and he can block. The only thing he might do elite for a RB (non-FB) is block. I can't say I've rated the other 100+ RBs in the NFL in this category, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt or anyway I'll say he's as good as anyone needs a RB to be at the task.

Problem with his burst is he doesn't show it that much. Once in a great while, and it's usually in the 2nd half after everyone else is winded and he's fresh. Also the infrequency with which we've seen it is why it catches us off-guard when we see it and we're like, "Whoa, where did that come from?" Receiving? No complaints.

Basically we can do better and we can do worse. I'm fine with bringing him back, like as a 3rd down back who can carry it 10-12x/game for a while if needed, but I'm also fine if the team seeks to upgrade.

Who isn't? That's 3.3ypc.

In case you're forgetting, Powell was given the bulk of the carries in the first half dozen games of 2013 while Ivory was banged up. He was just ok. Did poorly against good run defenses and did well against bad ones. Forget the total ypc average, since extra carries against Buffalo don't carry over to other games. In individual matchups he put up under 3.7 ypc in 4 of 6 games. The two he got over that came against Tennessee and Buffalo (both D's were awful run stoppers). And it's not as though the Jets kept trotting him out there for short yardage and goal line carries where a 1-2 yard gain is expected (and planned for and considered a success). So his ypc numbers are higher than they'd be as a true 15+ carry/game RB.

I'm fine bringing him back, since I also think he's a good teammate (never heard a peep out of him as the Jets brought in Johnson and then as expected his carries went down to nothing in a contract year). So I have some sympathy for him, but I wouldn't be in tears if he went elsewhere. He was fine. Has some burst up the middle now and then, he can catch, and he can block. The only thing he might do elite for a RB (non-FB) is block. I can't say I've rated the other 100+ RBs in the NFL in this category, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt or anyway I'll say he's as good as anyone needs a RB to be at the task.

Problem with his burst is he doesn't show it that much. Once in a great while, and it's usually in the 2nd half after everyone else is winded and he's fresh. Also the infrequency with which we've seen it is why it catches us off-guard when we see it and we're like, "Whoa, where did that come from?" Receiving? No complaints.

Basically we can do better and we can do worse. I'm fine with bringing him back, like as a 3rd down back who can carry it 10-12x/game for a while if needed, but I'm also fine if the team seeks to upgrade.

I'd still rather have him than Helu, which is the general point I was making. 

No he isn't.

Awesome, 3.3 ypc if given the ball 300 times, that puts him what somewhere between 40-50 in the league in that category? Stop pretending like you know what he would be if given more opportunities, because you don't.

Archived