Anyone but Geno and we can contend

johnnyjet

I just got done cleaning my #24 jersey.  Unlike most SOJF fans, I knew this day would come and I have been proved right. 

Now we just need to find someone who can throw a tight spiral to our NOW RELEVANT offense.  God.  I can't wait till the draft.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw.  We just need to give him two or three more years.  He could be as good as Richard Todd.  You never know. :winking0001:

Man, i'm just so tied of him, his stupid decisions inside the game, and his behavior outside the field. 

If we can choose Fitz or Geno, i pick Fitz. 

Fitz, Geno or Moore. They're pretty much interchangeable and a slither better than the next tier down. I don't hate the idea of sticking with Geno and I don't hate the idea of bringing in Fitz or Moore. Replacing him with any of the current FAs is not going to change the Jets' fortunes much, if at all. It's entirely possible that he could get better too.

You don't go and spend the kind of coin that the Jets front office has spent (yes I know they HAD to) so far this offseason and then hand the keys to a guy who ranked 29th out of 30 QBs in total QBR last season. It's unfathomable that there isn't another plan in place to upgrade the position.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was 18th of 30 qualified QBs, not a significant jump, but enough to push this team on to at least contending for a playoff spot. He should be at the top of the list of potential players to bring in when he is released.

If we still have this second rate slouch as a QB we will not be 8-8, but if we sign anyone with a football iq we can contend for the afc east......I'll take Anyone but geno.

That has been true (w/Rex's D) for last 2 years. But w/improved roster , you are right, forget what D does, this Offense has at least 6-9 more pts a game in them even if we dig up Otto Graham to play (lots of statue of liberty plays mind you) ;)

I have never seen such hatred for a QB lol.  Look im not defending Geno and i dont want him to be the starter at all BUT i dont have the supreme hatred many fans do.  Hate to say it but if he died in a car crash today most fans would probably be happy

He's really really bad. I'm shocked people are still defending him.

Good backup. Disastrous starter. We shouldn't be investing a 3rd season in him. That was the point of getting him in he 2nd round.

He's the Aaron Brooks of his era. Maybe worse.

Good backup. Disastrous starter. We shouldn't be investing a 3rd season in him. That was the point of getting him in he 2nd round.

Who exactly is defending him?  Pretty much everyone(including me) understands he is not the answer as a starter.  I do think he can be a backup.  However my issue is that the hatred for the guy runs way too deep

Problem is there is nothing besides Mariotta being there at 6 left.  

Hoyer is a JAG, Fitzpatrick fits in the same boat.  Our cap now is small enough with other holes to fill that we can forego the Kapernick/Brees dreams, so not a lot of options left as of now.  I would like to see how Geno does under Gailey, but we need to bring someone else in for competition or a secondary option when he gets his back broken trying to run backwards.

And the word on Mariota is that he's not ready for NFL prime time, either.

Barring an unexpected blockbuster trade, this is the reality of the situation. Guys like Fitzpatrick and Moore are no lock to beat Geno in an open competition, no matter how much hate he generates here. Contrary to a number of posts here, Geno isn't a dummy. He does make bad decisions, however, especially when it comes to protecting the football. There are work ethic concerns. It's gonna come down to how coachable he is, and how much work he's willing to put in, because there just aren't many real alternatives available.

I believe the fact that Geno is here is the reason Gailey was hired. He has gotten the most out of similar QBs. I mean, if f*cking Tyler Thigpen can get coached to a nearly Pro Bowl season with Chan, I'm pretty sure he'll do fine with Geno.

I'm sure this is the hope. Gailey runs something of a spread that works well with athletic QBs. He's the man who made Kordell Stewart a viable NFL QB. He seems to be a creative guy who fits his offense to the talent he has to work with rather than the other way around. I think Geno is gonna be the front runner to start heading into training camp, and will be given every opportunity to seize the position. If he can just be a little more careful with the football, I think they're gonna roll the dice with him.

Thats because everyone is  reactionary and doesn't think about how long it can take qb to develop.  He wasn't ready to start his first year; he was marginally better his second year and his last 4 games weren't bad.  With better coaching and more weapons he could take another step in his development but don't let the "GENO Sucks" brigage hear this.  The bottomline is Geno WILL be on the team and is the odds on favorite to be the starter.  There is no one in FA or in the draft that will beat him out (Mariota is not ready).   Geno looked pretty good throwing to Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey.  I think he can be effective with Marshall, Decker and Amaro especially if the offensive line is improved.  I know every one thinks the guy is incapable of learning but I believe with 2 years under his belt and going through the emotional ups and downs, he will be a better player for it.   Okay back to the Geno Sucks posts..... 

reactionary. lol. responding after 2 years of data isn't reactionary.

Judging by your post I have to agree.

cani has somes cheeze?

Who exactly is defending him?  Pretty much everyone(including me) understands he is not the answer as a starter.  I do think he can be a backup.  However my issue is that the hatred for the guy runs way too deep

A lot of people have defended the idea that he could start with the right pieces around him. I think he's one of those QB's who will always drag you down to a certain record while maybe having 5 or 6 games that give you hope. When he's off, he's as bad as any QB in the game and sadly he's off more than not.

Basically I'd assume anyone not saying a new QB is the absolute priority if we mean to contend, is defending him.

I don't hate the guy and would like to see him kept as a backup. But whether we draft a replacement or trade for one, he needs replacing.

That is a HUGE insult to Aaron Brooks.  That dude threw 123 TD's and 92 INT's.  As of now, Geno is at 25/34 after year two.

Sorry...I just felt really bad for Aaron Brooks after reading that.

That is a HUGE insult to Aaron Brooks.  That dude threw 123 TD's and 92 INT's.  As of now, Geno is at 25/34 after year two.

He'd also get sacked 6 times a game for about -100 yards.

He was pretty dreadful. I may have missed his best seasons to be fair.

Thats because everyone is  reactionary and doesn't think about how long it can take qb to develop.  He wasn't ready to start his first year; he was marginally better his second year and his last 4 games weren't bad.  With better coaching and more weapons he could take another step in his development but don't let the "GENO Sucks" brigage hear this.  The bottomline is Geno WILL be on the team and is the odds on favorite to be the starter.  There is no one in FA or in the draft that will beat him out (Mariota is not ready).   Geno looked pretty good throwing to Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey.  I think he can be effective with Marshall, Decker and Amaro especially if the offensive line is improved.  I know every one thinks the guy is incapable of learning but I believe with 2 years under his belt and going through the emotional ups and downs, he will be a better player for it.   Okay back to the Geno Sucks posts..... 

You could make the argument that Geno improved his first year, playing okay at the end. Then the Jets put too much on his plate the next year and he swan dived.  They did the same thing with Sanchez.  He had to go back to the multi-colored wristband.  Gerno finished okay last year too,  I suspect,  because they simplified the offense once again for him.  You could make that argument.  I am not sure it is the right argument.  But it would explain his performance.  What does it mean for the future, if it is true?  Keep It Simple, Stupid, i guess.  The Terry Bradshaw formula.

You could make the argument that Geno improved his first year, playing okay at the end. Then the Jets put too much on his plate the next year and he swan dived.  They did the same thing with Sanchez.  He had to go back to the multi-colored wristband.  Gerno finished okay last year too,  I suspect,  because they simplified the offense once again for him.  You could make that argument.  I am not sure it is the right argument.  But it would explain his performance.  What does it mean for the future, if it is true?  Keep It Simple, Stupid, i guess.  The Terry Bradshaw formula.

It is good to see someone make a rational statement regarding Geno.  The FACT is  he SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN STARTING BECAUSE HE WASN'T READY his first year and struggled his second year until the last 4 games of the season when he had 11 tds and 2 interceptions while completing 60% of his passes.   That of course is dismissed as "the season was already over"; sorry that argument doesn't work.  the season is 16 games long not 12 and the way he bounced back from his benching to me showed some mental toughness.  I have no problem if Fitz beats him out in camp and he is the back up; he can continue to watch and learn from the sidelines, which might be the best thing for him and perhaps he can compete for the job the following year.   

BTW if some of these guys saw Terry Bradshaw his first few years they would have run his ass out of Pittsburgh.... 

And the word on Mariota is that he's not ready for NFL prime time, either.

Barring an unexpected blockbuster trade, this is the reality of the situation. Guys like Fitzpatrick and Moore are no lock to beat Geno in an open competition, no matter how much hate he generates here. Contrary to a number of posts here, Geno isn't a dummy. He does make bad decisions, however, especially when it comes to protecting the football. There are work ethic concerns. It's gonna come down to how coachable he is, and how much work he's willing to put in, because there just aren't many real alternatives available.

I'm sure this is the hope. Gailey runs something of a spread that works well with athletic QBs. He's the man who made Kordell Stewart a viable NFL QB. He seems to be a creative guy who fits his offense to the talent he has to work with rather than the other way around. I think Geno is gonna be the front runner to start heading into training camp, and will be given every opportunity to seize the position. If he can just be a little more careful with the football, I think they're gonna roll the dice with him.

I guess we got Fitz, which is fine as a competition type guy going forward, but he isn't all that better than Geno.  He has a better acumen on the football field, but his tools are nowhere near as good, so I can see why we're going with an opposites approach and hope maybe Fitz rubs off on Geno as a mentor.  

The QB battle should be interesting, without Idzik here to rig the race.  Fits knows the system, is somewhat reliable, and can be someone that won't lose us the game.  But Geno has the higher potential, and if we're ever going anywhere, it'll be if Geno actually progresses, and he's young.  I think an even competition, Geno wins out.    

It is good to see someone make a rational statement regarding Geno.  The FACT is  he SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN STARTING BECAUSE HE WASN'T READY his first year and struggled his second year until the last 4 games of the season when he had 11 tds and 2 interceptions while completing 60% of his passes.   That of course is dismissed as "the season was already over"; sorry that argument doesn't work.  the season is 16 games long not 12 and the way he bounced back from his benching to me showed some mental toughness.  I have no problem if Fitz beats him out in camp and he is the back up; he can continue to watch and learn from the sidelines, which might be the best thing for him and perhaps he can compete for the job the following year.   

BTW if some of these guys saw Terry Bradshaw his first few years they would have run his ass out of Pittsburgh.... 

Bradshaw lost his job to Joe Gilliam twice.

I guess we got Fitz, which is fine as a competition type guy going forward, but he isn't all that better than Geno.  He has a better acumen on the football field, but his tools are nowhere near as good, so I can see why we're going with an opposites approach and hope maybe Fitz rubs off on Geno as a mentor.  

The QB battle should be interesting, without Idzik here to rig the race.  Fits knows the system, is somewhat reliable, and can be someone that won't lose us the game.  But Geno has the higher potential, and if we're ever going anywhere, it'll be if Geno actually progresses, and he's young.  I think an even competition, Geno wins out.    

Fitz is also a guy I remember  who had a penchant for  throwing stupid INTs.  I have not seen him the past few years but he has gotten that INT total down, so that is a good sign. Now Geno  had 2 fewer games played and 8 less INTs last year.  IN one game he got 3 of those in 5 minutes of play or something like that.  He also stunk out the field in SD.  So for the other 12 games, his INT tendencies were down.  He does carry the ball like a loaf of bread, and he is still learning (we hope) to read defenses, but the fact is that physically, he is the closest resemblance we have to a semi franchise QB.  is he overcoming his annoying tendencies to retreat and to put it up for grabs?  We shall see. The last 4 games were promising.  As for someone saying that the games did not matter, he was still getting knocked on his ass ever pass play.  So it was real enough.

Fitz is also a guy I remember  who had a penchant for  throwing stupid INTs.  I have not seen him the past few years but he has gotten that INT total down, so that is a good sign. Now Geno  had 2 fewer games played and 8 less INTs last year.  IN one game he got 3 of those in 5 minutes of play or something like that.  He also stunk out the field in SD.  So for the other 12 games, his INT tendencies were down.  He does carry the ball like a loaf of bread, and he is still learning (we hope) to read defenses, but the fact is that physically, he is the closest resemblance we have to a semi franchise QB.  is he overcoming his annoying tendencies to retreat and to put it up for grabs?  We shall see. The last 4 games were promising.  As for someone saying that the games did not matter, he was still getting knocked on his ass ever pass play.  So it was real enough.

Geno is weird, in that, he really has every sign you needed for a franchise QB.  He has the arm, he is athletic enough to move around and run if he needs to, and in college demonstrated on a consistent basis that he could avoid INTs.  So that makes me wonder if he just didn't have the players out there to get open, and then tries to do too much, and gets in trouble.  Assuming we get another WR in the draft as the speed slot guy, he will have no such excuse.   

Last year, when Decker was healthy, our offense actually looked like a real offense.  I think Decker got hurt on a deep pass in the GB game, and wasn't the same afterwards for much of the season.  But until then, we actually were moving the ball in the first two games, and we moved the ball at the end when Decker was back as well and healthy (I know Decker played more games, but it was clear he wasn't the same).  But other than Decker, we had a terrible WR crops for the second straight year.  Salas I think had one good catch, and somehow got hurt scoring a TD.  Nelson was a loser, and let go. Owusu was a guy off the street.  Kerley was disappointing (although Geno's subpar play may have factored in there).  Hakim/Graham were just running down the field on every play, and nothing else.  And Amaro channeled his inner Stephen Hill in regards to wide open drops.  

The problem however is that, we can't make excuses for three years, hence the Fitz move.  We alteast know Fitz can be a JAG type average guy that won't kill you, but won't carry you either.  Although it troubles me that the Texans went hard after Hoyer, and let Fitz go when he did decent last year for them.  It was almost like they couldn't wait to get rid of this guy for some reason, when he was already under contract on a cheap deal.  

Hopefully, Geno improves under better offensive coaching, and a system more familiar to him from his college days.  And better WRs.  And I think the spread system also eliminates most of the under-center drop backs that somehow were necessitated by the football gods in NY, when Manning, Brady, and others all operate out of the shotgun more times than not, but we need to have an inexperienced guy fall on his ass  from under center because it was the "pro set".   This is essentially Geno's final shot at starting for the Jets I think, this training camp, he either impresses, so is a career backup.  Hopefully, he shines, because I don't think we're really going anywhere with Fitz.  

Don't forget the 16 fumbles and 7 lost fumbles.

Geno is weird, in that, he really has every sign you needed for a franchise QB.  He has the arm, he is athletic enough to move around and run if he needs to, and in college demonstrated on a consistent basis that he could avoid INTs.  So that makes me wonder if he just didn't have the players out there to get open, and then tries to do too much, and gets in trouble.  Assuming we get another WR in the draft as the speed slot guy, he will have no such excuse.   

Last year, when Decker was healthy, our offense actually looked like a real offense.  I think Decker got hurt on a deep pass in the GB game, and wasn't the same afterwards for much of the season.  But until then, we actually were moving the ball in the first two games, and we moved the ball at the end when Decker was back as well and healthy (I know Decker played more games, but it was clear he wasn't the same).  But other than Decker, we had a terrible WR crops for the second straight year.  Salas I think had one good catch, and somehow got hurt scoring a TD.  Nelson was a loser, and let go. Owusu was a guy off the street.  Kerley was disappointing (although Geno's subpar play may have factored in there).  Hakim/Graham were just running down the field on every play, and nothing else.  And Amaro channeled his inner Stephen Hill in regards to wide open drops.  

The problem however is that, we can't make excuses for three years, hence the Fitz move.  We alteast know Fitz can be a JAG type average guy that won't kill you, but won't carry you either.  Although it troubles me that the Texans went hard after Hoyer, and let Fitz go when he did decent last year for them.  It was almost like they couldn't wait to get rid of this guy for some reason, when he was already under contract on a cheap deal.  

Hopefully, Geno improves under better offensive coaching, and a system more familiar to him from his college days.  And better WRs.  And I think the spread system also eliminates most of the under-center drop backs that somehow were necessitated by the football gods in NY, when Manning, Brady, and others all operate out of the shotgun more times than not, but we need to have an inexperienced guy fall on his ass  from under center because it was the "pro set".   This is essentially Geno's final shot at starting for the Jets I think, this training camp, he either impresses, so is a career backup.  Hopefully, he shines, because I don't think we're really going anywhere with Fitz.  

Geno has tools.  They moved the ball but stunk in the red zone.  Geno held the ball but guys also did not get open.  i actually thought their red zone problems were on MM.  I don't think the plays they called made sense. But Geno still made his dumb mistakes.  Not as many as the year before, but he had 2 perfectly, memorably  awful games last year in SD and against Buffalo, and that left a particularly bad taste in people's mouths. 

Archived