Jets in Prime Position to Move up on Draft Day

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton

Even while expressing a desire to move down in Thursday’s draft to add more picks during his pre-draft press conference, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan alluded to the fact that trade talks could heat up in the coming days with those teams positioned ahead of the Jets who own the sixth overall pick.

While the thought of surrendering draft picks to move up a few slots may bring back some not-so-pleasant memories of the days of “Trader Mike” Tannenbaum who dealt away so many choices in the Jets’ GM chair that the franchise had  a four-year stretch from 2007-2010 in which they selected just 17 players.

The end result was a top-heavy roster and a lack of depth at critical positions that saw the Jets’ go from consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010, to league doormat in just a few seasons.

Because of Tannenbaum’s wheeling and dealing, star cornerback Darrelle Revis started alongside the likes of Hank Poteat, Dwight Lowery, Lito Shepard, Drew Coleman and Donald Strickland early on in his career.

Tannenbaum would eventually acquire cornerback Antonio Cromartie to play opposite Revis by doing what else, but sending draft picks to the Chargers?

Quarterback Mark Sanchez continued to take snaps under center through stretches that saw him go weeks at a time without a single touchdown pass because Mark Brunell, more coach than player at that point, was the only other option on the roster.

Under Maccagnan however, some big spending early on with a few key trades mixed in leaves the Jets, coming off of a 4-12 season, with fewer holes to fill on their roster than one might expect.

A re-loaded secondary, a boatload of competition on the offensive linethe addition of a true number one receiver in Brandon Marshall and a veteran quarterback to push or replace Geno Smith in Ryan

Fitzpatrick gives Maccagnan the luxury of being able to package picks to move up if there is in fact a player the Jets covet who they suspect won’t be available with the sixth selection.

If it’s Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the competition will be stiff as the Eagles, Browns and Chargers are said to have heavy interest in dealing for the Heisman Trophy winner.

Should the Jets look to add what many view as the lone missing piece to their defense, an edge rusher like Dante Fowler out of Florida who may not last beyond the third pick, surrendering an extra pick or two in this year’s draft wouldn’t carry the same risk as Tannenbaum’s.

Maccagnan has already out-performed former GM John Idzik by simply showing an interest in being competitive. He’s now positioning himself to exceed Tannenbaum by allowing the Jets to do whatever is needed on draft day without mortgaging the future or leaving head coach Todd Bowles hamstrung on game day.

We used a ton of resources to evaluate Mariota. With the vets we added in the secondary along with the stop gap we have in Fitzpatrick, i dont see ys pocking in the top half of tbe draft for at least the next couple of years.

Seeing that Bowles old team had some serious issues at QB, i think we are going to offer up quite a bit to move up. It wont be what Washington gave up, but it alao will be a lot more than what we got when Parcells moved from 1 -6.

What convinces me even more is that Bowles defense in AZ had a ton of older LBs and they were still elite.

We used a ton of resources to evaluate Mariota. With the vets we added in the secondary along with the stop gap we have in Fitzpatrick, i dont see ys pocking in the top half of tbe draft for at least the next couple of years.

Seeing that Bowles old team had some serious issues at QB, i think we are going to offer up quite a bit to move up. It wont be what Washington gave up, but it alao will be a lot more than what we got when Parcells moved from 1 -6.

What convinces me even more is that Bowles defense in AZ had a ton of older LBs and they were still elite.

His old team and new teams similar problems does NOT mean he should lose patience when drafting a QB. This QB class is sh*t! You wait until you have a guy who can read a defense and plays pro style. Until then you build around.

This QB class is sh*t! You wait until you have a guy who can read a defense and plays pro style. Until then you build around.

Sean Marrion could be had for a 4th rounder. He's got an NFL arm &'played in a pro offense. His senior year was crap, but he an sit & learn is a rather solid insurance policy until we DO get that franchise QB. It's the boat Tennesse is in right now.

Everyone is loving the new regime because of the FA signings and how they gave carried themselves so far.  If we trade up I'm wondering how the masses will react since we obviously scout better than the professionals.  If we move up then Mac and crew definitely think MM is worth it.  They won't do it because the want a QB attached to them and they wont do it because they think the organization needs to make big moves and grab the headlines.  They will do it based on their thorough scouting and research.  No pick is ever guaranteed to work out no mater what they seem to be or how they test but I'm going to blindly trust Mac with that decision if he decides to move up.

I think it's quite funny how fans talk regarding players like Mariota.

Your just spewing sh*t out & regurgitating someone elses opinion on him. I crack up when I see fans talk about "watching film", lol.

Listen, I have no idea whether or not Mariota can be a good NFL QB. What I do know is that every team in the f*cking playoffs had a capable QB.

If Mac & Bowles "move up" to secure Mariota, I'm gonna ride that bus with them until the wheels fall off. The kid has the intangibles.

He's smart, good arm, runs fantastically, which in Goodells new NFL is a license to steal 1st downs if you know how to slide (see a Wilson & Luck).

In Mac I trust until he f*cks up! Lol.

Unlike Bradway who he finally fired I am absolutely positive that we WILL NOT be picking a kicker in the 2nd round.

I think it's quite funny how fans talk regarding players like Mariota.

Your just spewing sh*t out & regurgitating someone elses opinion on him. I crack up when I see fans talk about "watching film", lol.

Listen, I have no idea whether or not Mariota can be a good NFL QB. What I do know is that every team in the f*cking playoffs had a capable QB.

If Mac & Bowles "move up" to secure Mariota, I'm gonna ride that bus with them until the wheels fall off. The kid has the intangibles.

He's smart, good arm, runs fantastically, which in Goodells new NFL is a license to steal 1st downs if you know how to slide (see a Wilson & Luck).

In Mac I trust until he f*cks up! Lol.

Unlike Bradway who he finally fired I am absolutely positive that we WILL NOT be picking a kicker in the 2nd round.

I watch tape. I like Marriota, but if he's there at 6 and someone offers me the right package, he's part of a deal.

I like Scherff and would take him at 6

I like Gurley and would take him at 6 also.

IMO, the BPA at 6 is going to be Scherff . We will see what we see in 4 days.

I watch tape. I like Marriota, but if he's there at 6 and someone offers me the right package, he's part of a deal.

I like Scherff and would take him at 6

I like Gurley and would take him at 6 also.

IMO, the BPA at 6 is going to be Scherff . We will see what we see in 4 days.

Scherff higher than Gurley?

Scherff higher than Gurley?

yep.

I don't think Scherff is going to drop pass pick 10. I could be wrong thou.

I look at Scherff as my future LT. That future could come as soon as 2016 if I can get the proper trade value for Ferguson.

Think it is very unlikely that the Jets will trade up to 1-2, but think it is possible  that they might move up to 4 if they are sold on Mariota.

As far as trading down goes, if there isn't anyone available at 6, who is worth the 6th pick, why would someone trade up to get it?

So we not only blame trader mike for trading away picks, we also criticize him for having Revis play opposite average corners at best. But we fail to notice he drafted Revis, Mangold n Harris, all in trade ups n they have spent all their careers in NY outside of Revis' last two years.

How is maccagnan any different than Tanny besides being personnel guy? Heavy spending in the FA, some of which was redundant, dealt away picks n now we are hearing about him wanting to trade up. I get that we have filled most of our needs, but a lot of the guys we picked up will need to be 1-2 year guys so we need their replacements as well. We need to move down if anything.

Think it is very unlikely that the Jets will trade up to 1-2, but think it is possible that they might move up to 4 if they are sold on Mariota.

As far as trading down goes, if there isn't anyone available at 6, who is worth the 6th pick, why would someone trade up to get it?

This draft has some good talent that will be available at #6. Jets should be able to find a trade partner if they wish to. If no one else, White can be the trade bait.

This draft has some good talent that will be available at #6. Jets should be able to find a trade partner if they wish to. If no one else, White can be the trade bait.

Not so sure any one will be willing to give up picks to move up to get White.  This isn't as great a WR draft as last year, but there will be very good WR's through out the first round, and probably into the second

Not so sure any one will be willing to give up picks to move up to get White. This isn't as great a WR draft as last year, but there will be very good WR's through out the first round, and probably into the second

Some are grading White above Cooper. They are the two elite WRs of this class.

So we not only blame trader mike for trading away picks, we also criticize him for having Revis play opposite average corners at best. But we fail to notice he drafted Revis, Mangold n Harris, all in trade ups n they have spent all their careers in NY outside of Revis' last two years.

How is maccagnan any different than Tanny besides being personnel guy? Heavy spending in the FA, some of which was redundant, dealt away picks n now we are hearing about him wanting to trade up. I get that we have filled most of our needs, but a lot of the guys we picked up will need to be 1-2 year guys so we need their replacements as well. We need to move down if anything.

His spending in FA is not over the top..... And from what I have read, he values picks over trading up.

he did make a statement that FA is much less risky than the draft. hard to disagree with that.

yep.I don't think Scherff is going to drop pass pick 10. I could be wrong thou.I look at Scherff as my future LT. That future could come as soon as 2016 if I can get the proper trade value for Ferguson.

I don't think you're off. I don't see Scherff dropping out of top 10. If he can play LT I'm sold.

His old team and new teams similar problems does NOT mean he should lose patience when drafting a QB. This QB class is sh*t! You wait until you have a guy who can read a defense and plays pro style. Until then you build around.

He just knows first hand that having the #1 defense in tbe league is not enough. I agree that the rest of the QBs in this draft are sh*t. I wouldnt draft any of the QBs even in tbe 7th round. They are all terrible.

In fact, this draft is a pretty crappy draft. IMO, there are only about 18 players that warrant 1st round status. Trading down would be stupid. If its impossible to move up and get Mariota, we need Fowler, Beasley, Cooper, or White. And none of them will be around after pick #7.

Scherf is a guard, in fact Peat and Collins are about the only two OL i would draft in the second round.

It wont be too hard for Mariota to be the top player in the draft. If he goes somewhere that caters to his talents, he will be a star. With Gailey, we are one of those teams.

Looking back at previous drafts, moving down for an extra 3rd or 4th round picks doesnt end up being worth it.

Specifically in this draft, losing out at what little wlite talent there is in this draft, for what will end up being special teamers this year. We are already set at starters and backups everywhere except OLB and QB.

If we cant move up and get Mariota because another team sent 3 years of #1 to Ten., than we need to end up with one of tge WRs or OLBs. Moving down will net us nothing but back ups. Which would be pathetic because its not every year you have a shot at the top player in the draft.

yep.

I don't think Scherff is going to drop pass pick 10. I could be wrong thou.

I look at Scherff as my future LT. That future could come as soon as 2016 if I can get the proper trade value for Ferguson.

Scherff's future is at guard.

I know some fans are obsessed with getting a QB but to be honest there isnt a QB in this draft that is worth what we would have to give up to trade up. We have other holes to fill

A team can fill almost all of their roster deficiencies and it still does not matter without a quality QB. The Dilfer led Ravens and Johnson led Bucs are the only recent exceptions but both were at least ball protecting veteran leaders... which is more than I can say for Geno and Harvard. Fitzpatrick throws terrible interceptions. Plus the Ravens and Bucs had excellent defenses. Jets defwnse will be good, but no way to know how good and it woyldnt matter anyway with QBs turning it over.

Mariota is absolutely worth a trade up to #3, #4, or #5.

Barring Marriota, the only other QB from this draft I have any interest in is Sean Mannion. All these drug guys and police blotter guys are off my draft board. If any of em make it to free agency, I am willing to get you a look.

Scherff's future is at guard.

Yup, and I don't really want to spend the 6th pick on a lineman who will have to be played at a different position than he was in college. The Jets haven't drafted an elite scoring threat at the top of a draft in ages, we now have that chance to walk away with either a qb, wr, or rb at that level. I am hoping we aren't sitting on a top 15 pick for a while so lets get a play maker.

Archived