Is Matt Simms Gone? Or can Petty go to the developmental squad?

TuscanyTile2

It's going to be Fitz, Geno, and Petty. Simms is as good as gone. And when no one picks him up, everyone will finally realize here that he's just not very good. Some of you are delusional.

I wonder if there are still people out there that are pissed we traded Brett Ratliff to the Browns and cut Greg McElroy.  You and I disagree on several things, but this is not one of them.  Simms supporters are insane and borderline creepy.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether Simms stays on the roster or not all depends on Fitzpatrick's recovery.  Until he's ready to play, it will be Smith, Simms, and Petty holding the clipboard (as he should do for 2 full years).  Once Fitz can play, then Simms is a goner.

Simms is not gone. We are gonna find out what kind of coach we have come training camp. They are all gonna get a shot and if anyone is gonna be gone it's going to be Geno Smith or Fitzpatrick.

AMIRIGHT???

Whether Simms stays on the roster or not all depends on Fitzpatrick's recovery. Until he's ready to play, it will be Smith, Simms, and Petty holding the clipboard (as he should do for 2 full years). Once Fitz can play, then Simms is a goner.

What if Petty doesn't need 2 full years? I agree you start him buried in development, but then you adjust your plan for him to how he takes to coaching. He might need 3 years, or only 1 and a half? Just prescribing 2 years without periodic re-evaluation is silly.

What if Petty doesn't need 2 full years? I agree you start him buried in development, but then you adjust your plan for him to how he takes to coaching. He might need 3 years, or only 1 and a half? Just prescribing 2 years without periodic re-evaluation is silly.

It was an approximation. Since when are we so all-literal around here?  

The point was that until Fitz is healthy enough to play, Simms will stay.  This is because Petty is not ready yet and you must have 3 QBs who can play.

You dont put a 4th rnd qb you just drafted on the practice squad. If Fitz, geno and petty are healthy at the end of training camp, simms will get cut.

Is go one step further...

Simms cost nothing. Fitz cost nothing. Geno's cost is irrelevant now as you are already looking for a replacement.

You keep Petty unless he's uncoachable, and the best 2 of the other 3. Simply put, we don't have resources tied up in any of them that would dictate their value to the team. They are all disposable.

Simms has a lower ceiling and therefore he's gone. He just doesn't have the size and arm strength to last in the NFL. Looks like he puts his entire body into a 20 yard pass.

Matt Simms May fall short in certain areas, but arm strength is definitely not one of them. Go to one of the open practices and watch the kid throw. He has a very good arm.

IMO it speaks to how horribly abused Jets Fans are when it comes to competent QB play, how so many of us cling, and cling in such extremism, to #3 borderline talents like a Simms, or a Ratliff, or....well, any Jets #2/#3 QB of the past 20 or so years.  I'm a victim of it myself, have no doubts.

It's rather sad, honestly.  But it speaks so clearly to how much this franchise has failed us when it comes to legitimate #1 QB play.  We literally MUST reach and express asinine unrealistic hopes about #3 fringe guys, because every year it seems, our #1 guy is a walking pile of sh*te.

Not sure how that works but personally I'm hoping Simms stays on the roster.  I still am a believer in the guy (the same way Villain believes in Glennon).  I think we actually need him as our 3rd stringer as Fitz could get hurt again and Geno is hot garbage.  I would love to see Simms get a chance and I could see it happening next year.  Obviously he has to be on our roster though.  I guess it's possible Simms goes to our developmental squad but I don't see him ever getting a chance if they really want Petty on the bench as our 3rd stringer.  Petty seems more appropriate for the developmental squad as he's probably not going to be ready for a year or two.  However, I don't know if putting him there means he's exposed for other teams to snatch away.  Anyone know?

actually I expect Geno traded for 6th/7th rounder before last preseaosn game

IMO it speaks to how horribly abused Jets Fans are when it comes to competent QB play, how so many of us cling, and cling in such extremism, to #3 borderline talents like a Simms, or a Ratliff, or....well, any Jets #2/#3 QB of the past 20 or so years.  I'm a victim of it myself, have no doubts.

It's rather sad, honestly.  But it speaks so clearly to how much this franchise has failed us when it comes to legitimate #1 QB play.  We literally MUST reach and express asinine unrealistic hopes about #3 fringe guys, because every year it seems, our #1 guy is a walking pile of sh*te.

That's one reason I loved the Fitz pickup.  No, he's nothing special.  But for once we have a professional, veteran QB in here who has proven he can instill confidence in the other 10 guys in the huddle and also has the full endorsement of our Offensive Coordinator.  How many times in our history have we had an OC being forced to talk up a QB they didn't hand-pick?  Sanchez alone had what, 2 or 3 different OC's after his play got Schottenheimer fired?

In short, Fitz will not be a "walking pile of sh*t".  For the first time since the first 11 weeks of the 2008 season, we'll get to see actual, legit, decent QB play.  We've all forgotten what that looked like.

The problem with Simms was that we weren't really able to see what he can do. When he played in the preseason it was pretty obivous this team lacked depth, severly. He was getting smacked around after every snap it seemed, the O-Line was awful and the receivers were just young projects, guys like Enunwa and stuff. I'm interested to see if he can do better this preseason. From the little we saw from him at least to me he looks kind of frail. And his footwork looks odd when he drops back. But the way he just flicks his wrist and the ball explodes out of his hand is intriguing. Plus you can't deny the bloodlines.

you put petty on practice squad he is gone in 0.043 seconds

You don't draft somebody in the 4th round (3rd best QB) and then put him on a practice squad, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. People need to stop suggesting that would be a good idea or even something to think about. If the kid isn't good enough for you to stash him on your 53 man roster then you shouldn't have drafted him that high to begin with. I can see why you'd maybe do that with somebody as useless as Taj Boyd but he's no Petty. Two completely different QB's. Petty just needs a year to study a pro offense. Boyd was never going to amount to anything as a QB.

You don't draft somebody in the 4th round (3rd best QB) and then put him on a practice squad, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. People need to stop suggesting that would be a good idea or even something to think about. If the kid isn't good enough for you to stash him on your 53 man roster then you shouldn't have drafted him that high to begin with. I can see why you'd maybe do that with somebody as useless as Taj Boyd but he's no Petty. Two completely different QB's. Petty just needs a year to study a pro offense. Boyd was never going to amount to anything as a QB.

The OP probably just didn't understand putting a guy on PS makes him available.

It was an approximation. Since when are we so all-literal around here?  

The point was that until Fitz is healthy enough to play, Simms will stay.  This is because Petty is not ready yet and you must have 3 QBs who can play.

Since most people when they say things like that, mean it literally.

Anyway, I gotcha. Nevermind.

Congratulations Matt Simms! You are now officially a member of the New York Jets Hall of Famer on the Bench Club!

You join such notable names as Brett Ratliff, Brooks Bollinger, Lamont Jordan, Greg McElroy, Matt Robinson, Tim Tebow and many others.  

If only the Jets were smart enough to start you then all the non-believers would surely be proven wrong.

Someday you will be released or packaged in a trade (since you have no value on your own) and another team will surely give you the chance the Jets never did and you will certainly fail like all the others because the real reason you are on the bench is that you suck!

Congratulations Matt Simms! You are now officially a member of the New York Jets Hall of Famer on the Bench Club!

You join such notable names as Brett Ratliff, Brooks Bollinger, Lamont Jordan, Greg McElroy, Matt Robinson, Tim Tebow and many others.  

If only the Jets were smart enough to start you then all the non-believers would surely be proven wrong.

Someday you will be released or packaged in a trade (since you have no value on your own) and another team will surely give you the chance the Jets never did and you will certainly fail like all the others because the real reason you are on the bench is that you suck!

The Ratliff to Clowney duo were legends of pre season.

Odds are high that Simms is gone.   Only a few things can save him.

One is another QB goes on IR.  With Fitz's history unfortunately that is possible.  Another is if Smith just doesn't stand up to the competition, and goes in the toilet earlier then he usually does, and is cut.   Simms will have to have a strong camp for that to happen.

The idea that Simms has a weak arm and is to small is silly.  The reason he has survived is because he has prototypical QB size, and a cannon for an arm.

Still it looks very bleak for him unless Gailey really doesn't like Smith as a prospect.   

The problem with Simms was that we weren't really able to see what he can do. When he played in the preseason it was pretty obivous this team lacked depth, severly. He was getting smacked around after every snap it seemed, the O-Line was awful and the receivers were just young projects, guys like Enunwa and stuff. I'm interested to see if he can do better this preseason. From the little we saw from him at least to me he looks kind of frail. And his footwork looks odd when he drops back. But the way he just flicks his wrist and the ball explodes out of his hand is intriguing. Plus you can't deny the bloodlines.

Bloodlines mean very little in pro sports.

:(    

I like Simms. Kid got a rocket arm.  I would cut Smith, start Fitz, have Simms as the back up and sit Petty as the 3rd stringer.  Clean house, mop the floor, dust the shelves.

Get rid everything and every one of Idziot's failures.  Its the only way to be sure.

This. Geno Smith is awful. Why overpay for a bag of sheet? Simms is nothing special but he could be a servicable backup and he could not be worse that Smith.

The Ratliff to Clowney duo were legends of pre season.

Watching Geno SMith sheet the bed all season was hardly a treat. WOuld not have killed ths Jets to see what they had is Simms. But Rex Ryuan is a scared pussified moron, so isntead we cost ourselves draft position (though granted it worked out) to watch Geno pretend a game or 2 vs. teams that quit meant something. It didn't.

Never said it's the one key element or anything. But it does help. It helps the player, it helps teams evaluate the player.

How?

Fathers and sons are totally different human beings. The bust ratio on sons and brothers of really good athletes is huge.

How?

Fathers and sons are totally different human beings. The bust ratio on sons and brothers of really good athletes is huge.

How? The way they were raised, character, intangibles. Very rarely do kids with great bloodlines have bad intangibles. Nobody is saying that Ed Reed's son is going to turn out to be the same safety his dad was. You can't hand down greatness or talent to your child. He might play a different position, a different sport, he might be just another guy in football, a special teamer, a backup, whatever. I'm just saying that guys like that usually have off the charts intangibles. They work hard, they study, they never get in trouble, they are high character guys, very coachable. Those are the things you can just check off if you're a scout or a coach. With other guys it might be a big question mark, it's another thing you have to worry about. If you have 2 equal guys I'd always pick the guy with the better bloodlines over the other player. How would Leaf/Peyton have turned out if Leaf had those bloodlines, Archie as his dad etc? Who knows. But I think it would have made a difference.

Who's to say Petty won't come in and learn the offense quick and really outperform both Fitz and Geno in camp? Kind of like what happened with Russell Wilson in Seattle. I really hope this is the case for us and that the coaching staff pulls the plug on Geno as soon as he starts going back to his old ways. Chances of this happening is more no then yes, but I pray it does. Petty is the guy I wanted all along since the college football season. The kid has all the tools to do it, great arm, great accuracy, great kid and is extremely smart. Gut feeling tells me this kid is gonna be the real deal. Starting QB for the NY Jets,#9 Bryce Petty.

That's one reason I loved the Fitz pickup.  No, he's nothing special.  But for once we have a professional, veteran QB in here who has proven he can instill confidence in the other 10 guys in the huddle and also has the full endorsement of our Offensive Coordinator.  How many times in our history have we had an OC being forced to talk up a QB they didn't hand-pick?  Sanchez alone had what, 2 or 3 different OC's after his play got Schottenheimer fired?

In short, Fitz will not be a "walking pile of sh*t".  For the first time since the first 11 weeks of the 2008 season, we'll get to see actual, legit, decent QB play.  We've all forgotten what that looked like.

Wow - I'm not sure what Fitz you've been watching - but its not the one who looked downright pitiful in Houston last year.

Exactly, and his mom working 4 jobs to help pay the electric bills. What a nightmare for poor Matt.

Then why is its that Phils two sons go to the NFL, each with all the physical tools and both bomb because they suck. Actually they sucked in college too.

Other than Manning and Luck, how many other stars have come from bloodlines? 10s of thousands of football players over the years and only a small handful of sons make it. Why if it's a huge advantage as you say?

What makes you so confident of that? Boyd was  Heisman contender his last season in college. Maybe he just need better coaching and development. Rex wasn't exactly the best developer of QB's you know.

Archived