Mcdougle back to full strength

njjetman

No way.  He's not even in the top 20 conversation anymore. Maybe not even in the top 30You need to remember Revis Island shuts down 1/2 the field and Bowles will be rolling a lot of coverage to Cro's side.

That being said, if some of these young guys (Walls, McDougle, Milliner) can be comp. to him, I say take Cro's $8 mil and put it toward Mo's extension next year.

No way. He's not even in the top 20 conversation anymore. Maybe not even in the top 30.

Should've spent the money we wasted on Cro on Vereen. Then we'd have a back that could actually make someone miss and Walls could make the team.

And have money left over

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

With New York Jets OTA’s in full swing, one development that should bring a smile to the faces of many Jets  fans involves last season’s third-round draft pick, cornerback Dexter McDougle out of Maryland.

Having suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in the early going of a strong pre-season rookie campaign, McDougle was running at full speed during today’s workouts according to Dennis Waszak of the AP.

While it will be considerably tougher for McDougle to get on the field in 2015 as the Jets added cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine in free agency, adding healthy young corners is never a bad thing.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pdhgbHdsH4Q

View the full article

Great to hear. Our secondary went from one of the worst to one of the best overnight. A kid like Mcdougle was on pace to make an impact last year (at least IMO) and having him back and full strength really gives our secondary a ton of depth. 

How was he "on pace" in your opinion?

With Revis, Cro & Skreen, McDougle & Milliner coming back strong could give us the strongest nickel & dime secondaries in the NFL.

Bowles loves to play CBs on 3rd downs.

Could be a wild year & hopefully a lot of picks going the other way.

With Revis, Cro & Skreen, McDougle & Milliner coming back strong could give us the strongest nickel & dime secondaries in the NFL.

Bowles loves to play CBs on 3rd downs.

Could be a wild year & hopefully a lot of picks going the other way.

Do other coaches prefer to bench their CB's on 3rd down?

Interesting concept... Bowles is a Genius!

All I remember from this kid during camp last year was a preseason game where he played the route, played the angle and made a break on the ball.  I was so happy to see that after so many years of kyle wilson thinking chasing a guy, playing in a trail position was covering a guy

very happy to see he is not only healthy, but keeping up with a guy who is essentially has track star speed

It's encouraging to see McDougle already running with someone as fast as Hakim.

It's funny how people point to players as busts before they have even have had a chance.

Dougs & Milliner don't have to be hurried with Revis/Cro/Skrine here. Plus...they don't have to try & stop the opposing teams 1 & 2 wide receivers.

Either one could become an absolute STUD in nickel & dime defenses. Bowles has even used 6 DBS before!

Cromartie is rated the #12 cornerback in the league by Advanced Football Analytics:  http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/defensive-players/cornerbacks

SOJF Retarded Football Analytics has him as the #43 corner in the AFCE: http://www.sojfretardedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/defensive-players/cornerbacks

Ideall Cro is a placeholder starter at the # 2 spot until Milliner/McDougle proves worthy of the starting job.  He knows the system and can mentor the young guys. I know, I know, mentoring is overrated.  But Revis definitely helped Cro when they played together.  It stands to reason Cro can help Milliner/McDougle. 

I can't imagine Cro's play takes a cliff dive even at 31, so it's real hard to say he sucks now.  He looked terrible at times early last season but played much better over the course of the season.  Perhaps his hip is fully healed now?  It helped that AZ's pass rush turned in several amazing efforts in a row.  But our pass rush isn't exactly going to be lackluster this year, one would expect.

Either way this is a good problem to have.  Last year we had maybe the worst secondary in football.  Now we have a former top 10 pick and a promising 3rd rounder relegated to bench duties to learn from one of the best ever and his sidekick, while Skrine handles slot duties.  Not too shabby.

Realistically, I'd put Cro at anywhere from top 15-20 and Revis is #1, if not a very close #2 to Sherman or Peterson. Prime Revis would have destroyed everyone on this list, but even now Revis is still an elite corner.

15-20...might be generous.  Maybe 20-25 is more realistic.  He's not what he used to be and some young corners out there are up and coming. 

Archived