Gary Myers "SOJ" piece is hack-job, but has some good quotes

AFJF

Lazy writing by Myers but a few quotes from personnel people regarding Smith vs. Fitz

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. — Geno Smith now has plenty of time to go to the movies. Maybe he can take in a double feature.

Nobody deserves to get sucker punched in the face and get his jaw broken in his own locker room, especially over a mere $600, but can you imagine anybody ever having the nerve to do that to Tom Brady (well, Roger Goodell has sucker punched him), Peyton Manning or Eli Manning?

All QBs wear hands-off red jerseys in practice. Jets QBs need to wear them in the locker room, too.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE

It not only says a lot about the lack of respect Smith commands on his own team, but it also sends a message to rookie coach Todd Bowles: Institute a culture change real fast.

Bowles is a disciple of Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs, two of the best leaders of the last 30 years, and the Jets’ quick decision to cut linebacker IK Enemkpali was essential.

The Jets are self-destructing before they get to their first preseason game, which is unusual even for them.

“It takes JPP out of the headlines,” Giants owner Steve Tisch said in the hallway at the league meetings here.

Smith will be out six to 10 weeks with an injury not nearly as serious as Jason Pierre-Paul having his right index finger amputated after his fireworks mishap. But in the NFL world of the “next man up,” it gives journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick an opportunity to win the job when Smith desperately needed to be on the field trying to convince Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and GM Mike Maccagnan that he can play.

I spoke to one longtime NFL personnel source Tuesday who insisted the Jets are better off with Fitzpatrick, even if Fitzpatrick is 32 and the Jets are his fourth team in four years. “I think the Jets are better now,” he said.

But there’s a reason Fitzpatrick, a Harvard man, has bounced around so much: He may be elite in the classroom, but he’s not brilliant on the field.

“I don’t have any confidence in Smith,” the source said. “Smith makes no sense with a new staff. He’s a slow learner, and the Jets are in position to win now. They are a unique team. They are not in rebuilding mode.

They have retooled and did a nice job in the draft and in free agency. They were very aggressive and they are going to compete.”

Then came the biggest indictment of Smith. “Fitzpatrick gives them the best chance to win,” he said. “He is not going to beat them. He’s been in that role before and he’s been successful in Buffalo and to a degree with the Texans. He’s come out of the bullpen. You can game plan with him. He’s a much better fit. He can’t throw the ball deep but he’s got a lot of moxie.”

Fitzpatrick played relatively well for the Texans last season, starting 12 games and going 6-6. He had 17 touchdowns, eight interceptions and a quarterback rating of 95.3. By comparison, Smith was 3-10 last year with 13 touchdowns, 13 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 77.5.

Now Fitzpatrick takes over a Jets team that is ready to win, except at quarterback. Whether Fitzpatrick can play well enough not to hurt the Jets, or Maccagnan brings in Rex Grossman or brings back Michael Vick, this is by far the Jets’ weakest position.

“Fitzpatrick is marginal at best,” another personnel source said. “But I don’t believe in the other guy, the guy who just got his jaw broken. Can the Jets be competitive? Yes. There are only a couple of upper echelon quarterbacks, then there’s everybody else.”

Eagles backup Matt Barkley has been available in the past and now that he appears to be losing the No. 3 job to Tim Tebow, Chip Kelly could be ready to take a mid-to-late round pick for him. If Matt Simms is the odd man out in Buffalo, he could get cut and come back to the Jets. Kirk Cousins (Washington) and Mike Glennon (Bucs) could also be available in a trade.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1439306220
Geno Smith Out 6-10 Weeks After Getting 'Sucker Punched' in Jets Locker Room
Even for the Jets, this is bad. Quarterback Geno Smith is out six to 10 weeks after being hit by teammate IK Enemkpali in the locker room Tuesday morning. Smith has a broken or fractured jaw that will require surgery. Enemkpali has been released. Head coach Todd Bowles said at an impromptu press conference that it "had nothing to do with football. Something very childish. He got cold cocked, sucker punched whatever you want to call it, in the jaw."??
NY Daily News

Of course, this isn’t the first time the Jets have faced an unfortunate and bizarre quarterback injury. Matt Robinson beat out Richard Todd for the starting job in 1979, but he jammed his right thumb messing around with teammate Bobby Jones a few days before the opener. He kept the injury a secret and then told coach Walt Michaels he hurt the thumb on a hotel door. Michaels played him anyway and Robinson threw an overtime interception that led to the Browns’ winning field goal.

Two years ago, Rex Ryan, trying to win the coveted Snoopy Bowl in a preseason game against the Giants, inserted Mark Sanchez into the game in the fourth quarter behind a patchwork offensive line and he got his shoulder blown up.

In each case, neither Robinson nor Sanchez played for the Jets again.

Will the same thing happen to Smith? If nothing else, he can figure that out at the movies. Get your popcorn ready. 

we're one slip away from petty starting vs. cleveland.  and wouldn't that be amazing?

If that happens I think they trade for a starter...no need to rush another young QB who isn't NFL-ready.

I read the word "Moxie" and cried a little.  Is that supposed to happen?

If Fitz is the experienced "bullpen" quarterback that the coaches can game plan with - then we have Jets have a tangible upgrade at QB in 2015.

And the chances of Fitz realizing those expectations are far greater than Geno reaching the imagined "upside" of his starry-eyed backers pinned their hopes on. 

If Fitz is the experienced "bullpen" quarterback that the coaches can game plan with - then we have Jets have a tangible upgrade at QB in 2015.

And the chances of Fitz realizing those expectations are far greater than Geno reaching the imagined "upside" of his starry-eyed backers pinned their hopes on. 

Sounds about right.  Plus "moxie' and stuff.  If all other things are equal what is the better indicator of football greatness "Moxie" or "grit?"  I have an idea but would like others to chime in.

Sounds about right.  Plus "moxie' and stuff.  If all other things are equal what is the better indicator of football greatness "Moxie" or "grit?"  I have an idea but would like others to chime in.

I guess I'd rather have moxie in my salesman than my quarterback. Hopefully this moxie will help Fitz navigate locker room hazards.

Expectations lowered, I'm not a Geno supporter, but the guy was having a great camp. Fitz is a journeyman, he's ok as back Q.B's go. None of this is good news for the Jets. I think it does mean that our Draft/FA focus next year is Q.B now.

Same here. Not that I believed in Geno but there was also still a possibility of me/us/most being wrong and him turning into a good Qb coming into only his third year. You had, at least, a glimmer of hope. Granted this doesn't end his season but if anyone needed a full camp and reps to grow it was Geno. An enormous set back. And even worse, he will now have an excuse to fall back on through fans and media, if he does actually touch the field this year and doesn't perform.

Fact. Wheat is better than Rye.

Here's another analysis from Stephen OH 

that comes to the same conclusion

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25266805/jets-can-survive-without-geno-smith-and-possibly-be-better

The Sportsline projection models have Fitzpatrick throwing 4.95 touchdowns, 5.14 interceptions and completing 55.3 percent of his passes over the four-game span. By comparison, Sportsline would project Geno to throw 4.66 touchdowns, 5.05 interceptions and complete 55.3 percent of his passes over that same span.

In other words the difference between what we've come to expect of average Geno and what Fitzpatrick has to offer is fairly negligible, except Fitzpatrick probably has a higher floor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25266805/jets-can-survive-without-geno-smith-and-possibly-be-better

Meyers is a douche but SOJ is the first thing that entered my mind too. Although I'm also sorta douchey...

None the less, it doesn't matter who they bring in, Namaths's pact with the devil is gonna stay in tact.

Sorry hit the neg rep by accident while scrolling down, but actually agree with you

The anon sources are right. Fitz is actually better. 

It's not an opinion it's a fact

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/jets-fans-should-be-happy-geno-smith-got-punched-in-the-face-2/

No he's not. The QB position is not about stats or "protecting the football" or all the drivel we hear from sports announcers. It is about making plays and extending plays when it matters. Geno has much better tools for this and under Gailey would be able to make plays. Fitz is a noodle armed has been that will have decent looking stats, but when it matters he is not mobile, has no arm to push down the field and is not mobile. When it matters Fitz will come up small but may have a decent looking QBR for the stats nerds.

Where was Myers piece ripping the Giants for JPP fiasco?

Their contract about face?

Or even a rip of JPP by Myers?

Myers is a typical media snob who hates the Jets.  The 49ers are having the worst off-season of any pro sports team ever yet he can't stop making fun of the jets for losing a qb he himself said in the past was worthless.

No he's not. The QB position is not about stats or "protecting the football" or all the drivel we hear from sports announcers. It is about making plays and extending plays when it matters. Geno has much better tools for this and under Gailey would be able to make plays. Fitz is a noodle armed has been that will have decent looking stats, but when it matters he is not mobile, has no arm to push down the field and is not mobile. When it matters Fitz will come up small but may have a decent looking QBR for the stats nerds.

This sounds like the NE Trolls defending deflated footballs bro.

Bottom line is neither QB has been worth building a team around as of yet.

Smith has shown he has a stronger arm.

Fitz has shown himself to be a better team leader.

They both have given away too many turnovers during their careers.

If Fitz puts up reasonable stats this year ... That probably will mean he's done reasonably well in the role of QB.

Hope that happens and you are happily able to reconsider your current opinion.

JMO

bottom line is Geno was the starter.

Myers is a typical media snob who hates the Jets.  The 49ers are having the worst off-season of any pro sports team ever yet he can't stop making fun of the jets for losing a qb he himself said in the past was worthless.

Eff Gary Myers.  He excoriated the Jets when they (thankfully!) didn't draft Matt Leinart.  I think he's been against NY fans (because we gave it back to him) ever since.  He's a total hack.

I am sick of hearing how Bowles is a "Parcells disciple" He is more an Andy Reid disciple than Parcells and Joe Gibbs? He played for the ******* guy. That's it. Is Warren Sapp a "Tony Dungy disciple"?

Are you serious? Parcells hired him as coach for 2000 Jets. Bowles was on Parcells Cowboys staff. Parcells brought Bowles to Miami. Bowles has also been talking to Parcells the past few yrs preparing for HC possibilities.

Eff Gary Myers. He excoriated the Jets when they (thankfully!) didn't draft Matt Leinart. I think he's been against NY fans (because we gave it back to him) ever since. He's a total hack.

Oh my God Myers acted like the jets wouldn't make the playoffs the next 20 years because we didn't trade up for Mariota.

Are you serious? Parcells hired him as coach for 2000 Jets. Bowles was on Parcells Cowboys staff. Parcells brought Bowles to Miami. Bowles has also been talking to Parcells the past few yrs preparing for HC possibilities.

Yes.  I am serious.  These guys all work for/with a ton of people.  Parcells obviously likes Bowles, but so did Andy Reid.  The idea that he is going to be some kind of mini-Parcells is laughable, but that is nothing compared to Gibbs.  As far as I can tell he played for Gibbs over 20 years ago.  That's it.  It's nice to think that he learned something there, but the idea that will determine how he handles this situation is a bit farfetched.   As far as I can tell, Ron Wolf was the first to give him a post playing job in the NFL.  He seems to be a capable guy.  When you can hire a capable guy as your student intern/secondary coach you do it.

Archived