Belichick takes shot at Jets 2014 draft/Idzik

AFCEastFan

Seems like a thinly veiled criticism to me -- I can't think of any other reason why he would have phrased his praise for Cooks in exactly this way. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/23/bill-belichick-im-glad-we-dont-have-to-play-brandin-cooks-twice-a-year/

Bill Belichick: I’m glad we don’t have to play Brandin Cooks twice a year

Brandin CooksAP

Patriots coach Bill Belichick got a lot of time to watch members of the Saints this week during a pair of practices and Saturday’s preseason game and he was left with a positive review of one member of the New Orleans offense.

Wide receiver Brandin Cooks didn’t give Patriots defensive backs any clues about how to stop him during those practice sessions because he caught four passes for 117 yards at the Superdome. One of those catches was a 45-yard touchdown from Drew Brees and the sum total of Cooks’ work led to a handshake from Belichick on the field and some praise from the Pats coach after the contest.

“I’m glad we don’t have to play him twice a year, he’s not in our division,” Belichick said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “He’s a really good player.”

Cooks had 53 catches for 550 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie, but missed the final six games of the season with a broken thumb. He caught a touchdown in the preseason opener as well and says that the injury left him hungrier heading into his second year. He ate well on Saturday and should continue to get chances to feed as long as he and Brees are healthy in 2015.

"I'm glad we don't play him twice a year" is a generic statement that coaches say about any player that's good.

I think you're reading too much into it.

Maybe, but try to find another NFL coach saying that (or something similar) about another player. 

Plus, Belichick usually chooses his words to the media very carefully.  And he has never praised another player that way before.

Plus, the Patriots do not play the Saints even once this year.  He could have just said "glad we won't be seeing him in the regular season", which would have made a lot more sense.   

Aren't there two other teams in the Pats' division?

Good point -- for some reason I thought the Bills were drafting in the top 5 and the Fish were drafting in the early 20's, so the Jets were the only team in the division that could have realistically picked Cooks.  But I see now that the Fish were at 19 last year, so the comment (assuming he meant it as something other than innocuous praise of Cooks)  could easily have been referring to them too. 

Fact remains, Pryor over Cooks was a mistake whether it was an Idzik call or Rex campaigning for Pryor. Hated it then, hated it now. In the box safeties do not merit first round picks ever. If Pryor had elite coverage skills maybe it would be different, but we chose a player marginally better than a street free agent SS, over an elite WR talent in an area close to our greatest need at the time. Dumb.

Fact remains, Pryor over Cooks was a mistake whether it was an Idzik call or Rex campaigning for Pryor. Hated it then, hated it now. In the box safeties do not merit first round picks ever. If Pryor had elite coverage skills maybe it would be different, but we chose a player marginally better than a street free agent SS, over an elite WR talent in an area close to our greatest need at the time. Dumb.

did Idzik or Rex ever discuss why they went with Pryor instead of a receiver?

from what i read (even before the disaster of a season he had last year) was that Pryor had to be really really good to justify being picked that high.

from what i read (even before the disaster of a season he had last year) was that Pryor had to be really really good to justify being picked that high.

they wanted a safety and it was between Clinton Dix and Pryor and Rex said he wanted the safety that would hit someone.

Big hits win Championships, oh and he plays like a Jet whatever the **** that mantra meant 

On the evaluation on Pryor…

REX RYAN: I think John (Idzik) had told me about Calvin during the year. He said, "Hey, I just saw a guy that you're going to absolutely love." The first series of a game, he chases a guy down for a hit for a loss. Then he gets the knock out hit on a running back. He knocks the guy cold and then he has the one-handed interception against Central Florida, all in one series. I was like, 'That was a pretty good start,' I think when I watched it. The thing that I'm excited about is, John hits it on the head, this young man plays like a Jet. We pride ourselves in being a physical football team and he fits that profile. This young man is an enforcer. You see how some of those kind of plays and hits and everything else, how it can impact the game. All you have to do is look at the Super Bowl and the play of (Seattle Seahawks SS Kam) Chancellor back there, and (FS) Earl Thomas. It's how we want to play defense and I think this young man is going to step in and fit right in with the guys that we already have.

no but don't doubt he thought he was the better evaluator of talent than the others.   

His is ego fills the room.

And its the GM who makes the pick so if he goes with his feeling, his HC or a scouts recommendation, its his pick.  He has his intel and everyone who has his ear, its that way everywhere.  

Big hits win Championships, oh and he plays like a Jet whatever the **** that mantra meant 

On the evaluation on Pryor…

REX RYAN: I think John (Idzik) had told me about Calvin during the year. He said, "Hey, I just saw a guy that you're going to absolutely love." The first series of a game, he chases a guy down for a hit for a loss. Then he gets the knock out hit on a running back. He knocks the guy cold and then he has the one-handed interception against Central Florida, all in one series. I was like, 'That was a pretty good start,' I think when I watched it. The thing that I'm excited about is, John hits it on the head, this young man plays like a Jet. We pride ourselves in being a physical football team and he fits that profile. This young man is an enforcer. You see how some of those kind of plays and hits and everything else, how it can impact the game. All you have to do is look at the Super Bowl and the play of (Seattle Seahawks SS Kam) Chancellor back there, and (FS) Earl Thomas. It's how we want to play defense and I think this young man is going to step in and fit right in with the guys that we already have.

So after they drafted Pryor Rex talked him up.

This is so different from other teams where the HC usually trashes the pick.  Or says he would have gone another way

So after they drafted Pryor Rex talked him up.

This is so different from other teams where the HC usually trashes the pick.  Or says he would have gone another way

Rex has become very hands off when it comes to personnel decisions, you can see how much he's learned in Buffalo

Rex has become very hands off when it comes to personnel decisions, you can see how much he's learned in Buffalo

He's like every other HC, he has a wish list of positions he'd like to see addressed and players he would like to see picked.  The GM puts his name, not the HCs name on a pick, is responsible so its his pick,  Whether he goes with his gut or the HCs

Archived