Judge Nullifies Brady's suspension

Larz

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No can do they made a rule about that just for Brady.  Carson Palmer in a playoff game gets put our for the year......nothing.  Brady gets hit and hurt, new rule almost immediately.

So let me get this straight. This guy gets injured and they make a rule named after him to protect star quarterbacks and then he has the nerve to sue the league?

What an ungrateful prick!

But since the basis of vacating the suspension was that Brady was not notified of the possible penalties for deflating balls, and the obstruction (and evidence destruction) aspects have nothing to do with notification, doesn't that form the basis for an appeal?

you can't go back in time and have pash not edit the wells report, suspend aj feely and bargain for a penalty for deflating balls and send brady the letter

No.  The evidence against Brady was weak and circumstantial.  Plus he never received a notice of proposed suspension letter so technically there was a due process violation.

and if you look at the relevant charge in the CBA the max penalty is $1770.

Roger Goodell is laughably incompetent.

Circumstantial evidence is perfectly acceptable. People have been executed based on circumstantial evidence.  I think destroying your cell phone after it has been requested as evidence is pretty strong circumstantial evidence. A jury would probably have seen it differently than a judge.  I agree, by the way, that Goodell is incompetent.

But the relevant charges were expanded after Brady appealed. And the obstruction was even part of the original penalty process.

I know Goodell tried to fold everything into an all encompassing conduct detrimental charge but it was after the fact when he realized him and his advisors botched this entire case

Circumstantial evidence is perfectly acceptable. People have been executed based on circumstantial evidence.  I think destroying your cell phone after it has been requested as evidence is pretty strong circumstantial evidence. A jury would probably have seen it differently than a judge.  I agree, by the way, that Goodell is incompetent.

most judges hate circumstantial evidence.  Also it's a helluva lot easier to convict some poor person with a public defender than a millionaire pro athlete with an elite defense team.

The judge did use the Jay Feely case in his decision. Feely did not get punished. Therefore Brady shouldn't have either.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/03/berman-cites-jets-k-ball-case-in-ruling-wiping-out-bradys-suspension/

oooohhhhh jay feely

the jets kicker at the time of the incident

so a jets kicker got brady off

you can't make this sh*t up

The worst part about this is that this smug _______ has been vindicated. 

If you thought he was an arrogant douchenozzle before.......

Brady has NOT BEEN VINDICATED. The judge simply decided that Roger Goodell overstepped his bounds by giving him a suspension when what he did was a fineable offense only. Vindication means you are found not guilty, and that is NOT what happened. I think - as do most people (players) in the NFL - that he did what he was accused of and that will not change. He was absolutely NOT vindicated. Yes he is an arrogant douchenozzle STILL, and a guilty one. He just found a loophole out of suspension.

A blow to the league, but a win for me as I began to be dragged from the apathy I began to feel after another cheating scandal went without consequence.  The NFL remains in the domain of the WWE with this and in the realm of who really cares, because it's fake?

Wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen next offseason

A smart commissioner would get the NFLPA to the table right now to hammer out an agreement on discipline for on and off field issues that would make it less susceptible to this nonsense. Would need to include outside arbitration, schedule of specific fines or suspensions for specific instances misconduct, and appeal process that doesn't make the Commissioner the arbiter of appeals, among other things.  Clear the court had a big problem with the process and really did not address the merits of whether Brady cheated at all. 

A smart commissioner would get the NFLPA to the table right now to hammer out an agreement on discipline for on and off field issues that would make it less susceptible to this nonsense. Would need to include outside arbitration, schedule of specific fines or suspensions for specific instances misconduct, and appeal process that doesn't make the Commissioner the arbiter of appeals, among other things.  Clear the court had a big problem with the process and really did not address the merits of whether Brady cheated at all. 

bingo.  the NFLPA has no need to do this tho, why woud they ?  they have the hammer now

Just remember...this isn't saying anything about Brady deflating footballs. It is saying that the NFL investigates sh*t in a screwed up manner.

This.

And this again makes Goodell look like a jackass, which is a good thing.  Goodell created the Patriots* monster and that lack of consistency in discipline, and it came to bite him in the ass.

It would be awesome if Brady now says, "Yeah, I did it and they can't do anything about it."

This is what happens when you're not Tom Brady. I love the Texans coach and Mallett's reaction to this here. Everyone in the league knows it. 

Jump to the 34 second mark. 

this is why I watch more golf than ever.  they are obsessed with fair play and the rules

And that Judge was appointed by none other then Clinton.. Hmm destroyed evidence I wonder where he got that from??:rolleyes:

Whether I think he cheated or not really doesnt make a difference. The real problem with the NFL isnt Tom Brady, its the NFL itself. The fact that every game guys like Brady are protected shows that the NFL has become more "entertainment" than an actual sport because the NFL now gears and influences results with favoritism in its refereeing. 

You protect/favor this guy for years and then want to turn around and suspend him because he now feels "invincible". It was the NFL that has allowed this. This is what happens when you "burn tapes" and ignore other fraudulent activity while favoring them even further with protection through the referees. 

I think that this is a win/win for the Jets, because maybe the NFL will not coddle and protect Brady and sway every decision the way of the Patriots simply because its "the Patriots" as they've been doing. Maybe those close games the Jets have had will end up being W's. Maybe all the teams that play the Pats will have a fair opportunity in regards to the Refs. 

So I definitely prefer Brady on the field the entire season, but more importantly I prefer the referees to call an honest game and quit it with the 15 yard penalties because you looked at Tom Brady wrong. 

Not sure the Pats, their coach, their fans and their front office and owner grasp that  from now on the officials are now going to watch them like hawks. Because there are 31 other teams (3 of whom faced serious discipline for owners, players and coaches with the Colts, Ravens and Saints) who are no doubt fed up with the Pats bending every rule. 

Why should a player smoking pot in the off season affect the league?? Why should driving like a nut on a players own time affect the league?? Breaking a actual league rule by the Pats don't matter then neither should anything else.. Funny thing is the league don't test for drugs during the season where drug use might affect the players ability.. The world has totally gone nuts..

Why should a player smoking pot in the off season affect the league?? Why should driving like a nut on a players own time affect the league?? Breaking a actual league rule by the Pats don't matter then neither should anything else.. Funny thing is the league don't test for drugs during the season where drug use might affect the players ability.. The world has totally gone nuts..

It's two different things.  The personal conduct policy is in shambles because of the lack of consistent discipline and notice.

The CBA already contains provisions on discipline for smoking weed and taking drugs in the offseason.

remember the wes welker molly rule change ?     this league is pathetic

It's two different things.  The personal conduct policy is in shambles because of the lack of consistent discipline and notice.

The CBA already contains provisions on discipline for smoking weed and taking drugs in the offseason.

I know I just think it's stupid..:(

That was mainly because Gene Upshaw was a whuss as union head and in Tags' pocket.  The NFLPA has been taking Goodell to the woodshed for quite awhile.

they left billions on the table last time around and got fewer practices in return.  they have been winning in court but the CBA screwed them over.  

Archived