Devin smith M.I.A. Today?

jetsfan719

He's only a rookie so I'll lay off but for now, he looks totally lost when he's on the field.

yeah,  because he missed camp and is a rookie that didn't have a ton of experience in a pro offense in college.  Not every wr comes out of college like odell. Most are like matavius bryant that need some time to develop.  

Not to mention,  we have guys like ivory,  decker and Brandon that dominate touches.  Jets are smart to work him in slowly.  

Under throw Fitz doesn't benefit Smith 

he was open at least 3 times I noticed.  I think fitz just doesn't trust him.  its a shame, this offense really needs a speedy threat

Fitz does not throw a great deep ball, and he doesn't trust him.  You are both right. 

However, Devin Smith did NOT fight for any of the balls thrown his way.  Fitz is absolutely justified in not looking his way for now.  He will give him another shot when the kid earns it.

A player who is open can not pass himself the ball!!

Fitz was fine today but he also underthrew Marshall on that INT. 

Fitz is who he is and the Jets are wining so this is no time to complain but it certainly isn't Smiths fault that he wasn't thrown a pass.

Charlie, I find that we often agree on many things.  Sometimes, you support my position when very few do.  Not this time as per my above post.  No worries though...

Devin Smith will be a nice present for Bryce Petty to throw to next season. For now, he's playing with a QB that simply cannot throw a vertical route. Too bad for Smith, but he's red shirting as long as Fitzpatrick is healthy.

That's part of it. Other parts are Fitz doesn't go #1 WR --> #2 WR --> #3 WR/TE --> checkdown. He goes to his checkdown after #1 or #2. Last, Smith has demonstrated he's not going to bail him out of wobbly ducks.

But today? There wasn't much need to scan the field. Lots of open receivers today, and to his credit he hit an awful lot of them.

This is fine; this is exactly how you are supposed to ease a raw 2nd round WR.  You build through the draft, but you sign/trade for need.  Because of this, we have Decker and Marshall, Smith doesn't have to have all of the pressure on him.  Let him disappear.  He is getting some good experience and should be contributing better later on in the year and next year.

Not comparing the two, but one of the problems the last time we drafted a raw receiver in the 2nd, we had to rush him into the line up.  He took some shots early, some key drops and never developed.  Not saying he would have been any different, but this is how you want to ease a young WR into the mix.

A player who is open can not pass himself the ball!!

Fitz was fine today but he also underthrew Marshall on that INT. 

Fitz is who he is and the Jets are wining so this is no time to complain but it certainly isn't Smiths fault that he wasn't thrown a pass.

also under threw it to Marshall on his TD. Marshall saved him on that one and he almost saved him on the INT

This is fine; this is exactly how you are supposed to ease a raw 2nd round WR.  You build through the draft, but you sign/trade for need.  Because of this, we have Decker and Marshall, Smith doesn't have to have all of the pressure on him.  Let him disappear.  He is getting some good experience and should be contributing better later on in the year and next year.

Not comparing the two, but one of the problems the last time we drafted a raw receiver in the 2nd, we had to rush him into the line up.  He took some shots early, some key drops and never developed.  Not saying he would have been any different, but this is how you want to ease a young WR into the mix.

Maybe by a screen or two to Smith? The guy's fast.. get the ball in his hands

Archived