"Leadership" and the Top 1o Reasons Fitz should be benched

JohnnyLV

And when the chips were down in the last two games, Fitz threw TERRIBLE picks. But you are OK with that, but crucify Geno for trying to make plays after coming in with almost no preparation and first team reps in weeks.

he also had all the appearance of being a concussed player, and yet smith sat on the bench.  There's a reason for that

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And when the chips were down in the last two games, Fitz threw TERRIBLE picks. But you are OK with that, but crucify Geno for trying to make plays after coming in with almost no preparation and first team reps in weeks.

Fitzpatrick can do no wrong. As mentioned before start Smith we've seen history repeated itself Fitz is 5-5 a career .500 QB if Geno fails we part ways with both of them at the end of the season. 

Fitzpatrick can do no wrong. As mentioned before start Smith we've seen history repeated itself Fitz is 5-5 a career .500 QB if Geno fails we part ways with both of them at the end of the season. 

If they have hope for Petty, or can't find a trading partner, think Fitz is back next year.

cheap or not, think smith is done as back up.

he also had all the appearance of being a concussed player, and yet smith sat on the bench.  There's a reason for that

I have not heard anyone else suggest Fitz was concussed. If anyone else thought that we would have heard. You are also one of the most vocal Fitz supporters. 

You can take Bowles not making a change as him not believing In Geno, but based on many other moves he has made, I just think he is one of those guys that wants to play veterans, maybe outside of first rounders which the NFL puts into their own special category.There have been several coaches that have outright stated this including Whisenhunt which I thought made the choice of Mariota interesting and clearly not his choice. Rex was interesting in that he was another guy that truly preferred veterans, yet was always comfortable in playing young QBs (and still is) and never really even tried to play a veteran.

Clearly Gailey thought it was not close between Fitz and Geno and has stated that outright. I doubt he has changed that opinion. But I think Bowles just wants the veteran out there whether or not Geno may be better, He is the type of head coach that will just not take that kind of risk at this point in the season.

Let them rant they have no idea WTF they are talking about ... I have a few on ignore so I can't see some of the posts you are probably referring too LOL

Right now Fitz is the least of our trouble's . Everyone understands Fitz is here until we draft and develop a young QB that could be anywhere from 1-3 years depending on various outcomes. That being said if this offense just executed we could actually be in very good shape this year Inconsistency aside

So you mean Fitz could be back as starting QB next season? God help us all!!!

I have not heard anyone else suggest Fitz was concussed. If anyone else thought that we would have heard. You are also one of the most vocal Fitz supporters. 

You can take Bowles not making a change as him not believing In Geno, but based on many other moves he has made, I just think he is one of those guys that wants to play veterans, maybe outside of first rounders which the NFL puts into their own special category.There have been several coaches that have outright stated this including Whisenhunt which I thought made the choice of Mariota interesting and clearly not his choice. Rex was interesting in that he was another guy that truly preferred veterans, yet was always comfortable in playing young QBs (and still is) and never really even tried to play a veteran.

Clearly Gailey thought it was not close between Fitz and Geno and has stated that outright. I doubt he has changed that opinion. But I think Bowles just wants the veteran out there whether or not Geno may be better, He is the type of head coach that will just not take that kind of risk at this point in the season.

Really?   Watch the video here.  http://thebiglead.com/2015/11/22/ryan-fitzpatrick-helmet-off-hit-touchdown-texans/

That sure looks to me like a guy that has been concussed.  If Brick didn't hold him up he is going down.   No not really much of a Fitz supporter.  I know who he is.  A journeyman QB, with limited  physical skills, who has done a decent job this year.  I'll be very happy if Petty evolves into his replacement, or if the Jets work a trade in the offseason to upgrade from him.

It's just that the option to him right now is horrible.  He is clearly the best QB on this team right now.  I guess when you rate Fitz you have to establish a benchmark.  If Brady is the bench mark, Fitz sucks, if smith is the bench mark, Fitz is Brady.  Seems like the CS agrees

If they wanted to give smith an extended look The Bills and Texans would have been the place to do it without upsetting team chemistry.  He was seriously injured and needed surgery.  It would have been so easy to sit Fitz, "for his future health" and give smith his shot.

Bowles jokingly said "we though about sitting Fitz, but it wasn't a serious thought."   He went with an injured Fitz, who in the Houston game seemed to be concussed, over a healthy smith.   Doesn't bode well for seeing smith again unless Fitz is unable to play.   

That's how I see it as well. He had the perfect excuse to keep Fitz on the sideline, where even with a loss he would have been seen as a victim of Geno's play rather than encouraging Geno to start. He may have even gotten a pass from plenty of fans lamenting how we surely wouldn't have lost the Houston game with Fitz in there instead of Geno. Especially if it ended in a close loss. A win would have also been credited to Fitz if he'd only played instead of Geno as well, so there would be no pressure to keep Geno out there even if they'd won.

Bowles passed up that opportunity. Geno isn't seeing the field unless Fitz breaks something that they can't patch up right away.

I know. It's crazy that Fitz' shim sham personality is hindering the progress of Geno's greatness. Fitz is like that evil uncle from Home Alone, probably says look what you did you little jerk to Geno when he throws a pick in practice too.

Devin Smith is that cousin who drinks a bunch of Pepsi and wets the bed

What pisseds me off is continuing to trot a QB out there who has proven over TEN years that he:

1. Cannot beat a winning team (once since 2011)

2. Cannot lead a comeback (9 total in 10 years)

3. Has never won more than 6 games and right now looks like that could continue

4. Cannot stretch the field and move the safety out of the box

5. Despite his "harvard" education does not make good decisions on the field

6. Locks on to receivers

7. Threw 3 interceptions in the last 2 weeks in situations at the end of gameswhere he needed to step up

8. Has shown no ability to adjust plays in key situations, usually going for the quickest option he can find

9. Consistently through his career has gotten worse and worse as the season goes on

10. Cannot run a 2 minute drill, to the extreme that Bowles and Gailey do not even TRY them

But the supporters will say "teammates love him!", "Decker has a Fitzmagic shirt" and the best one:

"He is a leader!", not even sure what that one means anyway other than being an impressive soundbite:

"Ryan Fitzpatrick, a HARVARD graduate, is a natural leader that has the unflagging support of all his teammates. In fact, they are so behind him that they do not even care that other teams (just like in the 9 years past) have completely figured out how to stop him. No, "Fitzgerald is our QB" Bowles says, pointing out that none of the slide is on Fitz, because "other players make mistakes too" while "he puts it all on the line" and his "teammates are 100& behind him because he is a "leader". So expect to the Jets to continue to slide and miss the playoffs because there really is no one better to lead them there in truth than a weak armed dump off artist that has never won more than 6 games in his career. No, there is just no better choice for mediocrity than Ryan Fitzpatrick, Harvard man, leader"

lol This is hilarious. Only the Jets....I tell ya. 

Oh good. A fresh, hot take on the same old same old argument. Listen, most of what you said has some semblance of truth. However a lot of Fitz' flaws are something Geno isn't very good at either. Geno locks onto receivers, throws critical picks, has zero pocket awareness, is incredibly inaccurate, etc etc. 

You honestly think teams won't stack the box because they think Geno is going to beat them over the top? He'd have to not take a boneheaded sack first. 

Neither guy is the answer. Let's just focus on the Dolphins on Sunday and they players who are actually playing. 

Geno is young and can possibly develop, Fitz is a decade vet and he is what he is at this point. I totally agree  and do not disregard your statement, but at the same time dont disregard the fact that these are two different QB's at two different points in their career. 

If Geno has the same faults as Fitz, yet Fitz has is known for this then why not put in a guy who could actually develop? Saying that Geno has similar flaw etc. is not a valid excuse to keep Fitz on the field. 

The Jets were 4-1 and I had to unfortunately remind people that this man has never won more than 6 games in his career. Since that 4-1 start the Jets have gone 1-4. Continuing to downplay Geno is a little ridiculous at this point, especially when the season is quickly going down the toilet and Fitz showing that he's the exact same player that his decade long career has shown us he is. 

Geno is young and can possibly develop, Fitz is a decade vet and he is what he is at this point. I totally agree  and do not disregard your statement, but at the same time dont disregard the fact that these are two different QB's at two different points in their career. 

If Geno has the same faults as Fitz, yet Fitz has is known for this then why not put in a guy who could actually develop? Saying that Geno has similar flaw etc. is not a valid excuse to keep Fitz on the field. 

The Jets were 4-1 and I had to unfortunately remind people that this man has never won more than 6 games in his career. Since that 4-1 start the Jets have been 1-4. Continuing to be "down" on Geno is a little ridiculous at this point, especially when the season is quickly going down the toilet. 

Well what does that tell you about Geno Smith? If he had completed the comeback against Oakland, there would definitely be more of a case against Fitz starting. But I saw the same things out of Geno. Good physical ability but lack of football saavy and gumption. 

The fact that:

1. He hasn't been considered a serious option to replace this year by the coaching staff.

2. Nobody in the media or the locker room has called for him to start.

So johnnysd you would rather see Geno Smith taking unnecessary sacks and pick sixes rather than a guy who at least keeps the team in games. The Jets didn't bring Fitzpatrick here to be Dan Marino, they brought him here to manage games and let the run game and the defense win it. Chan Gailey has gone pass crazy the last several games and admitted so (almost) when he told Rich Cimini they would go to more short pass routes now and play into Fitzy strength. Throwing deep is not his strength, nor do we have the WR's to make the plays. Marshall doesn't fight for the ball and Smith simply can't catch. He looks like a clone of Stephen Hill in my book.

Not to worry Foe besides the chocolate bunny MG will be in your Easter basket next year..:) 

Well what does that tell you about Geno Smith? If he had completed the comeback against Oakland, there would definitely be more of a case against Fitz starting. But I saw the same things out of Geno. Good physical ability but lack of football saavy and gumption. 

The fact that:

1. He hasn't been considered a serious option to replace this year by the coaching staff.

2. Nobody in the media or the locker room has called for him to start.

Same'ol stories from Jets fans who love to disregard facts because of their hatred. 

Geno Smith put up Fitz-like numbers though has not taking any reps with the 1's and came in the game cold. Geno basically put up similar numbers coming in cold that Fitz usually put up with an entire week of practicing and building chemistry with the 1's. I know that this totally wont matter to you, but I'll put it out there for someone else who will read it and understand it. 

And when does a locker room call for a guy to start? Answer: A locker room that is lost by the coaching staff. You stated a fact but given "political correctness" nfl players are now under you wont just see guys giving their true personal opinions especially if its contrary to the direction of the coach/front office so this fact is irrelevant. 

And your first fact is ridiculous too. Geno was the 1st string guy until he got punched out, NOT because Fitz took the job. You were well aware of the info coming out of training camp about how Geno was looking far better than Fitz. 

With that said, no one really knows why Geno isnt in there besides the coaching staff and the front office, so lets not pretend like we do. You can assume and I can acknowledge the assumption, but these facts of yours are weak and even if they were true the fact that the jets have gone 1-5 the past month and a half should show that no matter what your opinion/fact is, Ryan Fitzpatrick is tanking the season while Geno showed that he could look at worst like Ryan Fitzpatrick when coming in cold with no reps or chemistry with the oline/targets. 

I remember Geno having the best QB rating last year against our upcoming opponent. In fact, it was a perfect passer rating. I really think theres no way he'd play any worse than Fitzpatrick has the last 3 games. Start Geno now.

and yet you forget that that game meant absolutely nothing to this team and only weeks before I think he had a 0 - 5 QB rating.

Ha, Irvin on NFL Network...

Regarding Fitz, "Go make him a millionaire on some other team he'll be running next year.  I know we think he's so smart... he's a smart man that keeps losing games. ... he keeps losing games, smart men win games right?"

1. Fitzpatrick - stinks but at least acts like he knows what he's doing up to the point the ball is snapped, and so far the other players still like him

2. Geno - stinks, comes across like he has no answers before and after the ball is snapped, and the other players do not like him

3. Petty - the HC says he's nowhere near ready, which sucks. It really, really sucks. I'm quite certain Bowles would love to promote him above Geno as soon as he can justify it.

Given this choice, leadership prevails until option #3 becomes viable enough to get live reps after we've been eliminated. And this is coming from someone who is just waiting away the days until Fitz is no longer the team's starter. And yes I'm aware it could go on for a whole season more - actually as of now it's clearly pointing in that direction - which is kind of depressing.

Fitz doesn't stink. Okay?  

At this point, a moderator of a Jets site who is siding with the same 3 idiots who can't move past that empty argument is making this forum look bad.  

Fitz doesn't stink. Okay?  

At this point, a moderator of a Jets site who is siding with the same 3 idiots who can't move past that empty argument is making this forum look bad.  

FItz didnt stink...today. He had a phenomenal game. I'll take 4 TD's over 300 yards anyday. The problem is consistency. In a passing league, the lack of consistency when everything is geared in your favor (Quarterbacks) can be considered as "stinking". 

Among other things Fitz was 4-4 with 4 TDs when 3rd and goal today.  Just imagine if he didn't suck!  

Phenomenal game. We're 6-5. Any wins from here for Fitz will be considered new territory. Hopefully its a deep journey in this new territory. Im not holding my breath though. Put it on the field instead of one week "he stinks" and the next week "he's a football god". 

Archived