Dee Milliner ~ ~ ~

kelly

Dee Milliner‘s career really hasn’t gone as planned.

Ever since his selection with the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the cornerback has been plagued, year after year, with fluke, random injuries. A high-ankle sprain, shoulder injury, achilles, wrist… the list goes on and on.The result has been Milliner, to this point, being labeled a bust.This coming season, due to the release of Antonio Cromartie, Milliner may be given an opportunity to change all of that.

“He’s in the competition for the starting job,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said at the NFL Scouting Combine Wednesday. “The spot’s open.”

While 2016 will be Milliner’s fourth in the NFL, it will be just his second under Bowles. Last year, the Alabama product was never really given much of an opportunity in New York’s revamped and rebuilt defense.As part of an offseason spending spree, the Jets signed cornerbacksDarrelle Revis, Cromartie and Buster Skrine. With Milliner still recovering from the ruptured Achilles tendon that cost him much of the 2014 season, he was stuck behind all three, plus cornerbacksDarrin Walls and Marcus Williams, on the depth chart in training camp.

When Milliner got back to practicing again, he broke his wrist, which landed him on the physically unable to perform list to start the season.“I’m trying to put (the injuries behind me),” Milliner said last year before his injury. “No injuries, and I’m trying to keep it that way. I’m doing my maintenance in the training room so I can stay out of the training room.“I’m just trying to be comfortable and stay healthy.”With Cromartie now gone, the starting cornerback job opposite Revis is vacant. Milliner will compete with the likes of Dexter McDougle, Skrine and Williams for that spot.

Williams, who’s considered the odds-on favorite to win the battle, intercepted a team-high six passes in limited reps last year.“It’s open right now,” Bowles said. “You’ve got buster, Dee, Marcus. We got a couple guys there who can play. We’ll see who wins out.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/25/todd-bowles-dee-milliner-will-compete-to-be-jets-starting-cornerback/

This guy is like glass. I understand that he has guaranteed money coming to him, but if can't get on the field that money is wasted anyhow. Cut him and absorb the cap hit. The guys never going to produce in the NFL. His body has already had more mileage than a 12-year veteran and he has shown he can't hold up.

44 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

This guy is like glass. I understand that he has guaranteed money coming to him, but if can't get on the field that money is wasted anyhow. Cut him and absorb the cap hit. The guys never going to produce in the NFL. His body has already had more mileage than a 12-year veteran and he has shown he can't hold up.

I wouldn't cut him yet, he was the ninth pick in the draft who exhibited some talent towards the end of 2013.  While he has been mostly injured the last two seasons it makes absolutely no sense to cut him now.  With his salary guaranteed let him compete in Training Camp, if he stays healthy and plays well we may have a starting CB.  If he sucks in TC then I would entertain the notion of cutting him.  

Is he on the last year of his contract?

Another reason not to cut him.  He's playing for his professional life, so he will be uber motivated to perform.  So, if he plays well, we get good production.  Then we could re sign, or let got and get some kind of a comp. pick.

The Jets are on the hook for that 4 million no matter what. That is truly dead money in every sense of the word. But the Jets still need players that can contribute so I say.....

1) Cut Dee Milliner - We've already seen all we need to see. This guy is NEVER going to contribute. Just absorb the hit, you're on the hook for it anyway.

2) look for another UDFA to use that roster spot on. Having someone on the field that can  at least stay healthy is important. He'll also contribute which is something Milliner hasn't done since he's been here.

I just don't understand how anyone thinks the Jets should cut Millner and keep Geno.  Millner played well at the end of his 1st year, then was hurt the next two years.

Geno sucked his first two years then got his jaw broke for being an a$$.

Let Milliner compete and if he gets beat out or he gets hurt yet again then someone else plays.  We have to pay him no matter what and if he gets hurt you IR him and still get to use his roster spot.

Cut Geno and replace with someone better and save a little $$.

52 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If he is healthy, he should be good enough to warrant a roster spot.   If he's not, then IR him and you get the spot anyway.

this season is gonna be his " make or break year "  ~ ~ 

The Jets are unlikely to pick up cornerback Dee Milliner's fifth-year option this offseason, according to a source familiar with the situation who spoke to NJ Advance Media on a condition of anonymity.

It's still early in the process, for whether or not Milliner gets his option, but at this point, it appears as though he won't, the source said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. The source based that assessment on what he called preliminary conversations. The move is unusual, but it speaks to Milliner's history of injury troubles — and perhaps to the Jets' concerns that he might get seriously hurt again. The Jets drafted Milliner ninth overall in 2013. NFL rookie contracts last four years, but teams have an option to add a fifth year to first-round picks' contracts. 

Milliner has struggled with various injuries in the NFL, including an Achilles tendon tear. He played 13 games in 2013, three in 2014, and five last season, when he didn't receive a single defensive snap after returning from wrist surgery. Teams have from Jan. 4 to May 3 to pick up the fifth-year contract option for 2013 first-round picks. Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson, a budding star who was drafted 13th overall, almost certainly will have his option picked up. There is minimal risk for teams to pick up the option, which is why it happens for most first-round picks. The option's hefty salary figure does not become fully guaranteed until the beginning of the following league year. So for 2013 first-round picks, the option amount doesn't fully guarantee until March of 2017. But here's the catch: Until next March, the option amount is guaranteed for injury only. So if a player — say, an injury-plagued guy like Milliner — sustains a serious injury in 2016 that sidelines him for 2017, his team must pay the option figure. 

Besides that scenario, a team can pick up a player's option, and then still have zero future commitment to him, provided it cuts him before next March. The team can walk away with no salary cap ramifications. So why not pick up the option? Most often, the fifth-year option is a way for teams to retain a player's rights, and prevent him from hitting free agency after Year 4. That's the approach the Jets took with defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, their 2011 first-round pick. 

Last offseason, the Jets picked up outside linebacker Quinton Coples' option for 2016. But that really meant nothing, because if Coples continued to struggle (and he did), the Jets could cut him after the season and make a clean break from their draft mistake. (The Jets wound up cutting Coples during the season.) Another caveat for Milliner's option, besides his injury history: The option's salary number is higher for the top 10 picks, compared to the 11th through 32nd picks. That puts Milliner into a higher pay bracket — and, thus, a bigger risk for the Jets, if he were to get seriously injured in 2016.Official fifth-year option numbers for the 2013 draft class aren't out yet. But for the cornerback position in the 2012 class, estimates put the option figure at $11 million for the top 10 picks and $7.5 million for the 11th through 32nd picks. 

Milliner has three career interceptions, all in the final two games of his rookie year. He started that year, as the replacement for Darrelle Revis. Milliner started again in 2014. But in 2015, the Jets reunited Revis and Antonio Cromartie as their starting cornerback duo. The Jets this week cut Cromartie, who struggled last season. Coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday that Milliner, Marcus Williams, and Buster Skrine would compete this offseason for the vacant starting corner spot opposite Revis. If Milliner can stay healthy, 2016 could be a pivotal season for him. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/jets_unlikely_to_pick_up_dee_milliners_fifth-year.html#incart_river_index

3 hours ago, kelly said:

Dee Milliner‘s career really hasn’t gone as planned.

Ever since  his selection with the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft,   HE STARTED PLAYING FOOTBALL  the cornerback has been plagued, year after year, with fluke, random injuries. A high-ankle sprain, shoulder injury, achilles, wrist… the list goes on and on.The result has been Milliner, to this point, being labeled a bust.This coming season, due to the release of Antonio Cromartie, Milliner may be given an opportunity to change all of that.

“He’s in the competition for the starting job,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said at the NFL Scouting Combine Wednesday. “The spot’s open.”

While 2016 will be Milliner’s fourth in the NFL, it will be just his second under Bowles. Last year, the Alabama product was never really given much of an opportunity in New York’s revamped and rebuilt defense.As part of an offseason spending spree, the Jets signed cornerbacksDarrelle Revis, Cromartie and Buster Skrine. With Milliner still recovering from the ruptured Achilles tendon that cost him much of the 2014 season, he was stuck behind all three, plus cornerbacksDarrin Walls and Marcus Williams, on the depth chart in training camp.

When Milliner got back to practicing again, he broke his wrist, which landed him on the physically unable to perform list to start the season.“I’m trying to put (the injuries behind me),” Milliner said last year before his injury. “No injuries, and I’m trying to keep it that way. I’m doing my maintenance in the training room so I can stay out of the training room.“I’m just trying to be comfortable and stay healthy.”With Cromartie now gone, the starting cornerback job opposite Revis is vacant. Milliner will compete with the likes of Dexter McDougle, Skrine and Williams for that spot.

Williams, who’s considered the odds-on favorite to win the battle, intercepted a team-high six passes in limited reps last year.“It’s open right now,” Bowles said. “You’ve got buster, Dee, Marcus. We got a couple guys there who can play. We’ll see who wins out.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/25/todd-bowles-dee-milliner-will-compete-to-be-jets-starting-cornerback/

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Early August, 2015: "Pryor's a bust. Just cut him already."

Gotta call BS on this one.  Certainly there were folks who were disappointed in Pryor's rookie year but I do remember even a single instance where a poster suggested that he be cut.

Dee Milliner on the other hand has been in the league for three years and he cannot get onto the field or stay on the field. He seems to go down to season ending injuries when there is a gust of wind on the practice field over 15MPH.  He has been made of glass.  Many people suggested when he was originally drafted that this would be the case.  Even when he was healthy last year and the year before he could not get onto the field even though the team was literally picking up scrubs off the NFL discard pile or UDFAs and then playing those players on Sunday.  The ONLY relevant conclusion one can draw from that is that Milliner's play on the practice field must have been awful.

So what part of any of that supports your a rush to judgement contention on the bust label?

16 hours ago, EM31 said:

Gotta call BS on this one.  Certainly there were folks who were disappointed in Pryor's rookie year but I do remember even a single instance where a poster suggested that he be cut.

Dee Milliner on the other hand has been in the league for three years and he cannot get onto the field or stay on the field. He seems to go down to season ending injuries when there is a gust of wind on the practice field over 15MPH.  He has been made of glass.  Many people suggested when he was originally drafted that this would be the case.  Even when he was healthy last year and the year before he could not get onto the field even though the team was literally picking up scrubs off the NFL discard pile or UDFAs and then playing those players on Sunday.  The ONLY relevant conclusion one can draw from that is that Milliner's play on the practice field must have been awful.

So what part of any of that supports your a rush to judgement contention on the bust label?

I'm not spending an hour looking up the word "cut" (or any/all synonyms) and weeding through it. That was clearly the sentiment of at least some this summer, after he seemed to look no better in early August than in his rookie season.

I have no optimistic opinion on Milliner anyway. I was just making a joke.

The key for Milliner right now other than the injuries is that he was in low standing under Bowles. And Bowles is an experienced DB coach. So whatever he showed in practice, etc. did not impress Bowles who had a need for good cornerbacks. So there is no reason to say that the HC does not want Milliner to succeed. Dee just hasn't impressed him (so far). 

56 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Time to cut our losses like we did with Coples,end of discussion.

I wish you would just stop, makes the board hard to read.

Milliner cap hit is 4 mil if he is on team or if he gets cut.    What in the world do the Jets gain by cutting him now?  if he gets hurt they can IR him and still use the roster spot.  If he plays well they have a CB.   It costs NOTHING to take him to camp and see if he can stay healthy and play better.

24 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I wish you would just stop, makes the board hard to read.

Milliner cap hit is 4 mil if he is on team or if he gets cut.    What in the world do the Jets gain by cutting him now?  if he gets hurt they can IR him and still use the roster spot.  If he plays well they have a CB.   It costs NOTHING to take him to camp and see if he can stay healthy and play better.

Agreed; if he is terrible you can always cut him before the season starts and you haven't lost any money; if he plays well enough, but can't pass the others on the list, you could possibly trade him (granted not for much) and cut his CAP in half (or there about).

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not spending an hour looking up the word "cut" (or any/all synonyms) and weeding through it. That was clearly the sentiment of at least some this summer, after he seemed to look no better in early August than in his rookie season.

I have no optimistic opinion on Milliner anyway. I was just making a joke.

Fair enough.  Disappointment was rampant on his rookie year for Pryor.

Don't moderators have super duper search powers at their command which are not available to other folk? 

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Agreed; if he is terrible you can always cut him before the season starts and you haven't lost any money; if he plays well enough, but can't pass the others on the list, you could possibly trade him (granted not for much) and cut his CAP in half (or there about).

It's hard to trade a player when the only film they have on him is x-rays and MRIs.

Dee Milliner, after a lifetime of playing football, including for one of the great College Coaches and Teams ever, is facing a crossroads in his life.  

• If he does not get it to together, and play well and through injuries this year, my guess is that few if any NFL teams will be willing to pay him real money to play football.
  • if he plays like he did at the end of his rookie year, he can set himself and his family up for life with a large contract playing a very valuable position

The second bullet is subject to a team giving him that contract.  I believe that if he plays well it will be someone, but no matter how well he plays, it should not be the Jets.  

I like the idea of Dee and Marcus Williams platooning that CB spot and helping the Jets be competitive in 2016. Despite my other recent post, I do believe that the Jets will try and be competitve in 2016.  It would be great if Dee got it together and had a great 2016.  I wish him only success and happiness.  But hopefully the Jets draft one or more CBs this and next year to take over there.  If we give him another contract, we will be burned.  The Jets should not take the bait.

That being said, if another team wants to offer us anything to take his contract, we should take it.  Box of donuts.  Anything.

If he cannot get it together year, he really wasted a tremendous opportunity.  I just can't imagine someone doing that to himself, but we have seen it before.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

It's hard to trade a player when the only film they have on him is x-rays and MRIs.

LOL - my point is that if he was healthy enough and played reasonably well; other teams always want DBs, could get a 7th (or conditional) so the team would be taking a shot at a cheap DB; no picks if he doesn't play - either way it would free up 2+ million in cape. Of course if he sucks, you cut him; if he is hurt again, IR. Right now there is no point in cutting him.

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He's 4 million dollars against the cap (but not really cuttable). I doubt he has his 5th year option picked up either. Training camp fodder? Yes. Cheap? No.

Reports have already come out that the 5th year option will likely not be picked up as he is always hurt and his pay for 5th year is like 7 million. Training camp fodder? Yes, Cheap? well - it is no cheaper to cut him; if he is healthy and sucks you cut him; hurt you PUP or IR him - to save the roster spot.

He is likely gone for 2017 - maybe even out of the league.

On 2/26/2016 at 0:30 PM, EM31 said:

Fair enough.  Disappointment was rampant on his rookie year for Pryor.

Don't moderators have super duper search powers at their command which are not available to other folk? 

Yeah we have the power to fit into a barrel when it's our turn. It's why I'm extra grumpy on Wednesdays.

Still have to search every/any term and synonym, since posters don't always make the search easy (i.e. "Cut Calvin Pryor" may just be a 1-2 word post that says "cut" or "dump him" with no proper name. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another week has come and gone, which means it’s time to dive into the mailbag once again and answer your questions submitted via Twitter.

So… what’s on tap ?

The odds the Jets traded defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, whether or not Dee Milliner has a future with the Jets, a deadline forRyan Fitzpatrick and much, much more.As is the case everywhere, we know reading this may spark some other questions. If that happens, feel free to shoot over a tweet oremail.

~ ~  @Connor_J_Hughes @JetsInsider does dee milliner have a future with the jets ?

HUGHES : This year ?

Yes. It doesn’t make sense to let him go. He’s under contract for the 2015 season, and if he were to be cut, the Jets would suffer a $4 million cap penalty without freeing a dime.

Financially, it just doesn’t make sense to let him go.

Now, beyond this year ?

Well… that’s another story.

It’s very, very interesting that the Jets reportedly are not going to pick up the fifth-year option on Milliner’s rookie contract. Basically, what that means, is that Milliner will be a free agent at the end of this season. With his injury history and less-than-ideal performances over the years, it’s easy to see why this may be Milliner’s last season with the Jets.

So, long, drawn-out answer to your question– Milliner will be with the Jets in 2015, and throughout the entire 2015 season. Beyond that though ? Very unlikely.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/20/jets-trading-muhammad-wilkerson-dee-milliner-getting-cut/

• 2 weeks later...

With a conservative approach to free agency due to insufficient funds, it has become painfully obvious that the Jets are going to have to rely on their young core of players to step up in 2016.

Once you get passed high priced veterans such as Brandon Marshall,Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis, the Jets have several young and more cost effective players that will have increased roles this upcoming season.

Here are the top five Jets who have the most to prove in 2016

CB Dee Milliner

Milliner, 24, was drafted 9th overall in the 2013 draft and was expected to come in and, not only start immediately, but replace the great Darrelle Revis.

Talk about unfair expectations.

Like many other rookie corners, Milliner struggled right from the get-go, being benched on multiple occasions before finishing strong his rookie year.Going into year two, expectations remained high because of the promise he had showed late in 2013. But it all went down the drain due to injuries.Injuries have been a recurring theme in the young cornerback’s career, and have derailed any shot of him being a contributor.

2016 is a big year for Milliner.

With Antonio Cromartie being released, there is more of an opportunity for him to see the field on defense if he can stay healthy.But that will be his biggest challenge.Even head coach Todd Bowles has no idea what to expect from Milliner.“I’ve never seen him healthy, so I don’t know,” Bowles said. “I’m hopeful that this spring he’ll come back healthy, and knock on wood, that his injuries are over. Then we’ll see.”

The Jets will also have to make a decision on whether to exercise his fifth year option in his rookie contract.

rest of avove article : 

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/01/dee-miller-geno-smith-among-jets-with-most-to-prove-in-2016/

On 2/24/2016 at 0:54 PM, Joe Jets fan said:

I just don't understand how anyone thinks the Jets should cut Millner and keep Geno.  Millner played well at the end of his 1st year, then was hurt the next two years.

Geno sucked his first two years then got his jaw broke for being an a$$.

Let Milliner compete and if he gets beat out or he gets hurt yet again then someone else plays.  We have to pay him no matter what and if he gets hurt you IR him and still get to use his roster spot.

Cut Geno and replace with someone better and save a little $$.

How about keep them both and see how they perform in camp and preseason before making "emotional" decisions like cutting a guy you don't like.  

On 2/24/2016 at 4:04 PM, joewilly12 said:

Another 1st round draft pick bust to add to the many others this team should have won multiple Super Bowls if they didnt always pick the wrong guys. 

it really is utterly amazing that regardless of who is doing the picking, the Jets have been terrible with high draft picks over the long haul. 

it really is utterly amazing that regardless of who is doing the picking, the Jets have been terrible with high draft picks over the long haul. 

All teams have bad high draft picks.

What's the absolute worst is when you trade up for a high draft pick and the player does not work out (DFat, Sanchez, Hill, etc.).

Archived