2016 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJets

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I wonder what the Jets are going to do if anything to get a bit more cap room.  The initial Fa feeding frenzy is over, there are still a fair number of decent players out there who thought they were going to get paid but are now sitting by the phone.  There will be some very good 2nd/3rd tier fa bargains out there.  Right now we don't have two nickels to rub together however.

I wouldn't be shocked by a D'Brick restructure and Breno being cut. This would obviously create a huge draft need at OT, but might allow them to bring in some help at DT, LB and TE. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, #bman said:

Qvale at RT, Beachum at LT. That's a lot of savings. But are they any good?

Give me these 2:

Here are my RT and LT selections.

Hoping Mac can make this happen.

falconsb_logo.gif   Ryan Schraeder, OT, Falcons. Age: 28. star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif 
 Ryan Schraeder has emerged as one of the NFL's top right tackles. He's an exceptional pass protector. Just 28 in May, he still has at least four strong years remaining. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2016OT.php#xhKkfsc5clzRy2mg.99

steelersb_logo.gifKelvin Beachum, OT, Steelers. Age: 27.
Kelvin Beachum is a talented left tackle who would be rated a bit higher than this if he wasn't coming off a torn ACL that he sustained in mid-October. There's a chance he could be available for the 2016 opener, however. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2016OT.php#xhKkfsc5clzRy2mg.99

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

DL Jarvis Jenkins to the on a 3-year deal, source said. Low-cost signing at just $2M per year

1. Jarvis Jenkins might have been telling friends about working out a deal with Jets, but I'm told he is now headed to Atlanta. No deal yet.

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:
  1. Jarvis Jenkins might have been telling friends about working out a deal with Jets, but I'm told he is now headed to Atlanta. No deal yet.

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Manish is so ******* useless. What will his next two tweets be?

"Word has it that Tim Tebow just hopped on a flight to New York."

Two minutes later:

"Tebow is only watching a Broadway play, FYI."

I've really come to despise Twitter and how it's used by these "Sports Reporters."

It's become the equivalent of little girls spreading gossip, personal opinion, and false rumors as fact on a school playground. Pure conjecture and wanting the "CRED" to have been the first one to blurt it out to the public before the ACTUAL FACTS can be VERIFIED. 

Damn shame. I thought Jenkins would have been a good depth signing. Alas . . . . 

13 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I've really come to despise Twitter and how it's used by these "Sports Reporters."

It's become the equivalent of little girls spreading gossip, personal opinion, and false rumors as fact on a school playground. Pure conjecture and wanting the "CRED" to have been the first one to blurt it out to the public before the ACTUAL FACTS can be VERIFIED. 

Damn shame. I thought Jenkins would have been a good depth signing. Alas . . . . 

He still might be, he isn't visitng the Falcons or another team, I think its just us and Bears as his suitors.

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I will forever and always blame Mehta, first and foremost.

Salary cap update:

We are currently about 3.5 million over the cap according to Jason's website (which is awesome): http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-jets. The Jets also have to allocate about 4.5 million for the 2016 rookie salary cap, so I expect some moves to be coming shortly. 

Playing with the calculator, I think we cant get to 27 million in cap space by doing the following: http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-york-jets

Cuts:

Brick (although some of those savings will be eaten up by signing Beachum if we go that route). Brick is also a restructure candidate. 

Restructure:

Mangold

Marshall

Decker

Gilchrist

Folk

In other words, the Jets still have some money to play with. Also keep in mind that the team can also save additional monies by cutting Breno (which they may do after the draft if they spend a high pick on a tackle) or if Mo winds up getting traded. 

13 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well that's easy. He's going home to pack and the Jets are going to clear the cap space. I'm not surprised no official deal done. Think there is a deal in principle

Offensive lineman James Carpenter, wide receiver Brandon Marshall and safety Marcus Gilchrist had their base salaries for 2016 guaranteed, according to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini.

Carpenter will earn $4.45 million in base salary this season, Marshall $9.5 million and Gilchrist $5 million.

Gilchrist's cap hit will be $5.625 million while Carpenter's will be $5.575 million -- both due to signing bonuses -- while Marshall's cap hit will be $9.5 million, according to Spotrac.

e6cefbad438ef2a9733e61466f78ce2c_otd0uz4Brian Bassett, theJetsBlog.com Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | TJB Posts

If there was any doubt about whether these people were going to be back with the Jets in 2016, this removes that doubt. What is still up for grabs is whether any of them would get restructured deals as a way to alleviate cap pressure. Marshall had an incredible 2015 season, and the Jets might want to convert that large salary number into a bonus so that it can spread over a few years to make that room. These guarantees are an indication of the Jets faith in these three for 2016, but contracts could still be changed as necessary to create cap room

Cornerback Marcus Sherels will be back for a seventh season with the Vikings. Sherels agreed Friday to a two-year contract. He took a free-agent visit Thursday to the New York Jets and was able to reach a deal to re-sign with Minnesota not long after his return.

"I’m really happy to be staying," Sherels wrote in a text message to the Pioneer Press. "This is a great organization and it’s a lot of fun playing here. I’m excited to get back to work."

That's too bad. He could have been a good fit and improved the return game. I can appreciate Sherels returning to his former team, though. I can also appreciate the Jets not going overboard with money. Special teams generally have to be improved internally by developing cheap young players the way the Jets did during the Mike Westhoff years.

On 3/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Cardinals TE Jermaine Gresham visited Jets today, per source.

YES !!!!

I have wanted this guy since hard knocks.  this bastard CALLS OUT  geno atkins for the oklahama drill, then pancakes his ass !!!!

ok, he cheated a little but the dude has guts

One person who's not afraid of Atkins is tight end Jermaine Gresham. Gresham made a specific request before the Oklahoma drill started, "Geno Atkins, that's who I want, I'm going to call Geno Atkins out."

Gresham got the best of Atkins during the Oklahoma drill, but only because he jumped offsides. Atkins made sure Gresham admitted it on camera. "I cheated today in Oklahoma drill," Gresham said. "But you all watched the film, you saw what happened, you saw that finish."

"You can go back and watch the film, Geno got pancaked," Dalton said, describing the finish.

Archived