2016 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJets

On March 11, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Gas2No99 said:

I've really come to despise Twitter and how it's used by these "Sports Reporters."

It's become the equivalent of little girls spreading gossip, personal opinion, and false rumors as fact on a school playground. Pure conjecture and wanting the "CRED" to have been the first one to blurt it out to the public before the ACTUAL FACTS can be VERIFIED. 

Damn shame. I thought Jenkins would have been a good depth signing. Alas . . . . 

can't believe anything until Scheffer tweets it...then and only then is it real.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Gas2No99 said:

I've really come to despise Twitter and how it's used by these "Sports Reporters."

It's become the equivalent of little girls spreading gossip, personal opinion, and false rumors as fact on a school playground. Pure conjecture and wanting the "CRED" to have been the first one to blurt it out to the public before the ACTUAL FACTS can be VERIFIED. 

Damn shame. I thought Jenkins would have been a good depth signing. Alas . . . . 

Twitter is just garbage

I do wish we would sign Jermaine Gresham. Dude was pushed down on the depth chart on the Bengals due to Tyler Eifert getting starts and then last year did not see any balls come his way in that crazy cards offense. 

6'5 talented TE who can contribute. Id think he'd be our starting TE, and potentially our best one in quite some time. I wonder if his $$ demands were too high.

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

I do wish we would sign Jermaine Gresham. Dude was pushed down on the depth chart on the Bengals due to Tyler Eifert getting starts and then last year did not see any balls come his way in that crazy cards offense. 

6'5 talented TE who can contribute. Id think he'd be our starting TE, and potentially our best one in quite some time. I wonder if his $$ demands were too high.

The and both offered TE Jermaine Gresham strong 4-year deals. He opted to go back to AZ on one-year deal and reset his market.

Free agent DE Quinton Coples is visiting the Rams on Monday.

Coples had a physical with the Panthers in early March, but the two sides did not work out a deal. Miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker with the Jets, the former No. 16 overall pick would be a good post-hype signing for a 4-3 defense. The Rams could use some depth at defensive end after cutting Chris Long.

Wouldn't mind us putting Will Beatty through a physical. He missed the season last year with a torn pec, and then injured his rotator cuff in rehabbing the pec injury, so they just IR'd him instead of making him active off PUP. I don't like either of those injuries for a tackle. He really did have a great season when he was last in live action for the Giants in 2014. If his history is any indicator he goes good-then-bad year (2011) good year (2012) bad year (2013) good year (2014) bad year (2015) and maybe 2016 will continue the trend and be a good year. If you believe in superstition lol. 

Anyway, if he's up to the task physically, he can play both sides, which would allow us to clear up to $11M this year on Brick (adding in Beatty's lower $ instead). Then that flexibility means we're looking for any tackle in the draft instead of just looking for a LT. We can let Breno go and recoup another $4M+ savings later in the spring or over the summer. Wonder what he's looking for in terms of $. Couldn't - or shouldn't - be too ridiculous. I can't see him getting big multi-year offers at his age after that 2015 season. If he's even yet healed enough to play, of course.

Any news on him? I haven't seen anything since the Giants cut him a month ago.

Jets re-signed WR Kenbrell Thompkins to a one-year, $1.67 million contract.

Thompkins was a restricted free agent tendered at the original-round level. The ex-Pat caught 17 passes last season, playing 285 snaps. We wouldn't consider it a given that he keeps his place on the 53-man roster.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Former Steelers' OT Kelvin Beachum reached agreement with Jacksonville, per league source.

Money talks and this offseason the Jets don't have alot of it. Fans are going to prep the Maccagnan airplane, I bet. Stupid bastards.

Bummer. Our OL won't be able to open any holes in the running game and our depth on the OL is terrible

We're going to be throwing the ball a LOT! this year.

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bummer. Our OL won't be able to open any holes in the running game and our depth on the OL is terrible

We're going to be throwing the ball a LOT! this year.

Well who do they have?

Mangold, Giacomini, Carpenter, D-Brick, Winters are the starters

Brent Qvale, Jesse Davis, Craig Watts, Jarvis Harrison, Wesley Johnson, Sean Hickey, Lawrence Okoye are the backups.

Overall, the OL did a nice job pass blocking last year ( near the bottom in sacks given up) but run blocking was very iffy 

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well who do they have?

Mangold, Giacomini, Carpenter, D-Brick, Winters are the starters

Brent Qvale, Jesse Davis, Craig Watts, Jarvis Harrison, Wesley Johnson, Sean Hickey, Lawrence Okoye are the backups.

Overall, the OL did a nice job pass blocking last year ( near the bottom in sacks given up) but run blocking was very iffy 

Fitz was a magician getting out of those collapsing pockets and breaking off a rum or throwing ball away.

OL could easily had another 10 sacks given up if not for Fitz

17 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

RT is biggest liability right now, Giacomini - they playing with fire imo letting him start - but we have no one else

Agreed.... welcome to the board!

Family's from Bay Ridge.... when it used to be all Irish/Italian.

Archived