Quinton Coples agrees to 2-year contract with Rams

BurnleyJet

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644964/article/quinton-coples-agrees-to-2year-contract-with-rams

Coples agrees to 2-year contract with Rams

The Los Angeles Rams are the latest team that hopes to eek a pass rush out of Quinton Coples.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports Coples agreed to a two-year deal to join L.A.. NFL Media's Rand Getlin adds the deal has a base value of $6.5 million, with a max value of $9.75 million, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The New York Jets cut the former No. 16 overall pick of the 2012 draft last November. Copels then spent six -- mostly silent -- games with the Miami Dolphins before being released this offseason.

The pass rusher earned zero sacks in 15 games between the Jets and Dolphins last season and compiled four quarterback hits and 12 QB hurries in 292 snaps.

Always miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker with the Jets, Coples should find a fit better as a defensive end in the Rams' 4-3 scheme.

After the Rams jettisoned Chris Long -- who landed with the New England Patriots -- L.A. adds Coples to a defensive end crew led by Robert Quinn, and the re-signed duo of William Hayes and Eugene Sims.

Don't expect Coples to be more than a rotational player at this stage, but it's a low-risk signing by the Rams with the potential for solid returns.

16 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644964/article/quinton-coples-agrees-to-2year-contract-with-rams

Coples agrees to 2-year contract with Rams

The Los Angeles Rams are the latest team that hopes to eek a pass rush out of Quinton Coples.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports Coples agreed to a two-year deal to join L.A.. NFL Media's Rand Getlin adds the deal has a base value of $6.5 million, with a max value of $9.75 million, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The New York Jets cut the former No. 16 overall pick of the 2012 draft last November. Copels then spent six -- mostly silent -- games with the Miami Dolphins before being released this offseason.

The pass rusher earned zero sacks in 15 games between the Jets and Dolphins last season and compiled four quarterback hits and 12 QB hurries in 292 snaps.

Always miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker with the Jets, Coples should find a fit better as a defensive end in the Rams' 4-3 scheme.

After the Rams jettisoned Chris Long -- who landed with the New England Patriots -- L.A. adds Coples to a defensive end crew led by Robert Quinn, and the re-signed duo of William Hayes and Eugene Sims.

Don't expect Coples to be more than a rotational player at this stage, but it's a low-risk signing by the Rams with the potential for solid returns.

meh, if they are smart, they will play him along the interior

18 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Upfield penetration in fishers 46 D a good fit. How long does fisher last, though?

im a big fan of fisher but I'm in the minority I think

but why 6.5M?  Who were they bidding against?  A CFL team?

• 2 weeks later...
On March 16, 2016 at 5:43 PM, chirorob said:

Be interesting to see what he could do there.  I'm not his biggest fan, but he was not used properly here.

On March 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM, ylekram said:

meh, if they are smart, they will play him along the interior

On March 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Great opportunity for Q. I've always felt like he needed to be in a 4-3 defense. Rams is a nice spot for him. 

On March 16, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Shadetree said:

Upfield penetration in fishers 46 D a good fit.

Quinton Coples - DL -  Rams

Coach Jeff Fisher believes newly-signed DE Quinton Coples is a good fit with the Rams.

"Coples, we think, is probably better suited with his hand down and rushing in an even front," Fisher said. "Now we’ll do some variation stuff with him, but it was just kind of a little out of place." The No. 16 overall pick by the Jets in 2012, Coples struggled as a 3-4 outside linebacker before being waived midway through last season. He did not do much in a short stint with the Dolphins last year, but a full offseason in a 4-3 scheme could be what he needs to turn his career around. Coples has 16.5 sacks in four seasons, but he did not record any last year.

Source: ESPN 
Mar 29 - 11:02 A

Coples needs to put some weight back on, and carve out a niche as a 3rd down, pass rushing interior lineman.  His best asset is his strength.  Like Trevor Pryce or Justin Tuck.

Rex may have ruined him with the OLB thing.  Not like he had a choice.  Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace just aged and aged and proper replacements were never drafted by Tannenbaum.

2 hours ago, pointman said:

Coples could have been good, still can. I don't get trying to make a big man like that who succeeded up front and trying to turn him into a backer. I hope he does well.

Are you questioning Rex? Say what? ?

Be interesting to see what he could do there.  I'm not his biggest fan, but he was not used properly here.

If he was ever as good as people believe he was as a lineman, in practice or camp you would have a point.  If you take one for the team and move to a position where you sacrifice production I would agree.  Just find it hard to believe that two defensive HCs, two staffs didn't see he was suited for or better suited to play as a DL and that we'll see a drastically different player.

More than a position change to me, needs a heart transplant to improve.  He just never seemed to give a shlt

I agree Rex moving him to OLB hurt his play and Bowles just gave up on him.  He was good when he did get to play DE

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

If he was ever as good as people believe he was as a lineman, in practice or camp you would have a point.  If you take one for the team and move to a position where you sacrifice production I would agree.  Just find it hard to believe that two defensive HCs, two staffs didn't see he was suited for or better suited to play as a DL and that we'll see a drastically different player.

More than a position change to me, needs a heart transplant to improve.  He just never seemed to give a shlt

Based off of what, his quiet demeanor?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Had 16.5 sacks in his first 3 years, including the position change. Wilkerson had 18.5 from his natural position. But, you spin your tale however you like.

And your last paragraph is basically made up. You have no idea how much he cared or tried. Come on. 

8 hours ago, pointman said:

Coples could have been good, still can. I don't get trying to make a big man like that who succeeded up front and trying to turn him into a backer. I hope he does well.

I don't think - with Ryan or Bowles after him - it was a particular idea that Coples was better suited to OLB (where he was often a stand-up DE anyway) than always on the DL. More that there were better and more productive DLmen than Coples and the choice was to put him at OLB or stick him on the bench until a DE got injured.

We could have switched to a 4-man line but I don't think we had the edge rush ends to do that (not that they were any better in what was often/mostly the same basic function standing up as OLBs); nor did we have the lateral speed in the LB corps to go with only 3 backers (Harris and Davis and who was going to cover the mid-field from sideline to sideline? Maybe Allen, if he was healthy, but that's a stretch/guess idea at best. Harris is too slow outright, and Davis's reaction time and often general poor play effectively makes him even slower than Harris, even if he would whip him in a dead heat). So they did what they did because the team kept adding and finding talented DTs and DE/DT 'tweeners. They didn't even add enough DE/OLB 'tweeners to relegate Pace to the bench or situational duty.

So it was just a matter of numbers. They had no obvious true OLB must-start players, and the DL was overloaded with talent. Hell, we're still overloaded with must-start DE-DT types even without Coples.

Coples was cut mid-season.  That's an indictment on effort vs ability IMO.  He's always had a rep for taking plays off and being lazy.  A guy like him doesn't get cut in the middle of the season unless there was some pretty egregious stuff going on, it's not like he was a fringe roster player making room for someone else.  Personally I think that's why he's never going to be anywhere near his potential no matter where he plays. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Had 16.5 sacks in his first 3 years, including the position change. Wilkerson had 18.5 from his natural position. But, you spin your tale however you like.

And your last paragraph is basically made up. You have no idea how much he cared or tried. Come on. 

Yes, he had 16.5 sacks in his first 3 seasons.  A huge chunk of his 3rd season he was a LB.. His numbers hardly changed.  

And if you want to compare Voples to Mo because they had similar sack totals that means you can read the sack column and never watched football.  To one, anywhere thinks they're similar players and should be compared to each other because, you know, their sack totals were close enough.

its not because of a position change, it's because he plays heartless, uninspired football.  You think hats made up? What's the matter you have a QC jersey in your closet.  He had a rep as a mutt coming out of college, played like a mutt with the Jets and was content being a lousy football player stealing his check from the Jets

Watch him when he was at North Carolina. His last year he took the year basically off. He didn't want to get injured and he was going to be a high draft pick. Never cared for a player like that. Goulston was the same way at Michigan St. as well as Houstons Clowney.  The Jets should of never drafted him since he wasn't a LB but a Defensive End basically in a 4:3 defense.

Archived