Fitz ain't comin back

David Harris

What about Nick Foles?  I know he had a bad year last year but he's still young and showed some promise in Philly.  With the Rams trading for the #1 pick and signing Keenum you have to think he could be available.  I think I'd prefer taking a shot on him as opposed to bringing in Hoyer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I agree with the article - Forget Fitz. The Jets have a tougher schedule, lost a pillar LT, a thousand yard rusher and one of the league's best run stuffers. Even if Fitz does return, does anyone think the Jets will be one game better next season than this past season, especially with the NFC West and AFC North looming on the schedule? That being the case, it's time to rebuild. Let's either move up and draft Lynch, or (and I actually think this is a viable option) see what Geno can do with actual receivers at his disposal. 

As much as I can't stand Geno Smith, I agree with your statement. I think Fitzpatrick will end up in Denver at a fraction of what the Jets offered. He is NOT getting 14 million per season by anyone. Thanks for the nice season last year, but it is time to move on.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

He could certainly retire but he stands to make a lot of money even with the Jets low ball (in his mind offer) he can make another 20 million before he retires. That is hard to pass up.

More more more.  Fact is you can have a very nice lifelong lifestyle probably with what he already has, and that assumes he doesn't do anything else for a living, which he probably will do in any event.

I would be more concerned about the point that he seems not that interested in accomplishing much else in football.  I think there is some evidence of that.

1 hour ago, nyjets782 said:

The only thing Fitz could possibly be holding onto is interest from Denver, but no matter what happens with Kaep, they are not paying Fitz anywhere close to $16M.  Once/if the Jets move on, Denver could offer Fitz $5M and he'd have to take it.

I think Denver could have interest in Fitz but they are smart enough not to be dragged into a bidding war for a journeyman and Mac is taking the same approach.  If I was advising Fitz, it would have been to sign before the draft because again, if the Jets draft a guy or if Denver drafts a guy, that further weakens his already weak position. 

To be sure he's taking a chance.  But my point was that as of now we can't rule out that Denver still might pursue him.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

The other option nobody has mentioned here is Fitzpatrick may not care.

Given his background, he is a SMART dude.  He has lots of kids.  I am sure he has been wise with his money.  He may very well be thinking that if he IS going to come back, it is for money.  If he doesn't, he retires and goes and lives his life financial secure with more years that his body does not have to take a pounding. 

VERY possible this is the reason he is playing hardball with his contract demands.

Fitz's agents overestimated his market value to the rest of the league, especially his value to the Jets. They messed up big time, and since  the market for him his literally disappeared, he really has no choice but to re-sign with the Jets, but seems to be waiting for some sort of face saving contract.  Not sure if the Jets are going to offer him one.  That ship might have sailed.  We'll see...

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

More more more.  Fact is you can have a very nice lifelong lifestyle probably with what he already has, and that assumes he doesn't do anything else for a living, which he probably will do in any event.

I would be more concerned about the point that he seems not that interested in accomplishing much else in football.  I think there is some evidence of that.

i would think he would love to make the play-offs at least once in his life time

1 hour ago, jetfan39 said:

i would think he would love to make the play-offs at least once in his life time

If Fitz's main concern was to play in the playoffs he should have worked harder to become a better QB. Put the effort into fixing his mechanics, recognizing post-snap changes, being able to progress past his first read. I think fitz is plenty satisfied with the paycheck and lifestyle of a middling journeyman and is clearly not motivated by winning IMO

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but Fitz needs to take what the Jets offer him, because i'm a Jets fan. 

He really doesn't.  In fact, does anyone have his address?  I'd like to send him a Blu-ray of Concussion.  Maybe that'd get him to retire and end the madness of potentially paying him big $$$.

Fitz, if ya read this... stick to your guns man!  You're way too good of a player to risk your health for anything short of 15mil.  Demand 15mil+ or retire!

Quite blaming Fitzpatrick and start blaming the real villains in this affair, dumbass teams like the Texans who handed 18 mill a year to 6 game starter with limited success or Philly who hands 16 million to the suspect Sam Bradford and another 7 to a back up (and the talking heads say they are still trying to trade up for a QB)

Those bone head teams set an artificially high market, our front office smartly has their own $ figure in mind.

This will be very likely be Fitzs last contract in the NFL so he is going for the score or as close to it as he can get.  If he wants to play this year he will have to come down to the Jets offering becasue the Jets won't and can't go higher than their top end value.  If he won't budge he either retires (a real possibility) or sits around until someone gets hurt for another team.

Quite blaming Fitzpatrick and start blaming the real villains in this affair, dumbass teams like the Texans who handed 18 mill a year to 6 game starter with limited success or Philly who hands 16 million to the suspect Sam Bradford and another 7 to a back up (and the talking heads say they are still trying to trade up for a QB)

Those bone head teams set an artificially high market, our front office smartly has their own $ figure in mind.

This will be very likely be Fitzs last contract in the NFL so he is going for the score or as close to it as he can get.  If he wants to play this year he will have to come down to the Jets offering becasue the Jets won't and can't go higher than their top end value.  If he won't budge he either retires (a real possibility) or sits around until someone gets hurt for another team.

Those other contracts have absolutely nothing to do with Fitz.

The Eagles and Texans are paying QB's on what they think their future production and upside can be.

The reason why other teams, including the Jets, are low-balling Fitz is because he has no upside and very questionable future production.

What other QB's are being offered and what Fitz is being offered are mutually exclusive of each other.

12 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would you, or any fan, give a 1,000 sh*ts about what happens to Fitz?

He either signs with the Jets or he doesn't.

What is there to care about?

LMAO This from a man who spends most of his day trolling the message board of a team he should not give a sh*t about. :huh: PRICELESS

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

What other QB's are being offered and what Fitz is being offered are mutually exclusive of each other.

50f85115157c9.png

There is no such thing as a market, al players exist in a special place, unique from all others, and no deal ever effects any other deal.

For cereal.

19 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The Jets Fo are okay going in another direction at Qb.( have to respect their decision as they have a value what Fitzpatrick is worth . They aren't going to way behind that.

Jmo  I don't think Ryan Fitzpatrick cares either about that ( playing for the Jets),  as he sees it a matter of principle.( like the jets , he has a value in his mind ( his worth) and isn't going below that).    When traded to the Jets last year, he almost retired.( so I think he's prepared to go in that direction- put his Harvard degree to work). 

So I believe Ryan Fitzpatrick is prepared to stay home and hope that some contending team starting Qb goes down with an injury - in training camp.  If that happens he suddenly becomes a hot commodity.  If that scenario doesn't occur he probably prepared to retire from the Game.

The Jets get off to a bad start, and the offense struggles.  You know a lot of Jet fans are going to question the decision not to give Fitzpatrick starting pay salary.( they would be wrong , as your Fo has made a professional decision regarding Fitzpatrick.

He will never get the money he wants.  But playing for a contender might entice him.  The Jets are doing the right thing with him.  He has a value in their minds.  Do not vary from the amount.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick coming off a good season is flat out greedy his best year of his career with the Jets last season didnt amount to the playoffs he's not worth what he wants. 

It isn't greedy to want or hold out for what you think you're worth; if he doesn't get it, that's on him and I bet he understands that.

Do I think he's worth it?  Nope...but I understand his position.  Personally, I think people like Fitz and Hoyer are just impediments to ultimately solving the NYJ QB issue, a band-aid do to speak.

But I ain't gonna demean someone by assigning a motive like greed to their actions.

32 minutes ago, jack48 said:

He will never get the money he wants.  But playing for a contender might entice him.  The Jets are doing the right thing with him.  He has a value in their minds.  Do not vary from the amount.

He probably won't get anywhere close to the money he wants.( the market been set) Doesn't mean he returns to the Jets because that's his best offer either.  ( never said either party was wrong - as they just have a different idea of his worth.   

Might be best for both parties to move on.  It wouldn't surprise me if Fitzpatrick retires.   Almost retired last season , and I don't see him playing what he perceives well below what he thinks he worth.( tough for us fans to see anyone walk away from the money he could have made with the Jets.

7 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Fitz's agents overestimated his market value to the rest of the league, especially his value to the Jets. They messed up big time, and since  the market for him his literally disappeared, he really has no choice but to re-sign with the Jets, but seems to be waiting for some sort of face saving contract.  Not sure if the Jets are going to offer him one.  That ship might have sailed.  We'll see...

we don't know a damned thing about anything.  About all we know is the jets and fitz haven't agreed to a deal

if we are going to assume most of the reports are true, it seems to me the veteran agent and the harvard economics/math major have taken a position that they want a starter deal and starter money or to pick and choose the right backup gig, or to walk away

if we are to believe the reports, woody is on record as saying "come back to the jets"

if any of it is true, macccgnan is doing his best but has to be considered a spectator at best as fitz weighs options possibly with denver or he can just wait it out and see if someone gets hurt and he can pick and choose his deal

there is no way after the bills contract a family with 2 harvard grads is sweating his 5th contract to play QB in the NFL

c'mon man

of course this means the jets will announce the hoyer signing by morning

10 hours ago, Larz said:

we don't know a damned thing about anything.  About all we know is the jets and fitz haven't agreed to a deal

if we are going to assume most of the reports are true, it seems to me the veteran agent and the harvard economics/math major have taken a position that they want a starter deal and starter money or to pick and choose the right backup gig, or to walk away

if we are to believe the reports, woody is on record as saying "come back to the jets"

if any of it is true, macccgnan is doing his best but has to be considered a spectator at best as fitz weighs options possibly with denver or he can just wait it out and see if someone gets hurt and he can pick and choose his deal

there is no way after the bills contract a family with 2 harvard grads is sweating his 5th contract to play QB in the NFL

c'mon man

of course this means the jets will announce the hoyer signing by morning

The jets literally have no legit starting QB on the team as of right now, so I find it hard to believe that they haven't yet signed the only truly viable option for them in 2016.........unless of course, they don't want him and they intend on going balls out in the draft to get a QB.  If they wanted him on the team, he would have been signed by now in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The jets literally have no legit starting QB on the team as of right now, so I find it hard to believe that they haven't yet signed the only truly viable option for them in 2016.........unless of course, they don't want him and they intend on going balls out in the draft to get a QB.  If they wanted him on the team, he would have been signed by now in my opinion. 

Imo it is too much to assume that "if they wanted him" etc because the key factor is at what price do they want him.  Sure if they wanted him at Fitzpatrick's price, but no one apparently does.

Some people and maybe Fitz and his agents are in that group look at what someone like Sam Bradford signed for and say Fitzpatrick is in that neighborhood.  I don't.  I think Bradford had a rough year coming back from a major injury with a team with an HC who was fired and did not seem to know what to do with him, but even so I think he got better as the year went on.  Including a win over New England with a near 100 Qb rating and a win over the Giants for the last game of the season with a Qb rating of 108.3.  Plus he's only 28, and still has the potential to be the franchise Qb for the Eagles.  Imo he has a big year this year, at least a significant improvement.

So let's put Sam Bradford aside as a comparator.

But... I do think it beyond question the Jets view Fitzpatrick as a better fit than Hoyer, and they should.

I still think the Jets and Fitzpatrick compromise at some point, probably around $10mil.

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Those other contracts have absolutely nothing to do with Fitz.

The Eagles and Texans are paying QB's on what they think their future production and upside can be.

The reason why other teams, including the Jets, are low-balling Fitz is because he has no upside and very questionable future production.

You are simply wrong with your 1st point when talking about how players and agents view the topic at hand.  The Jets agree with you, that is why Fitz has not been signed but you are awfully naive if you walk into your meeting with Ftiz and his agent and they don't point out that Qb's who had worse years than your guy are getting paid double of what you are offering.

Yeah, Eagles are paying Bradford 16 mill a year for two years and Daniels 7 mill a year (and are trying to trade up for another QB).  Thus Fitz and or his agent can simply say hey, give us a 2 year deal and we will out produce Sam Bradford.

You can look at it from the point of view of only the teams all you like, we all know that players and agents use other contracts to set prices.

Archived