Hackenberg is in the HOUSE!!!

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Cam Newton had a horrible pro day. Also Teddy Bridgewater, and Drew Brees. 

Obviously Geno is a better QB than those bums 

It'd be fine if he had a bad pro day if he didn't also have a terrible career.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

didn't step into the throw, got lucky WR made a play  ;-)

He stopped stepping into throws as a sophomore. When he talks about footwork it almost sounds like he's saying that he was coached to use poor footwork. I see a lot of option QBs throw without setting their feet, and it kills their accuracy but I guess it increases the speed in which they get the ball out. Petty threw that way a lot. 

Seems weird, but when O'Brien was there he would have been pulled out of the game for throwing that way. 

The best case scenario comparison I saw for Hackenberg is Eli. Eli isn't particularly accurate, and he's not a charismatic leader, but he can take a beating and make enough plays to win football games. The issue with Hackenberg is that he comes off as mentally weak and a bit of an entitled puss. That's death in the NFL.

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

He stopped stepping into throws as a sophomore. When he talks about footwork it almost sounds like he's saying that he was coached to use poor footwork. I see a lot of option QBs throw without setting their feet, and it kills their accuracy but I guess it increases the speed in which they get the ball out. Petty threw that way a lot. 

Seems weird, but when O'Brien was there he would have been pulled out of the game for throwing that way. 

I was trying to make a funny

I guess I'm not funny :-(

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The best case scenario comparison I saw for Hackenberg is Eli. Eli isn't particularly accurate, and he's not a charismatic leader, but he can take a beating and make enough plays to win football games. The issue with Hackenberg is that he comes off as mentally weak and a bit of an entitled puss. That's death in the NFL.

What about Papke?

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

i don't see how you can say he comes off as mentally weak. the situation he dealt with at PSU was absolutely horrible. yet he stuck it out, stayed in the program and never gave up. how you can equate that to being mentally weak is beyond me

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

his new coach actually made him switch to the footwork that you see. in gruden qb camp film he talks about it because gruden asks why and he says he was doing what his coach told him to do

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was trying to make a funny

I guess I'm not funny :-(

It would be funny except that he really didn't step into the throw, That one went where he wanted, but half the time that ball will sail and make you look like you suck, which is exactly what happened to him. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

No, not at all.

Hack couldn't complete passes at the combine in shorts and a t-shirt.

What do you think he will do in the NFL?

cam newton completed 50% of his passes at the combine. tom brady completed 48% against the broncos :-D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It would be funny except that he really didn't step into the throw, That one went where he wanted, but half the time that ball will sail and make you look like you suck, which is exactly what happened to him. 

And that's a relatively minor issue, honestly. He certainly has the ability to do it. He was simply instructed to change up his footwork. Sometimes, he even admits, he ignored it, and he would step into throws, and stay in his natural stance with the correct foot back.

if u watch that video from the other thread, you will see how AWFUL his OL was. now i dont know crap about him and penn state but i have heard how bad that line is. Until you watch the temple lions clips you will never understand what a bad OL looks like. guys constantly came pouring in untouched or making simple moves. other observations:

1. hes tough. he can take a hit. thats a good thing. would you like a scared injury prone dude?

2. his incompletions, if you watch, were more like throw aways. he seemed to see when there was no play and a risky throw wasnt made. instead he threw where neither the wr or db can grab it. interesting to see what his int rate was. might be low. Do you like an int machine ...another geno?

3. without question, hes a skilled chess master. he reads and calls audibles to make better matchups. thats something thats a gift, something rarely coachable. that is special.

4. his coaching apparantly sucked i hear.

so imagine him with weapons and a stout line (i know)....

i like the pick i think we might have something good for a change

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i don't see how you can say he comes off as mentally weak. the situation he dealt with at PSU was absolutely horrible. yet he stuck it out, stayed in the program and never gave up. how you can equate that to being mentally weak is beyond me

TomShane knows mentally weak when he see its, like in the mirror everyday 

I'd trust him on this one 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Where do you get that idea from?

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

You can give a guy credit for hanging in at Penn State, but the fact that he went dramatically backwards under that adversity doesn't speak well for his mental toughness. A lot of QBs play in overmatched situations in college and don't collapse as a player. Jared Goff played on a pitiful Cal squad and put up Madden numbers year after year. Lynch played on a Memphis squad that wasn't exactly a football factory. Every scouting report you read talks about Hackenberg being a mush in the pocket, and that Gruden thing was pitiful with the way he was embracing excuses. You guys are working really, really hard to make those same excuses for Hackenberg sucking at PSU. 

Here's Brugler on Hackenberg. These are all fatal flaws on the pro level. Reads like Mark Sanchez.

".................

WEAKNESSES: Nonexistent feel or awareness in the pocket, struggling to navigate himself around the noise. Slow to process and late reading coverages due to questionable vision. Immature eye use, staring down targets and predetermining throws, which leads to inexplicable decisions. 

Wasn't consistently asked to make whole field reads or work sideline-to-sideline in his progressions. Confidence needs rebuilt. Too relaxed and needs to show more urgency from snap to release. 

Highly inconsistent ball placement and downfield touch, struggling to control his ball speeds. Upper and lower half mechanics are often on different pages, affecting his overall accuracy. Doesn't need to drive his hips to add zip on throws, but improved follow through motion will help his precision. Methodical set-up and delivery, but often out of rhythm. 

Deer in headlights when blitzed - often sees it coming, but doesn't make the proper adjustments pre- or post-snap. Played behind a shaky offensive line (sacked 103 times in his career), but too many of those hits were of his own doing, holding the ball too long and clamming up under pressure. 

Quick-footed athlete for his size, but won't routinely evade pressures with a bad habit of retreating and getting lost. Ball security needs improved (17 career fumbles). Didn't miss a game in college, but missed the second half of his final game in January due to a sprained right shoulder - not considered serious, but needs cleared. Completion percentage dropped each season.

COMPARES TO: Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears -- Players with power arms and well-built frames, Hackenberg and Cutler have similar strengths, but also similar question marks as inconsistent ball placement and pocket awareness can limit their pro ceilings.

IN OUR VIEW: A three-year starter, Hackenberg had a promising freshman campaign in 2013 under the guidance of Bill O'Brien, but his development regressed with the new coaching staff the past two seasons. He didn't receive much help from his surroundings the past two years with questionable play-calling, inconsistent weapons and a leaky offensive line, but Hackenberg deserves plenty of blame as well. 

Although he has special arm talent, the tape shows flawed decision-making, poor pocket awareness and streaky accuracy due to unstable mechanics. There is no question that Hackenberg will benefit from NFL coaching, but the game still moves at light speed for him and hasn't shown signs of slowing down - is he already damaged goods? 

Overall, the physical traits and arm strength are ideal for the NFL, but Hackenberg doesn't show a natural feel for the game and lacks a strong grasp in three critical areas of playing the position: touch, placement and decision-making.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

And that's a relatively minor issue, honestly. He certainly has the ability to do it. He was simply instructed to change up his footwork. Sometimes, he even admits, he ignored it, and he would step into throws, and stay in his natural stance with the correct foot back.

I'm just saying that was a perfect example of why he had so many throws way off target. He had plenty of room to step into that throw.

It may turn out to be the best thing to happen for us. We never would have gotten him if he wasn't so royally Sandusky'd

• Upvote 1

COMPARES TO: Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears -- Players with power arms and well-built frames, Hackenberg and Cutler have similar strengths, but also similar question marks as inconsistent ball placement and pocket awareness can limit their pro ceilings.

weird.  I remember someone who was in love with cutler

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

weird.  I remember someone who was in love with cutler

@bitonti loved Cutler.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Do you see all this arguing Macc? 

This would not be happening if we simply traded for Mike Glennon. ;)

Hell no, I'd be pissed if we traded for Glennon. Much rather have Hackenberg, then the guy who got beat out by McCown and helped cement his team getting Winston. Take note, this was also with VJ and Mike Evans. Dude is Kevin Kolb.