Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

Jet Fan RI

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They most certainly did.  Fitz was told he was brought in to be a backup.  Chan announced Geno was the starter.  Geno was outplaying Fitz.

Geno haters close their eyes to all of this.  

You mean when Fitz was unable to play recovering from a broken leg? Of course he was outplaying him. He couldn't play!

If Geno doesn't get decked, how long before he was replaced? Preseason? Week 2?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Then try and say the evaluation is due to some voodoo analytical evaluation that includes what the guy did as a rookie and 2nd year player with absolutely no talent around him.

This "no talent around him" urban legend stuff just has to stop.

Jets Skill Starters w/ Geno Smith (2014):

RB:  Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson, Bilal Powell, John Connor (FB)
WR:  Percy Harvin, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Greg Salas, David Nelson, Chris Owusu
TE:  Jace Amaro, Jeff Cumberland, Zach Sudfeld 

Jets Skill Starters w/ Fitz (2015):

RB:  Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley, Tommy Bohannon (FB)
WR:  Brandon Marshal, Eric Decker, Jeremey Kerley, Quincy Enenuwa, Devon Smith, Chris Owusu
TE:  Jeff Cumberland, Kellen Davis

Geno and Fitz played with generally similar O-lines, Geno got younger years from our best O-linemen, Fitz got a slight upgrade in talent but an older worse O-line from the studs.

Geno had younger Ivory, younger Powell, and a similarly (if not more) run-focused and dependent Offense.  Johnson, crazy as he was, was still massively better than Ridley et al.  FB's are a wash, generally irrelevant.

Geno had half a year with Percy Harvin vs. Fitz a whole year with Marshall.  That's definitely material, agreed, although it's debatable as to cause given Marshall's recent years if that's fully on Marshall himself or Fitz/the System, especially since Marshall appeared in decline last year with only 700 or so yards, and Marshall also had plenty of drops and a few "here, you have it" INT's this year.

We can quibble with how hurt Decker was then vs. how hurt Decker was with Fitz, but thats nitpicking at best about having "no talent" around him.  Decker started 15 games, playing in 15 with Geno Smith, being targeted 115 times.  Decker played in 15 games, starting 13 with Fitz, targeted 132 times.  Geno had Decker, most of the year, healthy enough to play.  Same as Fitz.

Geno had a full season with Amaro, in a system that used the TE vs. Fitz who had nobody in a system that wouldn't use the TE anyway, not a material difference really.

Geno had a similar defense:  Ranked 6th overall, 14th vs. the Pass, 5th vs. the Run.  They failed mostly in points allowed, due in no small part to Geno being unable to sustain drives, and Geno's turnovers (21).

Fitz's D was better, certainly, ranked 4th overall, 13th vs. the Pass, 2nd vs. the Run.  But they were vastly better in point scored against them, with fewer short fields and turnovers by Fitz (17).  

Now, we can say Marty M. was different than Chan, and he is, but both were, before coming here, generally well respected O-Co's.  Marty in his 13 years Pre-Geno, averaged 9th in the NFL in offense.  9th.  Here he ranked 25th and 22nd.  I'm sorry, this is not the make or break either, and Marty has as much (or more) cause to complain about Geno as Geno does about Marty.

This is no "black and white" Fitz-got-all-the-talent, Geno-had-none that you keep trying to make it out to be.  Geno had a somewhat similar level of talent, on O, on D, and as coaches.  

And of course there a certain group hell bent on having Fitz as their QB.  As if Geno were to take the top spot and push Fitz aside it makes them wrong.

Let me clear as I can, I've been wrong before, I will be wrong again, and as long as my being wrong means the Jets do BETTER, I will be HAPPY to be wrong wrong wrong.

If Geno Smith is indeed our starter, and he throws 32 TD's and only 12 INT's, and wins (on his back) 11 games, I will be the first to say I was wrong.  Done it before, will do it again.  I've backed wrong horses before, Patrick Ramsey being the most imfamous.  I've also been dead on right before, on Pennington post-injury, on Sanchez from day 1, and thus far on Geno Smith. 

One wonders tho, if you'd be so fair, or if it would once again be the endless litany of excuses, just need a fair chance, couldn't do it without X injury, bla blah blah we always get with the Sanchez's, Geno Smith's and others at QB.

After the Fitz is the best since Namath like proclamations we just cant go to Geno.  Makes us look bad

Statistically, Fitz is the 2nd best single-season QB the Jets have ever had.  At that time he was on pace to be an easy #1.  Statistically, nothing more.  It's called math my friend, you don;t have to like it, but you don't get your own facts to deny it.  Which is the only point that was being made.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

WR:  Percy Harvin, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Greg Salas, David Nelson, Chris Owusu

WR:  Brandon Marshal, Eric Decker, Jeremey Kerley, Quincy Enenuwa, Devon Smith, Chris Owusu

Geno and Fitz played with generally similar O-lines, Geno got younger years from our best O-linemen, Fitz got a slight upgrade in talent but an older worse O-line from the studs.

Geno had younger Ivory, younger Powell, and a similarly (if not more) run-focused and dependent Offense.  Johnson, crazy as he was, was still massively better than Ridley et al.  FB's are a wash, generally irrelevant.

Geno had half a year with Percy Harvin vs. Fitz a whole year with Marshall.  That's definitely material, agreed, although it's debatable as to cause given Marshall's recent years if that's fully on Marshall himself or Fitz/the System, especially since Marshall appeared in decline last year with only 700 or so yards, and Marshall also had plenty of drops and a few "here, you have it" INT's this year.

We can quibble with how hurt Decker was then vs. how hurt Decker was with Fitz, but thats nitpicking at best about having "no talent" around him.  Decker started 15 games, playing in 15 with Geno Smith, being targeted 115 times.  Decker played in 15 games, starting 13 with Fitz, targeted 132 times.  Geno had Decker, most of the year, healthy enough to play.  Same as Fitz.

Geno had a full season with Amaro, in a system that used the TE vs. Fitz who had nobody in a system that wouldn't use the TE anyway, not a material difference really.

Geno had a similar defense:  Ranked 6th overall, 14th vs. the Pass, 5th vs. the Run.  They failed mostly in points allowed, due in no small part to Geno being unable to sustain drives, and Geno's turnovers (21).

Fitz's D was better, certainly, ranked 4th overall, 13th vs. the Pass, 2nd vs. the Run.  But they were vastly better in point scored against them, with fewer short fields and turnovers by Fitz (17).  

Now, we can say Marty M. was different than Chan, and he is, but both were, before coming here, generally well respected O-Co's.  Marty in his 13 years Pre-Geno, averaged 9th in the NFL in offense.  9th.  Here he ranked 25th and 22nd.  I'm sorry, this is not the make or break either, and Marty has as much (or more) cause to complain about Geno as Geno does about Marty.

This is no "black and white" Fitz-got-all-the-talent, Geno-had-none that you keep trying to make it out to be.  Geno had a somewhat similar level of talent, on O, on D, and as coaches.  

Let me clear as I can, I've been wrong before, I will be wrong again, and as long as my being wrong means the Jets do BETTER, I will be HAPPY to be wrong wrong wrong.

If Geno Smith is indeed our starter, and he throws 32 TD's and only 12 INT's, and wins (on his back) 11 games, I will be the first to say I was wrong.  Done it before, will do it again.  I've backed wrong horses before, Patrick Ramsey being the most imfamous.  I've also been dead on right before, on Pennington post-injury, on Sanchez from day 1, and thus far on Geno Smith. 

One wonders tho, if you'd be so fair, or if it would once again be the endless litany of excuses, just need a fair chance, couldn't do it without X injury, bla blah blah we always get with the Sanchez's, Geno Smith's and others at QB.

Statistically, Fitz is the 2nd best single-season QB the Jets have ever had.  At that time he was on pace to be an easy #1.  Statistically, nothing more.  It's called math my friend, you don;t have to like it, but you don't get your own facts to deny it.  Which is the only point that was being made.

You wouldn't need to type so many words if you just cut down on the BS a little

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'm honestly not sure what that means.

Both petty and Hackenberg have very strong arms.  Even when they take a snap lol

Have you ever seen them throw a ball in the NFL, non exhibition, real game?  Ever?   Cant compare them to any NFL QB until then IMO.

My daughter has a strong arm.  Really.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

nice

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Have you ever seen them throw a ball in the NFL, non exhibition, real game?  Ever?   Cant compare them to any NFL QB until then IMO.

My daughter has a strong arm.  Really.

LOL

I suspect Macc has seen them throw.  Think your reaching here, 

On May 4, 2016 at 0:10 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

How was he when they only threw the ball 12 times his first game back or the next week when he only threw 13 passes the 2nd week back? Decker played 15 games for the Jets in 2014. Not sure the point you're trying to make there. He also had Kerley and Amaro and a decent group of running backs.

If Geno was good, there would be no reason to draft Hackenberg. Or Petty. Or trade for Fitz. Or bring in RGIII for an interview. Or Hoyer. Or try to trade up for Goff. Do you see a pattern or are you that ignorant?

How about after the Fins game? And Decker played half the year with an injured hammy. Kerley was his best weapon at times  while he rarely saw the field buried under depth chart with Fitz. And calling me ignorant is pretty poor of you. Pats have drafted several QBs in the past. They sure as hell weren't worried about Brady. RG3 wasn't about to take anyone's job from the IR. Same with Houer n we never moved up for Goff. It's called due diligence. Look it up. 

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno had Harvin for 5 games post benching. He joined mid season. Zero practice for the first game n threw 3 picks n then got benched till the last 5 games. Prior to that, Decker played with a hamstring injury n even missed a game. Hammys tend to linger but ok. So he really had Harvin n Decker for 5 games n I'd like you to watch those games (since you obviously didn't). The half season Decker played without Harvin, he was the only threat out there. Got doubled n our passing game went to the toilet. When he was the #2, he had a monster game along with Geno but I'm sure you already forgot that. An injured Marshall was still a beast catching dump balls n turning them into long gains. 

Geno's D has nothing to do with Fitz's D. However, you should compare the opposing Ds n see if you can name the 11 teams ranked 20th n below in D against Fitz last year. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

I'd like you to watch those games (since you obviously didn't).

I've missed exactly one Jets Game since the mid-1990's, thanks.  

If all the "no talent around him, Fitz had a ton of talent" argument has is the difference between 5 games with Harvin vs. 1 full year with Marshall, then lol.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

and it is all irrelevant.  the second fitz steps into the building he is the unquestioned starter.  geno will compete for 2nd string with petty and hack.  if fitz does not return, geno will start out TC as the starter but that does not guarantee he will be the opening day starter.  

Thats nice and its true given what happened last season and what Fitz did when the job was handed to him. I agree.

But we were talking about before the punch.  Fitz was told he was the back up when he came aboard.  That they were starting Geno at that time.  Nothing more.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I should have stopped right there.  If you think the talent level in 2015 is the same as what was on the field in 2014 and 2013 you need to check out of this debate.  You know this isnt true.  Percy Harvin = Marshall???  LOL, sure.  BTW, Marshall didnt appear to decline, he missed games for the first time in his career though.  And Harvin didnt play the half a season for Geno.  He played some of those games with Vick as the QB.  Ivory was younger?  And not as good.  Powell ran for less than 200 yard the year before.

Statistically the game is played different than it was in the past.  Which is why to hang on to what Fitz did, statistically, is nonsense.  Just as it to cherry pick statistics that he did well with.  As long as you ignore completion percentage, yards per, etc and put all your eggs in 31 TD basket.  He was a middle of the road QB in every other statistic.  

You're working so hard to come up with reasons to try and blame a 2nd year QB when comparing him to a 11 year Vet.   Why?  Fitz should be better.  You and all the others who defend him go out of your way to twist what Geno had his two seasons as a starter.  He had nothing around him, anyone who watched the games knows this.  nonsense like comparing a jag like Harvin to Marshall etc kind of makes the case that you and others just hate Geno

You know Fitz had much more to work with.  Without even starting on Bowles vs Rex and Chan vs MM as OCs

Marshall >>>>>>>> Decker as a #1 WR

And Decker >>>>>>>> Kerley as a #2 (and Kerley spent a good amount of time as Geno's #1 target!)

To say they both had Decker is disingenuous without taking Decker's health issues into account. Decker against team's #1 CB, or being double-teamed as the only real threat on the offense, is a far cry from Decker playing the slot and having Marshall absorb all the attention. And Harvin sucked, and only played four games with Geno at QB.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've missed exactly one Jets Game since the mid-1990's, thanks.  

If all the "no talent around him, Fitz had a ton of talent" argument has is the difference between 5 games with Harvin vs. 1 full year with Marshall, then lol.

You obviously don't understand the difference between QB n WR timing. The 20 years of football hasn't taught you much, sir. 

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you think the talent level in 2015 is the same as what was on the field in 2014 and 2013 you need to check out of this debate.  You know this isnt true.

Why, because you deny what is plainly in front of you?  Please.

Percy Harvin = Marshall???  LOL, sure.  

Did you not read, I gues syou didn't because I stated that as a material difference.

BTW, Marshall didnt appear to decline, he missed games for the first time in his career though.

He started and played in 13 games.  This is the second time he missed time, in 2010 he started and played in 14 games (1,000+ yards)

And Harvin didnt play the half a season for Geno.  He played some of those games with Vick as the QB.

Geno being benched for poor play doesn't change that Harvin started and played in 8 games.

Ivory was younger?  And not as good.

So he got better by being older, eh?  Or maybe because he was playing with a competent QB for a change.  

Powell ran for less than 200 yard the year before.

Funny how everyone, Ivory, Powell, Decker, and Marshall all had their best years of late with Fitz and Chan, eh?

He was a middle of the road QB in every other statistic.  

Agreed.  Middle of the Road is vast improvement over what Geno Smith was.  Let me remind you, he was the worst starting QB in the NFL over the two years he started.  

You're working so hard to come up with reasons to try and blame a 2nd year QB when comparing him to a 11 year Vet.   Why?

I don't need to blame him, his performance speaks for itself, and this is an obvious deflection.  It's rather clear that apart from Marshall, the "talent" around Geno was generally equivalent to the talent around Fitz.

You and all the others who defend him go out of your way to twist what Geno had his two seasons as a starter.

Says the guy bitching that Ivory (#1RB), Powell (#2 RB), Decker (#2 WR), Kerley (#3 WR), Amaro (#1 TE), Cumberland (#2 TE) and most of the O-line (Brock, Mangold, etc.)  under Geno was somehow much MUCH worse, not "talent" at all, but under Fitz they were awesome amazing talent that carried Fitz.

He had nothing around him, anyone who watched the games knows this.

He had 95% of what Fitz had, almost to a man, he just failed to do anything with it.  

Just now, Warfish said:

Why, because you deny what is plainly in front of you?  Please.

Did you not read, I gues syou didn't because I stated that as a material difference.

He started and played in 13 games.  This is the second time he missed time, in 2010 he started and played in 14 games (1,000+ yards)

Geno being benched for poor play doesn't change that Harvin started and played in 8 games.

So he got better by being older, eh?  Or maybe because he was playing with a competent QB for a change.  

Funny how everyone, Ivory, Powell, Decker, and Marshall all had their best years of late with Fitz and Chan, eh?

Agreed.  Middle of the Road is vast improvement over what Geno Smith was.  Let me remind you, he was the worst starting QB in the NFL over the two years he started.  

I don't need to blame him, his performance speaks for itself, and this is an obvious deflection.  It's rather clear that apart from Marshall, the "talent" around Geno was generally equivalent to the talent around Fitz.

Says the guy bitching that Ivory (#1RB), Powell (#2 RB), Decker (#2 WR), Kerley (#3 WR), Amaro (#1 TE), Cumberland (#2 TE) and most of the O-line (Brock, Mangold, etc.)  under Geno was somehow much MUCH worse, not "talent" at all, but under Fitz they were awesome amazing talent that carried Fitz.

He had 95% of what Fitz had, almost to a man, he just failed to do anything with it.  

Youre out there with this evaluation.  Sorry, no one anywhere will agree that Geno had 95% of what Fitz had.  If you believe that you dont know what a healthy Decker means and have no idea with Marshall brings to the table.  This morning NFLN was rating the top WR tandems in the NFL.  The Jets are number 2, close behind, Denver.  You think thats what Geno had.  

Funny how the running game benefited from the improvement to the passing game as a result of the WRs?  Really?  Football 101.  

Again, youre going way, way out of the way to denigrate, to try and take the benefit of the WRs awat from him, to make up nonsense about the talent around him to make him look worse.  You hate him and just cant friggen admit it.  Why?  Youre allowed to hate him, plenty do. 

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

How about after the Fins game? And Decker played half the year with an injured hammy. Kerley was his best weapon at times  while he rarely saw the field buried under depth chart with Fitz. And calling me ignorant is pretty poor of you. Pats have drafted several QBs in the past. They sure as hell weren't worried about Brady. RG3 wasn't about to take anyone's job from the IR. Same with Houer n we never moved up for Goff. It's called due diligence. Look it up. 

The Fins game that meant nothing to anyone? That after in the offseason the my traded for Fitz and drafted Petty? That one. Please. 

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Fins game that meant nothing to anyone? That after in the offseason the my traded for Fitz and drafted Petty? That one. Please. 

They had Geno as they only experienced qb. They traded a 7th round pick for Fitz to back up and or challenge him and drafted Petty for developmental purposes.  What is your point?

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

They had Geno as they only experienced qb. They traded a 7th round pick for Fitz to back up and or challenge him and drafted Petty for developmental purposes.  What is your point?

This management team has shown zero faith in Geno from day 1. What's your point?

27 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This management team has shown zero faith in Geno from day 1. What's your point?

This nothing to do with Geno and everything to do with our statement.  They drafted Petty to be a developmental qp and traded a 7th for Fitz (not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th a SEVENTH) to provide veteran leadership and compete with Geno to start or back up.  No need to make sh*t up regardless of how you feel about Geno. 

30 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is a bold face lie straight from the pit of hell.  Geno Smith was name the starting QB going into training camp and lost his job the day IK broke his jaw . Up until that point, he was the starting QB of this team and even the GM has stated how well he was progressing.

The HC told us that Geno would not get his Job back if the team was winning, and that is exactly what happened.

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

This nothing to do with Geno and everything to do with our statement.  They drafted Petty to be a developmental qp and traded a 7th for Fitz (not 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th a SEVENTH) to provide veteran leadership and compete with Geno to start or back up.  No need to make sh*t up regardless of how you feel about Geno. 

Ended up being a 6th, just FYI because Fitz played so well. When Fitz got injured, they rushed him back and didn't even give Geno a second glance. They drafted a QB in the 2nd round this year and have openly opined to get Fitz back. There is a pattern.

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This is a bold face lie straight from the pit of hell.  Geno Smith was name the starting QB going into training camp and lost his job the day IK broke his jaw . Up until that point, he was the starting QB of this team and even the GM has stated how well he was progressing.

The HC told us that Geno would not get his Job back if the team was winning, and that is exactly what happened.

Geno was the "starter" in name only because Fitz was still recovering from an injury. Geno was never going to start. And he never should for this team again. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ended up being a 6th, just FYI because Fitz played so well. When Fitz got injured, they rushed him back and didn't even give Geno a second glance. They drafted a QB in the 2nd round this year and have openly opined to get Fitz back. There is a pattern.

Geno was the "starter" in name only because Fitz was still recovering from an injury. Geno was never going to start. And he never should for this team again. 

Again, please stop making statements that are unproveable.   I could understand if you said, Fitz might have beat him out in preseason or maybe took over some time during season but to make a blanket statement like that really damages your credibility on the subject.  

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Again, please stop making statements that are unproveable.   I could understand if you said, Fitz might have beat him out in preseason or maybe took over some time during season but to make a blanket statement like that really damages your credibility on the subject.  

You can believe whatever you want, but the writing was on the wall. It still is. Is the GM not basically trying to get Fitz at every turn? Just look at the whole picture, not a few preseason irrelevant quotes. 

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're really ignoring a whole mess of digs I've taken against those "soft spot" Jets because it's not something that would annoy you. Also being honest about myself, lots of times I take an viewpoint contrary to the more prevalent one, or that's clearly hypocritical (excusing one but not the other), because it's simply more entertaining for me. I do have "Penis" as my user title, you know. And you don't see me in agreement with as many of those, "Yes I, too, agree with everybody" sentiments as often because (1) it's boring; and (2) there's little to add when everything's already been said and there's no controversy.

The GMs I was admittedly totally soft on initially were Tannenbaum's first season and Idzik's first season, because I felt those were kind of no-win situations and they did some things I agreed with. And because the loudest critics against were so obnoxiously repetitive it probably made me more sympathetic than I otherwise would have been. Further - like many with Bowles and Maccagnan now - there's the optimism any clean slate brings. When a GM pisses away draft picks and/or cap room unnecessarily, and see it hamper the team so soon afterward, I do call them all out on it. A lot of it stems from that angle, because I used to track that area pretty closely. So if Idzik gets a 1st rounder for Revis, instead of having him count nearly $20M on the Jets cap by tearing up his deal, I like it. When he kept whiffing on FAs (the ones whose wife wasn't dead set on moving to NYC) and then wasting millions and draft picks on Kerley & Harvin after the season was over, and then rambled incoherently for 20 minutes in a press conference, I didn't think so highly of him. When we pick up Fitz on a friendly deal, it's a no-brainer to like him; when there's talk of paying him 8-figures per season on a multi-year deal I think it's absurd. Or further, when easy circumstances are equated with difficult ones. Year 1 what could Idzik really do as a GM (other than draft well)? Year 1 after hoarding cap space and whiffing in the draft before him, anyone Macc picked up was hailed as great, when in reality his 1st year job was pretty easy in comparison.

A lot of it is because the league is generally so QB-driven, I see facepalm-worthy stuff when another GM uses up future resources to build a win-now team around an unready or unworthy QB. Now the other side of that is Maccagnan is clearly a superior scout of college talent than his 2 prior predecessors. But why do I need to reiterate that -- just to show I can restate the obvious that is already said or to look "even"? The only time I do that is when I get more emotional (negatively) about a player/coach/GM, even if it's been restated plenty (e.g. Sanchez sucks, just like you with Geno). But once they're off the team I don't usually jump into threads about them anymore. Whether it's Sanchez, Rex, Idzik, whoever. I'd have to be in a special mood to bother commenting about them now (like commenting about Sanchez a week or two ago was probably my first time getting into it about him in a couple of years, despite his name still coming up a lot).

It's all good my brother! Who am I to tell you who you should or shouldn't like. I'm not long for this place anyway, they prefer trolling Pats fans to logical Jets fans.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Meant nothing to the fans maybe. It meant everything to the players. Their future depended on it. We traded for Fitz n drafted Petty possibly because we didn't have a 2nd or 3rd QB on the roster but yeah, you're right. Petty will light the NFL on fire this year n Fitz will lead his team to a 19-0 record breaking every NFL record ever recorded by a QB. 

Please back at ya, Fitz!

First you guys thought it was impossible that Fitz wasn't resigned when FA opened.... now you think it's impossible that Geno ever starts again.

Maybe Macc isn't on board with JN's perspective

On May 6, 2016 at 1:34 AM, BowlesMovement said:

It's all good my brother! Who am I to tell you who you should or shouldn't like. I'm not long for this place anyway, they prefer trolling Pats fans to logical Jets fans.

PatsFanTX is what he is if you dont like him or his posts simply put him on ignore. 

I find him amusing and annoying. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, Jet Fan RI said:

From cbs sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25575786/jets-gm-excited-to-see-what-geno-can-do-if-hes-the-starting-qb

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one?" Well, the New York Jets have three quarterbacks, and they're hoping to have four. Do with that what you will.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason dancing around Ryan Fitzpatrick, each hoping the other side will blink in their standstill negotiations. Fitzpatrick put up far better numbers last season than he had over the rest of his career and reportedly wants to be paid in accordance with those numbers, while the Jets want to pay him like last season was an outlier for a joureyman QB that had never previously been more than a below-average starter. And so Fitz has sat on the open market while the Jets spent the offseason withGeno Smith and Bryce Petty as the only quarterbacks on the roster.

Then last week's draft came around, and the Jets added former Penn State passer Christian Hackenberg to the mix. They used their second-round pick on Hackenberg, something teams don't normally do unless that at least view the player as a potential starter. The last second-round pick the Jets spent on a quarterback was on Smith, who wound up starting during his first season as a result of an injury to Mark Sanchez.

Smith started for the team in 2013 and 2014, and entered last offseason as the probable starter yet again, but a punch to the jaw from IK Enemkpali thrust Fitzpatrick into the lineup. He never relinquished the spot, even after Smith returned to the field.

The Jets have spent the entire offseason expressin their wish to bring Fitzpatrick back into the fold, even while refusing to meet his contract demands. Everyone from the coach to the owner to several players has stated they want him back. Add that to the fact that the Jets have drafted a quarterback each of the last two years and it doesn't seem like the have all that much confidence in the idea of "Geno Smith, starting quarterback."

But general manager Mike Maccagnan went on The Michael Kay Show on Monday and stated that he's "excited" to see what Geno can do if he's the starter this season.

“Going forward, you always have contingency plans,” Maccagnan said, per Newsday. “In the NFL, it's kind of like playing chess. At some point in time, you get down to where you run out of moves. We're not at that stage yet.

“Right now, Geno has been a starter for us, and actually played quite well prior to getting hurt last year, and was doing a good job in the offseason. So we're kind of excited to see what Geno can do, coming back. And we feel good about that.”

Smith was the Jets' starter for 29 games across the 2013 and 2014 seasons -- we have a general idea of what he can do. He completed 57.5 percent of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt while throwing 25 touchdowns against 34 interceptions. New York went 11-18 in those games. That performance is likely what led the Jets to select a QB in the middle rounds of the 2015 draft, hoping to develop him into a potential starter. (The wisdom of that particular strategy notwithstanding.)

geno-starter.jpg
Geno Smith got a vote of confidence from his GM. (USATSI)

It also likely factored into the decision to take another QB in the second round just three years after selecting Smith there. So even if Maccagnan is publicly expressed confidence in his ability to be the starter, his actions tell another story. He's spent a bunch of his draft capital on quarterbacks during his two seasons as GM. That's not something you do if you're that confident in the ability of a 25-year old quarterback.

Then again, Maccagnan doesn't seem all that eager to have Hackenberg start right away, either. “With any player coming into the league, it is definitely a maturation process and it doesn't matter, again, what position you play,” Maccagnan said. “I think quarterback is probably one of the harder positions to transition into the NFL. I know there's always a desire to have them go out there and play right away. The reality is, though, that it's going to be determined by how he does.

“And I think, my personal opinion is, we'll see where he's at and how he is in terms of assimilating into our offense and our system . . . Some quarterbacks come in and play right away and some do well and some struggle and they go through growing pains.”

If Mac is excited about Geno Smith and what he can do this season, I'm excited about my prospects of screwing some nasty skank that gives me the clap. In other words, this entire article is 100% pure fluff horsesh*t.

Archived