Jets GM says he's 'excited to see' what Geno Smith can do if he's starting QB

Jet Fan RI

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Or we can give Fitz his 13th chance. Perfect sense!

Fitz has been stuck on garbage teams his entire career, comparable to this years San Diego Chargers...I would say 10-5 his first year with the Jets is something to build on, considering that teams with less than ten wins in a season have won Super Bowls.

5 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Fitz has been stuck on garbage teams his entire career, comparable to this years San Diego Chargers...I would say 10-5 his first year with the Jets is something to build on, considering that teams with less than ten wins in a season have won Super Bowls.

I haven't looked into roster talent but let's assume you're right. Last year's Jets were a pretty balanced team with a good mix of talent all around. He still failed to take us into the playoffs. To top it off, he had the leagues easiest schedule handed to him on a platter. My point is, he has peaked. We've seen the best of him he has to offer and it's not good enough to reach the playoffs with the leagues easiest schedule. I keep repeating that but it's a fact. There's no building on here. He's 33 years old. Don't want him. Glad we didn't cave in and we'll see exactly how much you can trust Maccs words over the next couple of months. 

18 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I haven't looked into roster talent but let's assume you're right. Last year's Jets were a pretty balanced team with a good mix of talent all around. He still failed to take us into the playoffs. To top it off, he had the leagues easiest schedule handed to him on a platter. My point is, he has peaked. We've seen the best of him he has to offer and it's not good enough to reach the playoffs with the leagues easiest schedule. I keep repeating that but it's a fact. There's no building on here. He's 33 years old. Don't want him. Glad we didn't cave in and we'll see exactly how much you can trust Maccs words over the next couple of months. 

QB's can maintain their level of play until they're 40.

We'd have made the playoffs had our current starting QB won the one game he played. Some chance...

It took an absurd run from Pittsburgh and Kansas City to keep us out. 10 wins gets you there 90% of the time. To do that in your first season with a good team is impressive and "good" team is a stretch. A team with good WR's and a half decent running game. The offensive line was dreadful.

The team will be better next year with Fitz.

Maybe MM is kind of excited because he's never seen a QB try to avoid a sack by putting the ball around his back and then fumbling it for the other team to recover for a TD up close and in person. I mean, that's worth the price of admission right there. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Maybe MM is kind of excited because he's never seen a QB try to avoid a sack by putting the ball around his back and then fumbling it for the other team to recover for a TD up close and in person. I mean, that's worth the price of admission right there. 

Give it a break. That was his 4th game in the NFL as a true rookie. Also, Sanchez got every 1st team rep in camp that year before our idiot coach played him in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. These are FACTS that Jet fans fail to comprehend.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Give it a break. That was his 4th game in the NFL as a true rookie. Also, Sanchez got every 1st team rep in camp that year before our idiot coach played him in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. These are FACTS that Jet fans fail to comprehend.

You're right. From there he only got worse and played dumber. Like the Raiders game just last season, where he took an unnecessary smack out of bounds and needed to be removed from the game for a play, with the already injured Fitz having to take a snap.

Also, Geno was the starter his second year and got all of the reps. He lost his job to Vick. And then got punched in the face and lost his job to Fitz. See a pattern?

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We'd have made the playoffs had our current starting QB won the one game he played. Some chance...

It took an absurd run from Pittsburgh and Kansas City to keep us out. 10 wins gets you there 90% of the time. To do that in your first season with a good team is impressive and "good" team is a stretch. A team with good WR's and a half decent running game. The offensive line was dreadful.

Wow. The only QBs that maintain their level of play into the 40s are those that were elite to begin with, not backups. And you're not pinning last season on Geno, are you? Even if you believe that one game was the reason Jets didn't make the playoffs, it was still not Geno's fault and if I need to explain why not, then I'm afraid you didn't watch the game. David Carr had a field day against our secondary combined with a big running game while we rushed for 28 yards on 18 carries. 

You're looking at win totals. I saw us beating all sh*t teams (except Pats). And we were a very balanced team last year. Best DL in the league, possibly the best WR duo, PB RB, average OL, and good secondary. That leaves the LBs where we were below avg n a non existent TE. A half decent QB would've slapped Buffalo around twice. 

How will the team be better this year with Fitz? To bring him on, we would have to either rid ourselves of that bust Mo if not more players. Yeah, that makes us a better team. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You're right. From there he only got worse and played dumber. Like the Raiders game just last season, where he took an unnecessary smack out of bounds and needed to be removed from the game for a play, with the already injured Fitz having to take a snap.

Also, Geno was the starter his second year and got all of the reps. He lost his job to Vick. And then got punched in the face and lost his job to Fitz. See a pattern?

Speaking of the Raiders game, wasn't that the game Fitz also took an unnecessary shot? Geno lost his job to Vick cuz Geno didn't have a WR to throw to. There's a reason he got the job back n that's because Vick didn't have a WR either.

How was Geno after the benching? You know, when he had Decker n Mr. Migraines (forgot his name but this works) for longer than a wk?

Can someone help me to understand how sooooo much time is being wasted arguing over two QB's of which NEITHER has any chance of being our long term QB?

The FO has made it crystal clear they don't view Fitz as a long term solution, they want him back, but on short term, borderline backup/starter terms.

Geno may not even be on the team this year, and even if he is, and even if he starts, there is literally no chance of him being signed after this year.

Let it go.......

39 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Can someone help me to understand how sooooo much time is being wasted arguing over two QB's of which NEITHER has any chance of being our long term QB?

The FO has made it crystal clear they don't view Fitz as a long term solution, they want him back, but on short term, borderline backup/starter terms.

Geno may not even be on the team this year, and even if he is, and even if he starts, there is literally no chance of him being signed after this year.

Let it go.......

And so ends this thread.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Speaking of the Raiders game, wasn't that the game Fitz also took an unnecessary shot? Geno lost his job to Vick cuz Geno didn't have a WR to throw to. There's a reason he got the job back n that's because Vick didn't have a WR either.

How was Geno after the benching? You know, when he had Decker n Mr. Migraines (forgot his name but this works) for longer than a wk?

How was he when they only threw the ball 12 times his first game back or the next week when he only threw 13 passes the 2nd week back? Decker played 15 games for the Jets in 2014. Not sure the point you're trying to make there. He also had Kerley and Amaro and a decent group of running backs.

If Geno was good, there would be no reason to draft Hackenberg. Or Petty. Or trade for Fitz. Or bring in RGIII for an interview. Or Hoyer. Or try to trade up for Goff. Do you see a pattern or are you that ignorant?

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Let it go.......

It's more about next season and beyond than this year. 

You're right, it's unlikely that either of these guys would be starting or even on the team in 2017. So the question is whether it's worth it to pay Fitz the insulting $7-8M, more a number more to his liking, for one year of service - while simultaneously either losing a potential comp pick for Geno, or cutting Bryce Petty prematurely. 

I get the win now mentality, but I honestly don't see this team going anywhere in the wintertime with Fitz at QB. So why bother? Save the money, hold onto Petty, get a comp pick for Geno in 2018, and move on. Hopefully Mac outsmarted everyone, and Hack is ready for prime time by the start of 2017. That's really what it all comes down to. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

You're right, it's unlikely that either of these guys would be starting or even on the team in 2017. So the question is whether it's worth it to pay Fitz the insulting $7-8M, more a number more to his liking, for one year of service - while simultaneously either losing a potential comp pick for Geno, or cutting Bryce Petty prematurely. 

I get the win now mentality, but I honestly don't see this team going anywhere in the wintertime with Fitz at QB. So why bother? Save the money, hold onto Petty, get a comp pick for Geno in 2018, and move on. Hopefully Mac outsmarted everyone, and Hack is ready for prime time by the start of 2017. That's really what it all comes down to. 

you think you're getting a comp pick for geno? no way.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you think you're getting a comp pick for geno? no way.

I get that people hate Geno, and let that hate get in the way of reality. QB is the premium position in the NFL, and Geno was a top prospect a short time ago, and has valuable starting experience. He absolutely will sign somewhere, for a lot more money than he's currently making, to be a backup/reclamation project. 

8 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

And let's not forget with a rookie HC, a new OC, in fact a new CS across the board.  The D also had it's (bad) moments with some unexpectedly poor play in spots from the secondary, Richardson out four games, and on O no TE and no steady option at 3rd wideout.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I get that people hate Geno, and let that hate get in the way of reality. QB is the premium position in the NFL, and Geno was a top prospect a short time ago, and has valuable starting experience. He absolutely will sign somewhere, for a lot more money than he's currently making, to be a backup/reclamation project. 

you are delerious.  do you realize how many qbs have been drafted since geno.  he has little value in the nfl.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

you are delerious.  do you realize how many qbs have been drafted since geno.  he has little value in the nfl.

Get back to me next year and let me know. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'd like to see Fitz back for this year, the team is caught in no mans land in terms of we are not good enough to win it all this year, and we have an aging team. BUT, that is what happens when you have years of horrible drafting as we did for Tannenbaum/Rex's last few years and Idzik/Rex's 2 years. Its clear the Jets are not going to pay him what he wants, so if they can get him for their number, great, lets see what he can do this year, if not, fine, move on. 

It seems a lot of people want to argue that Geno should start because he is younger, and never had a chance, and they are using money as the differentiator. The reality is if the Jets get Fitz on their deal, the money should not really matter very much at all. Geno has no more of a future on this team than Fitz, and probably less. Even if he is decent, he is not going to get signed here, and he has never shown any ability to be decent. The 8-8 his rookie year was not anything close to decent QB play. I think he is capable of decent QB play, but I think Fitz is better, but at the end of the day, none of this really matters much, because neither guy is our future.

11 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I'd like to see Fitz back for this year, the team is caught in no mans land in terms of we are not good enough to win it all this year, and we have an aging team. BUT, that is what happens when you have years of horrible drafting as we did for Tannenbaum/Rex's last few years and Idzik/Rex's 2 years. Its clear the Jets are not going to pay him what he wants, so if they can get him for their number, great, lets see what he can do this year, if not, fine, move on. 

It seems a lot of people want to argue that Geno should start because he is younger, and never had a chance, and they are using money as the differentiator. The reality is if the Jets get Fitz on their deal, the money should not really matter very much at all. Geno has no more of a future on this team than Fitz, and probably less. Even if he is decent, he is not going to get signed here, and he has never shown any ability to be decent. The 8-8 his rookie year was not anything close to decent QB play. I think he is capable of decent QB play, but I think Fitz is better, but at the end of the day, none of this really matters much, because neither guy is our future.

I'm not. I don't particularly like Geno. At all. But I also don't think Fitz is worth $7-8M (or more) plus a comp in 2018. Don't think this team is competing for a super bowl with either man under center, and actually believe they'd be better off with Geno come winter weather than Fitz. 

I'd save that money, and hope Geno can get the Gailey bump that he provided for Kordell, Thigpen and Fitzpatrick himself. And I think that would be a reasonable expectation. Not that Geno would be great, but maybe he'd be a middle of the road or less starter. With Gailey, Marshall, Decker, Forte, Devin Smith (who's completely useless with Fitz), I believe that's a reasonable expectation. And then the Jets can let him walk, and hopefully get a decent pick in 2018 for him. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I'm not. I don't particularly like Geno. At all. But I also don't think Fitz is worth $7-8M (or more) plus a comp in 2018. Don't think this team is competing for a super bowl with either man under center, and actually believe they'd be better off with Geno come winter weather than Fitz. 

I'd save that money, and hope Geno can get the Gailey bump that he provided for Kordell, Thigpen and Fitzpatrick himself. And I think that would be a reasonable expectation. Not that Geno would be great, but maybe he'd be a middle of the road or less starter. With Gailey, Marshall, Decker, Forte, Devin Smith (who's completely useless with Fitz), I believe that's a reasonable expectation. And then the Jets can let him walk, and hopefully get a decent pick in 2018 for him. 

I just think the fact that the Jets had Fitzpatrick play a week after his surgery instead of putting in Geno said a lot about what they think of him. If there was ever a time to put him in, it was then, and they didn't. I know everyone wants to poo poo his apparent lack of leadership skills because they are not a fantasy football stat, I think there is a there, there.

I was ready to see what Geno could do last season with Marshall. Hope he looks better than he did when he came in to play for Fitz when he got injured hope he was just rusty. I think he will look better than most are expecting especially if he can hit Devin Smith down the field.

This is an old mentality that fans glom onto. The notion that you can't invest in the QB position beyond one guy at a time, for fear of things being too in flux, is absurd. I am increasingly convinced that the only people that struggle with this are fans that can't focus on more than one thing at a time.

It's not that you can't, it's that you don't. Teams with elite starters don't invest Day 1-2 picks on QBs. When was the last time you saw NE draft a qb in the first three rounds?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

It's not that you can't, it's that you don't. Teams with elite starters don't invest Day 1-2 picks on QBs. When was the last time you saw NE draft a qb in the first three rounds?

Jimmy Garoppolo  Round 2 2014

Jimmy Garoppolo  Round 2 2014

Nothing more recent?

Also, ok, but when was the last time before Garoppalo? Once is an outlier. If they were picking QBs in the 2d or 3rd round like every other year (say 3 times in the last 6 drafts) you'd have an argument.

20 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Dude the Pats took Garoppolo in the 2nd round literally 2 years ago...

8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Nothing more recent?

Also, ok, but when was the last time before Garoppalo? Once is an outlier. If they were picking QBs in the 2d or 3rd round like every other year (say 3 times in the last 6 drafts) you'd have an argument.

More recent than two years ago? No.

Ryan Mallet  Round 3 2011

Kevin O'Connell Round 3 2008

How about 3 in  7 drafts? 2008-2014

46 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

More recent than two years ago? No.

Ryan Mallet  Round 3 2011

Kevin O'Connell Round 3 2008

How about 3 in  7 drafts? 2008-2014

Wrong. 

Jacoby Brisset. Third round, this year.

Is like to introduce you to my friend, "sarcasm"

11 hours ago, slats said:

That's great news! Bye Geno.

11 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The Patriots drafted Jimmy G with 62nd overall pick. You're wrong.

The league is changing.

19 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

To be fair, I  heard that about Sanchez and he found 2 teams to take him in. There are a ton of REALLY bad QBs in the NFL. Guys like Sanchez/Geno may be bad, but they aren't the worst. Geno will find another job after his time with the Jets. 

26 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Patriots drafted Jimmy G with 62nd overall pick. You're wrong.

The league is changing.

Goddamn, you too?  I thought the sarcasm would be obvious.  They didn't just take Garoppolo - they took Jacoby Brisset in the 3rd this year, Mallet in the 3rd in 2011, O'Connel in the 3rd in 2008, etc.

Archived