Jets Need to Move from Fitz - Decker

JetBlue

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/eric-decker-jets-move-ryan-fitzpatrick-article-1.2640389

Eric Decker: Jets need to ‘move on’ as if Ryan Fitzpatrick is not coming back

Eric Decker has made it clear he wants Ryan Fitzpatrick back in green and white, but at the moment, with Fitzpatrick not on the team, the wideout says the players have to “move on.”

“All I can say is we have to move on without him, right now,” Decker said on SiriusXM Radio Tuesday as part of the NFL’s broadcast bootcamp. “Because they are stuck where they are with the business decision, where they want to go with the money, who’s going to break. But again we have a job to do and that’s to be the best football team, field the best football team, of who we have in the locker room right now.”

While most Jets players are involved in the early stages of the offseason workout program, Fitzpatrick is a free agent after months of failed negotiations to reach an agreement with the Jets. The journeyman QB threw 31 touchdown passes last season, a franchise record, and is well-liked by fellow players in the Jets locker room.

Which is why Decker reiterated yet again on Tuesday that he very much wants Fitzpatrick back with the Jets.

“I have a lot of respect for Ryan Fitzpatrick,” Decker said. “I know he’s been with a lot of teams over his career, but we found the formula last year that worked for us. And we don’t have a lot of years left offensively. I think Brandon (Marshall’s) older, I’m getting older, we’ve got (Matt) Forte now, he’s getting older. We have the pieces right now to win.”

Fitzpatrick had the Jets on the verge of a playoff berth before Gang Green blew it against Rex Ryan and the Bills in Week 17.

“We have the pieces right now to win. I just think we need to plug him in, we need to move forward,” Decker said. “Again, the organization has to make the best decision for them long term, but as players, we know what’s going to give us success and that’s why we want him back.”

The Jets have indicated that they also would like to re-sign Fitzpatrick (but at their price) and want him in the building by training camp. 

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think at this point I just want Fitz to sign with someone else so we can be done with this f'ng story already.

Kimberly Martin wrote an article today wherein she said that Hackenberg's "draft position" should give the Jets optimism about his chances. At the very least, the monotony of the Fitz updates shields us from the outright stupidity of unending Jets beat writer Hackenberg narratives.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Boy, the selective reading comprehension on this board is mind boggling. News articles aren't DaDa poetry where you can pick and choose what you want to think you're making a point. 

Anyone who pays attention to the team is aware of Deckers comments a few days ago in which he said Fitz is the best guy for this team right now.

His comment about moving on if Fitz leaves, which is what every NFL should do in that situation, was bound to be cherry-picked.

I do find it strange that Macc n Bowles haven't issued a gag-order on the subject.

They must be trying to get some PR point out.  Just not sure what it is.

Get Fitz to cave?

Get fans prepared for life w/o the beard?

48 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Anyone who pays attention to the team is aware of Deckers comments a few days ago in which he said Fitz is the best guy for this team right now.

His comment about moving on if Fitz leaves, which is what every NFL should do in that situation, was bound to be cherry-picked.

No doubt his words don't make him seem happy about it. Reading into his comments more, I think one of his bigger concerns isn't even Geno necessarily, but rather that the team will use this season as a tryout for someone who won't make the team a contender right now. I disagree with him that Fitz makes them a contender, but that's all just different peoples' opinions. I think what he sees is the following writing on the wall in Fitz's absence: start Geno through those first half dozen games (give or take) and then - with the season in the crapper - hand the reigns over to Hackenberg or Petty.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think at this point I just want Fitz to sign with someone else so we can be done with this f'ng story already.

The time for him to sign elsewhere and it be a good thing already passed on May 12.  I would have supported this sentiment then when we would have gotten some compensatory "credit" out of the deal. 

Decker also thinks he'll be back.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60437/jets-eric-decker-predicts-ryan-fitzpatricks-return-in-july

By now, you should know how the New York Jets feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick. The general manager wants him back, the coach wants him back and the players (those who have spoken publicly) want him back, too. Many have expressed cautious optimism. On Tuesday night, Eric Decker took it a step further.

Decker, a close friend of the quarterback, said he expects Fitzpatrick to be under center when the Jets open the season Sept. 11 against the Cincinnati Bengals. But he thinks the contract stalemate could last another couple of months.

"I believe it's Fitzpatrick," Decker said in an interview on the NFL Network, when asked to predict the Jets' opening-day starter. "Right now, it's a business and they're so far off in dollar amount, but Ryan wants to be back, they want Ryan back. Something is going to happen. It might be before training camp, the day or two before, but I believe that he'll be back on the team come this fall."

The Jets haven't presented Fitzpatrick with a hard deadline (we think), but they've dropped strong hints about wanting to have a resolution by the start of training camp in late July. They begin off-season practices next Wednesday, which run for four weeks, but the Jets have said it's not imperative that Fitzpatrick be a participant. He knows Chan Gailey's offense, and he proved last season he could succeed without much practice in the offseason. He was limited last spring due to a surgically repaired broken leg.

Decker's training-camp hunch might turn out to be correct. The NFL is a deadline-oriented industry, as many deals don't get done until the 11th hour. Fitzpatrick has only one suitor -- the Jets -- and that probably won't change unless a team suffers an injury over the next few weeks. It means the staring contest could last another two months.

Earlier Tuesday, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Decker took a pragmatic approach on the matter.

"All I can say is we have to move on without him right now because they are stuck where they are with the business decision, where they want to go with the money, who's going to break," said Decker, speaking from the NFL broadcasting bootcamp at NFL Films in New Jersey. "But, again, we have a job to do and that's to be the best football team, field the best football team, of who we have in the locker room right now."

I get what the Jets are doing.  They're going to suck something awful, so the season isnt going to be compelling in the slightest.  So lets create some good offseason drama by playing a game of draw a line in the sand with our recording breaking QB so the fans have something to talk about. 

YAY!!!!

If the LBs we drafted come out ready as starters and we have good QB play then Decker might be right that we're ready to win right now. Unfortunately I don't think any of the QBs on the roster are ready for the playoffs and with this schedule I don't know that Fitz gets us over the hump if Macc is willing to pay out the cash to bring him back. That's the most compelling reason not to bring back Fitz at his asking price. We would be better off conserving the cash, developing QBs and trying to make the team otherwise competitive so we break the image as a broken team so good players will want to play here without asking for a premium. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Decker also thinks he'll be back.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60437/jets-eric-decker-predicts-ryan-fitzpatricks-return-in-july

By now, you should know how the New York Jets feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick. The general manager wants him back, the coach wants him back and the players (those who have spoken publicly) want him back, too. Many have expressed cautious optimism. On Tuesday night, Eric Decker took it a step further.

Decker, a close friend of the quarterback, said he expects Fitzpatrick to be under center when the Jets open the season Sept. 11 against the Cincinnati Bengals. But he thinks the contract stalemate could last another couple of months.

"I believe it's Fitzpatrick," Decker said in an interview on the NFL Network, when asked to predict the Jets' opening-day starter. "Right now, it's a business and they're so far off in dollar amount, but Ryan wants to be back, they want Ryan back. Something is going to happen. It might be before training camp, the day or two before, but I believe that he'll be back on the team come this fall."

The Jets haven't presented Fitzpatrick with a hard deadline (we think), but they've dropped strong hints about wanting to have a resolution by the start of training camp in late July. They begin off-season practices next Wednesday, which run for four weeks, but the Jets have said it's not imperative that Fitzpatrick be a participant. He knows Chan Gailey's offense, and he proved last season he could succeed without much practice in the offseason. He was limited last spring due to a surgically repaired broken leg.

Decker's training-camp hunch might turn out to be correct. The NFL is a deadline-oriented industry, as many deals don't get done until the 11th hour. Fitzpatrick has only one suitor -- the Jets -- and that probably won't change unless a team suffers an injury over the next few weeks. It means the staring contest could last another two months.

Earlier Tuesday, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Decker took a pragmatic approach on the matter.

"All I can say is we have to move on without him right now because they are stuck where they are with the business decision, where they want to go with the money, who's going to break," said Decker, speaking from the NFL broadcasting bootcamp at NFL Films in New Jersey. "But, again, we have a job to do and that's to be the best football team, field the best football team, of who we have in the locker room right now."

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I do find it strange that Macc n Bowles haven't issued a gag-order on the subject.

They must be trying to get some PR point out.  Just not sure what it is.

Get Fitz to cave?

Get fans prepared for life w/o the beard?

This is one of the concerns I have with Bowles/Mac.  The players seem to talk an awful lot to the media about things they shouldn't be...There doesn't seem to be much respect in that regard.

I can't imagine Mac wants multiple players publicly and often expressing their desire to have Fitz back while they're in the middle of a contract negotiation.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt his words don't make him seem happy about it. Reading into his comments more, I think one of his bigger concerns isn't even Geno necessarily, but rather that the team will use this season as a tryout for someone who won't make the team a contender right now. I disagree with him that Fitz makes them a contender, but that's all just different peoples' opinions. I think what he sees is the following writing on the wall in Fitz's absence: start Geno through those first half dozen games (give or take) and then - with the season in the crapper - hand the reigns over to Hackenberg or Petty.

I could agree with that.  But, what if Geno brings us through that rough 6 game stretch to open the season and we're 3-3?

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is one of the concerns I have with Bowles/Mac.  The players seem to talk an awful lot to the media about things they shouldn't be...There doesn't seem to be much respect in that regard.

I can't imagine Mac wants multiple players publicly and often expressing their desire to have Fitz back while they're in the middle of a contract negotiation.  

Yup.  For the most part I can't knock either of them for much.  Other than potentially spending big on Fitz now and not putting Geno in at some point last season, they've been great.

So either they actually want guys out there talking for whatever PR reason, or this is just one area where they're lacking leadership.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Boy, the selective reading comprehension on this board is mind boggling. News articles aren't DaDa poetry where you can pick and choose what you want to think you're making a point. 

Didn't he also just predict that Fitz would be signed by July? 

Blah, blah, blah, same old sh*t with this team regarding the media. Can anyone that plays for this organization ever just say..no comment? I don't think Bowles or Macc give 2 sh*ts what any of these players think or want regarding the roster, who plays, who sits, who they sign, I think Bowles has already commented on that publicly. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kimberly Martin wrote an article today wherein she said that Hackenberg's "draft position" should give the Jets optimism about his chances. At the very least, the monotony of the Fitz updates shields us from the outright stupidity of unending Jets beat writer Hackenberg narratives.

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Fitzpatrick is playing a dangerous game if he thinks he can just show up in July and
take the starting QB spot.  He's not Rodgers, Luck, Brees or Manning in his prime, he
had one good year with a horrible finish.  On top of that Smith is more physically
talented than Fitzpatrick, if he's grown mentally whose to say Bowles doesn't give
him the starting spot back.  Here's some numbers for you, Smith's completion % in his
last year starting was slightly better than Fitzpatrick's (59.7 vs. 59.6).  And Smith's
supporting cast wasn't as good as Fitzpatrick's:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15864/geno-smith

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Fitzpatrick is playing a dangerous game if he thinks he can just show up in July and
take the starting QB spot
.  He's not Rodgers, Luck, Brees or Manning in his prime, he
had one good year with a horrible finish.  On top of that Smith is more physically
talented than Fitzpatrick, if he's grown mentally whose to say Bowles doesn't give
him the starting spot back.  Here's some numbers for you, Smith's completion % in his
last year starting was slightly better than Fitzpatrick's (59.7 vs. 59.6).  And Smith's
supporting cast wasn't as good as Fitzpatrick's:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15864/geno-smith

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8664/ryan-fitzpatrick

I think he does believe that and I think the Jets are going to let him get away with it.

The Jets have gone so far out of their way to let Fitz know that he's their starting QB whenever he comes in.   

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think he does believe that and I think the Jets are going to let him get away with it.

The Jets have gone so far out of their way to let Fitz know that he's their starting QB whenever he comes in.   

I think there will be a competition with Fitz in the lead of course.  If Smith outplays him in camp and preseason, it will put pressure on Bowles, who mantra has been the best player plays.  I still think Fitz would win out but Bowles might feel a little more comfortable replacing him if struggles or he gets injured.  That is why they can not over pay him because I don't what that to be the excuse for trotting him out there week after week if he really struggles.   

I wonder if the more important date is when Mo needs to sign his tender in mid-July.  Two different view points:

1) If Fitz isn't going to be here, do they have enough confidence with anyone on the team (this year - so maybe next year Petty and/or Hack will be ready) to make a real run? For example, if Hack is going to start, how many games do we win? Or Geno? if the number is in the 6-8 range (or worse), maybe you take back the Tag; after all, if you don't think you will be signing him long term, why not save the 15.7 and get the conditional pick a year earlier - if you don't think you will be competative. Let's not only see what the QBs can do, but the defense without Mo? - again this assumes that are not that confident with the QBs (or their experience) and you don't think you can sign Mo long term.  If the team collapses with the other QB (hopefully because Hack or Petty is getting experience instead of failing because Geno doesn't improve - hopefully as in we get something out of the year), we at least should be in a position to draft high (maybe another QB) next year. In the meantime, get more cap for next year, or get some long term FA.

2) If Mo signs his tender, can you afford to sign Fitz;? I don't put much confidence with this, but if as many have said that they would need to rescind the tag to sign Fitz, once Mo signs, it cannot be rescinded.

I personally don't think we need to let Mo walk to sign Fitz and OTAs are all that important and that Fitz can probably walk into TC, but at some point you need to cut bait.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's more than just different people's opinion.  That is a different opinion of a faction of fans and of someone who has worked with most of the QBs on our squad intimately.  There may be a degree of favoritism on deckers part due to friendship but I do trust his opinion and especially when he talks about 3 of the expected major contributors on offense's windows closing on their collective careers.  

On that last point, you can I can have just a difference of opinion ;)

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

I could agree with that.  But, what if Geno brings us through that rough 6 game stretch to open the season and we're 3-3?

Well, that would be better then. I'm just saying Decker's comments sound less supportive, and sound more like someone boasting of his/their toughness; weathering through the adversity of (what he feels is) a bad situation. It's a tough sell to read it differently. 

That said, I'm ok with him winning the job. I'm ok with Hackenberg winning the job. I'm ok with Petty winning the job. I'm ok with anyone winning the job, so long as it is won and isn't being handed and then wink-wink it's announced he "won" the job. I'm ok with Fitzpatrick coming back on a low-guarantee contract he probably wouldn't sign (because I want him replaced asap and that doesn't happen if he's on a bigger contract, unless he gets hurt). What I'm not ok with is handing the job to anyone.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, that would be better then. I'm just saying Decker's comments sound less supportive, and sound more like someone boasting of his/their toughness; weathering through the adversity of (what he feels is) a bad situation. It's a tough sell to read it differently. 

That said, I'm ok with him winning the job. I'm ok with Hackenberg winning the job. I'm ok with Petty winning the job. I'm ok with anyone winning the job, so long as it is won and isn't being handed and then wink-wink it's announced he "won" the job. I'm ok with Fitzpatrick coming back on a low-guarantee contract he probably wouldn't sign (because I want him replaced asap and that doesn't happen if he's on a bigger contract, unless he gets hurt). What I'm not ok with is handing the job to anyone.

Agreed on all points.

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

That's more than just different people's opinion.  That is a different opinion of a faction of fans and of someone who has worked with most of the QBs on our squad intimately.  There may be a degree of favoritism on deckers part due to friendship but I do trust his opinion and especially when he talks about 3 of the expected major contributors on offense's windows closing on their collective careers.  

On that last point, you can I can have just a difference of opinion ;)

I can have a difference of opinion with a player as well. Whether Decker agrees or not, I don't think the Jets are SB contenders with Fitzpatrick anyway. Further, I am not at all unhappy using this veteran roster to help ease in a younger QB who might have a good future. Decker, understandably, would like that less. If they were to put Petty out there, for example, he probably doesn't figure to get targeted 10x/game again this year (from his veteran buddy, no less). 

I think in addition to the obvious improvements in the season results from 2014 to 2015, there's a certain confidence he (and others) would have with a veteran QB, as opposed to a no/low-results 4th yr QB who douchebagged his way out of a job, or two other QBs who don't have 1 NFL snap between them. 

Jets' Geno Smith starting? 'Would be exciting' if he got chance, says Eric Decker

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEW YORK — If the Jets don't re-sign free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, might Geno Smith get another shot at starting in 2016? 

Wide receiver Eric Decker believes Smith is prepared for the opportunity. 

"To see him in game-type situations would be exciting, because I feel like his confidence is back," Decker said. "He has developed a skill set. I think [from] being with Ryan, he learned to study the game a lot better. So I've got confidence in him. I just hope that he keeps pushing himself to learn the game mentally." 

Decker spoke to NJ Advance Media on Wednesday night at a charity event in SoHo that honored and displayed artwork done by homeless and disabled people. The event was hosted by Leesa, an online mattress company, and AirLifting, an online art marketplace for homeless, disabled, and disadvantaged artists.

Smith started in 2013 and 2014, before being replaced by Fitzpatrick in 2015, after then-teammate IK Enemkpali punched Smith in the face and broke his jaw during training camp. Smith played in one game as a backup in 2015. His career numbers: 27 touchdowns, 35 interceptions, and a 72.3 quarterback rating. 

Would he be any better as a fourth-year pro in 2016? 

"I got a lot of work [with Smith] that first year and even in the offseason [last year]," Decker said. "He was developing. He was making strides." 

Right now, as the Jets' prepare for Thursday's start of the NFL Draft, Smith is the top quarterback in their building, during voluntary offseason workouts. 

"I think his mindset is he's got to bring everything to the table," Decker said. "He's got an opportunity right now, and he's got to make the most of it. So for him, I think the big thing is getting himself in shape, and also the cerebral part.

"We're watching tape besides working out, and that's where you can, as quarterback, just totally grow as an individual, learning the system, learning defenses, understanding when to throw on certain routes. I think those things for him, being a younger guy, are very important." 

The Jets began workouts last Monday, so how soon would Decker like to have a starting quarterback in place? 

"The sooner the better," he said. "Right now, we're watching tape and we're self-scouting ourselves, and kind of going over the system. The more times we can just talk football and be around one another, I think the further you are when you get to training camp, and that's so important to build a championship team.

"We were just learning each other and learning a new playbook in training camp [last year], and it kind of came together toward the end of the year. But now that we have this timeframe of the offseason, to get after it in the film room, and then once we get the opportunity to be on the field, just to get that timing down is irreplaceable."

Archived