Ever since the team "leaked" the contract offer I was expecting this and
here it is:

Bowles on the Fitzpatrick negotiations: "There is a ticking clock. You have
time until you don't have time."

Fitzpatrick better realize he's urinating away a huge opportunity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.  Fitz is hanging out relaxing and looking for big money, while Geno is practicing with the team and even working with some of the NFL's best WRs when free.

The writing is on the wall.  Has been for months now.  It's Geno time!  :thumbup:

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

Ever since the team "leaked" the contract offer I was expecting this and
here it is:

Bowles on the Fitzpatrick negotiations: "There is a ticking clock. You have
time until you don't have time."

Fitzpatrick better realize he's urinating away a huge opportunity

Fitz is pushing his luck UNLESS Geno bombs in which case the jets will be begging fitz to sign.  It's a dangerous game of chicken for both sides.  I'm holding out hope that Geno,  with the talent this team has on offense,  can duplicate what fitz did last year. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fitz is pushing his luck UNLESS Geno bombs in which case the jets will be begging fitz to sign.  It's a dangerous game of chicken for both sides.  I'm holding out hope that Geno,  with the talent this team has on offense,  can duplicate what fitz did last year. 

Would be cool, but not good enough.  Duplicating Fitz's performance this year would probably have us finishing with 6 or 7 wins.  Much tougher road this season.

Besides I don't think Geno would choke with the playoffs on the line.

11 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Certainly Geno is not throwing to Clyde Gates anymore. I for one am a Jets fan regardless of the positional players.

We have endured some terrible seasons as fans. 4-12 scarred me for life. It was the first time I decided to skip out on 90% of the Jet games. I'm so emotionally invested in this team it wasn't worth being pissed off at the world all day because we got blown out. Fan to the day we die.

Reading some interesting tweets from some of the beat guys covering mini-camp.  The older vets who know how to play the media are expressing all the love for Fitz while the younger guys who are keeping their heads down are ready to roll with Geno.  It's definitely not a unanimous Fitz love affair in the locker room and I'm actually encouraged that Geno is showing some signs of leadership with the younger guys...

It doesn't mean much more than the obvious:

Todd Bowles says Jets will turn to Geno Smith if Ryan Fitzpatrick impasse lingers

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The New York Jets have been saying for months that free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick will return to his old job as starting quarterback if he re-signs.

But that gig comes with an expiration date, according to Jets coach Todd Bowles, who indicated Wednesday he'll turn to Geno Smith if Fitzpatrick's contract impasse isn't resolved by a certain time.

Bowles didn't say when, but he hinted it wouldn't be until the preseason.

"There comes a point, but we're not at that point yet," he said at the team's mandatory minicamp. "If it's Week 4 in training camp and he's not here, you know who your starter is going to be Week 1."

"It's to the extreme, but there's a ticking clock," he added. "You have time until you don't have time."

Bowles' comments came one day after he said there's "no drop-dead deadline" to sign Fitzpatrick, but there apparently is a soft deadline with regard to his potential role. As with any negotiation, there's probably posturing involved, as well.

The Jets have been praising Smith for his performance in the offseason, yet it's telling that they've kept the job open for Fitzpatrick, to whom they offered a three-year, $24 million contract.

"I've said all along Ryan is the starter," Bowles said. "Obviously, if Geno plays well and Ryan plays well, Ryan is going to be the starter. If Ryan gets hurt or Ryan doesn't show and Geno gets in like Ryan did last year and goes 4-1, things happen."

Smith went into training camp last year as the presumptive starter, with Fitzpatrick backing him up. But Smith got punched in the face by a teammate and suffered a broken jaw, creating an opportunity for Fitzpatrick, who led the team to a 4-1 start and never relinquished the job.

If the Jets don't re-sign Fitzpatrick, they will consider adding a veteran backup, Bowles said. Right now, the backups are Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg. Petty is getting second-team reps in practice, but he has no regular-season experience.

Former Jets great Joe Namath offered his take on the quarterback controversy, predicting that Smith would be the Week 1 starter.

"I think Geno is going to be the starting quarterback, no matter if Fitzpatrick comes back or not," Namath told a crowded luncheon on Tuesday in Manhattan.

Bowles laughed when told of Namath's bold prediction.

"Joe Namath has earned the right to say whatever he wants," the coach said. "He's a Super Bowl quarterback."

Asked if Namath will be proved right, Bowles said, "You have to ask Joe that."

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

To me, the tea leaves are basically saying Fitzpatrick can show up to the Meadowlands Week 1 five minutes before kickoff still drunk and would still be named starter.

Pretty much.  Even as a guy who prefers Fitz, I can't believe how incredibly patient the Jets are being with this whole thing.  He's not even under contract, but he's still: 

- Considered as the starter as soon as he returns

- Has his locker kept vacant for his return

- Just got a public endorsement from Revis

- A public comment from the HC that there is no deadline on a deal.   They're willing to continue waiting.

Crazy.

Just now, AFJF said:

Pretty much.  Even as a guy who prefers Fitz, I can't believe how incredibly patient the Jets are being with this whole thing.  He's not even under contract, but he's still: 

- A public comment from the HC that there is no deadline on a deal.   They're willing to continue waiting.

Crazy.

And then as fans we wonder why its been 47 years...................

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Would be cool, but not good enough.  Duplicating Fitz's performance this year would probably have us finishing with 6 or 7 wins.  Much tougher road this season.

Besides I don't think Geno would choke with the playoffs on the line.

Hahahahahahahahah ... What a little s*$$y answer!

2016 is soo much of a harder schedule Brother Bluto !!! .... Equaling the best numbers ever by a NYJ QB is going to knock us from 10 wins down to only 6 or 7 .

Geno has choked way before playoffs are a sniff in his daddy's jockstrap since the green-room of the NFL draft ... All the way to 6 minutes left & then again with 4 minutes left vs the raiders last year ... He has done nothing but choke it his entire NFL career

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Crazy.

Goes to show you what they really think if Geno.   No matter what posters here will scream from the rafters. 

I just wish the Jets would offer Fitz a contract like what Revis signed with the pats and get it over with.  If Fitz won't sign that deal then see ya.   

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Crazy.

Good post.  But I personally hate that they've announced that they're holding the starting job for Fitz.  Why are they doing this? It certainly can't help them with the negotiations. Perhaps it's a motivational ploy to keep Geno on edge?       

44 minutes ago, ljr said:

Hahahahahahahahah ... What a little s*$$y answer!

2016 is soo much of a harder schedule Brother Bluto !!! .... Equaling the best numbers ever by a NYJ QB is going to knock us from 10 wins down to only 6 or 7 .

Geno has choked way before playoffs are a sniff in his daddy's jockstrap since the green-room of the NFL draft ... All the way to 6 minutes left & then again with 4 minutes left vs the raiders last year ... He has done nothing but choke it his entire NFL career

image.jpeg

A sissy answer?  Because pointing out a mediocre performance which came up short of the playoffs in a horrible ending, is not good enough this upcoming year considering we don't have one of the easiest schedules possible?

That's not only "sissy" thinking but also just lame/defeatist.  Phuck that $hit.  It's not good enough.  Are you one of those who thinks giving kids participation trophies is a good idea?  You can pat Fitzy on the back all ya want.  I choose to boot his @ss out the door if he wants over quality backup pay.

They have to get better and Fitz is maxed out.  Move on and don't be the idiots spending big for failure.

Edit:  you may have meant $hitty instead of sissy.  But point is the same.

Looking for any clue on how to decipher this mess.  Noticed a FB post from the Jets today saying how Geno is light years better than at this point last year.  Wonder if they're so concerned with fan opinion that they're testing the waters now.

If so, looking good for Geno.  Most of the responses were pro-Geno and saying to let Fitz go.

If these are my two options:

A: Battling for a wildcard with Fitz. Push $10+ million onto the the 2017 cap

B: Hope for .500 with Geno, maybe see Petty or Hack, no future cap ramifications.

Sadly, I'm beginning to lean towards B. It's hard to justify giving a journeyman QB that kind of money with the lack of cap space we have this year and beyond. We've drafted 3 QBs in 4 years.. Time to see what they can do.

26 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If these are my two options:

A: Battling for a wildcard with Fitz. Push $10+ million onto the the 2017 cap

B: Hope for .500 with Geno, maybe see Petty or Hack, no future cap ramifications.

Sadly, I'm beginning to lean towards B. It's hard to justify giving a journeyman QB that kind of money with the lack of cap space we have this year and beyond. We've drafted 3 QBs in 4 years.. Time to see what they can do.

Horrible brother!!!

get your girlfriend to take care of your middle pocket with the zipper & come away from the ledge of the "I wanna be a loser" Geno crowd!

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Possibly my favorite quote from a Jets Coach, Cheers to you Todd, I'll drink to that 

Why is it so telling that Bowles is sooooo much better than Ryan was. With both the media and the X's and O's. Rex would of said: "And I tell ya' if Fitzpatrick doesn't sign we are going to build a bully and make him sign the damn thing, yadayada! Super bowl, Top 3, And I tell ya'... lets go eat a god damn snack" unprofessional pig. You can tell Bowles gets his respects and has a connection with the players all at the same time.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

A sissy answer?  Because pointing out a mediocre performance which came up short of the playoffs in a horrible ending, is not good enough this upcoming year considering we don't have one of the easiest schedules possible?

That's not only "sissy" thinking but also just lame/defeatist.  Phuck that $hit.  It's not good enough.  Are you one of those who thinks giving kids participation trophies is a good idea?  You can pat Fitzy on the back all ya want.  I choose to boot his @ss out the door if he wants over quality backup pay.

They have to get better and Fitz is maxed out.  Move on and don't be the idiots spending big for failure.

Edit:  you may have meant $hitty instead of sissy.  But point is the same.

I'm one of those ... The best the Jets should hope for in 2016 is to ride out close to the same at QB ... If they do that they certainly can make it into the dance & anything can happen then!

Fitz is the least bad option for this ... Geno is the worst possibility out there & is only in play as a negotiation tactic against Fitz & his agent.

As much as we can debate the merits of starting Geno, the bigger issue is who is currently behind him on the roster.  Right now we are an injury (or some suckage) away from depending on a long-shot prayer (in Petty/Hack), or mailing in the season with a loaded roster. 

At some point, we need to entertain the idea of bringing in a veteran QB to learn our offense, and Fitz's (official/hard) deadline should be directly related to how long it would take a new add QB to effectively learn our system.  

IMO, Plan-C needs to go into effect before pre-season games, but that just because I believe in this team, and think that any JAG with half-a-head can have success on this roster. 

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  Fitz is hanging out relaxing and looking for big money, while Geno is practicing with the team and even working with some of the NFL's best WRs when free.

The writing is on the wall.  Has been for months now.  It's Geno time!  :thumbup:

If Fitzpatrick doesn't come back than look for another veteran Qb to be brought in . ( Nick Foles).  That Qb might be the Jets starting Qb this year. Time is running out for Fitzpatrick because they need to get that veteran Qb up to speed fast.

Jmo I can't see the Jets going with Geno Smith as their starting Qb , especially with that brutal schedule to open the season.( could be throwing away the season right off the bat).

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

As much as we can debate the merits of starting Geno, the bigger issue is who is currently behind him on the roster.  Right now we are an injury (or some suckage) away from depending on a long-shot prayer (in Petty/Hack), or mailing in the season with a loaded roster. 

At some point, we need to entertain the idea of bringing in a veteran QB to learn our offense, and Fitz's (official/hard) deadline should be directly related to how long it would take him to learn our system.  

IMO, Plan-C needs to go into effect before pre-season games, but that just because I believe in this team, and think that any JAG with half-a-head can have success on this roster. 

Not bad ... Except there is no merit to starting Geno ... If Fitz doesn't get resolved by early TC then a vet scrub will be brought in to start instead of Geno

Archived