Fitz Rated 25th out of 33 NFL QB's

peekskill68

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick rated 25th among QBs by NFL insiders

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Ryan Fitzpatrick might be "elite" in the eyes of teammate Brandon Marshall, but the New York Jets' quarterback is no such thing in the opinion of NFL types.

Our man Mike Sando has posted his annual quarterback tier rankings, based on a poll of 42 league insiders -- 10 general managers, five head coaches, seven offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, eight personnel evaluators and seven other position coaches/executives. They were asked to rate 33 quarterbacks, placing them into one of five tiers. You know the drill: Tier 1 is elite, tier 5 is rock bottom.

Fitzpatrick finished in tier 3, defined as: "Legit starter but needs heavy run game/defense to win." He finished 25th out of 33 quarterbacks, behind Ryan Tannehill (24th) and ahead of Tyrod Taylor (26th). Obviously, it wasn't a great showing for the AFC East, except for Tom Brady (first).

An unnamed head coach and offensive coordinator offered their opinions of Fitzpatrick.

The head coach: "He was with Chan Gailey, and Chan is good. If he leaves Chan, he needs to get back to Harvard and redo that degree. Chan has been a football lifesaver."

The offensive coordinator: "He has played well, but he just makes those decisions that are head scratchers. Last year, when they had a chance to get into the playoffs if they won the game, that was his chance to be the guy, and he couldn't get it done. He is a great guy, but he has had opportunities everywhere."

That's a rather blunt assessment of Fitzpatrick, whose value to the Jets is greater than anywhere else. He didn't draw any significant interest on the free-agent market, contributing to a long contract dispute. They ended up signing him for $12 million, which, by the way, ranks 23rd in average-per-year among quarterbacks.

_________

I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider but if anyone does, I'd love to see the complete list.  I'm really curious who these "insiders" ranked below Fitz...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Would you take Tannehill over Fitz? 

If finances were factored in, there's probably a few QB's ranked ahead of Fitz that I wouldn't take over him.  Stafford comes to mind, as he is counting $22.5M against the cap this year and next.

If we were paying a QB Stafford money, we would not have Muhammad Wilkerson back, and a contract extension for Sheldon Richardson would be jeopardized.

Curious to see the list since it was comprised of so many different sources.

I cant think of 7 QB's worse than Fitz off the top of my head.  I'd certainly take Tyrod Taylor over him and probably Tannehill.  Funny thought that 2 of the 4 QB's in the division are ranked lower. 

Hmmm...I guess you have to put him over the rookies...not sure if they're counted Goff, Wentz, Lynch, etc.  I wouldnt think so.

So right now, I'd take Fitz over Sanchez/Siemian.  Case Keenum.  Bradford.  RGIII maybe (curious to see if he can turn it around)...that's about it.

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Dollar for dollar yes absolutely. Tannehill still has potential to develop into a better player too unlike fitzpatrick. fortunately for us, Miami is a mess and has been for some time

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cant think of 7 QB's worse than Fitz off the top of my head.  I'd certainly take Tyrod Taylor over him and probably Tannehill.  Funny thought that 2 of the 4 QB's in the division are ranked lower. 

Hmmm...I guess you have to put him over the rookies...not sure if they're counted Goff, Wentz, Lynch, etc.  I wouldnt think so.

So right now, I'd take Fitz over Sanchez/Siemian.  Case Keenum.  Bradford.  RGIII maybe (curious to see if he can turn it around)...that's about it.

Just saw the list;

Forgot about the mess in San Fran, though I'd take Cap over Fitz.  Not Gabbert.  I'd take Osweiler over him too.

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We used to dream of 32, 33. For 7 or 8 years we were 37th, 38th. 

In the end who really cares what fitz is rated. I just want him to get a win in buffalo week 2 and prove he can succeed against halfway decent competition 

Tannehill would be a star with our team around him. Problem is he plays in Miami which seems to be in a constant state chaos.

No stability at all there for many years.

Ratings-wise, this makes sense... though statistically he finished higher in total production.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle after you factor in consequences, etc.

By and large, my reaction to this article is that Cimini must have a clicks quota to meet.

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

How can Brady be a Tier 1 when he's only eligible to play 75% of the season? That necessarily makes him Tier 4. "Might not want this guy starting all 16 games."

I'd go with Rodgers, then Newton, then Brady.  But I can see the arguments in almost any order. 

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Tannehill is a mentally weak qb.  You guys who think he's better than Fitz oh boy you are wrong.

Statistically he is. Mentally, he's been in a different situation so its really hard to say. He came in expecting to be the "franchise", Fitz came in with nothing to lose as a 7th rounder and getting every opportunity initially due to an injury.

WIth that said though, Tannehill isnt that much better than Fitz, but if I had to decide between the two today, im taking Tannehill. Sure, Fitz has grit as well as a great 2015 season, but I'd take Tannehills first 4 seasons in the league over any collection of Fitz four seasons over his 11 year span. Also, Tannehill isnt injury prone. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Statistically he is. Mentally, he's been in a different situation so its really hard to say. He came in expecting to be the "franchise", Fitz came in with nothing to lose as a 7th rounder and getting every opportunity initially due to an injury.

WIth that said though, Tannehill isnt that much better than Fitz, but if I had to decide between the two today, im taking Tannehill. Sure, Fitz has grit as well as a great 2015 season, but I'd take Tannehills first 4 seasons in the league over any collection of Fitz four seasons over his 11 year span. Also, Tannehill isnt injury prone. 

Stats mean nothing in today's nfl where everyone passes for 3000+ yards

Tannehill is a way better athlete than Fitz but mentally he is such a soft qb he makes himself worse.  People complain about Fitz not being able to throw it deep, Tannehill is Mr. Checkdown and that's how he gets those stats you gush over.

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Stats mean nothing in today's nfl where everyone passes for 3000+ yards

Tannehill is a way better athlete than Fitz but mentally he is such a soft qb he makes himself worse.  People complain about Fitz not being able to throw it deep, Tannehill is Mr. Checkdown and that's how he gets those stats you gush over.

In the past I've said that Tannehill is arguably the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL. However, stats mean much more than "nothing". When Jets fans speak about Fitz, whats one of the first things you hear? "Fitz broke all types of Jets records as a QB"...you hear stats. 

Ryan Tannehill is a better QB than Fitz, however, not world's better. What I will say is, Fitz situation is much better than Tannehills. From the talent, to the coaching staff to the front office. Fitz is also a guy known for only being able to succeed in a Chan Gailey system. 

Tannehill's "mental" may keep him from reaching his full capacity, but even his limited capacity is better than Ryan Fitzpatrick. You put Tannehill on this team and I believe we'd have a better chance offensively because I would consider that an upgrade at the position. Not to mention that he also has upside if he's able to get the mental aspect of his game together. Fitz is what Fitz is, and his best makes him 25th in the league at this point. Just my opinion, but yeah, stats matter for sure. 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Bradford, and RGIII >>>>>>>>> Fitz

The offensive coordinator: "He has played well, but he just makes those decisions that are head scratchers. Last year, when they had a chance to get into the playoffs if they won the game, that was his chance to be the guy, and he couldn't get it done. He is a great guy, but he has had opportunities everywhere."

Hmmm, doesnt this idiot know it was really on Revis?

Archived