Bryce Petty vows to "Favre it"

Integrity28

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree about Peake and Marshall, at least as of today.  That means it may end up that the real question there is whether they show loyalty to their second round pick or keep Thompkins.  Maybe they go inactive with D Smith as you suggest, but cutting Thompkins outright to keep Smith?  I don't know that that is a given at this point.  Smith has to get out there and show he can catch some balls.

Thompkins is the definition of a JAG. you gotta be kidding me with this nonsense 

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

To really evaluate Petty fairly vs. Geno the coaches need to have them play with similar talent against similar talent.  Geno had the backup OL out there to create a pocket while Petty had a bunch of camp bodies that likely won't make the team.  But Geno also went up against better Jax players than Petty so maybe it's a wash.  If we are really thinking about cutting one of them, the coaches should let Petty play with the 2's (maybe start him in the Eagles game?) and compare how he does vs. Geno in similar circumstances.

I agree totally with this.

Gotta see both of them in action with the likely O personnel they will be working with on a regular basis.

13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

To really evaluate Petty fairly vs. Geno the coaches need to have them play with similar talent against similar talent.  Geno had the backup OL out there to create a pocket while Petty had a bunch of camp bodies that likely won't make the team.  But Geno also went up against better Jax players than Petty so maybe it's a wash.  If we are really thinking about cutting one of them, the coaches should let Petty play with the 2's (maybe start him in the Eagles game?) and compare how he does vs. Geno in similar circumstances.

We are going into the season with 4 QBs on our roster. Fitz is the starter. Geno is the most prepared to step in if there is an injury to Fitz. Petty is a project that has made strides since last year (which is all you can ask from Petty considering where he started) and Hack was a 2nd round pick. 

The only way we don't go into week 1 with 4 QBs is if Petty plays horribly going forward and we put him on the practice squad and another team scoops him up. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You think we're going to keep 4 QBs if Petty looks average?

Yes, we will. We are certainly not kicking Geno off the team if Petty looks average against 4th stringers. 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree about Peake and Marshall, at least as of today.  That means it may end up that the real question there is whether they show loyalty to their second round pick or keep Thompkins.  Maybe they go inactive with D Smith as you suggest, but cutting Thompkins outright to keep Smith?  I don't know that that is a given at this point.  Smith has to get out there and show he can catch some balls.

Thomkins over Smith? 

Lol, ok, makes sense.  

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yes, we will. We are certainly not kicking Geno off the team if Petty looks average against 4th stringers. 

Unless one of them sucks it up they're keeping 4.  Geno and Fitz could be gone next year, they need all of them to improve and set the plan in motion. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disagree. I don't think there's a competition for the # 2 job right now. But what Petty CAN do is make this coaching staff and front office feel a lot better about letting both Fitz and Geno go after '16.

In the short term, It'll also most certainly keep him off the Practice Squad.

Absolutely this.  Geno is costing them next to nothing and is the only other guy at the position besides Fitz with even the slightest bit of experience.  The Jets have very little incentive to send him packing beyond the personal dislike many fans have for him.  He's on the last year of his deal and it would take a near miracle for him to be here beyond that, but that doesn't dismiss the value he provides as a backup.  If Petty continues to look good, that's reason enough to carry 4 QBs and gives the team the real option of next offseason's plan being to find one veteran in FA and let there be an open competition.

Whether we like it or not, when final cutdowns come, it's a pretty safe assumption that the Jets will value a #2 QB over a bottom of the depth chart guy at another position.  The only thing that could change that would be a legit trade offer (not going to happen) and/or Petty significantly outperforming Geno throughout the entirety of camp and preseason.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We are going into the season with 4 QBs on our roster. Fitz is the starter. Geno is the most prepared to step in if there is an injury to Fitz. Petty is a project that has made strides since last year (which is all you can ask from Petty considering where he started) and Hack was a 2nd round pick. 

The only way we don't go into week 1 with 4 QBs is if Petty plays horribly going forward and we put him on the practice squad and another team scoops him up. 

Not sure I agree with this.  We have a 30+ year old starting RB, a LT who is coming back from a major injury, a RT on the PUP, a 30+ CB coming back from wrist surgery, a Pro Bowl D-lineman coming back from a broken leg, and a number of young WR's who showed alot of promise last night.  What roster spot are you giving up to carry the 4th QB?

I would also like to see Petty with the twos.

Did anyone catch Geno talking to B Marshall last night? B Marshall's face was priceless. It was almost like "This dude still doesnt get it".

Geno's doesn't look like he has changed at all. I am curious to see if he could even look good in an actual game against other teams 3's.

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I watch Geno play and it's like, geesh will this guy ever become a complete player?  Then, like after the the Raiders game I look at the stats and some of the good plays and I think, this guy seems better than he looks.  Bottom like, Geno never has passed the eyeball test.  I'm concluding that Geno is a backup and nothing more.  

I'm not saying Petty is the answer, jury's out, but Geno isn't the answer, jury's in.

ps: This is coming from someone who I was in the let Fitz walk camp.     

Same...I've always had Geno's back through it all but it's the mental part of the game with him. All the physical traits in the world but no pocket awareness and inaccurate. At least he doesn't take 25yd sacks anymore  :-k

He's the clear cut #2 behind Beard....

2 hours ago, slats said:

Geno's in the last year of his contract. The Jets aren't looking at him as a starter. They hold onto him if they believe he's significantly better than Petty and Hack as a backup. The one year, $12M deal for Fitz put the Jets squarely in win now mode. Given Fitz' style of play, they need a quality backup. 

There is no "win now" if Fitzpatrick goes down.  There is no contingency plan that says we compete for a playoff spot with any one of the backups.  Even if Fitz goes down for just 2 or 3 games its catastrophic to our season which hangs by a thread already due to its difficulty.

So there are two ways to look at it:

1.  Fitzpatrick healthy.  We go for a playoff berth.  Backup QB becomes a non-issue.

2.  Fitzpatrick hurt.  Season immediately over.  Backup QB position now becomes a valuable training ground for our QB of the future.  Petty is the guy we want in this role so we can see if he's a hit or a miss as we'll have Hackenberg plus a high pick in the following draft.

So, my take, either way there is no place for Geno Smith on this roster.  He's not capable of carrying us for a few weeks if Fitz goes down and he's definitely not our future.  So we showcase him in preseason, wait for some unfortunate NFL team to lose its QB to a season-ending preseason injury, and swing a deal for a draft pick.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is no "win now" if Fitzpatrick goes down.  There is no contingency plan that says we compete for a playoff spot with any one of the backups.  Even if Fitz goes down for just 2 or 3 games its catastrophic to our season which hangs by a thread already due to its difficulty.

1.  Fitzpatrick healthy.  We go for a playoff berth.  Backup QB becomes a non-issue.

2.  Fitzpatrick hurt.  Season immediately over.  Backup QB position now becomes a valuable training ground for our QB of the future.  Petty is the guy we want in this role so we can see if he's a hit or a miss as we'll have Hackenberg plus a high pick in the following draft.

So, my take, either way there is no place for Geno Smith on this roster.  He's not capable of carrying us for a few weeks if Fitz goes down and he's definitely not our future.  So we showcase him in preseason, wait for some unfortunate NFL team to lose its QB to a season-ending preseason injury, and swing a deal for a draft pick.

SAR I

Great points. The Jets didn't give Fitz his money because they are comfortable with Geno being the starting QB of this team. 

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We lose 2 of 4 and season is over.  

We lose Fitz for one or two games the season is over.

Fitz goes down for a half, we don't need a QB, we'll lose anyway and the season will be over.

All great points on why we don't need a backup at QB with game experience under any circumstance. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I do. 

We have an owner about to turn 70 next year, that's going to be a huge motivating factor to decisions made this year.  Better to roll the dice on Petty becoming The One than to keep a fifth-string special teamer.

SAR I

Yes indeed.  I am fairly confident that  will carry 4 QBs this season.  Yes it is unusual but the circumstances warrant  for 2016. 

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

LMAO.  So if Fitz goes down before the 3 game stretch against the Browns, Fish and Rams you think we can't win any of those games with Geno? Trolls gonna troll....

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO.  So if Fitz goes down before the 3 game stretch against the Browns, Fish and Rams you think we can't win any of those games with Geno? 

Yes, absolutely.

Remember, I am a New York Jets quarterback's best fan. I stick with these guys longer than anyone else hoping against hope that they become the next Joe Namath. I still believe in Mark Sanchez. 

Point being that if someone like me has given up on Geno Smith, he's really a lost cause.  He sucks. 

SAR I

How Jets' Bryce Petty described his performance vs. Jaguars

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 12, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated August 12, 2016 at 7:46 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD — Jets quarterback Bryce Petty needed only one word, 10 letters and four syllables to describe his performance against the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

Oh, he threw in a smile, too. 

"Comfortable," Petty said following the Jets' 17-13 victory at MetLife Stadium. "I felt like I was so much more comfortable than last year, which is exactly what I wanted." 

Thursday night wasn't perfect for Petty. Not even close. He completed 7 of 14 passes, threw for 93 yards, had a quarterback rating of 71.4 and took two sacks. He didn't throw an interception, but he also didn't throw a touchdown. Petty played five series and got the Jets into field goal range twice. 

To most, that's an 'eh' game. But for the second-year pro, it showed progress. 

The Jets selected Petty in the fourth round of last year's draft. He was viewed then, and still is a bit now, as a project player. At Baylor, he wasn't asked to make reads or play from under center. He came to the Jets about as raw as they come. While Petty could throw the ball with the best of them, the Jets needed to teach him how to play quarterback. 

And that's why he's thrilled with his performance Thursday. 

"We tailed off a bit towards the end, but overall, I was really happy with what was going on," Petty said. "Every play call I just knew what was going on and knew what was expected of me. I just felt good about everything." 

Making an impression

Making an impression

Who looked good and who did not.

Petty's performance was a good first step in what's a positional battle against himself. Ryan Fitzpatrick (the starter), Geno Smith (the proven backup) andChristian Hackenberg (this year's second-round pick) are all locks to make the roster. Petty is the wildcard. 

It's not uncommon for a team to keep just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. Petty is trying to convince the Jets to keep four. If he shows progress this preseason, maybe it will happen. If he doesn't, odds are he'll be waived and his roster spot used for depth at another position.

See, unlike most position battles, Petty isn't competing against another player. Bryce Petty is battling Bryce Petty. 

"I'm in a quarterback competition with myself," Petty said. "Every time I go out there, I want to be the best quarterback I can be every day. Whether that's at practice, watching film or in a game. Whatever it is, I'm in a competition with myself."

And so far, Bryce Petty is winning. 

3 hours ago, cant wait said:

Thompkins is the definition of a JAG. you gotta be kidding me with this nonsense 

Wow you have developed that following around thing. 

On the merits, it is nonsense to wonder whether D. Smith is a lock to make the final 53?

Have fun with that one.

16 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Wow you have developed that following around thing. 

On the merits, it is nonsense to wonder whether D. Smith is a lock to make the final 53?

Have fun with that one.

Maybe if you posted something that wasn't utter nonsense you wouldn't have to whine so much about it, baby blockhead. The notion you're suggesting of cutting devin smith and leaving his $2.6M dead money against the cap in favor of thompkins is asinine at best. Now go have fun with yourself :lol:

I was impressed with Petty last night, he looked pretty sharp. I think he is developing pretty well and there might be some glimmer of hope that he could end up being something for us in the long run. Lets not forget that realistically he was playing against 3-4th string players though.

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Maybe if you posted something that wasn't utter nonsense you wouldn't have to whine so much about it, baby blockhead. The notion you're suggesting of cutting devin smith and leaving his $2.6M dead money against the cap in favor of thompkins is asinine at best. Now go have fun with yourself :lol:

The only one whining is you.  You take this message board posting very personally, I've noticed.  That and even mild suggestions you are not so smart.  Wonder why.

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I was impressed with Petty last night, he looked pretty sharp. I think he is developing pretty well and there might be some glimmer of hope that he could end up being something for us in the long run. Lets not forget that realistically he was playing against 3-4th string players though.

Yes, but he was also playing with that same level of players on his side of the ball. 

27 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The only one whining is you.  You take this message board posting very personally, I've noticed.  That and even mild suggestions you are not so smart.  Wonder why.

Maybe it's because you continue to make poor observations on football and lack the ability to back yourself up without deriding other people's perceived intelligence. now go on and explain why the jets should incur $2.6M in dead money by cutting smith in favor of thompkins. I'm looking forward to hearing about why you think this is a great idea

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Maybe it's because you continue to make poor observations on football and lack the ability to back yourself up without deriding other people's perceived intelligence. now go on and explain why the jets should incur $2.6M in dead money by cutting smith in favor of thompkins. I'm looking forward to hearing about why you think this is a great idea

You take it personal that he makes poor observations? 

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Or if Petty plays totally lights out & geno continues with his deer in the headlights play.

Archived