Plenty of intriguing plot twists in the Jets' quarterback soap opera

Gas2No99

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Petty looked GREAT as a #3 and Geno, once he settled down and more defensive subs played, demonstrated he is a MORE than capable #2 QB WITH game experience. He's about as solid a cannon-armed back-up as we can get at that price. You'd rather have Hoyer as a #2? 

I really liked the way all our QB's looked on Thursday. Geno was off initially, but settled down and made a couple nice throws. Petty had a nice presence on the field and just seemed more sure of himself. And Fitz back to back to Q was sweet.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz  9m9 minutes ago

Geno Smith not speaking to reporters again today. Did not talk after the game on Thursday either. #NYJ

... and this indicates to me either he does not know how to handle the media ... or just does t get it.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Comfortable is one thing Petty should NOT be feeling. Geno has the edge in experience and if they are equal at the end of the day it could be cut time for Petty. He has to play better than Geno in order to stick at number two. I think he is capable, but he has to show it.

Ugh. He said he was comfortable under center, and he looked it. Way better than last year. He did not say he was comfortable or complacent with his place on the team. Context matters. 

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

... and this indicates to me either he does not know how to handle the media ... or just does t get it.

Yeah, this is the worst thing he can do.  He gets all pissy  with the media, they are going to start circling like vultures.  

He better get over this "brat" thing real quick, or things could get ugly 

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, this is the worst thing he can do.  He gets all pissy  with the media, they are going to start circling like vultures.  

He better get over this "brat" thing real quick, or things could get ugly 

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It was ä Bad preseason pass, no denying that. 

Pre-season, regular season, post-season, playing a pick up game with your buddies in the street....none of that matters in terms of the point I was making which was that even if a guy is wide open, there's no guarantee the QB is going to make the right read and/or throw.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz  9m9 minutes ago

Geno Smith not speaking to reporters again today. Did not talk after the game on Thursday either. #NYJ

typical... and disturbing... you would think that maturity would set in... guess not  :/

On August 12, 2016 at 6:50 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Let's see Petty against the second team , can flip that both ways. 

Tell that to JW in his defense of Geno

Geno did look sloppy but then again he wasn't with the first team so who really knows whatever decision the organization makes

But agree on Petty ... Let's see him with & against 2nd teamers  The next 2-3 games.

he easily could be great , horrible, or most likely somewhere in between

let's use the exhibition season to find out

I'm not the biggest Geno fan, and I went to the same HS as Costello. All that said, gimme a break. Coaches should always speak to the media, IMO. However, this whining that a player doesn't want to speak to media is just that. There's 89 other players to talk to. 

Not sure what's wrong with 'Geno wasn't available for comment', other than wanting to be a sh*t stirrer. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Pre-season, regular season, post-season, playing a pick up game with your buddies in the street....none of that matters in terms of the point I was making which was that even if a guy is wide open, there's no guarantee the QB is going to make the right read and/or throw.

It matters when you're attempting to shake off Cobb webs and establish some chemistry, which is why I said it was a bad preseason pass. It wasn't in the reg season or post season. They've been in training camp for 2 weeks, I can get past 1 play when it's game 1 of the preseason.  The purpose here is to identify that and fix it. As for Fitz, my problem wasn't that he threw to wide open receivers. I think that's what every qb in the league would do. I can't speak for those people who had a problem with Fitz throwing to wide open receivers. But I won't bring up my problem given that I did that pretty much all summer and it doesn't matter at this point given that Fitz is the starter. 

What I will say is that it was the right decision that Geno reacted late on and with a bad pass that could have been intercepted. I'll give him the rest of the preseason to figure it out because at the end of the day it was 1 play, and that one play doesn't tell the overall story...for me atleast. Overall, all 3 QB's had a good game 1.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It matters when you're attempting to shake off Cobb webs and establish some chemistry, which is why I said it was a bad preseason pass. It wasn't in the reg season or post season. They've been in training camp for 2 weeks, I can get past 1 play when it's game 1 of the preseason.  The purpose here is to identify that and fix it. As for Fitz, my problem wasn't that he threw to wide open receivers. I think that's what every qb in the league would do. I can't speak for those people who had a problem with Fitz throwing to wide open receivers. But I won't bring up my problem given that I did that pretty much all summer and it doesn't matter at this point given that Fitz is the starter. 

What I will say is that it was the right decision that Geno reacted late on and with a bad pass that could have been intercepted. I'll give him the rest of the preseason to figure it out because at the end of the day it was 1 play, and that one play doesn't tell the overall story...for me atleast. Overall, all 3 QB's had a good game 1.

Again...none of that changes any of my original point, which was that there are some things a QB must do correctly in order to complete a pass.  If he does not do it right, the pass won't be completed.  I heard a million times this off-season that completing a pass from Fitz required two things 1) Take snap 2) Chuck ball up in the air.

53 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Again...none of that changes any of my original point, which was that there are some things a QB must do correctly in order to complete a pass.  If he does not do it right, the pass won't be completed.  I heard a million times this off-season that completing a pass from Fitz required two things 1) Take snap 2) Chuck ball up in the air.

Im not trying to change your point. Im saying that I understand your point and in many ways agree with your point. Im also saying that im not going to pretend because of 1 bad pass from Geno Smith that I've never seen a bad pass from Fitz. Now dont get me wrong here, im not making the comparison here, you are. Im trying to avoid this because no one is going to change their tune on a player based on someone else's position. I dont think Fitz is as good as people hype him to be just like I dont think Geno is as bad as people portray him to be. That's my position and has always been my position. That doesnt mean that I cant show where Geno made a bad play (not trying to cover it up because im considered a "supporter" if you will), and at the same time its not fair to only point out the Fitz mistakes and exaggerate them. The arguing back and forth all summer excites the situation and causes people to overly emphasize the negatives of both QB's and then peoples initial stance on the QB's (generally speaking) are now warped because what they felt about the QB isnt necessarily what they said during arguments all summer where they were defending their position as well as themselves from attacks. You've heard alot of things this offseason, trust me I know, I have as well. A

The fact that you've heard what you heard a million times doesnt mean that you have to over-emphasize this particular point that you've made clear to me and that I'm agreeing with. What I cannot agree with you on is what feels like an attempt to persuade me to believe that this one bad pass was more than "that one" bad pass. Thoughts like that is how we have a crap load of people on the other side of this argument hearing a million times this offseason how bad Geno allegedly was in the Raiders game...until I came along and showed every throw in the game to show that he had "2 bad plays" that he actually passed his way out of, but for the overall performance and based on the fact that he was limited recently coming back from injury and with no chemistry, the guy did his thing. There's a magnifying glass on Geno Smith. The fact that I seen people lose their sh*t on Thurs when Geno threw a pass into the dirt on that Amaro screen which was the right decision. It shows that people are just "waiting for the opportunity". That fact is why Geno needs to leave NY. 

Brother, I understand where you're coming from, however, im not going to say that Geno is a waste, nor am I going to say that Fitz bad passes suddenly werent bad becasue of this throw. Fitz problems are different from Geno's, but again the season has began and im not going to go through the comparisons. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is our QB, it really doesnt matter what any of us said a million times during the offseason. We both know that this is going to carry on throughout the season, but im going to try to focus on talking about the QB's without the continuous comparison and what we heard a million times. 

To conclude, you're right...the pass was bad. This is why I pointed it out once I noticed it. The pass was bad, the timing of the pass was bad. The only thing that was good was the decision, which he was late at making. The preseason and getting back into "game speed" will (should) help that. Its not week 9, it's game 1 of the preseason. 

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The Biggest Improvement I saw from Geno and I think it was very big, was that he finally stepped up into the pocket and made some throws. He stood his ground in the pocket as well which he never did in the past. That's a very big improvement IMHO and while he did make some bad throws he made some good ones as well. I think Geno's biggest flaw has always been his pocket presence and his propensity to bail out too quickly and throw off the back foot way too much and I didn't see that on Thursday. Maybe he's starting to get it.

Petty has a huge arm and was throwing some darts he also has a nice presence in the pocket but we saw some of that last year in preseason. Make no mistake Petty has all the tools and it seems he's putting in the work I would not count him out by any means

Which is why this team should carry 4 QBs on the 2016 roster even though it's unusual.  This year's circumstances warrant it.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Which is why this team should carry 4 QBs on the 2016 roster even though it's unusual.  This year's circumstances warranted it.

No doubt that this is a massive internal discussion within the Jets. 

Have to think that if they're looking to get down to 3 QBs (barring a mysterious IR plan), Petty will be graded on a curve. Geno is at the end of his deal, and his future is not on this team. The fans hate him, and the players seem indifferent to him. He needs a fresh start somewhere else. But if the Jets really are a win now team, they need to stick with Smith if he's significantly outplaying Petty. Petty looked pretty good the other night, but he opened with three straight completions and went 4/11 the rest of the way. Geno put 10 points on the board -including the team's only TD pass- while Petty put up nothing (granted, the rookie kicker let him down). Petty hasn't closed the gap enough, yet. If that remains the case while he continues to show something, 4 QBs could be the reality. 

How come on 99% of teams the back up QB is the most popular player in the team but on the jets he is the most hated. 

Now before VTF or some other Geno lover says " not all fans hate Geno" I know this. Still does not change the fact that Geno is the most hated back up QB in the league and it's not close.  

On 8/13/2016 at 0:01 AM, Warfish said:

Personally, I'd like to see Petty in 2nd relief in Preseason Week 2, and Geno the #3.

Flip the first week, see how they do.

I don't see Geno being cut, the allure of an experienced #2 in a win-now year will be too strong.

But Geno has no future here, and Petty could, especially with Hack being so far away from NFL ready.

Ideal world, it's Fitz, Pettty & Hack.

Real world it's almost assuredly Fitz, Geno and Hack, with Petty on the P.S. and a hope no one takes him (a fair bet tbh).

Better yet , let Geno start , give him the 1st quarter , let Petty have the rest of the game. 

Disclaimer:  I was in the "let Fitz walk and start Geno camp".

Briefly the argument being weapon/OC/upside/maturation.

While he still didn't have all the weapons this past Thursday his weapon were arguably equal to or better than those in his past.  Everything else was in place for him to show his stuff and he failed.  He failed the eyeball test while passing the stats test once again.  This while having all the 1st team reps during OTA's.

So Gailey didn't help Geno.  His experience/maturity didn't shine thru.  So where's the beef, Geno?  

Petty didn't seems that far behind Geno albeit vs 2nd-3rd stringers.  Why Bowles said there is no competition for the #2 spot is beyond me.  Coachspeak?         

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Disclaimer:  I was in the "let Fitz walk and start Geno camp".

Briefly the argument being weapon/OC/upside/maturation.

While he still didn't have all the weapons this past Thursday his weapon were arguably equal to or better than those in his past.  Everything else was in place for him to show his stuff and he failed.  He failed the eyeball test while passing the stats test once again.  This while having all the 1st team reps during OTA's.

So Gailey didn't help Geno.  His experience/maturity didn't shine thru.  So where's the beef, Geno?  

Petty didn't seems that far behind Geno albeit vs 2nd-3rd stringers.  Why Bowles said there is no competition for the #2 spot is beyond me.  Coachspeak?         

He started slow but ended strong. What I was mostly impressed with was when the plays went south (bad snap by the Center/free rusher on a screen). Geno didnt exacerbate the situation. He played for the next down and made sure that his drives produced points in which 10 of the Jets 17 points came on two Geno drives. I think Geno had 3 drives before being pulled. 

Geno didnt "light it up", but he wasnt poor. He moved the offense and produced points. One thing thats a fact, he got better as the game progressed. That counts for something in my eyes. Now if he were to regress in game 2 then that would be cause for alarm for me. However, if he capitalizes on that game then do we then say that Gailey helped him? 

It's game 1 my friend. 

Fair enough Foe but you're sighting stats and I'm talking eyeball test.  Now if Geno does light it up during these next 3 games, great, I don't hate the guy I just don't think he's got "it".  I think he's a career backup (not that there is anything wrong with that) :)  

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He started slow but ended strong. What I was mostly impressed with was when the plays went south (bad snap by the Center/free rusher on a screen). Geno didnt exacerbate the situation. He played for the next down and made sure that his drives produced points in which 10 of the Jets 17 points came on two Geno drives. I think Geno had 3 drives before being pulled. 

Geno didnt "light it up", but he wasnt poor. He moved the offense and produced points. One thing thats a fact, he got better as the game progressed. That counts for something in my eyes. Now if he were to regress in game 2 then that would be cause for alarm for me. However, if he capitalizes on that game then do we then say that Gailey helped him? 

It's game 1 my friend. 

This is exactly what "it" should be about when discussing a backup. Who is able to run the offense...who can keep them in sync  on the first snap.. Not someone who the whole team is going to have no chemistry with, have to handle with kid gloves while he gets his timing down when you've played half a season and you have a shot at the playoffs if your offense could just play at an average level against the easiest second half of a season you would want. Tossing Geno anywhere under the backup slot when at least knows this offense and this group of guys for a couple years now would be a massive mistake. 

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

How come on 99% of teams the back up QB is the most popular player in the team but on the jets he is the most hated. 

Now before VTF or some other Geno lover says " not all fans hate Geno" I know this. Still does not change the fact that Geno is the most hated back up QB in the league and it's not close.  

Thanks for the shout out. This is "readable". :lol:

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I will just go on record that either Petty or Geno are better starting choices for this season. But Bowles loves Fitz, who will single handedly destroy this season.

Lololololoolololol ... 0 for 2 my man ... 0 for 2

happily Geno won't be here certainly by next season ... and hopefully by then you may be able to make that Petty comment

Archived