ESPN Power Rankings

kevinc855

Yep, they are out. Have the Jets at 15, slightly ahead of teams like the Texans and Giants, slightly rated worse then cowboys and colts.

A couple things to not here, we play teams 32, 31 and 29 (49ers, Browns, Rams) and the 26 ranked Dolphins twice and the 24th ranked and quickly falling apart Bills. Colts and Ravens are ranked way to high in my opinion at 12 and 14, very winnable games.

On the flip side we play 1, 2, 3, 6,7 and 9 (Seahawks, Cardinals, Cheating Pats, Steelers, cant win in Jan Bengals and Chiefs).

Like I said before I don't view this schedule as hard or easy, somewhere in between but if the Jets can pick off a couple early wins against teams like the Bengals or Seahawks (both home games) the Jets could be looking pretty rounding the corner into an easy late October November stretch. Link to rankings below.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17319873/nfl-2016-preseason-power-rankings-seattle-seahawks-arizona-cardinals-top-new-england-patriots-behind

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

This is a top-12 team on paper. 

No chance that Dallas, Indy, or Baltimore are better than us. 

Better QB's.  And Dallas and Indy are in easy divisions.

Also, while JetNation drools over Ryan Fitzpatrick, the rest of the world is waiting to see if he can do it again.  He had a ton of yolo type passes last year that could have easily gone the other way, vintage Fitz style.  Does that return to form or do we get a repeat of 2015?  I think most people are betting he returns to form.  This was a dude who led the league in turnovers over 3 year period.  If you get that, you're not a top 12 team.  If you get last years Fitz, I'd agree...there is no reason this team shouldnt make the playoffs.

Unfortunately for us, there was no reason not to make the playoffs last year either.  Which really makes this one of the more mysterious years I can remember as a fan.  I could see this team win 6 games or possibly eclipse 10 wins all based on QB play. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Also, while JetNation drools over Ryan Fitzpatrick, the rest of the world is waiting to see if he can do it again.  He had a ton of yolo type passes last year that could have easily gone the other way, vintage Fitz style.  Does that return to form or do we get a repeat of 2015?  I think most people are betting he returns to form.  This was a dude who led the league in turnovers over 3 year period.  If you get that, you're not a top 12 team.  If you get last years Fitz, I'd agree...there is no reason this team shouldnt make the playoffs.

Unfortunately for us, there was no reason not to make the playoffs last year either.  Which really makes this one of the more mysterious years I can remember as a fan.  I could see this team win 6 games or possibly eclipse 10 wins all based on QB play. 

Power rankings should not consider divisions. 

Indy could very easily finish last in their division. I like the Colts, but the reality is, they are Andrew Luck and a heaping pile of neglected roster. They are 2/3's of the way to where Tanny/Idzik brought us... but it's not as blatant because they have Luck.

Dallas is a 3 player team. They have a horrid defense and are not better than the Jets. Regardless of your thoughts on Fitz.

We will have a top 3 defense. If Denver is a top-10 team because of their defense... because it sure isn't because of Sanchez... then the Jets are in the same general vicinity. 

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yep, they are out. Have the Jets at 15, slightly ahead of teams like the Texans and Giants, slightly rated worse then cowboys and colts.

A couple things to not here, we play teams 32, 31 and 29 (49ers, Browns, Rams) and the 26 ranked Dolphins twice and the 24th ranked and quickly falling apart Bills. Colts and Ravens are ranked way to high in my opinion at 12 and 14, very winnable games.

On the flip side we play 1, 2, 3, 6,7 and 9 (Seahawks, Cardinals, Cheating Pats, Steelers, cant win in Jan Bengals and Chiefs).

Like I said before I don't view this schedule as hard or easy, somewhere in between but if the Jets can pick off a couple early wins against teams like the Bengals or Seahawks (both home games) the Jets could be looking pretty rounding the corner into an easy late October November stretch. Link to rankings below.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17319873/nfl-2016-preseason-power-rankings-seattle-seahawks-arizona-cardinals-top-new-england-patriots-behind

I agree with the Colts comment. Never been shook of Luck and the Colts, however, I cant even tell you if I ever seen the Jets beat the Ravens. 

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Indy could very easily finish last in their division. I like the Colts, but the reality is, they are Andrew Luck and a heaping pile of neglected roster. They are 2/3's of the way to where Tanny/Idzik brought us... but it's not as blatant because they have Luck.

Dallas is a 3 player team. They have a horrid defense and are not better than the Jets. Regardless of your thoughts on Fitz.

We will have a top 3 defense. If Denver is a top-10 team because of their defense... because it sure isn't because of Sanchez... then the Jets are in the same general vicinity. 

Power rankings are stupid.  But I agree, they shouldnt consider their schedule/divisions.

Indy has never had a great supporting cast around Luck and they were still a game away from the Super Bowl.

Dallas has the best offensive line in Football and is extremely explosive.  Their defense is terrible.  Yet, this team struggled to beat them last year with Kellen Moore at QB. They're better than they were last year...I wouldnt say they're better than the Jets.

We shall see about a top 3 defense.  The Jets have question marks at the LB'er position and not a ton of depth at corner.   I think Denver still has a better D than the Jets at this point but you never know what happens come season time.

Either way, this ranking is all about the uncertainty at the QB position.  

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Power rankings are stupid.  But I agree, they shouldnt consider their schedule/divisions.

Indy has never had a great supporting cast around Luck and they were still a game away from the Super Bowl.

Dallas has the best offensive line in Football and is extremely explosive.  Their defense is terrible.  Yet, this team struggled to beat them last year with Kellen Moore at QB. They're better than they were last year...I wouldnt say they're better than the Jets.

We shall see about a top 3 defense.  The Jets have question marks at the LB'er position and not a ton of depth at corner.   I think Denver still has a better D than the Jets at this point but you never know what happens come season time.

Either way, this ranking is all about the uncertainty at the QB position.  

It was better then, than it is now. Grigson has completely neglected the trenches on both sides of the ball throughout his tenure. They are not a good football team, but will win more than they should because of Luck. They aren't collectively better than the Jets.

Dallas's OL doesn't matter to me if they are standing on the sideline and/or playing from behind. Having the best rushing attack in football, in the modern era, only matters if you have a defense that can dictate the game, and let you turn back the clock to make it more of a ground and pound matchup. Agree to disagree here. 

Denver lost more parts than they gained. The Jets defense filled holes, and the Jets offense fixed what they needed to to stop putting the Jets defense back on the field constantly. I'm not saying we're better than Denver, just using them as an example of a team built like us, that is rated much higher because they are Elway's team - and we're the Jets. So, media bias effects rankings. 

I'd argue that this ranking is as much about QB as it is about Jets history.

If Romo could be guaranteed to stay healthy for 14 games, sure, Dallas should be ahead of us.

But you can't.  And Dak Prescott might not have much success taking over despite his strong showing against the Rams B team.  That's why Power Rankings are mostly useless.  Something to talk about, sure, but not much substance.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Romo could be guaranteed to stay healthy for 14 games, sure, Dallas should be ahead of us.

But you can't.  And Dak Prescott might not have much success taking over despite his strong showing against the Rams B team.  That's why Power Rankings are mostly useless.  Something to talk about, sure, but not much substance.

Romo is a QB that looks great on paper but when you look at those stats within the context of the game he's not a good QB. 

Throw in sh*tty coaching, an awful defense and Jerry Jones's influence and you have all the trappings for another lackluster DAL year.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

You are one smart MoFo!!

I don't know why everybody is so high on Oakland. 11th? Really? That POS team hasn't had a winning season in like 2 decades for goodness sake and every year their fans talk about them like they are going to win the super bowl. I think the Jets are better than any of the teams ranked 11th thru 14th.

The Raiders too should probably reach 500 one time before being penciled in as a playoff team. 

42 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The Raiders too should probably reach 500 one time before being penciled in as a playoff team. 

Without a doubt the Raiders will be a playoff team in 2016. That team is loaded on both sides of the football. All three phases offense, defense, and special teams is top notch.

8 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I find it hilarious we are behind teams that have no defense at all. Cowboys and colts LOL

3 hours ago, JiF said:

once again Fitz never played on a team with this much talent not even close and all we did in the off season was get better at RB TE and WR. We also signed a much better LT.

Along with the offense lets hope our ST's got better as well ... This team should have won 12 games last year and we beat ourselves.

Plenty of room for optimism and the Idiots who make these lists certainly don't know every little nuance of every team listed as the fan base does.

Barring any catastrophe like a rash of injuries or a Fitz injury this team is in the 12 win category and I could give a sh*t less about the schedule because that can change like the wind the Bengals are already the walking wounded making our first game look that much better. SOS is decided at the end of the year and it almost never turns out like was originally stated.

12-4

Middle tier certainly seems fair until they prove otherwise.  There is definitely some potential for improvement at a number of positions with young talent, but there's no way to know how that will really go until the season gets rolling.  As far as the schedule goes, I don't think it's something to be afraid of in it's entirety, but the real point has been that the Jets face a string of tough opponents to start off their schedule, which is never really what you want to see, as a bad start can potentially cause the whole season to spiral out of control.  If they can make it out of the early schedule with just a decent record, they'll be in pretty good shape.

Raiders are the most over-hyped team in football right now.

Cast the bait

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

They also are one of the deepest teams out there. A lot of teams will be watching their cut list.

Take the bait

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Without a doubt the Raiders will be a playoff team in 2016. That team is loaded on both sides of the football. All three phases offense, defense, and special teams is top notch.

Devour the bait

lol

Take a bow.

If this season ends at 8-8 as the power rankings indicate, it would likely be due to injuries or poor coaching. There is enough talent on this team that it should easily be a 10-6 or better, even with the tougher than average schedule. Big year for Bowles & Co. Macc has done his job.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

How many years have you been saying that? Isn't that what you said last year and they finished 7-9. I'll believe it when I see it. Seriously, when was the last time they had a winning record?

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The Jets are beating Seattle. That's a win. Book it. Bet the house. If I had a house, I'd bet it. I'd also live in it. But noooo, I had to be an ACTOR, a profession that is like buying a lottery- sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, book it.

Watching them now ... Wilson not playing his best game .... But still can rifle that ball around & good pocket awareness ... Despite the top notch Minn DL getting a couple sacks/tfl after him down after he breaks out of the pocket.  Their D ... As well as Carroll/Bevil are all still excellent

i'm very happy that game is in NJ ... Still am thinking coin flip at best ... jmo

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Watching them now ... Wilson not playing his best game .... But still can rifle that ball around & good pocket awareness ... Despite the top notch Minn DL getting a couple sacks/tfl after him down after he breaks out of the pocket.  Their D ... As well as Carroll/Bevil are all still excellent

i'm very happy that game is in NJ ... Still am thinking coin flip at best ... jmo

I just have a feeling, solid like a good dump that we're winning this one.

Archived