" Bryce Petty's days with Jets could be numbered " ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- The New York Jets' second preseason game will be important for many players, but perhaps none more so than Bryce Petty.

The second-year quarterback is battling for a roster spot, and perhaps his NFL future, with the Jets now having three other quarterbacks: starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, backup Geno Smith and rookie Christian Hackenberg.A year after the Jets drafted Petty in the fourth round out of Baylor, the team invested a second-round pick on Hackenberg, meaning Petty is in the most precarious position as the Jets prepare to face the Washington Redskins on Friday night.

Speaking after practice Wednesday, Petty admitted being a little taken aback when the Jets selected Hackenberg this spring."It was tough," Petty said. "But at the same time, if anything it's motivation for me. And that goes for anybody. There's a new crop every year to take your spot, that's just how it is. You can't be sensitive about it. It was one of those deals where you're like, alright, here we go, it happened sooner than I thought but here we go.

"But he's been great. He's pushed me, I've pushed Geno, Geno's pushed Fitz, and vice versa, all the way around."

The Jets only used three quarterbacks in their first preseason game against theJacksonville Jaguars -- Hackenberg did not play. Petty entered the game midway through the third quarter, finishing 7-for-14 for 93 yards with two sacks.

Those numbers won't wow anybody, but Fitzpatrick has been impressed by Petty this summer."The thing that I've noticed, the more comfortable Bryce is getting, the more decisive he's getting, the better the ball's coming out of his hand," Fitzpatrick said. "He can really throw the ball. It's just a matter of that decisiveness, not overthinking things, being able to dissect what's going on before the ball is snapped."I thought he did a great job in the first preseason game. His stats were what they were, but in terms of how confident and comfortable he looked out there, it was a big step up from last year."

Jets coach Todd Bowles is hoping to play all four quarterbacks against the Redskins, but won't guarantee that will happen."The flow of the game will tell," Bowles said. "They're all up to play. I don't know whether they'll all play or not."Petty is trying to make the most of his opportunities in training camp, but they have been limited. For instance, in Wednesday's practice he only got to throw seven passes during team drills. The first was a beautiful long completion to rookie wide receiver Jalin Marshall. But the rest were mostly short passes that didn't stand out.

Carrying four quarterbacks on a roster is certainly not common in the NFL these days. Petty remains hopeful, but also sounds well aware that his future could lie elsewhere."Unfortunately at the first part of camp, I was trying to make things happen, I was trying to be perfect, and you know as an athlete you can't do that," Petty said. "There came a point about Practice 7 or 8 when I just said, ‘Man, the heck with this, whatever happens is gonna happen. At the end of the day, if I can come in here and say I gave it all I got, and it still doesn't work out, then it means there's a better opportunity for me somewhere else."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62251/bryce-pettys-days-with-jets-could-be-numbered

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

completely unfounded speculation honestly.  I don't see how the Jets don't carry 4 QBs this year.  If we were to cut Petty loose this year, we lose Fitz and Geno next year and only have Hack on the roster next year?  No way thats happening.  It will be Petty and Hack next year with a veteran signing.

59 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Obvious speculation is obvious. Let's just see how he plays. None of these writers really knows what is going on at 1 Jets Drive.

It's funny you used the perfect word, one could speculate that Geno is on the chopping block, and almost write the same article. 

Not going to be shocked if Maccagnan pulls off a trade where he deals a QB for a late pick or

a RT from a team that is hurting.  Maybe SF where they have Gabbert, Ponder and a hurt Kaepernick

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Not going to be shocked if Maccagnan pulls off a trade where he deals a QB for a late pick or

a RT from a team that is hurting.  Maybe SF where they have Gabbert, Ponder and a hurt Kaepernick

i think he wants to see enough of Petty to get rid of geno.  i've written here before i wouldn't be surprised if they start the season with 4 qbs and drop geno at some point.  petty is on the team this year though, he was a 4th rounder last year and they traded a 7th to get him, they're giving him more than 1 year to develop.

28 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Unless Petty completely self destructs the rest of preseason / camp, he isn't going anywhere this year. Next year though, thats another story.

Anyone who completely self destructs would be gone, no?  

Think  Kieran Darcy, who ever he might be, is trying to make a name at ESPN by stirring the pot a bit.  That's cool.

I would be very surprised, and disappointed in Macc if Petty was released.    Petty was a project 4th round pick that they traded up for.  He has clearly  made some positive strides in camp this year.  Even had some excellent flashes with his long ball, and strong arm.  I would think, at this point, he is at least, or better then they had hoped for when they drafted him.

smith is a very long shot to be on the team next year.  it would seem to be a total waste of the 2 draft picks they used to select, then cut him when he showing some promise.

IMO this will be a 4 QB team.  FO won't like doing that, but cutting Petty would be a very short sighted move, with no real upside 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If Fitz goes down for 4 games, how many does Geno win, how many does Petty win?  I don't think those numbers are too different tbqh.

Keep the guy who might have a future here.  Geno doesn't.

Lol Petty will be lucky to win a game right now. There is a little bit of talent upgrade when you're throwing against the starters as opposed to 3rd and 4th stringers. Jets are giving Petty extended looks right now. Hey, maybe he plays better against the starters as opposed to 4th stringers?

38 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

completely unfounded speculation honestly.  I don't see how the Jets don't carry 4 QBs this year.  If we were to cut Petty loose this year, we lose Fitz and Geno next year and only have Hack on the roster next year?  No way thats happening.  It will be Petty and Hack next year with a veteran signing.

I agree, I don't think they make the same mistake as the Broncos who went from Manning and Osweiler to a no name backup, Sanchez and a rookie in less than a year..

16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Lol Petty will be lucky to win a game right now. There is a little bit of talent upgrade when you're throwing against the starters as opposed to 3rd and 4th stringers. Jets are giving Petty extended looks right now. Hey, maybe he plays better against the starters as opposed to 4th stringers?

That's not what has been going on in practice for the last week.  Few days ago Petty took smith's reps with the second string, and preformed very well against the 1st string D.

Since then Petty has been getting more reps then smith on most days, and Bowles has said they are mixing and matching the 1's and 2's in practice. Petty is still performing at a fairly high level.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/12_qb_observations_from_jets_camp_day_15_christian.html#0

22 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I remember when they said that about Brady. I remember how excited we all were that this skinny 6th round kid was starting because Mo knocked out Bledsoe. Brady was much better against NFL starters than he was against college kids.

Point is that you never know. As long as a QB is progressing you don't let him go.  

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Obvious speculation is obvious. Let's just see how he plays. None of these writers really knows what is going on at 1 Jets Drive.

Same thing was written somewhere else, now ESPN picks up the story.

Getting paid to guess and speculate is a noble profession

If Fitz goes down for 4 games, how many does Geno win, how many does Petty win?  I don't think those numbers are too different tbqh.

Either Geno or Petty would win as many games as Fitz, who is likely to put us in a big hole the first 6 games. Our weapons need more than the weakest armed QB in the NFL.

Also, really stupid atticle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BS article ...can't these guys find a player with an interesting back-story or something? Journalism used to be a job where you could find your own great story. Now, it's "who can create the most dirt." What a dying medium!

no one around here wants a non-leader like Geno as their QB. Trade him or cut him. The future lies w petty, hack, or some future acquisition, NOT Geno!!

..or, for THIS year, keep all 4.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This article is complete horse sh*t.  Here's how the Jets actually see it:

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Not the future of the Jets

Geno Smith - Not the future of the Jets

Bryce Petty - Might be the future of the Jets

Christian Hackenberg - Might be the future of the Jets

The Jets aren't cutting a guy who they view as a potential starter for a guy they view as this season's backup.

17 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Christian Hackenberg - Might be the future of the Jets

The Jets aren't cutting a guy who they view as a potential starter for a guy they view as this season's backup.

I would certainly think not. 

These next 3 preseason games will be VERY interesting to see what happens with the QB, and all position groups, obviously.

Carrying 4 QBs would suck, but if it has to be done, so be it.  The 1 unknown  is what exactly do the coaches think of Petty - do they think he has potential to be a quality NFL starter someday?  If so, you have to keep him, if not, they can cut him loose and hope to find a street free agent to come in if either Fitz or Geno gets hurt.

It would be one thing if Petty hadn't grown in the last year. His transformation, while clearly not complete, has been terrific. You don't draft a developmental QB, invest a year in him, have him develop nicely, and then let him go. It would be one thing if he wasn't getting better; and, from what I saw he has developed nice pocket presence, seems very comfortable back there and mostly making good decisions.

Is he better than Geno right now? I doubt it, but why invest the time and energy in him if you are going to dump him while he is still making progress?

IMO They find a way to keep him - one way or another.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Fitz goes down I think we have a better chance to win with Geno than Petty. And that should be the criterion for who is the backup. There is a good chance the Jets backup will get to play this year. He did last season. I'm not concerned about the future just 2016. 

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Christian Hackenberg - MOST PROBABLY.. the future of the Jets

FIXED ^ ^   ;)

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

That's not what has been going on in practice for the last week.  Few days ago Petty took smith's reps with the second string, and preformed very well against the 1st string D.

Since then Petty has been getting more reps then smith on most days, and Bowles has said they are mixing and matching the 1's and 2's in practice. Petty is still performing at a fairly high level.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/12_qb_observations_from_jets_camp_day_15_christian.html#0

Could you imagine a scenario where Petty just steals the starting job from everyone? How ******* insane would that be... in the awesomest of ways???

I'm going to  hurt my arm patting myself on the back, again, for the early recognition that the light wen on for the guy. I hope so hard he's a realer deal than whatever Guy Fieri is clogging his arteries with in Sheboygan this week on Triple-D.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I remember when they said that about Brady. I remember how excited we all were that this skinny 6th round kid was starting because Mo knocked out Bledsoe. Brady was much better against NFL starters than he was against college kids.

Point is that you never know. As long as a QB is progressing you don't let him go.  

The Brady comparison? I'm sold. 

Not that I wanted Perty off the team anyways. 

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Anyone who completely self destructs would be gone, no?  

Yea they would, but my point was even if Petty is just eh the rest of preseason and camp, I still say they keep him. Whereas, some players at other positions who are just eh will still get cut. But, because Petty was seen as a multi-year project at a position where he is the only player currently under contract next season with experience in this system (albiet it never starting a game), he won't get cut unless he's horrendous.

39 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It would be one thing if Petty hadn't grown in the last year. His transformation, while clearly not complete, has been terrific. You don't draft a developmental QB, invest a year in him, have him develop nicely, and then let him go. It would be one thing if he wasn't getting better; and, from what I saw he has developed nice pocket presence, seems very comfortable back there and mostly making good decisions.

Is he better than Geno right now? I doubt it, but why invest the time and energy in him if you are going to dump him while he is still making progress?

IMO They find a way to keep him - one way or another.

Hit the nail there. I'm all for keeping Petty and releasing the 54th ranked player on the team that wouldn't even suit up come gameday. Too much emphasis on that #53 spot, especially when you have a young QB that has shown signs of progress (and is an expert on Madden!)

People involved with the Jets franchise: "Bryce has really come a long way. Night and day difference from last year. Showing real growth."

Media: "Petty playing for his job."

I don't even think this is a discussion. Petty isn't getting cut. The media is reaching...

I would also remind you guys that MacCagnan traded up in the 4th last year to secure Petty. He may be a 4th rounder, but they invested multiple picks to get him in here, and he's shown exponential growth... make zero sense to draw the conclusion he's a candidate to be cut.

2 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

as of right now, 3 threads above this one they are asking is geno losing ground to petty.  one of these clowns may be right

This is basically the jist of sports reporting, pick one of the two outcomes, if you get it right... then claim it as your "scoop", and if you get it wrong, deflect.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

People involved with the Jets franchise: "Bryce has really come a long way. Night and day difference from last year. Showing real growth."

Media: "Petty playing for his job."

I don't even think this is a discussion. Petty isn't getting cut. The media is reaching...

once fitz signed there really weren't any controversies in camp, or many controversial players.  geno is one, and the media already rattled him.  what's left to write about that has some juice?  not much yet.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

once fitz signed there really weren't any controversies in camp, or many controversial players.  geno is one, and the media already rattled him.  what's left to write about that has some juice?  not much yet.

They could write about the positive stuff going on, but let's face it... that's ain't happening.

Archived