Leonard Williams is the new Klecko?

JOJOTOWNSELL

This guy is already moving all over the line ala Klecko.  I haven't been this excited about a young Jets player ever.........he will replace Revis as the best defensive player this team has ever seen, gonna be an honor to watch him play this year!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/is_leonard_williams_the_jets_new_nose_tackle.html

FLORHAM PARK — In the Jets' first preseason game against the Jaguars, and several times vs. Washington Friday, the defense deployed a unique look. 

Sheldon Richardson and Jarvis Jenkins lined up as the two defensive ends. That was normal. But in the middle of those two was last year's first-round pick Leonard Williams. A 3-4 defensive end by nature, Williams was playing nose tackle. 

A weird wrinkle? Exotic look? Funky front? No, no and no. The Jets, believe it or not, like the idea of having Williams anchoring the middle of their defense. 

"We talked about doing that in the offseason," defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said on Monday. "[Williams] was ready for it. He's the ultimate team guy. It didn't bother him. He's not selfish." 

For the last three years, Damon Harrison had been the Jets' nose tackle. A 6-4, 350-pound mammoth of a man, Harrison fit the role perfectly. His size and strength made him a force against the run. He was able to clog the middle of the defense and allow the Jets' two middle linebackers to play sideline to sideline. 

Harrison signed with the Giants as a free agent in the offseason. That left a vacancy on the Jets' defense. Williams — along with Steve McLendon and Deon Simon — is one of the players in the mix to fill it. 

"He has played more nose than defensive end or tackle [this offseason]," Johnson said. "That has been a position we've talked about him playing. We wanted to get him a few reps."

If this were Madden, Williams switching to nose tackle would be as easy as two clicks in the depth chart menu. In real life, things aren't as simple. Johnson said there's a vast difference between defensive end (Williams' natural position) and nose. 

Things get significantly faster the more you work inside on the defensive line. You only need to worry about one player (offensive tackle) as a defensive end. As a defensive tackle, you need to worry about two —the offensive tackle and offensive guard. As a nose tackle, though, you need to worry about three players — both guards and the center. Williams may not have the prototypical build of a nose tackle (he stands 6-5 and weighs a light 291), but he's fast, which Johnson believes will help him inside.  

"People look at the 3-technique and 5-technique as the same, but it's so different," Johnson said. "The blocks are so much different because they come in faster. If you're too tight on the ball, all kinds of stuff can go on." 

Ever since the Jets activated Muhammad Wilkerson off the physically unable to perform list, they've experimented with a wide variety of fronts. On Monday, the team deployed a four-man front featuring Richardson and Wilkerson at defensive ends, and Williams and McLendon at defensive tackle. Head coach Todd Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers are expanding their minds, thinking of the best ways to get their best players on the field. 

When they find something that works, they build on it. And that's exactly why Williams, as unconventional as it may seem, is getting reps at nose tackle. 

"What Coach Bowles has on his white board in his room has yet to be revealed," Johnson said. "I like what Todd and Kacy are doing because the scheme revolves around the players. He's not just calling a defensive that anyone can go out there and do. 

"All of our guys have to be versatile. With Todd, the more you can do, the more you're worth, and the better this defense can function."

Think about how versatile Leo makes this defense. Early downs he's inside, but you still have Mo & Shel rushing the passer. 2nd & long, 3rd downs, he moves outside with Mo or Sheldon. He's gonna be the Jets new Super Star. 

Once he starts being talked about & opposing fans start seeing what he can do, he's one of those guys whose personality will be too big to ignore. He's always smiling & the Mane of Hair will make him famous.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Think about how versatile Leo makes this defense. Early downs he's inside, but you still have Mo & Shel rushing the passer. 2nd & long, 3rd downs, he moves outside with Mo or Sheldon. He's gonna be the Jets new Super Star. 

Once he starts being talked about & opposing fans start seeing what he can do, he's one of those guys whose personality will be too big to ignore. He's always smiling & the Mane of Hair will make him famous.

I think that the other teams have taken note of his work already

I find myself just as excited as last year, before Sheldon decided to tell the police officer,"my license? Isn't it on the back bumper, man?"

Last ear I was in my typical August delirium about how this could be one of the best D lines that the league has ever seen. The talent level is just insane.

Now, one year later, I'm starting to get excited for the same reasons. Tell ya what, Wolf Pack,  or whatever it is you call yourselves these days, just stop whetting our appetite and end up a pretty damn good defense. STEP UP, DAMMIT!! Show us! Show the league! Show the world! Be dominant !! Don't be very very very good!!! BE DOMINANT!!! Make the believers in August believers in January!!! 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not saying he cant be, but what are you basing this on?

Mostly his age and what others have said about him from before the draft through today.  They not only talk about his quickness but he raw strength. I have said before, this kid doesn't even have his full strength, still kid muscles imo.  A full offseason program plus a year to grow into his man body and he will be better than Mo.  Personally, I think he will be wasted on the inside but that just shows that this kid is willing to do the dirty work of a NT for the better of the team. Then again, what do i know, saw a clip of him on one of his sacks this PS and guess where he was lined up? over the center.  

Either way, I think these next few years will be fun to watch this kid.

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Mostly his age and what others have said about him from before the draft through today.  They not only talk about his quickness but he raw strength. I have said before, this kid doesn't even have his full strength, still kid muscles imo.  A full offseason program plus a year to grow into his man body and he will be better than Mo.  Personally, I think he will be wasted on the inside but that just shows that this kid is willing to do the dirty work of a NT for the better of the team. Then again, what do i know, saw a clip of him on one of his sacks this PS and guess where he was lined up? over the center.  

Either way, I think these next few years will be fun to watch this kid.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/is_leonard_williams_the_jets_new_nose_tackle.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

not sure how I feel about this.....6th overall pick and now playing NT? 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Exactly my point, NT for him? but if he continues to blow sh!t up, who am I to argue, it is about our defense being the best, not all about Leo and he seems to get it.  

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Exactly my point, NT for him? but if he continues to blow sh!t up, who am I to argue, it is about our defense being the best, not all about Leo and he seems to get it.  

The only issue I had/have with the Williams pick was there seems to be players like him every draft. He's not an exceptional athlete for his size- and this move to NT worries me about his pass rushing ability. 

1 hour ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

This guy is already moving all over the line ala Klecko.  I haven't been this excited about a young Jets player ever.........he will replace Revis as the best defensive player this team has ever seen, gonna be an honor to watch him play this year!

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/is_leonard_williams_the_jets_new_nose_tackle.html

FLORHAM PARK — In the Jets' first preseason game against the Jaguars, and several times vs. Washington Friday, the defense deployed a unique look. 

Sheldon Richardson and Jarvis Jenkins lined up as the two defensive ends. That was normal. But in the middle of those two was last year's first-round pick Leonard Williams. A 3-4 defensive end by nature, Williams was playing nose tackle. 

A weird wrinkle? Exotic look? Funky front? No, no and no. The Jets, believe it or not, like the idea of having Williams anchoring the middle of their defense. 

"We talked about doing that in the offseason," defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said on Monday. "[Williams] was ready for it. He's the ultimate team guy. It didn't bother him. He's not selfish." 

For the last three years, Damon Harrison had been the Jets' nose tackle. A 6-4, 350-pound mammoth of a man, Harrison fit the role perfectly. His size and strength made him a force against the run. He was able to clog the middle of the defense and allow the Jets' two middle linebackers to play sideline to sideline. 

Harrison signed with the Giants as a free agent in the offseason. That left a vacancy on the Jets' defense. Williams — along with Steve McLendon and Deon Simon — is one of the players in the mix to fill it. 

"He has played more nose than defensive end or tackle [this offseason]," Johnson said. "That has been a position we've talked about him playing. We wanted to get him a few reps."

If this were Madden, Williams switching to nose tackle would be as easy as two clicks in the depth chart menu. In real life, things aren't as simple. Johnson said there's a vast difference between defensive end (Williams' natural position) and nose. 

Things get significantly faster the more you work inside on the defensive line. You only need to worry about one player (offensive tackle) as a defensive end. As a defensive tackle, you need to worry about two —the offensive tackle and offensive guard. As a nose tackle, though, you need to worry about three players — both guards and the center. Williams may not have the prototypical build of a nose tackle (he stands 6-5 and weighs a light 291), but he's fast, which Johnson believes will help him inside.  

"People look at the 3-technique and 5-technique as the same, but it's so different," Johnson said. "The blocks are so much different because they come in faster. If you're too tight on the ball, all kinds of stuff can go on." 

Ever since the Jets activated Muhammad Wilkerson off the physically unable to perform list, they've experimented with a wide variety of fronts. On Monday, the team deployed a four-man front featuring Richardson and Wilkerson at defensive ends, and Williams and McLendon at defensive tackle. Head coach Todd Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers are expanding their minds, thinking of the best ways to get their best players on the field. 

When they find something that works, they build on it. And that's exactly why Williams, as unconventional as it may seem, is getting reps at nose tackle. 

"What Coach Bowles has on his white board in his room has yet to be revealed," Johnson said. "I like what Todd and Kacy are doing because the scheme revolves around the players. He's not just calling a defensive that anyone can go out there and do. 

"All of our guys have to be versatile. With Todd, the more you can do, the more you're worth, and the better this defense can function."

Take it easy with the Kool Aid...Revis is a HOFer and Klecko should be. Williams is coming along but this is a bit much

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The only issue I had/have with the Williams pick was there seems to be players like him every draft. He's not an exceptional athlete for his size- and this move to NT worries me about his pass rushing ability. 

/disagree

he was 20? during his first training camp?  He was a kid hanging and holding his own among men last year. I think he blows up offenses on the regular this year.  Lead the team in QB hits last year I believe as well.  I am calling it now, most improved Jet this year no matter where they put him on the line.

49 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Actually he reminds me of a young Kris Jenkins.  He picks centers up and throws them.  He is going to be a nightmare for opposing OLs.

he is much smaller than Jenkins, Jenkins was ridiculous, wish he could have stayed healthy.

Jmo I think if they move Leonard Williams to the nose on obvious passing downs it can be very effective.( jets get three best defense lineman on the field at once).  If they plan to play Leonard Williams fulltime at Nt , he's going to get eating up by the massive interior offenseline double team. ( jets are going to have trouble stopping the run).        

Also Leonard Williams has had shoulder injuries , wasn't able to lift at the combine.   Do the Jets risk him getting injured playing the nose tackle position.     Hey the Jet coaches know more than we do, but It's going to be interesting how effective he is.  How much he's going to play there.

No ones gonna come out & say it but it seems he's throwing Mangold around a bit too. He's 21 years old! My comparison is Richard Seymour. BB use to move Seymour over the center too & create havoc. Not only that but when he learns to use his length to knock passes down, he'll be a hell raiser.

Here's the best part of Leos development, Mo & Sheldon are BOTH Pro Bowl caliber players that opposing Olines need to game plan for. With the Big Cats emergence you can't double everyone. He makes Mo & Sheldon that much more difficult to handle.

He also creates lanes for blitzers because he's so quick & powerful off the ball. Bowles & Rogers know the quickest path to the QB is up the middle. But if you help inside playing the Jets, now you have Mo & Sheldon one on one on the outside, and you create another straight line to the QB with LB, Safety, & CB blitzes. 

The Jets will speed up the QB decisions this year. Can the secondary hang for those 2 seconds when they don't get there. That will be the question.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Mac got a good one with this pick- props to him

That's the difference between Big Macc and some of the other knuckleheads we've had at GM over the years.  Everyone knew the Jets were very talented and deep on the DLine but when Leo Williams fell to them at #6 he didn't hesitate and took the best player on the board.  It is and will pay off big time, even helping with contract leverage and insurance against a possible Sheldon departure.  When you look at team that did things like reach for Stephen Hill in Round 2 and took guys like Kyle Wilson and Vernon Gholston in Round 1, you have to be pleased with the job Big Macc has done so far.

Leonard Williams is a Franchise Cornerstone player.

Mac recognized that fact and pounced on the player at #6 despite our overstocked cupboard of Young  BlueChip DLineman. I love that he's already being recognized & lauded for his, not only adjustment, but LEAP into possible immediate domination as a defender AND HIS 2ND SEASON HAS NOT EVEN STARTED YET!!!!!!!:blink:

Good times ahead . . . . just strap in and enjoy this young man's budding career progress and blossom before our very own eyes. 

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

That's the difference between Big Macc and some of the other knuckleheads we've had at GM over the years.  Everyone knew the Jets were very talented and deep on the DLine but when Leo Williams fell to them at #6 he didn't hesitate and took the best player on the board.  It is and will pay off big time, even helping with contract leverage and insurance against a possible Sheldon departure.  When you look at team that did things like reach for Stephen Hill in Round 2 and took guys like Kyle Wilson and Vernon Gholston in Round 1, you have to be pleased with the job Big Macc has done so far.

Howdy Sir, 

I recall you from the JetsInsideHer days. You still one over from my section in 246?

Making it out to any games this year?

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Howdy Sir, 

I recall you from the JetsInsideHer days. You still one over from my section in 246?

Making it out to any games this year?

Hey man, yup I'm still in 246 and I'll be at Week 1.  Flying into town from Arizona.  Might make it back again in November but we'll see.

15 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Me either. Not saying Fowler won't develop into a good player but is upside is no where near as high as Leo. 

Fowler in time could be one very best pass rushers in the league. A perennial 10 plus sack guy.     I don't how you can honestly make that statement  that Leonard Williams upside is better.   Both players should be very good players for their teams for years to come( stay healthy) .

Let me ask you a question ? How many sacks are you expecting from Leonard Williams this year.    

12 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Fowler in time could be one very best pass rushers in the league. A perennial 10 plus sack guy.     I don't how you can honestly make that statement  that Leonard Williams upside is better.   Both players should be very good players for their teams for years to come( stay healthy) .

Let me ask you a question ? How many sacks are you expecting from Leonard Williams this year.    

10-12

Archived