NYJ Final Cuts Thread

Integrity28

Just now, Nostradamus said:

I watched him play in college.  I had a friend on Brown University and saw him and his then teammate (now Detriot Lions DT) Caruan Reid beat the hell out of Brown.  Shut them out and Catapano and Reid were men amongst boys...my friends team couldn't do a damn thing on offense because of those guys. Yes it was Ivy League but those 2 looked crazy.  You see more Ivy guys in NFL lately.  Hell we have 3 on our own team if Josh Martin makes it.   I think Catapano averaged 1.5 sacks a game or something crazy his senior year.  He def has talent.  We will see.  Jenkins is gonna be good as well.  I watched him at Georgia and he was very impressive.  Hopefully Mauldin has a breakout year.  This is def our no name positional group....will be interesting to se what they do.

Thanks for the information I didnt know all this about Catapano sounds good hope he works out for us. 

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No developing necessary , Amaro is a bonafide route runner that creates mismatches at TE. His issue is dropsies and blocking both of which can be improved. 

I hope you're right.  I would think that route running can be improved more easily than a case of the drops (see Stephen Hill).  I just haven't seen a single thing to tell me that his upside is any better than an average pass-catching only TE.

Good news about the Thompkins cut

Yes, the Jets signed Thompkins to a one-year, $1.671 million tender contract. But a closer inspection of his contract's details — provided to NJ Advance Media by a league source — reveals none of that money is guaranteed.

Which bodes well for the Jets, if they want to cut Thompkins. 

Teams typically do not guarantee restricted free agent tender contracts. Sometimes they do, but not usually. So the Jets would create $1.671 million salary cap space by cutting Thompkins. 

The only other money in Thompkins' contract is a $5,850 workout bonus that he has already received — and that already counts toward the Jets' 2016 cap.

12 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

I watched him play in college.  I had a friend on Brown University and saw him and his then teammate (now Detriot Lions DT) Caruan Reid beat the hell out of Brown.  Shut them out and Catapano and Reid were men amongst boys...my friends team couldn't do a damn thing on offense because of those guys. Yes it was Ivy League but those 2 looked crazy.  You see more Ivy guys in NFL lately.  Hell we have 3 on our own team if Josh Martin makes it.   I think Catapano averaged 1.5 sacks a game or something crazy his senior year.  He def has talent.  We will see.  Jenkins is gonna be good as well.  I watched him at Georgia and he was very impressive.  Hopefully Mauldin has a breakout year.  This is def our no name positional group....will be interesting to se what they do.

True.  I remember seeing Catapano beat up on  JC Tretter from Penn who was drafted in 4th Rd and is now starting Center for Green Bay.   I remember watching that Brown vs Princeton game on TV as well. After you posted that I went on YouTube and found this clip of that game.  I hope he makes it as well. It's cool he is a local guy and Jets fan growing up.   I think Jenkins will be better than Mauldin so Catapano may have a tough time holding him off the field. I guess we will see.   https://youtu.be/9gO5OAHPGZs

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I hope you're right.  I would think that route running can be improved more easily than a case of the drops (see Stephen Hill).  I just haven't seen a single thing to tell me that his upside is any better than an average pass-catching only TE.

A problem with Amaro is he has no beast in him at all. Even after a catch it seems most times he gets taken down easily by smaller guys.

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Don't forget the one and only Brett Ratliff ... Mr Preseason himself!

It's funny you brought up Ratliff because everyone loved him. Including Mangini who when he went to the Browns traded for him in the Mark Sanchez trade up deal. That was actually a good trade for Tanny he gave up expendable players Eric liked and wanted with Clevelsnd which minimized the number of picks they got back in return. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Jets have been trying to trade former first-round CB Dee Milliner, per sources. Stay tuned on this one.

Interesting. That would take the Jets down to 9 DBs (4 Safeties, 5 CBs).  I wonder if that's where they want to be from a numbers standpoint at that position?

30 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

Catapano was cut from Kansas City where they tried to make him an interior lineman and he was ranked the 5th best DE in NFL by pro football focus last pre season....his cut was a shock because they were talking him up like crazy on their website and he had a great preseason.  Andy Reid praised him and said he is a great player but wasn't a good fit for what they needed.  GM of KC later said it was because they had Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and 1st rd pick Dee Ford at OLB and he wasn't quite the fit they wanted for an interior down lineman.  Jets signed him on practice squad where he worked his way up and started his first game up played 2 games and did great and 1 play after sacking Eli Manning his got the lisfranc injury.   Not all good players are drafted high or have easy path to success.  I think he will be good for us.  Def gives us another good option along with Mauldin and Jenkins.  Coaches like him obviously so give the guy a chance.

i had Catapano routinely mocked to the Jets the year he came out in the 5th/6th round. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy he ended up here. 

I remember Josh Martin in college as well.  I hope makes the team.  Gerald Hodges from Harvard is another great Ivy League linebacker who stuck and is having success in NFL.  I remember watching all those guys play.  They were all great in college.  

Archived