Time to switch QBs

Maxman

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

My only explanation, and after seeing the coaching decisions today I have some doubts, is that Petty is injured and they do not want to start Hack.

If Bowles had made a man's decision and made Petty #2 before the 4th PS game after out shadowing Geno all pre-season, we wouldn't be having this dilemma right now.

Bowles knows Fitz and Geno isn't the long term answer, thinks Fitz is better than Geno, and has no other choice at this point save start Hack and what is the point in that UNLESS the team is firing on all other cylinders, which it ain't.

I knew what I needed to know when they didn't put Petty on IR WRT their opinion of Geno...they're protecting Hack, and Petty is taking longer than they thought to get back from his injury IMO.

But if that's the case then Petty should have been named the starter. You mentioned Geno as if Fitz looked any better. What's worse is that Fitz looks worse now than what he did in the preseason. 

By your logic Petty should have been #1, but wasn't because of a contract that shouldn't have been given. Petty overshadowed everyone...but even his play wasn't great. 

Petty is injured, play Geno. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, phill1c said:

80 offensive yards in the second half?!

That's not an effective QB, whatever it "says on the tin".

Right, so imagine how much worse Geno Smith would have been.

The narrative since the Kansas City game was "if not for the interceptions we would have won both games!"  Well, no interceptions today.  How'd we do?

Look, this quarterback debate is fun and all but it's just masturbation, it's not accomplishing anything.  We do not have the type of quarterback on the roster who can out duel Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlisberger because they do not have the capacity.  But we do have the type of defense that can stop Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlisberger if they play up to their capabilities.

That's the point.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Petty is injured, play Geno. 

So the answer to our problems is to make the quarterback position worse.  That's a brilliant strategy.  It's original, I'll give you that.

Look, to win these games with the lousy defense we have we need an offense who can put up 35 points a game and we simply don't have that.  We can start with the offensive line that forgot how to run block, a stud running back only getting 30 yards a game, Decker playing hurt and now out, Marshall dropping critical balls thrown his way, and an offensive coordinator making some very brain dead calls.

When you get to the quarterback, the ones we have all display the same traits-  prone to turnovers, telegraph their passes, erratic, inconsistent, cannot be counted on to beat elite competition.  A quarterback change makes no sense when the ones on the bench aren't superior enough over the incumbent to the point of overcoming a massive set of offensive and defensive obstacles and putting up 35 points a game.

SAR I

Please put in Geno, Petty, Hackenberg, Tahj Boyd, Kellen Clemens, anyone.  I would like to see anyone in there because Fitz isn't a match for this offense.  I would honestly be more excited for next week's game if we picked some random college QB next week and put him in. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

NOBODY, EVER

has been as bad as Fitzpatrick has been as Jets QB this year.

Not Geno Smith. Not Richard Todd, Not Neil O'Donnel.

NOBODY EVER!!

I guess you were in suspended animation on a flight to Mars from August 2014 to January 2015.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

So the answer to our problems is to make the quarterback position worse.  That's a brilliant strategy.  It's original, I'll give you that.

Look, to win these games with the lousy defense we have we need an offense who can put up 35 points a game and we simply don't have that.  We can start with the offensive line that forgot how to run block, a stud running back only getting 30 yards a game, Decker playing hurt and now out, Marshall dropping critical balls thrown his way, and an offensive coordinator making some very brain dead calls.

When you get to the quarterback, the ones we have all display the same traits-  prone to turnovers, telegraph their passes, erratic, inconsistent, cannot be counted on to beat elite competition.  A quarterback change makes no sense when the ones on the bench aren't superior enough over the incumbent to the point of overcoming a massive set of offensive and defensive obstacles and putting up 35 points a game.

SAR I

Didn't you just call this masturbation?

Your sh*tty QB sucks. 

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Right, so imagine how much worse Geno Smith would have been.

The narrative since the Kansas City game was "if not for the interceptions we would have won both games!"  Well, no interceptions today.  How'd we do?

Look, this quarterback debate is fun and all but it's just masturbation, it's not accomplishing anything.  We do not have the type of quarterback on the roster who can out duel Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlisberger because they do not have the capacity.  But we do have the type of defense that can stop Russell Wilson or Ben Roethlisberger if they play up to their capabilities.

That's the point.

SAR I

i agree with you, Fitzpatrick put up decent numbers so on paper he's blameless this week. We would've won had the defense held them to 12 points. 

10 minutes ago, phill1c said:

NOBODY, EVER

has been as bad as Fitzpatrick has been as Jets QB this year.

Not Geno Smith. Not Richard Todd, Not Neil O'Donnel.

NOBODY EVER!!

The fallacious arguments defending him are amusing.

18 minutes ago, August said:

i agree with you, Fitzpatrick put up decent numbers so on paper he's blameless this week. We would've won had the defense held them to 12 points. 

Dumb as that sounds, yes. 

The problem with this team is that both on offense and defense it's not ready for elite competition.  We saw this last year with the cupcake schedule, how we got beaten soundly by the Texans and Patriots and Raiders, how we played just well enough against the scrubs to eke out 10 wins. 

Your problem is that you think the issue is the quarterback.  It's not.  First, we don't have a better one on the roster so the point is moot. Second, this theoretical better quarterback that no one has seen would have to generate 2x or 3x the offense as the incumbent which is not possible due to lack of talent and lack of on-field experience.

If we want to see the team improve against elite competition it's going to take better coaching and better schemes.  If we want to see them improve against weak competition, that's right around the corner, we don't have to change a thing, we'll go 6-1 starting with the Browns contest.

SAR I

3 hours ago, August said:

Geno had all off-season with the 1's before Fitz signed and did nothing to negate his 2+ yrs of suckage to make signing Fitz unnecessary

Couple of things:

1) The original signing of Fitzpatrick WAS AS A BACKUP. So, that's the original signing.

2) The coaching staff anointed Geno the starter when they originally signed Fitzpatrick, so THEY THOUGHT he did enough to warrant anointing him the starter.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What's crazy about this is that fans loved this when it was happening. Geno puts up a picture and suddenly he's too concerned about social media. 

Can't have it both ways and expect people not to notice the bullsh-t

Exactly they clowned Geno and used this as an indictment against him. So if Geno wants to subtweet about the Jets can you blame him?

4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Couple of things:

1) The original signing of Fitzpatrick WAS AS A BACKUP. So, that's the original signing.

2) The coaching staff anointed Geno the starter when they originally signed Fitzpatrick, so THEY THOUGHT he did enough to warrant anointing him the starter.

So what that tells us is that the lame journeyman backup outperformed the incumbent starter upon his return from the crushed jaw, after the Oakland debacle, for the remaining three months of the regular season, for the entire offseason, for training camp, for the preseason, in the midst of a 6 interception fiasco in Kansas City, to this very day.

Geno sucks.  Get with the program already.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, August said:

Exactly they clowned Geno and used this as an indictment against him. So if Geno wants to subtweet about the Jets can you blame him?

What are you talking about?

No one paid any attention to Geno Smith.  We didn't consider him before Idzik blew the draft pick, we weren't excited about him when he played that preseason, we didn't appreciate his up/down 8-8 rookie season, we completely lost whatever belief we had in him during his 4-12 debacle, and we were doing cartwheels at the water cooler when news broke about his busted face.  And in the year that's followed, we've completely lost any modicum of respect we might have had for him after his selfish public shaming of his teammates and front office.  He's the most hated Jet since Mark Gastineau. 

SAR I

13 minutes ago, August said:

Like I've often said, most of the dislike I see regarding Geno has nothing to do with football. 

It's cool to not like how a person handles being a public figure, but don't carry that over into football or accept Fitz/Marshall/Decker/Mangold's tweets and pics because it supports the narrative then act like Geno is irresponsible by putting up a photo that said "caption this". 

Geno does that and he's wrong for it, these guys basically do the same all summer and it was all good.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Dumb as that sounds, yes. 

The problem with this team is that both on offense and defense it's not ready for elite competition.  We saw this last year with the cupcake schedule, how we got beaten soundly by the Texans and Patriots and Raiders, how we played just well enough against the scrubs to eke out 10 wins. 

Your problem is that you think the issue is the quarterback.  It's not.  First, we don't have a better one on the roster so the point is moot. Second, this theoretical better quarterback that no one has seen would have to generate 2x or 3x the offense as the incumbent which is not possible due to lack of talent and lack of on-field experience.

If we want to see the team improve against elite competition it's going to take better coaching and better schemes.  If we want to see them improve against weak competition, that's right around the corner, we don't have to change a thing, we'll go 6-1 starting with the Browns contest.

SAR I

I'm glad that we're in agreeance, however too bad we don't have the 2000 Ravens defense that could hold teams to 70 yards of total offense and winning games 9-3. But we have this crummy defense that's making Fitzpatrick look bad, today he gives us a good game and the defense squanders it by allowing the Steelers to score. They need to understand that Fitzpatrick is a journeyman QB so they must play at an elite level to make up the difference. Fitzpatrick is not a problem at all, he's not even in the top 10 in terms of our biggest problems. It's Gailey and his playcalling, it's the QB coach, it's Geno Smith, it's the oline, it's the receivers for not catching his passes 100% of the time because God forbid they make an occasional error. It's the defense and certain players on there and it's Nick Folk for missing field goals in week 1. It's everybody but Fitzpatrick. You know what else, if Fitzpatrick sucks then it's impossible for any of the other QBs to play better than him, so might as well keep playing Fitzpatrick. No point in finding out.

I guess we'll see the real Fitzpatrick when we play bad teams like Miami and Cleveland. Because this Fitzpatrick is a victim of unfair circumstances created by the schedule makers and Geno Smith.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What are you talking about?

No one paid any attention to Geno Smith.  We didn't consider him before Idzik blew the draft pick, we weren't excited about him when he played that preseason, we didn't appreciate his up/down 8-8 rookie season, we completely lost whatever belief we had in him during his 4-12 debacle, and we were doing cartwheels at the water cooler when news broke about his busted face.  And in the year that's followed, we've completely lost any modicum of respect we might have had for him after his selfish public shaming of his teammates and front office.  He's the most hated Jet since Mark Gastineau. 

SAR I

What's the consensus reason(s) why Jets fans hate Geno Smith?

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Like I've often said, most of the dislike I see regarding Geno has nothing to do with football. 

It's cool to not like how a person handles being a public figure, but don't carry that over into football or accept Fitz/Marshall/Decker/Mangold's tweets and pics because it supports the narrative then act like Geno is irresponsible by putting up a photo that said "caption this". 

Geno does that and he's wrong for it, these guys basically do the same all summer and it was all good.

Players skipping offseason practices while Geno was there busting his ass to improve and show his teammates that he's trying to be that guy. 

Players FaceTiming Fitzpatrick wishing he was there  

Players openly lobbying for another QB right in front of him  

The team acting as if Fitzpatrick was on the team even though he wasn't at the time

The media telling him the team will be bad if he were the starter while hearing about how much better they'll be with Fitzpatrick  

The media constantly badgering him about Fitzpatrick 

Fitzpatrick shows up at the 11 o clock hour and takes your job away and even poses for pics while the media and fans clown him about it.

So considering all this why shouldn't Geno be enjoying what's happening right now? It's not as if they showed him any respect throughout the offseason  

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Please, explain this... "what it says on the tin..."??

what does that mean?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Buy a dictionary.

I'm done debating the QB position.  You want Geno to start, great, convince Bowles to start Geno.  I honestly could give a **** at this stage.

Wake me when our supposedly elite Defense stops being amongst the worst and least effective in the NFL.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

I understand the words, they just don't make much sense. I was offering you the chance to make them seem less moronic.

And I'll eat my hat if this post is your last comment in the Great NY Jets QB debate.

As far as "my" elite defense goes, don't try to make me its cheerleader to disguise how utterly stupid your comments are.

Lol

And to add to that, if what's on the tin is "what we've been getting" then there should be no problem replacing it. 

Just look at what it has produced. Being able to read the fine print doesn't make it okay to just accept this type of play. 

He shouldn't be guaranteed the job because we always knew he was an inconsistent, mediocre, inaccurate limited QB. Treat him like what he's worth. 

7 minutes ago, August said:

Players skipping offseason practices while Geno was there busting his ass to improve and show his teammates that he's trying to be that guy. 

The team acting as if Fitzpatrick was on the team even though he wasn't at the time

The media telling him the team will be bad if he were the starter while hearing about how much better they'll be with Fitzpatrick  

Fitzpatrick shows up at the 11 o clock hour and takes your job away and even poses for pics while the media and fans clown him about it.

So considering all this why shouldn't Geno be enjoying what's happening right now? It's not as if they showed him any respect throughout the offseason  

Hypocrisy. That's what you call it

1 hour ago, August said:

Awesome post and I agree 100%.

4 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Should have taken the $12 million we spent on Fitz and gotten secondary help and gave Geno a shot. 

The secondary already takes up nearly 35 million dollars of the salary cap and you want to allocate more money to that? Also, it's only 7 million dollars for the QB this year. And there was no chance this team was trotting Geno out there for a 3rd year. That's a had sell to the fans and to the veterans on the team. 

13 hours ago, August said:

You personally just don't want him back. Petty is the classic go too argument when all else fails. If Geno does well why wouldn't they want to keep him? Better yet where else can Geno start? If he finally gets a second chance why would he want to leave when he probably can't get a starting job elsewhere? 

personally don't want him back? You don't know anything about me.

He wouldn't return next year because he is so disliked here. He's aware of all the boos, all the comments, all the teammates that wanted this stiff Fitzpatrick instead and the giddy celebration hen he was re-signed, all the teammates that didn't come to his defense in the locker room or in the papers after he got his jaw smashed in, the way his HC wouldn't put him in no matter how terrible Fitzpatrick played, and any other bad blood gripes we don't know about. The only reason he'd consider staying is if the Jets blew him away with an outbid-everyone offer they're simply not going to make. 

The Jets aren't re-signing him because they know how deeply unpopular he is with their fans and they have a pair of draftees and a veteran they've been trying to replace him with. Now they're just going to drop everything and MM has to go back to his boss and say they should stick with Smith on a new 3 year contracdt because he has a few good games in mopup duty after the hard part of the schedule is over and the season's in the toilet? This is simply unrealistic.

Petty is the classic go to nothing other than upon his return he's the only able bodied QB with a possible future here. The team clearly wants to go in another direction. They pressured themselves into re-signing this fraud because he put up some decent stats against joke competition and the team won 10 of their 13-14 pushover matchups. I don't think Smith would be doing as poorly as Fitz has been, but I do believe any loss, any pick, any fumble, any misfire that happened would have been received with cries of "If only we'd brought back Fitzpatrick like a smart franchise we'd have won 10 games again! Fitz doesn't make stupid mistakes like this. He went to Harvard! He went to Harvard!!!"

Bowles right now has enough of a PR problem without the added lightning storm of naming Geno the team's starting QB for the next 2-3 years, before fans can get an on-field look at either QB they drafted (in no small part because Bowles unnecessarily risked his QB's health in the last preseason game just like his predecessor). 

7 hours ago, August said:

Good post, good to see it from that perspective.

I never realized how tortured Geno Smith must've been this past spring and summer with that going on.

It makes me happy.

SAR I

7 hours ago, August said:

Respect is earned.  If they didn't show him any there is a reason. 

Archived