Time to switch QBs

Maxman

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

I'll eat my hat if this post is your last comment in the Great NY Jets QB debate.

What else is there to say, really?

Fitz has been a massive disappointment, along with our "Elite" Defense, Forte, our oil-hands WR's, fumbletastic Specials, etc.  Fitz has earned a benching, if we had better to replace to him with.  We don't.

Geno Smith is dogsh*t as a NFL QB, and I don't want to see him on the field for my team, simple as that.  I reject the Geno Smith fantasy some JN folks engage in as the retardation it is.  He's gone already, at some point people need to accept it.

Which leaves us Petty and Hack.  Petty is hurt, Hack isn't close to ready.

So I'd play Fitz till we're done, then Petty once he's back.  I'd cut the cancerous little **** that is Geno "Lol, Jets lost, twitter ftw!" Smith.  

In either case, I have no control, and as expected the cadre of Jets "Fans" taking great pat-their-own-back pleasure over our failed season makes me sick.  

So best of luck flogging the Geno argument.  I'm done.  

It's far more interesting to discuss our pathetic Defense, and how the unit that was supposed to drive this franchise is amongst the worst in the NFL this year.  

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol

And to add to that, if what's on the tin is "what we've been getting" then there should be no problem replacing it. 

Just look at what it has produced. Being able to read the fine print doesn't make it okay to just accept this type of play. 

He shouldn't be guaranteed the job because we always knew he was an inconsistent, mediocre, inaccurate limited QB. Treat him like what he's worth. 

Funny he couldn't read that tin this offseason when he called any of us who felt investing in Fitz was wrong and would come back to bite us in the ass clueless Genoites or one of the other stupid names he needed to make his point. 

Remember his "Fitz is the best QB since Namath" thread?  Argued with all that he's really good. 

This off season the tin read Caviar.  Now he's not shocked by how shltty Fitz is playing, that he is what he is?  He expected nothing more.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

personally don't want him back? You don't know anything about me.

He wouldn't return next year because he is so disliked here. He's aware of all the boos, all the comments, all the teammates that wanted this stiff Fitzpatrick instead and the giddy celebration hen he was re-signed, all the teammates that didn't come to his defense in the locker room or in the papers after he got his jaw smashed in, the way his HC wouldn't put him in no matter how terrible Fitzpatrick played, and any other bad blood gripes we don't know about. The only reason he'd consider staying is if the Jets blew him away with an outbid-everyone offer they're simply not going to make. 

The Jets aren't re-signing him because they know how deeply unpopular he is with their fans and they have a pair of draftees and a veteran they've been trying to replace him with. Now they're just going to drop everything and MM has to go back to his boss and say they should stick with Smith on a new 3 year contracdt because he has a few good games in mopup duty after the hard part of the schedule is over and the season's in the toilet? This is simply unrealistic.

Petty is the classic go to nothing other than upon his return he's the only able bodied QB with a possible future here. The team clearly wants to go in another direction. They pressured themselves into re-signing this fraud because he put up some decent stats against joke competition and the team won 10 of their 13-14 pushover matchups. I don't think Smith would be doing as poorly as Fitz has been, but I do believe any loss, any pick, any fumble, any misfire that happened would have been received with cries of "If only we'd brought back Fitzpatrick like a smart franchise we'd have won 10 games again! Fitz doesn't make stupid mistakes like this. He went to Harvard! He went to Harvard!!!"

Bowles right now has enough of a PR problem without the added lightning storm of naming Geno the team's starting QB for the next 2-3 years, before fans can get an on-field look at either QB they drafted (in no small part because Bowles unnecessarily risked his QB's health in the last preseason game just like his predecessor). 

I think you're overstating the teams willingness to resign Geno if he plays well.  You need look no further than the awful QB Bowles trots out there every Sunday as evidence of someone who had "success" but the team wasn't gung ho about resigning.  They waited until 10 minutes before camp started and this was a guy who was idolized by our star receivers.

Anything less than an AFC East Championship game appearance and Geno would still be gone.  I'll take that "mess".

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The secondary already takes up nearly 35 million dollars of the salary cap and you want to allocate more money to that? Also, it's only 7 million dollars for the QB this year. And there was no chance this team was trotting Geno out there for a 3rd year. That's a had sell to the fans and to the veterans on the team. 

lol it's only $7M because we pushed $5M to next year? Is the secondary less expensive if we pushed $8M of the Revis cap number to next year?

And guess what: the fans and veterans make poor GMs. Fitz was a waste of money. So was the "QB of the defense" Harris, as well as Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, etc. And incidentally, though they don't hit the salary cap, Bowles and Maccagnan. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

personally don't want him back? You don't know anything about me.

He wouldn't return he is so disliked here. He's aware of all the boos, all the comments, all the teammates that wanted this stiff Fitzpatrick instead and the giddy celebration hen he was re-signed, all the teammates that didn't come to his defense in the locker room or in the papers after he got his jaw smashed in, the way his HC wouldn't put him in no matter how terrible Fitzpatrick played, and any other bad blood gripes we don't know about. The only reason he'd consider staying is if the Jets blew him away with an outbid-everyone offer they're simply not going to make. 

The Jets aren't re-signing him because they know how deeply unpopular he is with their fans and they have a pair of draftees and a veteran they've been trying to replace him with. Now they're just going to drop everything and MM has to go back to his boss and say they should stick with Smith on a new 3 year contracdt because he has a few good games in mopup duty after the hard part of the schedule is over and the season's in the toilet? This is simply unrealistic.

Petty is the classic go to nothing other than upon his return he's the only able bodied QB with a possible future here. The team clearly wants to go in another direction. They pressured themselves into re-signing this fraud because he put up some decent stats against joke competition and the team won 10 of their 13-14 pushover matchups. I don't think Smith would be doing as poorly as Fitz has been, but I do believe any loss, any pick, any fumble, any misfire that happened would have been received with cries of "If only we'd brought back Fitzpatrick like a smart franchise we'd have won 10 games again! Fitz doesn't make stupid mistakes like this. He went to Harvard! He went to Harvard!!!"

Bowles right now has enough of a PR problem without the added lightning storm of naming Geno the team's starting QB for the next 2-3 years, before fans can get an on-field look at either QB they drafted (in no small part because Bowles unnecessarily risked his QB's health in the last preseason game just like his predecessor). 

The goal is to find a franchise/starting QB if he plays well once given a chance why would you not bring him back just to go with the unknown? Where else can he go and get a legit chance to start? This is his best shot at being a starter. All that bad blood can be water under the bridge if he's given a shot, and after the way Fitzpatrick has looked many of the fans would be more patient with him now than say back in the preseason.

22 minutes ago, Pac said:

I think you're overstating the teams willingness to resign Geno if he plays well.  You need look no further than the awful QB Bowles trots out there every Sunday as evidence of someone who had "success" but the team wasn't gung ho about resigning.  They waited until 10 minutes before camp started and this was a guy who was idolized by our star receivers.

Anything less than an AFC East Championship game appearance and Geno would still be gone.  I'll take that "mess".

I think you're understating it. It's not just the players or the coaches or the GM. It's the fans. They are not deaf to the resounding boos they got when they announced Geno as the tentative starter if they couldn't come to an agreement with Fitz. This is when Woody the PR genius steps in and says it's not going to happen even if bringing back Fitz as the unquestioned starter is a bad football move (not that Woody would know that either).

On paper - even more so with the benefit of hindsight - it was better to only have Geno/Petty duke it out forthe starting job than handing it to Fitz, despite the naive cries of Fitz giving the team the best chance to win despite the evidence in front of their eyes showing he can't win against better competition.

I don't think much of Maccagnan right now, but he can't manage the team purely on paper. There are politics to his job and he must do this in the realm of this reality. That reality says the GM's job would have been more at risk just bringing back Geno and Petty (particularly after drafting Hackenberg, who's spending the season soiling his pampers), though that was a bed he more or less made himself anyway. There was a way to do it, but he's not skilled enough to paint Fitzpatrick's demands as ridiculous.  Especially after his fool of a HC announced Fitz as the starter before they even had him under contract.

29 minutes ago, August said:

The goal is to find a franchise/starting QB if he plays well once given a chance why would you not bring him back just to go with the unknown? Where else can he go and get a legit chance to start? This is his best shot at being a starter. All that bad blood can be water under the bridge if he's given a shot, and after the way Fitzpatrick has looked many of the fans would be more patient with him now than say back in the preseason.

Because they won't. Because this isn't a fantasy football roster where you do add/drops and play starter-matchups at QB without the pressure and scrutiny of the media, the fans, or the rest of the players.

You are simply wrong about any fans' patience and leeway that would be afforded to Smith. It isn't real. It would last until his first errant pass and no longer. The fans want Petty because he is an unknown. An unknown - or even the QB from their glorious 10 wins against sucky teams - is provided this leeway, not a disgraced QB with a penchant for publicly punching himself in the face when he's not getting his teammates to do it. 

And I say this as a fan that never wanted Fitz to return. At best I would have been ok with him returning at $7M because he'd then be paid as a good backup and I could rationalize keeping him on at that number for 2-3 seasons even if he wasn't the starter. 

15 hours ago, win4ever said:

How can you?  How could you?

The defense has yet to give Fitz double digit leads to make defenses desperate?  How can you perform when you are expected to score TDs?  Fitz ever the angles wizard, saw that Marshall was covered and calculated that if he hit the ball off the CBs hands, then Marshall would catch it.  He displayed some veteran leadership as well, having the troops fired up after halftime.  I'm worried the team won't be inspired by aloof Geno, and we won't be able to score in the second halves at our torrid pace.

^^^^Gold

I was talking with my bud and we said the plan was stopping the long ball and kicking field goals.  I can also include throwing picks in the EZ and having marshall steal it for a TD!

oh the humanity, Petty or Hack please

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think you're understating it. It's not just the players or the coaches or the GM. It's the fans. They are not deaf to the resounding boos they got when they announced Geno as the tentative starter if they couldn't come to an agreement with Fitz. This is when Woody the PR genius steps in and says it's not going to happen even if bringing back Fitz as the unquestioned starter is a bad football move (not that Woody would know that either).

On paper - even more so with the benefit of hindsight - it was better to only have Geno/Petty duke it out forthe starting job than handing it to Fitz, despite the naive cries of Fitz giving the team the best chance to win despite the evidence in front of their eyes showing he can't win against better competition.

I don't think much of Maccagnan right now, but he can't manage the team purely on paper. There are politics to his job and he must do this in the realm of this reality. That reality says the GM's job would have been more at risk just bringing back Geno and Petty (particularly after drafting Hackenberg, who's spending the season soiling his pampers), though that was a bed he more or less made himself anyway. There was a way to do it, but he's not skilled enough to paint Fitzpatrick's demands as ridiculous.  Especially after his fool of a HC announced Fitz as the starter before they even had him under contract.

So basically Macc and Bowles don't want to let Geno play because they risk looking foolish if he plays well?  

While fan perception is definitely important, I'd say that a 3 win season trotting out a horrible QB game after game is a worse look than 9-7 letting a guy start who doesn't have a high Q rating.

Just now, Pac said:

So basically Macc and Bowles don't want to let Geno play because they risk looking foolish if he plays well?  

While fan perception is definitely important, I'd say that a 3 win season trotting out a horrible QB game after game is a worse look than 9-7 letting a guy start who doesn't have a high Q rating.

No, they don't want Geno to play - or anyway they shouldn't at this point - because a few decent outings will keep Petty on the bench, and this will have longer lasting effects than this season. 

This season is over. It is over. There is no coming back to win the superbowl. Not with Fitz, not with Geno, not with Petty. The only thing that matters now, whether they appreciate it or not, is how aggressively they pursue another QB after this season is over.

And please. We aren't finishing with a 3-win season even if they kept Fitz in for all 16 games, just like we wouldn't automatically be a 2-win team if they went with Smith all season long from week 1, like his detractors repeated as though it was fact (the same people who predicted between 9 and 11 wins this season if we only brought back Ryan Fitzpatrick). 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because they won't. Because this isn't a fantasy football roster where you do add/drops and play starter-matchups at QB without the pressure and scrutiny of the media, the fans, or the rest of the players.

You are simply wrong about any fans' patience and leeway that would be afforded to Smith. It isn't real. It would last until his first errant pass and no longer. The fans want Petty because he is an unknown. An unknown - or even the QB from their glorious 10 wins against sucky teams - is provided this leeway, not a disgraced QB with a penchant for publicly punching himself in the face when he's not getting his teammates to do it. 

And I say this as a fan that never wanted Fitz to return. At best I would have been ok with him returning at $7M because he'd then be paid as a good backup and I could rationalize keeping him on at that number for 2-3 seasons even if he wasn't the starter. 

I highly doubt they say "wow Geno has looked good this year but we are gonna have to pass" that makes no sense. The goal is to find a starting QB and if this guy shows you the potential of being a starting QB you keep him. We are not in a position to pass on players that show us they could be a starter because a bunch of fans and media don't like him. And based on certain things you said this in this post it seems like you fall in the "I don't like him so I want him gone" boat. 

Fitz played a solid "Fitz game" yesterday. No mistakes, made some decent plays, and managed  a couple of decent scoring drives. That is who he is. The problem is we are supposed to be a great defense with a great running game. Creating turnovers, winning field position, giving our "game manager QB" great field position and pounding the ball on the ground.. Instead, we are now asking Fitz to be a franchise QB and to overcome a poor defense. That is not who he is. We, as a fan base, are asking him to do what he is simply not capable of doing and that's carry the franchise. 

With that said, Fitz is simply not the right QB for what this team has turned into. If we have an awful secondary, overrated LBers and a DL that is not as dominant as we thought then rolling FItz out there is a waste. We might as well go with Geno/Petty at this point. Maybe they make big plays, maybe they don't, but the one thing we do NOT need is a game manager. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What else is there to say, really?

Fitz has been a massive disappointment, along with our "Elite" Defense, Forte, our oil-hands WR's, fumbletastic Specials, etc.  Fitz has earned a benching, if we had better to replace to him with.  We don't.

Geno Smith is dogsh*t as a NFL QB, and I don't want to see him on the field for my team, simple as that.  I reject the Geno Smith fantasy some JN folks engage in as the retardation it is.  He's gone already, at some point people need to accept it.

Which leaves us Petty and Hack.  Petty is hurt, Hack isn't close to ready.

So I'd play Fitz till we're done, then Petty once he's back.  I'd cut the cancerous little **** that is Geno "Lol, Jets lost, twitter ftw!" Smith.  

In either case, I have no control, and as expected the cadre of Jets "Fans" taking great pat-their-own-back pleasure over our failed season makes me sick.  

So best of luck flogging the Geno argument.  I'm done.  

It's far more interesting to discuss our pathetic Defense, and how the unit that was supposed to drive this franchise is amongst the worst in the NFL this year.  

did you really just write a bunch of drivel to say you were 'done' talking about the subject you ALREADY said you were done talking about last night?? clearly, your word is not really your bond, now is it?

Along with an underperforming defense, the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick are issues of interest for MOST Jets fans. So, of course I'm likely to continue to comment, duh!!

you are welcome to comment on whatever. But please don't diminish your credibility with promises that you can't even keep for half a day.

1 hour ago, August said:

The goal is to find a franchise/starting QB if he plays well once given a chance why would you not bring him back just to go with the unknown? Where else can he go and get a legit chance to start? This is his best shot at being a starter. All that bad blood can be water under the bridge if he's given a shot.....

It's amazing the fantasy world some people live in, really.

Geno Smith could still be our Franchise QB, if only, if only, if only.....

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Good post, good to see it from that perspective.

I never realized how tortured Geno Smith must've been this past spring and summer with that going on.

It makes me happy.

SAR I

Poor Geno. We should start the Poor Geno Fan Club to show him our support. I never realized how unfair the NFL was. Atrocious just atrocious. As a gesture to heal the wounds, the Jets organization should put Geno's picture on bottles of green Kool-Aid; kind of like they do with pics of kids on milk cartons. And with the money they gather from this present Geno with a check for all the money he lost dropping down to the 2nd round and having his job unfairly stolen from him by Fitz the Scoundrel. Poor Geno, poor poor Geno. What will become of him. 

I was unable to watch this game live but i wasn't unhappy with the first half that i heard from the radio while trying to get back home. Was Fitz really that bad because i thought the first half went pretty well and the defense imploded on itself after that? Keep in mind this was a game no one expected us to win.

29 minutes ago, August said:

I highly doubt they say "wow Geno has looked good this year but we are gonna have to pass" that makes no sense. The goal is to find a starting QB and if this guy shows you the potential of being a starting QB you keep him. We are not in a position to pass on players that show us they could be a starter because a bunch of fans and media don't like him. And based on certain things you said this in this post it seems like you fall in the "I don't like him so I want him gone" boat. 

Right. I've had to endure 2 years of being labeled a Genolover precisely because I just don't like him for my irrational reasons. Exactly that.

Whatever he may or may not possess in terms of talent, he is not a leader. I think it was foolishness to bring back Fitzpatrick but even I readily acknowledged that quality isn't nothing just because there are no stats with which to monitor it. I was ok bringing Geno back as the starter at because I figured he'd be a faster vehicle to starting Petty than Fitz with this brutal schedule start.   

Giving him a few games is a waste of time. He is not returning next year. You want to tap into the "what if" of the perceived unknown, yet are speaking as though this unknown is more Smith than Petty. 

This team needs a franchise QB and that is not Geno. I don't think Smith is as bad as so many think he is, but he isn't the savior you seek. Further, it's obvious this team - the coaches, the GM, the owner, and the teammates - is done with him. Nobody talks to him during the game except the occasional backup player on defense. It is important to recognize this and not stick him in like shuffling starters on a fantasy football roster.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's amazing the fantasy world some people live in, really.

Geno Smith could still be our Franchise QB, if only, if only, if only.....

:rolleyes:

Barring devastating injury to Fitz or Petty, Geno Smith will never throw another pass for the Jets.  He is hated by millions of fans and does not represent the core values of the team.  Unless you want to call losing, stupidity, pouting, and selfishness Jets core values.  In that case, he's the perfect quarterback for us.  Perhaps that's why the Myhero's want him so badly.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I was unable to watch this game live but i wasn't unhappy with the first half that i heard from the radio while trying to get back home. Was Fitz really that bad because i thought the first half went pretty well and the defense imploded on itself after that? Keep in mind this was a game no one expected us to win.

Fitzpatrick and the offense had a good first half, they moved the ball well, they scored twice. 

The issue is that Pittsburgh made halftime adjustments to stop what we were doing and we didn't make any adjustments of our own.  Combine that with two of our starting WR's out hurt, an OL that can't run block, an ineffective Forte, dropped passes, and lousy playcalling and it's a recipe for disaster in a tough road stadium.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He is hated by millions of fans and does not represent the core values of the team.  Unless you want to call losing, stupidity, pouting, and selfishness Jets core values.  In that case, he's the perfect quarterback for us.  Perhaps that's why the Myhero's want him so badly.

You do realize you're describing Fitz right?

Just now, SAR I said:

Barring devastating injury to Fitz or Petty, Geno Smith will never throw another pass for the Jets.  He is hated by millions of fans and does not represent the core values of the team.  Unless you want to call losing, stupidity, pouting, and selfishness Jets core values.  In that case, he's the perfect quarterback for us.  Perhaps that's why the Myhero's want him so badly.

SAR I

There reaches a point in society when polarization becomes less about opposing views, facts and logic, and more about stupidity fueled by insecurity and the need to out-yell, rather then be right, to save face. Normally you have it on both sides, at the extremes, but in this particular instance there seems to be a monopoly on the Geno side.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick and the offense had a good first half, they moved the ball well, they scored twice. 

The issue is that Pittsburgh made halftime adjustments to stop what we were doing and we didn't make any adjustments of our own.  Combine that with two of our starting WR's out hurt, an OL that can't run block, an ineffective Forte, dropped passes, and lousy playcalling and it's a recipe for disaster in a tough road stadium.

SAR I

From that it sounds like this loss really isn't on Fitz then? I know alot of fans are getting frustrated and the QB is an easy person to blame for a loss but from the stats and from what i heard on the radio it sounded like Fitz played a good safe game which really is what he was all that he was expected to do.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Right. I've had to endure 2 years of being labeled a Genolover precisely because I just don't like him for irrational reasons. Exactly that.

Whatever he may or may not possess in terms of talent, he is not a leader. I think it was foolishness to bring back Fitzpatrick but even I readily acknowledged that quality isn't nothing just because there are no stats with which to monitor it. I was ok bringing him back as the starter because I figured he'd be a faster vehicle to starting Petty than Fitz.  

Put yourself back in July.  The Jets FO saw the same brutal early schedule that we all did, the Jets FO knew they could not throw Petty into the teeth of these playoff teams, they knew that Geno was already damaged goods and hadn't shown any improvement in OTA's or minicamp, so what exactly was the option?

Exactly.  There was only one option.  Bring back the guy that just set your record for TD's and offensive production in a season.  Better to roll the dice that the journeyman had another season of magic left in him than rot with Geno or get Petty killed.  The Jets had no other choice.  That's why Fitzpatrick is here. 

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Put yourself back in July.  The Jets FO saw the same brutal early schedule that we all did, the Jets FO knew they could not throw Petty into the teeth of these playoff teams, they knew that Geno was already damaged goods and hadn't shown any improvement in OTA's or minicamp, so what exactly was the option?

Exactly.  There was only one option.  Bring back the guy that just set your record for TD's and offensive production in a season.  Better to roll the dice that the journeyman had another season of magic left in him than rot with Geno or get Petty killed.  The Jets had no other choice.  That's why Fitzpatrick is here. 

SAR I

The FO and HC made their own messes. Time did not start in July. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Right. I've had to endure 2 years of being labeled a Genolover precisely because I just don't like him for my irrational reasons. Exactly that.

Whatever he may or may not possess in terms of talent, he is not a leader. I think it was foolishness to bring back Fitzpatrick but even I readily acknowledged that quality isn't nothing just because there are no stats with which to monitor it. I was ok bringing Geno back as the starter at because I figured he'd be a faster vehicle to starting Petty than Fitz with this brutal schedule start.   

Giving him a few games is a waste of time. He is not returning next year. You want to tap into the "what if" of the perceived unknown, yet are speaking as though this unknown is more Smith than Petty. 

This team needs a franchise QB and that is not Geno. I don't think Smith is as bad as so many think he is, but he isn't the savior you seek. Further, it's obvious this team - the coaches, the GM, the owner, and the teammates - is done with him. Nobody talks to him during the game except the occasional backup player on defense. It is important to recognize this and not stick him in like shuffling starters on a fantasy football roster.

Giving him a few games is not a waste of time. Again the goal is to find a starting/franchise QB. Seeing if he's matured and seeing how he looks in this offense makes sense. What you're talking about is simply based on emotions. "I don't like him so I want him gone". We are not asking him to be the savior either. That's a little unfair, if he plays well and the offense looks good/decent with him under center then that's a good thing. Because that would make the QB position somewhat less of a question mark, you can bring him back on a reasonable price and he can compete with Petty for the job next year. This team needs a long term QB and seeing if Smith has developed since the last time we saw him 2 years ago makes sense. You see what you have in house before discarding someone simply because of emotional reasons. Not saying that Smith is as much of an unknown as Petty. But we haven't seen him with this much talent and an offensive coordinator that can tailor the offense to his strengths. 

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

From that it sounds like this loss really isn't on Fitz then? I know alot of fans are getting frustrated and the QB is an easy person to blame for a loss but from the stats and from what i heard on the radio it sounded like Fitz played a good safe game which really is what he was all that he was expected to do.

Yeah, that's the tricky question.

If Joe Montana were under center yesterday and could have overcome his lousy defense and coaching and outdueled Ben Roethlisberger with 5 TD's and 400 yards passing of his own, yes, we could have won the game.  But we don't have that guy on the roster.  By Ryan Fitzpatrick standards, he had a good game.  25 for 38 255 yards 1 TD it's who he is.

So, the loss isn't on Ryan Fitzpatrick who was one of the only Jets to play up to his ability and level of expectation.

SAR I

Archived