Petty needs help

Jetster

After watching replays of the Jets offense the one thing that stood out to me was the awful play of the offensive line. Petty was under way to much duress when the Niners were rushing only three.

Im hoping Jet fans aren't looking at these next 3 games through the eye of a needle regarding Petty. There are so many factors that contribute to the success or failure of each play. Watching the Giants Cowboys game on Sunday night, I specifically zoned in on how much time Zak Prescott had in the pocket. Many times he had 5/6 seconds to scan the field. He was 1 of 15 on 3rd downs. Granted the Giants defense is miles better than the Niners but everything is relative regarding QB play.

The Oline is going have to really step up its game vs the Miami front or Petty won't have a chance. I believe our own defense will be the story of this game because field position will be imperative to our offense confidence. Playing behind our own 20 is a recipe for disaster for a young QB. Chan can take more chances if we can force the Fins to play off the LOS because Petty can push the ball down the field much farther & with more velocity than Fitz. Really, really looking forward to seeing some development with Petty getting all the reps in practice. 

Its going to benefit Petty greatly to get on the same page with Marshall & Enunwa instead of focusing in on Anderson. I'm sure they'll be some ugly football, but I just want to see Petty take charge & see if he can bring some excitement to the offense, that's contagious to the entire offensive unit. Fitz literally sucked the life out of everyone with his weak arm & bad decisions. Just pushing the ball down the field will be exciting for the Jet fans in attendance. Seeing the ball travel 40 yards on a rope is a lot of fun. Good luck Bryce, please don't get hurt behind this crappy Oline.

The declining performance of the OL seemed to become lost in all the Fitz hate/debate earlier in the season, but now that the whole Fitz v. Smith thing is in the rear view mirror except for a few die hards, it becomes increasingly clear how the OL is a problem.  Clady has not worked out replacing Ferguson, I think, Breno for all his faults had formerly stayed healthy but not this year, and Mangold has spent significant time banged up, now on IR.  Carpenter was a very nice addition last year, but hasn't done much.  I suppose Winters has been the sole improved player, which I admit to being surprised by.  And with Breno out not that he's a big loss the RT position remains a problem.

It will take a great deal to get this unit to the point where it will be a real help to whoever the starting Qb is for 17.

Agree

As pointed out in the Petty breakdown threads the 9'ers only rushed 3-4 guys most of the day, while dropping 7-8 into coverage, and were still getting big pressure on Petty.

One thing about Fitz is he got the ball out under 3 seconds or so.  Petty is throwing the ball up field, it just takes longer.

Petty did hold the ball to long at times, but all in all the OL was BAD.  They better do a better job the next few weeks or Petty will get killed.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the oline has been a problem but petty also needs to read the defense and make his throws faster.  many times he was just sitting there and the 49er player would come in and sack him.

He did at times hold the ball to long, but go through the 2 JN threads breaking down Petty.  The blocking was horrific against 3-4 guys

As an aside say what you want about Fitz and Gailey, they have covered up for oline issues the last few years with getting rid of the ball fast.  Hopefully Petty will get that internal clock in his head and throw it away if time runs out.  More than any other issue that is what sunk Geno smith.  He never improved with the internal clock or feeling the rush.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yep because the best way to develop a young, promising, developmental prospect is to change his coaching staff.

So, I guess you're saying that Gailey and Bowles have shown they have the skill to develop Petty?  My guess is that you "watch" our games in braille. 

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

So, I guess you're saying that Gailey and Bowles have shown they have the skill to develop Petty?  My guess is that you "watch" our games in braille. 

He's improved since last season and improved from start to start. Gailey has a reputation of getting results from Qbs and is not a noted qb killer. Consistency matters at this point in qb development.

The O-line clearly needs some help, no doubt.  But try to remember that we're playing #2's at three positions currently.

Hopefully Macc is smart enough to know  that Champions begin and end in the trenches (well, and at QB) and prioritises value O-line picks as they're possible/available in this coming draft.

A Mangold/Brick like pair of picks of solid 10-year O-linemen picks would be quite nice, but given out many weaknesses (and CB tops that list IMO) Macc may find he has more needs that picks available this time round, and have to play the "fill it with a veteran FA" game yet again.  Hopefully better than Clady played out (I get the rick, but it was pretty easy to see this coming).

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Its going to benefit Petty greatly to get on the same page with Marshall & Enunwa instead of focusing in on Anderson.

If it works don't fix it. Marshall doesn't give a flip about Petty. In the game that Petty replaced Fitz, there was a shot of Marshall on the sideline making route moves with his hands and who was he talking to? Fitz. Not Petty, who as a veteran he should have been propping up and telling him what routes he likes to run and is successful with, he was with Ol Pal Fitz. They can BOTH get the heck out of Dodge next season.

13 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

If it works don't fix it. Marshall doesn't give a flip about Petty. In the game that Petty replaced Fitz, there was a shot of Marshall on the sideline making route moves with his hands and who was he talking to? Fitz. Not Petty, who as a veteran he should have been propping up and telling him what routes he likes to run and is successful with, he was with Ol Pal Fitz. They can BOTH get the heck out of Dodge next season.

Depends on what the cap hit is on Brandon being cut. If it makes no sense financially why do it? He may come around, let's see if he shows up in Primetime on Saturday Night, Petty needs all the help he can get by WRs making great plays! You see other QBs getting bailed out all the time, Big Ben, Brady, Rogers just throwing into single coverage & asking their stars to go get the ball. Plus if Marshall stays engaged, he's almost always good for drawing a couple holding or PI calls.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

As an aside say what you want about Fitz and Gailey, they have covered up for oline issues the last few years with getting rid of the ball fast.  Hopefully Petty will get that internal clock in his head and throw it away if time runs out.  More than any other issue that is what sunk Geno smith.  He never improved with the internal clock or feeling the rush.

Beg to differ...Geno felt the rush even when it wasn't there.  That is why he will never be good as you can't teach fear out of someone.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The O-line clearly needs some help, no doubt.  But try to remember that we're playing #2's at three positions currently.

Hopefully Macc is smart enough to know  that Champions begin and end in the trenches (well, and at QB) and prioritises value O-line picks as they're possible/available in this coming draft.

A Mangold/Brick like pair of picks of solid 10-year O-linemen picks would be quite nice, but given out many weaknesses (and CB tops that list IMO) Macc may find he has more needs that picks available this time round, and have to play the "fill it with a veteran FA" game yet again.  Hopefully better than Clady played out (I get the rick, but it was pretty easy to see this coming).

This is going to be Maccs biggest challenge going forward. Do the Cowboys have an Online coming into RFA they want to trade for Sheldon? Dallas has a plethora of Olineman. Macc is gonna have to be really crafty to shore up this line for 2017. I would resign Winters (Carpenter/Winters at the guard spots). I would keep Wesley Johnson at Center (Hes done an admirable job) & I'd draft a center who can be moved to guard in a later round. Now you have 3 out of 5 starters.

So, he's going to have to sign a Tackle & draft a tackle. Who's available? Does Dallas have a guy we can acquire for Sheldon? I think we can shore up the line in 2017.

9 minutes ago, jets rooter said:

I said it before and I will say it again.Gaileys offensive schemes are easy to read.checkout his history.starting with buffalo.

No...

Why do that when it is so much easier to make stuff up out here on JN :)

You are very right......

Gailey has a rookie friendly system, and that was true in Buffalo and Pittsburgh as well.

The reason Fitzpatrick was able to get rid of the ball relatively quickly is because he only considered one receiver, stared him down ad nauseum, then forced the ball into that receiver whether he was triple covered or not,all within fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage.The only thing "offensive" about the pass protection and offensive pass schemes that we have with this joke of an "O.C" is the way he calls a game and the way it's implemented.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is going to be Maccs biggest challenge going forward. Do the Cowboys have an Online coming into RFA they want to trade for Sheldon? Dallas has a plethora of Olineman. Macc is gonna have to be really crafty to shore up this line for 2017. I would resign Winters (Carpenter/Winters at the guard spots). I would keep Wesley Johnson at Center (Hes done an admirable job) & I'd draft a center who can be moved to guard in a later round. Now you have 3 out of 5 starters.

So, he's going to have to sign a Tackle & draft a tackle. Who's available? Does Dallas have a guy we can acquire for Sheldon? I think we can shore up the line in 2017.

Sounds like a plan.  

Wesley Johnson might be the guy and I look forward to seeing Shell at rt this week.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mark got the fear forever put into him in 2011 against the Ravens and he was never the same guy. I hope to god our O-line doesn't make Petty forever jittery like that

The one thing I don't worry about with Petty is Sanchez's biggest flaw, Petty isn't a front runner. He can take a lick, make a mistake and his head doesn't hang. He has the same "I'm having fun" look on his face after every play, good or bad.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Wesley Johnson might be the guy and I look forward to seeing Shell at rt this week.

The one thing I don't worry about with Petty is Sanchez's biggest flaw, Petty isn't a front runner. He can take a lick, make a mistake and his head doesn't hang. He has the same "I'm having fun" look on his face after every play, good or bad.

So true! Fitz was starting to hang his head too. You can't LEAD a team if you don't keep fighting.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

After watching replays of the Jets offense the one thing that stood out to me was the awful play of the offensive line. Petty was under way to much duress when the Niners were rushing only three.

Im hoping Jet fans aren't looking at these next 3 games through the eye of a needle regarding Petty. There are so many factors that contribute to the success or failure of each play. Watching the Giants Cowboys game on Sunday night, I specifically zoned in on how much time Zak Prescott had in the pocket. Many times he had 5/6 seconds to scan the field. He was 1 of 15 on 3rd downs. Granted the Giants defense is miles better than the Niners but everything is relative regarding QB play.

The Oline is going have to really step up its game vs the Miami front or Petty won't have a chance. I believe our own defense will be the story of this game because field position will be imperative to our offense confidence. Playing behind our own 20 is a recipe for disaster for a young QB. Chan can take more chances if we can force the Fins to play off the LOS because Petty can push the ball down the field much farther & with more velocity than Fitz. Really, really looking forward to seeing some development with Petty getting all the reps in practice. 

Its going to benefit Petty greatly to get on the same page with Marshall & Enunwa instead of focusing in on Anderson. I'm sure they'll be some ugly football, but I just want to see Petty take charge & see if he can bring some excitement to the offense, that's contagious to the entire offensive unit. Fitz literally sucked the life out of everyone with his weak arm & bad decisions. Just pushing the ball down the field will be exciting for the Jet fans in attendance. Seeing the ball travel 40 yards on a rope is a lot of fun. Good luck Bryce, please don't get hurt behind this crappy Oline.

Well, that's what happens when you lost both offensive tackles and the center.

They really, really, really need to draft some O Linemen.  Really.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, that's what happens when you lost both offensive tackles and the center.

They really, really, really need to draft some O Linemen.  Really.

Really? 

But no, they do. 

Here's the thing I would do.

1. Sign a vet FA to play LT. Kalil?  Or maybe even hold on to Clady if he is healthy- rework his contract. 

2. Re-sign C/OG W.Johnson who is a RFA. Let Ijalana walk. Let Breno walk. Offer Winters a low-ball deal (with incentives), if he balks, let him walk.  

3. Draft an OT early. Mid-late first round via trade down or early 2nd round. I guy like Ramcyzk will probably be available. 

The Jets will have the left side of the line solidified with Clady, Carpenter and Mangold. The right side will see competition at OG between C.Watts, possibly Winters, W.Johnson, and D.Dozier. At RT we will have Ramcyzk competing with Shell and Qvale as well as whoever else they decide to bring in via FA or draft (depth). 

When it comes to re-building an O-line, you can't just put a bunch of young depth guys and/or rookies out there. It has to be a mix of vets and young players until you can build a unit of cohesive young talent. Especially when you have a young QB at the helm that will need a run game and solid pass protection just to function. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

As much as I think the OL needs help, I tend to agree that if one puts aside the Qb issue, CB is the unit most in need of help.

25 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Really? 

But no, they do. 

Here's the thing I would do.

1. Sign a vet FA to play LT. Kalil?  Or maybe even hold on to Clady if he is healthy- rework his contract. 

2. Re-sign C/OG W.Johnson who is a RFA. Let Ijalana walk. Let Breno walk. Offer Winters a low-ball deal (with incentives), if he balks, let him walk.  

3. Draft an OT early. Mid-late first round via trade down or early 2nd round. I guy like Ramcyzk will probably be available. 

The Jets will have the left side of the line solidified with Clady, Carpenter and Mangold. The right side will see competition at OG between C.Watts, possibly Winters, W.Johnson, and D.Dozier. At RT we will have Ramcyzk competing with Shell and Qvale as well as whoever else they decide to bring in via FA or draft (depth). 

When it comes to re-building an O-line, you can't just put a bunch of young depth guys and/or rookies out there. It has to be a mix of vets and young players until you can build a unit of cohesive young talent. Especially when you have a young QB at the helm that will need a run game and solid pass protection just to function. 

I say we move on from Clady & Mangold unless they sign for a LOT LESS than were slated 11 million & 9 million I believe,lol. If you don't resign Winters, you ask Jerry Jones to include Ron Leary in any trade involving Richardson. Leary is an upgrade over Winters immediately. I'm ok with Carpenter-Johnson- Leary in the middle. Wesley Johnson has been holding up strong at center. Petty was getting killed by Ijalana whiffing like the new Wayne Hunter.

Archived