Mo Wilk and Sheldon lack of sacks

AFJF

It sounds bad when you say they only have a combined 4 sacks.  Can't get much worse than that, right?

Well, if you look at the number of times they've rushed the passer and crunch the numbers, it's actually a lot worse.

-- Mo Wilk & Sheldon have a combined 789 pass-rush plays this season per PFF. They have combined for 4 sacks.  That's 1 per 197 snaps, or .005%

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

In Sheldon's defense sorta hard to focus on sacks when nobody is telling you "where da ho's at?"

Somebody needs to tell him they're standing behind the quarterback.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

LOL

I love these guys who make excuses for these over paid underachievers, yeah ok Kevin, down year, got it. I too enjoyed last night getting our brains bashed in on National TV yet again.

LOL

No excuses. I said "hope". He's been playing with a sore leg all year. That is a fact.

It's all but over for Sheldon he will be traded in the off-season and to be honest I'm really not hurt about that. We have a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders in Williams. He'll be our star and if Wilk still doesn't produce there will be consequences for him too. This defensive line is too talented to be playing like it's playing it sickens me

20 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's almost as if Snacks made the other defensive lineman around him better rather than the other way around. I don't think him leaving and it's trickle down impact has had can be overstated. 

Yet Snacks barely saw the field on passing downs.go figure.

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Doesn't seem to have hurt Leonard Williams. 

There are other factors in play, obviously, but I think no constant rock in the middle is not only missing but also has forced the others into positions that don't make the best use of their talent. 

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Yet Snacks barely saw the field on passing downs.go figure.

The majority of Mo's sacks last season came on 1st and second down. Go figure. 

27 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's almost as if Snacks made the other defensive lineman around him better rather than the other way around. I don't think him leaving and it's trickle down impact has had can be overstated. 

I think this is utter nonsense and a huge excuse.  Harrison was a top notch run stopper for sure if these two suck because they are missing a pure run stopping nt that badly then they are how they are playing....utter jags.  The guys we replaced harrsion with have done okay, mclendon has played well enough, simon when out there has been good, williams has been great almost every game.

No, their play is all about them being lazy, disruptive, no shows at meetings.  Mo wilk got paid and has loafed most of the year, richardson is a bad character nut.  Any excsuee handed to these two should be ignored,.  They have sucked most of the year.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I think this is utter nonsense and a huge excuse.  Harrison was a top notch run stopper for sure if these two suck because they are missing a pure run stopping nt that badly then they are how they are playing....utter jags.  The guys we replaced harrsion with have done okay, mclendon has played well enough, simon when out there has been good, williams has been great almost every game.

No, their play is all about them being lazy, disruptive, no shows at meetings.  Mo wilk got paid and has loafed most of the year, richardson is a bad character nut.  Any excsuee handed to these two should be ignored,.  They have sucked most of the year.

Correct.  And if the Jets gave a guy who needs another player next to him to be effective $90 million then they're dumber than I thought.

22 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It's two-fold. Neither one are nearly as good as Jets fans think, and time and time again it has proven out that DT's are never worth a blockbuster contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they have an impact like Kris Jenkins.  That guy was MUCH better than Wilkerson and Richardson.

Unless they have an impact like Kris Jenkins.  That guy was MUCH better than Wilkerson and Richardson.

DT's very rarely have a long sustained high level career. A DT can go from being a stud to completely invisible season to season. And that's not even including injuries. It is not a position that can be counted on. The best course of action is to draft them and trade them and draft again. Tying up the money we just have to Wilk makes no sense. A run stuffer with avg pass rushing ability just does not carry value at a high price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The run defense is basically the same. 

While I cannot defend Sheldon's off the field shenanigans, he's a 300+ pound DT who is playing 7 and 8 technique way outside. Mo is playing similar.  The team has 3 awesome DT and only 1 or perhaps 2 DT roles to play them in. They need to pick up a legit pass rusher from the edge, and trade one of the three DT. 

Richardson was playing out of position for a good portion of the season, and he is double teamed almost every down so he has a bit of an excuse imo.  After the first few games I think teams realized Mo wasn't as good this year, so they've single teamed him more often.

Frankly, Williams and Mo are the beneficiaries of single coverage the most, so logically one would think they would have the most sacks, but Mo in particular has really disappointed and I bet he has some sort of bad injury that he isn't disclosing.

I'll give Mo a mulligan for ths year playing hurt...funny I recall coming on this site prior to mo getting hurt and seeing every other thread saying jets should jus pay the man.

Macc will need to pull off magic to get anything worth trafing for Sheldon.  I think ultimately sheldon plays out his contract and walks amd jets settle for a comp pick.

I think it's that Richardson makes the rest of the DL worse. I do believe that Wilkerson is hurt, he doesn't set the edge like he used to. He appears to be playing effectively only on one side of his body. Richardson is playing out of position often, but, really, when he's playing IN position he hasn't done anything.

I would like the Jets to let him play out his contract, HERE. The Jets get him playing hard for an entire year and that's more than they would probably get in trade and definitely more than they would get if they paid him.

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Correlation is not causation, tough sell considering that guy was off the field for nearly half the D snaps. He's arguably not even the Giants' best DT with Hankins over there.

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

It sounds bad when you say they only have a combined 4 sacks.  Can't get much worse than that, right?

Well, if you look at the number of times they've rushed the passer and crunch the numbers, it's actually a lot worse.

-- Mo Wilk & Sheldon have a combined 789 pass-rush plays this season per PFF. They have combined for 4 sacks.  That's 1 per 197 snaps, or .005%

I don't get how it's "crunching the numbers" when (A) you butcher the math, and (B) you don't compare it to anything.

Just now, thshadow said:

I don't get how it's "crunching the numbers" when (A) you butcher the math, and (B) you don't compare it to anything.

Fair point.  I'm terrible at math, so I guess they haven't been that bad after all.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Fair point.  I'm terrible at math, so I guess they haven't been that bad after all.

I'm just saying, even if you did the math right, presenting the number as a percent doesn't really add anything.  i shouldn't criticize someone like you who's actually posting good content, but the interesting part of presenting a number like that would be to compare it to others.

I mean, clearly that number is terrible, but now I'm curious how it compares to even mediocre pass rushers.

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

I'm just saying, even if you did the math right, presenting the number as a percent doesn't really add anything.  i shouldn't criticize someone like you who's actually posting good content, but the interesting part of presenting a number like that would be to compare it to others.

I mean, clearly that number is terrible, but now I'm curious how it compares to even mediocre pass rushers.

Yep...I almost left it as 4 sacks on 789 snaps.  Thought the .005% looked wrong, but wasn't overly concerned because the sacks per snap illustrated how bad they've been.  Must've fat-fingered one of the digits on the calculator.

But even if I hadn't, Mo and Sheldon do a better job of getting to the QB than I do at math.

Archived