Blake Bortles - the reclamation project?

Integrity28

Speaking Monday, Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said there will be no "mandate" for the team's new coach to stick with Blake Bortles at quarterback, but that he "still (believes) in Blake."

The reality is, Caldwell couldn't really say anything different, and that Bortles will almost certainly be under center at the start of next season. (He's starting the final two games this season.) Caldwell's comments do indicate that Bortles is losing the benefit of the doubt, and that 2017 will be a make-or-break year. Bortles' game has become an absolute mess, with his mechanics needing to be reworked from the ground up. Those kind of reclamation projects are rarely successful.

It's amazing to me, sometimes, how easy it is to lose sight of the fine line between being a productive player and a washout. As the Jets try to develop a QB amongst the two they've rostered the past 2 years, the Jaguars took one at the top of the draft and steadily damaged him over time... rather than building on where he was entering the league. 

I guess, if Hack ends up not working out, at least he only comes at the cost of a 2nd rounder... could you imagine investing several years into Bortles and then seeing this... ???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's amazing to me, sometimes, how easy it is to lose sight of the fine line between being a productive player and a washout. As the Jets try to develop a QB amongst the two they've rostered the past 2 years, the Jaguars took one at the top of the draft and steadily damaged him over time... rather than building on where he was entering the league. 

I guess, if Hack ends up not working out, at least he only comes at the cost of a 2nd rounder... could you imagine investing several years into Bortles and then seeing this... ???

More or less the story with Sanchez. We invested the time but not much in the way of other resources.

8 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Draft picks are a crap shoot. You never know if they will make it in the NFL. Can't imagine the Jets going for another QB in 17 draft.

And this has been a worry of some of us.  Most of us agree that at the every top of the draft the Qb class is not there but there is a pretty good chance one of these guys may fall to round two.  I'd much rather have a shot of one of the Qb's names being kicked around in round two this year than Hackenburg.  Remember the Raiders got Carr in early round 2.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

so_good.png

Mmmm the sound of good logic and rational thinking is refreshing.

I was very invested in the jaguars last season (fantasy football is great for many reasons, one of them is paying attention to teams that you normally wouldn't care about, I had Allen robinson) and I watched a lot of their games. If you looked at his stats last year you would have thought that he was well on his way to being a stud. But boy Oh boy this one of those cases where stats are misleading. This guy looked pedestrian for 3 quarters a lot of the time and then just put up garbage time stats in the 4th playing from behind and throwing it a lot. I mean, I don't remember the numbers but I would go ahead and put money on it that he probably finished top 5 in attempts just because they were always playing from behind. Not too mention I remember a ton of tds thrown in the 4th quarter with most of them that didn't matter. He just looked like to me a Qb that looked the part and can throw through a brick wall but no finesse. Albeit I have no jags on my Fantasy team this year so I have no input on what he has done this year. Looks like nothing good. 

Edit: also forgot to add, this guy has serious weapons to. It's not a lack weapons, I mean maybe the oline could use some help, but this guy has weapons for days. No excuses 

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but doesn't that sound a lot like what will happen is Bowles comes back next year and fails out like this year? Cripples a franchise for years thereafter.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Jets fans have no legs to stand on. Did you forget Sanchez? 

1 hour ago, jett said:

I was very invested in the jaguars last season (fantasy football is great for many reasons, one of them is paying attention to teams that you normally wouldn't care about, I had Allen robinson) and I watched a lot of their games. If you looked at his stats last year you would have thought that he was well on his way to being a stud. But boy Oh boy this one of those cases where stats are misleading. This guy looked pedestrian for 3 quarters a lot of the time and then just put up garbage time stats in the 4th playing from behind and throwing it a lot. I mean, I don't remember the numbers but I would go ahead and put money on it that he probably finished top 5 in attempts just because they were always playing from behind. Not too mention I remember a ton of tds thrown in the 4th quarter with most of them that didn't matter. He just looked like to me a Qb that looked the part and can throw through a brick wall but no finesse. Albeit I have no jags on my Fantasy team this year so I have no input on what he has done this year. Looks like nothing good. 

Edit: also forgot to add, this guy has serious weapons to. It's not a lack weapons, I mean maybe the oline could use some help, but this guy has weapons for days. No excuses 

Why isn't he leading the league in catches, yards and TDs this year then? Its not like they've been competitive.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And this has been a worry of some of us.  Most of us agree that at the every top of the draft the Qb class is not there but there is a pretty good chance one of these guys may fall to round two.  I'd much rather have a shot of one of the Qb's names being kicked around in round two this year than Hackenburg.  Remember the Raiders got Carr in early round 2.

I guess if next year becomes a total rebuild then the Jets could go out and get another drafted QB. But I don't know if the Jets have the ability to develop a QB without a vet to groom them. They haven't been able to for many years under many different coaching staffs. Maybe they need to hire Payton as the QB coach or OC.

21 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but doesn't that sound a lot like what will happen is Bowles comes back next year and fails out like this year? Cripples a franchise for years thereafter.

If either QB suddenly becomes a beast, then Bowles is most likely going to look like a good coach. It takes a truly horrible coach to out-suck the veil of protection they get from a legit QB. It happens.

Either way, I wasn't really discussing HC. 

18 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Jets fans have no legs to stand on. Did you forget Sanchez? 

Sanchez has nothing to do with my post. I was comparing the cost of Hack versus Bortles. If you'd like to make the discussion pedantic and trite, then I supposed we could open it up to being about who ruined their top 5 QB pick in the more ruin-ey way. 

Bortles was a top pick and has several years invested in him, and he's basically being talked about the same way as Hack. Rebuild mechanics from ground up. The comparison is isolated to the two of them, because of the similar need to "fix" them, but the distinct investment difference between them. Sanchez is old news. 

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Sanchez has nothing to do with my post. I was comparing the cost of Hack versus Bortles. If you'd like to make the discussion pedantic and trite, then I supposed we could open it up to being about who ruined their top 5 QB pick in the more ruin-ey way. 

Bortles was a top pick and has several years invested in him, and he's basically being talked about the same way as Hack. Rebuild mechanics from ground up. The comparison is isolated to the two of them, because of the similar need to "fix" them, but the distinct investment difference between them. Sanchez is old news. 

Bortles was also on the heels of the Gabbert debacle - another top 10 pick.  Everyone is always clamoring for the franchise QB but you can't arbitrarily pick QB's in the top 10 just because.   Passing on Carr and maybe Garrapolo are going to be the ones that got away.   

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

? Hello! Mark ******* Sanchez.

5 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

More or less the story with Sanchez. We invested the time but not much in the way of other resources.

When you don't have an organization that doesn't know what it is doing you end up doing stupid things like what the Jets did. 

Think Dak has the finest OL in the game coupled with one of the best running games in the league, Jets don't do stuff like that  

By year three Sanchez had Hunter and guys who couldn't be on a good CFL team to throw to.  

People think Romo and now Dak are flukes, no they are not.   It's the difference between a good organization and a poor one. 

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think its closer to the jags are a very team with a sh!t qb.

A very team....makes sense.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually, he's a shltty QB on any team you put him on

So its Bortles fault the Jags defense is close to last every season.

He had a breakout year last year only his second in the league.

The Jets have nothing resembling him on the roster.

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You don't want Bortles.  Not only are his mechanics messed up he can't read defenses.

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

A very team....makes sense.

So its Bortles fault the Jags defense is close to last every season.

He had a breakout year last year only his second in the league.

The Jets have nothing resembling him on the roster.

Resembling what?  Fitz also had a statistically good year last season facing an easy schedule

15 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Draft picks are a crap shoot. You never know if they will make it in the NFL. Can't imagine the Jets going for another QB in 17 draft.

that is why we have to draft a QB, never know how a 4th or 6th rounder will turn out.

14 hours ago, jett said:

That's for sure. Bortles is a classic 'garbage time' QB. SUcks for three quarters then 'rallies' his team when down by 20.

Archived