Mangold can't stay

Jetster

Nick Mangold was a great Jet but this idea by some fans to redo his contract is asinine. We save 9 million dollars moving on. We need a more athletic center in this new NFL. Rex is gone, ground & pound is gone and I've seen enough games over the last 2 years to see its time to move on from Nick.

Last year vs the Eagles, a no name DT has his way with Mangold and ruined the game for our offense. One of the worst traits that this organization has is not knowing when to say when. 

One of my other reasons to say Sayanara is that Nick was one of the triplets (Nick-Marshall-Decker) campaigning for Fitzy. I understand it, they had no confidence in Petty, but going forward now, we really don't need any of them. If I'm Macc I'm letting it be known that Marshall & Decker are available for trade. Let Petty- Hack- maybe Glennon? Develop with all these young WRs that WILL be part of our future. Look at the Dolphins, they drafted Landry- Parker- and then picked up Stills on a reasonable contract. 

Every year there are 2nd level WRs available in free agency. I think Macc learned his lesson regarding free agency, and to build properly Woody has to let Macc know he's on board this young team building bandwagon so Macc isn't forced to make hasty win now decisions. No more older veteran bandaids! Every targeted free agent should be young enough to be part of our turnaround. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

One of my other reasons to say Sayanara is that Nick was one of the triplets (Nick-Marshall-Decker) campaigning for Fitzy. I understand it, they had no confidence in Petty, but going forward now, we really don't need any of them. If I'm Macc I'm letting it be known that Marshall & Decker are available for trade. Let Petty- Hack- maybe Glennon? Develop with all these young WRs that WILL be part of our future. Look at the Dolphins, they drafted Landry- Parker- and then picked up Stills on a reasonable contract. 

Every year there are 2nd level WRs available in free agency. I think Macc learned his lesson regarding free agency, and to build properly Woody has to let Macc know he's on board this young team building bandwagon so Macc isn't forced to make hasty win now decisions. No more older veteran bandaids! Every targeted free agent should be young enough to be part of our turnaround. 

Agree with Mangold and Marshall, but Decker has been a good soldier and can help a young QB because he can get open, unlike some of the other WR's on the team. I also agree no more veteran band aids. This team has an age gap that has caused a lot of problems and the older guys need to go so the young ones can develop on their own. Marshall is no kind of leader, he drops too many balls and doesn't seem to care when he does.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Agree with Mangold and Marshall, but Decker has been a good soldier and can help a young QB because he can get open, unlike some of the other WR's on the team. I also agree no more veteran band aids. This team has an age gap that has caused a lot of problems and the older guys need to go so the young ones can develop on their own. Marshall is no kind of leader, he drops too many balls and doesn't seem to care when he does.

Decker did not stay healthy and may not be ready for OTA's and PS. Trade him for a pick 

13 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Decker held out of camp in order to ensure we overpay Fitzpatrick.  Not the sign of a good soldier.  It's the sign of a selfish person and player - Add that to him being injury prone and I say good riddance.  

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

How awesome is it that Fitzy's biggest cheerleaders - Mangold, Decker, and Marshall, are all on the chopping block.

a few of us tried to warn you but noooo...  you wanted the conquering hero.  Well how's that taste?

THIS. History is a great measuring stick and history tells us FITZ sucks.  yet our weak minded management team is unwilling to do a rebuild so we get stuck with the REAL Fitz.    

Move on. Nothing overly emotional about it really. Nick isnt the same player and should have retired with Brick last offseason. Better yet, it was the Jets job to move on from Nick whether he retired or not. Staying with guys such as Nick, Revis, Harris etc. has never been a wise decision. Im surprised we actually didnt resign Calvin Pace given the Jets lack of ability to move on from a player. 

We should have been picking offensive line for atleast the past two seasons. Now we're in a position where we have no Center, Left Tackle or Right Tackle. Winters at RG is adequate and Carpenter is solid at LG, but how the hell do we expect to be drafting all of these QB's and we cant even protect them? 

This offensive line has been recklessly neglected along with the RB posiiton. The last time the Jets were ANY GOOD, we had Brick in his prime, Faneca, Mangold in his prime, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody. WTF is so hard about recognizing that when you build an offense you build from the inside out starting with the offensive line....not drafting 50 freaking quarterbacks then trying to move on the moment they have a bad season (which is pretty much every season) given the lack of talent around them.

The Jets will be good again when they establish a good offensive line. Until then all they will do is attempt to tread water in an effort to stave off the inevitable. 

Build the freaking Oline  AND THEN search for a young franchise QB in the draft. Also, start cutting some of these other guys like Dakota Dozier. Dozier was a 2014 draft pick, if you cant get on the field after 3 seasons then you need to find work elsewhere. Quit it with all of this free lunch. 

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Move on. Nothing overly emotional about it really. Nick isnt the same player and should have retired with Brick last offseason. Better yet, it was the Jets job to move on from Nick whether he retired or not. Staying with guys such as Nick, Revis, Harris etc. has never been a wise decision. Im surprised we actually didnt resign Calvin Pace given the Jets lack of ability to move on from a player. 

We should have been picking offensive line for atleast the past two seasons. Now we're in a position where we have no Center, Left Tackle or Right Tackle. Winters at RG is adequate and Carpenter is solid at LG, but how the hell do we expect to be drafting all of these QB's and we cant even protect them? 

This offensive line has been recklessly neglected along with the RB posiiton. The last time the Jets were ANY GOOD, we had Brick in his prime, Faneca, Mangold in his prime, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody. WTF is so hard about recognizing that when you build an offense you build from the inside out starting with the offensive line....not drafting 50 freaking quarterbacks then trying to move on the moment they have a bad season (which is pretty much every season) given the lack of talent around them.

The Jets will be good again when they establish a good offensive line. Until then all they will do is attempt to tread water in an effort to stave off the inevitable. 

Build the freaking Oline  AND THEN search for a young franchise QB in the draft. Also, start cutting some of these other guys like Dakota Dozier. Dozier was a 2014 draft pick, if you cant get on the field after 3 seasons then you need to find work elsewhere. Quit it with all of this free lunch. 

What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you making so much sense? Fitznutz have no idea what you're talking about. 

Correction there fellas. We've drafted plenty of OL recently. Just not in the first round. And the ones we did draft? They stink. The one that looked serviceable, we let him walk to the Bears (Slauson). Cowboys didn't just figure out how to win in the NFL. The entire leagues knows for decades you need a solid OL to win.

41 minutes ago, Pac said:

How awesome is it that Fitzy's biggest cheerleaders - Mangold, Decker, and Marshall, are all on the chopping block.

a few of us tried to warn you but noooo...  you wanted the conquering hero.  Well how's that taste?

Hold onto this moment forever and ever, and maybe one day... you'll become princess of all the land.

29 minutes ago, Larz said:

He gets to stay as long as he wants. It's one thing to not extend him, and another to cut him

What? Mangold has been getting paid top dollar coin for YEARS now. If you honestly believe he'll play for anything less & be a good soldier I've got a bridge to sell you.

If Macc redoes Mangold at his age & pushes money into the future he should be fired. I swear Jet fans are ridiculous in their love affair with players. I don't even know what that means (He stays as long as he wants?) Hes a f*cking old fat center for cripes sake! He's not a NFL game changer. Jet fans forget that the Saints won a Super Bowl with a guy we just let walk away because we didn't think he was any good, Jonathon Goodwin,lol. This team is a freaking joke.

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You can build the OL and search for a QB simultaneously.

The mindset that you can't have B until you have A ignores the random nature of the league, as it pertains to which players will suck and which won't.

Totally agree with your premise, but sequencing really doesn't have to be this formulaic. 

I don't know about getting rid of Nick so fast. He's been injured and some people if you don't produce right now have no tolerance for the player and only want to get rid of them. I'm not so sure he's finished as a player. We've had problems over the years even competing when he's not in the lineup. I'd go along with the CS on this one. Let them look at the film and see if he is still effective when he plays and is healthy. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl just last year. Overall I'd keep him. 

55 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Decker did not stay healthy and may not be ready for OTA's and PS. Trade him for a pick 

Agreed, Decker plays best inside but that's also where you get hit & he's proven although he looks the part, he's more like fine china. Left him get hurt playing for another team & get a pick for him. Probably would be tough to get a 4. When he commented on the Petty situation I thought, here we go, locker room lawyers are never a good thing. You really have to admire Belichick that way, he really does understand & train the players to say nothing to the media. Hell, he sat Welker down for a bit for disrespecting Rex. Its hard to believe at one time he was in line to coach the Jets,lol, man, how the hell did I fall for the Jets as a child? Damn Namath.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know about getting rid of Nick so fast. He's been injured and some people if you don't produce right now have no tolerance for the player and only want to get rid of them. I'm not so sure he's finished as a player. We've had problems over the years even competing when he's not in the lineup. I'd go along with the CS on this one. Let them look at the film and see if he is still effective when he plays and is healthy. Didn't he make the Pro Bowl just last year. Overall I'd keep him. 

Pro Bowl is BS. Mangold was just another average center last year. His best days are well behind him & he's put weight on every year now for 5 years. Johnson hasn't played poorly, in fact in graded out really well last week. Suh is beasting again, you guys know Suh plays when he wants to, he mailed it in last year when they were out of it just like Mo & Revis are doing this year.

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

no doubt about culling the old guys.  i'd be careful about putting marshall and decker in with this crowd though.  the young receivers aren't quite there yet and both marshall and decker have fairly cheap contracts.  they also have a short shelf life. hopefully the jets can get a lt in the draft and then some oline depth in later rounds.  iajalana, johnson, shell and qvale may surprise once they start getting the reps.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Decker held out of camp in order to ensure we overpay Fitzpatrick.  Not the sign of a good soldier.  It's the sign of a selfish person and player - Add that to him being injury prone and I say good riddance.  

Selfish is defined as acting for oneself. His holdout was to get Fitzpatrick paid. He potentially sacrificed money to help someone else out. So technically that was a selfless move.

His loyalty to the Jets however, could be questioned.

26 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You can build the OL and search for a QB simultaneously.

The mindset that you can't have B until you have A ignores the random nature of the league, as it pertains to which players will suck and which won't.

Totally agree with your premise, but sequencing really doesn't have to be this formulaic. 

Sure you can, generally. But why are we looking to draft a qb after drafting Hack in the 2nd last season? If he needs further development then fine but use the high draft picks on the Oline, the cap on a free agent qb like Glennon, and mid-to-late round picks on another qb IF Petty is useless. 

Generally I agree with you, but specifically with the jets, the already have 3 QB's on rookie deals and will most likely lose 1 that they never built anything around...and when they did decided to squander it on Fitz. Even with that, that was only with wide receivers but nothing at the Oline outside of carpenter. 

The Oline imo is more important at this point because they have atleast have 1 qb that this franchise has invested in. Drafting a qb high basically throws away our 2nd round pick last year as well as passing on a top lineman.

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no doubt about culling the old guys.  i'd be careful about putting marshall and decker in with this crowd though.  the young receivers aren't quite there yet and both marshall and decker have fairly cheap contracts.  they also have a short shelf life. hopefully the jets can get a lt in the draft and then some oline depth in later rounds.  iajalana, johnson, shell and qvale may surprise once they start getting the reps.

I would keep Marshall and deal Deck. He's injury prone and isn't better than Marshall when healthy

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

2017 is going to be another down year.  We don't need Marshall and Decker for that.  If we can get a picks for each of them then it's practically a no brainer to move them.  

Wesley Johnson almost got Petty killed. I would like to see the Jets bring Mangold back at a renegotiated price. If they find a center in the draft or free agency, Mangold could be good veteran depth.

Also, the Jets run a power run blocking scheme now so I see them getting a big, powerful center rather than an athletic one. If there is a choice. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I would keep Marshall and deal Deck. He's injury prone and isn't better than Marshall when healthy

Why keep any veteran player that's not "on board" per se. Veterans aren't stupid, this team has zero chance next year. We're the Browns, Jags, Bears of the league. If we could pocket 15 million by trading Marshall & Decker, now is the time. Did you guys watch the lazy efforts by Marshall? It ain't getting better next year when going into the season we have no chance. Many, many people thought the Jets could compete this year if Fitz had a repeat.

Going into 2017 there is no such fantasy by anyone that the Jets will be a team to contend with. Do you know how hard it is for Vets to know their fate before it happens? This has got to be a COMPLETE overhaul with Macc continuing to draft smart hustling ball players. If you look at some of the young players on this team Macs has chosen, they are good smart players who seem to care. We just need more of them. The cancer on this team are the veterans who either have chosen not to play at 100% or they've decided to shut it down because they are injured.

You don't see one franchise in the playoff race with 15/16 guys on IR like the Jets. The Bears are playing with a bunch of youngins that are still hustling their azzes off playing some close games. No, the only way you turn things around now is to keep drafting BPAs & only sign younger free agents that hit the market & look for gems in the UDFA market like Macc did hitting on Anderson, hopefully maybe Middleton too. I would see if I could swing a Sheldon for Ron Leary trade with Jerry Jones. Leary wants to get paid & we need to upgrade this Oline BIG TIME. Leary knows what it takes to be on a great line & can bring great experience to a guy like Wesley Johnson.

You would have Carpenter-Johnson-Leary, not a bad start! Look for the best you can do in Free agency & the draft at the Tackle spots. Draft a stud RB to take some pressure off of our young QBs whoever we go with & start developing a team that gets better TOGETHER each week, win or lose. The team we are watching now has disintegrated before our damn eyes. Its tough to rate our young players because the vets are sucking azz around our youth.

36 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Selfish is defined as acting for oneself. His holdout was to get Fitzpatrick paid. He potentially sacrificed money to help someone else out. So technically that was a selfless move.

His loyalty to the Jets however, could be questioned.

It wasn't because he was Fitz's friend.  He felt Fitz was a good QB....which is better for him (hence Selfish) - He's not being paid to make Personnel decisions.

I will add, even if he didn't believe Fitz was any good but held out for him because he wanted his friend to get paid - that is still Selfish...Doing something outside of the scope of his role as WR, to force the hand of the organization to pay YOUR friend is still selfish.

28 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Wesley Johnson almost got Petty killed. I would like to see the Jets bring Mangold back at a renegotiated price. If they find a center in the draft or free agency, Mangold could be good veteran depth.

Also, the Jets run a power run blocking scheme now so I see them getting a big, powerful center rather than an athletic one. If there is a choice. 

He made 1 mistake. He's graded out very well. Suh is a beast right now.

No doubt Mangold's play has dropped off in the last few years. However, an important thing you lose by cutting him are the years of experience.

The center is responsible for all of the line blocking calls. Our young qb's are going to need all of the help they can get. Mangold would be able to help identify blitzes and help shift the pass protections. 

The Jets will have to decide whether he brings enough "intangibles" to the line to justify coming back.

57 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

EVERYONE...

Decker is NOT injury prone. Stop with this nonsense already. A guy gets a season ending injury and he is automatically labeled injury prone. This is asinine. Milliner was injury prone. He had multiple surgeries in college and could barely get on the field in the pros. Decker is a big receiver who knows how to get open, has good hands and can play outside or in the slot. He is critical to the Jets offense and it makes absolutely no sense to cut him. Marshall is still very very good as well. All of this locker room 'bad leader' talk is BS. Stop it already. You don't know how the players or the coaches view Decker as far as the locker room goes. He is FAR from the type of distractions we see in the NFL these days. Just stop with the nonsense. Cutting Marshall only makes sense b/c of the huge cap savings, his age, and teh fact that the Jets have some nice young WRs with potential. Otherwise, he is still the #1 WR on a lot of NFL teams, including the Jets. 'He had some drops and seems to not care'- WHAT???? THAT'S the reasoning for cutting him. STOP IT ALREADY. 

Decker career games played:

2010: 14

2011: 16

2012: 16

2013: 16

2014: 15

2015: 15

2016: 3

Sheesh, just look it up and stop talking out of your ARSES. 

Rant over. I love you all. 

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Well they resigned Kyle Friend to the PS again I don't know if he'll ever make it in the Pro's but he's a really strong dude..:)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kyle-friend?id=2556120

Archived