Despite the Ugly Rumor Jets Still In Glennon Hunt!!!!!

Charlie Brown

That is right Jets fans.  

The Jets have not walked away from Glennon yet though signs don't appear overly promising for those like me who want him here.  I will say for the record I believe that the Jets will regret not getting  him when we could have... :)

In any event here are the reported facts... 

http://nypost.com/2017/03/07/jets-are-not-fully-out-of-crazy-mike-glennon-sweepstakes/amp/

Jets are not fully out of crazy Mike Glennon sweepstakes

The Mike Glennon Sweepstakes began on Tuesday, and they might be a little too pricey for the Jets.

The team still has interest in the free-agent quarterback, according to a source, but are committed to not overpaying Glennon. The Jets believe the Bears are ready to pay Glennon big bucks, which would cause the Jets to look elsewhere for their quarterback.

There was a report from CSN Chicago on Tuesday that the Jets had dropped out of the bidding for Glennon, but a source said that was not true yet. They are still monitoring the situation.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think Glennon has potential, it's not worth the risk for a rebuilding team. The reason someone like Glennon or Osweiller get big money is the immediate impact. There shouldn't be a need for developmental time. The QB gets paid because teams believe there is talent there and enough experience that he can contribute soon.

Our case isn't the same. We are in the middle of a rebuild, which means we have to hit on the small percentage that Gelnnon is a super star, while risking the high percentage that he's average, while also risking that he could be horrible.

If we were like the Texans, relatively young team that has no QB but enough talent in a weak division to make the playoffs, then sure. Otherwise, we're essentially taking a lottery ticket and paying through the nose.

I'd rather roll with Petty/Hack at a cheap rate and see if they could develop. The chances aren't as high as Glennon's of being good, but the cost is small as well going forward (factoring in sunk cost of picks).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sounds more like the Jets and all of those other teams said that they were out and Glennons agent threw a full-blown, panic mode, BS story out into the wind because now there is very little competition for his player's services and, therefore, next to nothing in terms of leverage for him to negotiate/strike a big money deal.  The Bears would be beyond stupid to give anything over 12mil per year at this point.

all depends on the money.  all of these qb's have good arm strength and accuracy or they wouldn't be playing in the nfl at all.  the difference is in mental attitude.  if glennon is honest about wanting to be starter and more importantly winning then he might be the right guy.  but at the same time he has a limited body of work.  hoyer has similar stats but has been on a number of teams.  to me it means he can adapt better.  he's also played against a larger number of teams.

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

While I think Glennon has potential, it's not worth the risk for a rebuilding team. The reason someone like Glennon or Osweiller get big money is the immediate impact. There shouldn't be a need for developmental time. The QB gets paid because teams believe there is talent there and enough experience that he can contribute soon.

Our case isn't the same. We are in the middle of a rebuild, which means we have to hit on the small percentage that Gelnnon is a super star, while risking the high percentage that he's average, while also risking that he could be horrible.

If we were like the Texans, relatively young team that has no QB but enough talent in a weak division to make the playoffs, then sure. Otherwise, we're essentially taking a lottery ticket and paying through the nose.

I'd rather roll with Petty/Hack at a cheap rate and see if they could develop. The chances aren't as high as Glennon's of being good, but the cost is small as well going forward (factoring in sunk cost of picks).

I'm not suggesting I want to pay him crazy money, but IMO having watched both Osweiller and Glennon play, I have always thought a Glennon is much better than Osweiller. To me, Osweillers upside is a game manager, and Glennons upside is a 2nd tier starting QB.

I'm not suggesting I want to pay him crazy money, but IMO having watched both Osweiller and Glennon play, I have always thought a Glennon is much better than Osweiller. To me, Osweillers upside is a game manager, and Glennons upside is a 2nd tier starting QB.

I think Glennon has upside for sure, but I'm sort of thinking in percentages of probability.

I'd say there is 10% chance, Glennon is an absolute stud, next Brees situation where he sets franchise for 10 years.

20% chance he's a second tier starting QB, not going to carry team but certainly won't drag it down.

40% chance he's an average to below average QB who goes back and forth from starting material to highly qualified back up.

20% chance, he's a career back up.

10%, he's horrible.

Obviously these are just random numbers I'm throwing out there, but I think for him to pay off, he has to perform in the top 30% tier. So there is a 70% shot it doesn't work out for us with the projected money he is going to make. If he came cheaper, our chances increase in return of investment, so I would have no problem bringing him in.

I think Glennon has a better profile than Osweiller, but it's hard to tell because the Bucs sucked, and Lovie Smith is an offensive idiot. The theory being in a better system, Glennon should improve. With Osweiller, the theory was that he had such a good team that he just needs to play it safe and they would win, and in a more open system, he'd thrive. They surrounded him with Hopkins, and loads of speed in Fuller/Braxton and Miller but he didn't improve.

Who knows if Glennon is good or bad. Have defensive coordinators had enough tape to figure out what makes him tick? Young qb's often have early success because they are running a new offense with new play designs against a guy they have not figured out yet. Once they do figure it out its  what separates the starter material from the backups qbs with the ability to adjust what thy are doing to and change their game. 

Unless his contract is in the 12 million range this makes no sense. Glennon hasn't proven a thing (like Osweiller), the NFL made it much easier to DRAFT a QB by putting in a 1st round cap. Glennon might be serviceable but I'm inclined to find the next NFL stud QB who just might be Darnold or Rosen, or maybe it's Hackenberg? The kid just turned 22 years old I believe. 

Roll with Petty vs Hack in camp with a vet backup & lets see what we have. Use FA & the draft to fix the secondary & the Oline and draft a stud RB. If Fournette is there at 6 and we pass him up I'll be bummed out. Having Forte & Powell for him to learn our blocking schemes, and to split carries with him this year eases him into the NFL and sets us up to finally have a potent offense in 2018. We find out what else we need on the Oline for 2018, Forte & his contract, Fitz 5 million, Revis 6 million will all be gone. That's 17 million. I want Fournette, especially if we trade Sheldon for a 3rd & end up with three 3rd round picks! That's 4 picks in the top 107 after taking Fournette. 

We need some star power. I know, I know, you don't take RBs high in the draft, but with the 1st round cap on what they get, I believe if he falls to #6 he most definitely is the BPA! Do you know that at 240 LBs he clocked the fastest top end speed on a TD run, faster than any player currently in the NFL?

Bilal Powell looked pretty damn good running behind our make shift line last year, with some tweaks & Fournette back there, a running game would be beneficial to whoever is playing QB for our Jets in 2017. I'm looking at a 2 year rebuild. 2017 & 2018 drafts & free agency. I believe with the depth in this draft at safety & corner, our next 4 picks could be for CB, Safety, Oline, TE and that would be the start to building towards 2018 draft. Macc seems pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough in UDFA like Robbie Anderson (who will be our 2nd or 3rd WR). If he finds another starter in UDFA this year, it's like having another draft pick. I would hate passing on Fournette, knowing FULL WELL, this is a 2 year rebuild to respectability.

Who knows if Glennon is good or bad. Have defensive coordinators had enough tape to figure out what makes him tick? Young qb's often have early success because they are running a new offense with new play designs against a guy they have not figured out yet. Once they do figure it out its  what separates the starter material from the backups qbs with the ability to adjust what thy are doing to and change their game. 

That seems to be more of an issue with the dual threat kids. Once you figure out how to contain the guy he becomes a one trick pony and most of them aren't particularly great inside the pocket. Glennon is more of a traditional qb the biggest concern should be that he hasn't played in what two seasons now? He might not be the same qb that the bucs drafted and played Winston over any more.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

This people!!!

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is right Jets fans.  

The Jets have not walked away from Glennon yet though signs don't appear overly promising for those like me who want him here.  I will say for the record I believe that the Jets will regret not getting  him when we could have... :)

In any event here are the reported facts... 

http://nypost.com/2017/03/07/jets-are-not-fully-out-of-crazy-mike-glennon-sweepstakes/amp/

Jets are not fully out of crazy Mike Glennon sweepstakes

The Mike Glennon Sweepstakes began on Tuesday, and they might be a little too pricey for the Jets.

The team still has interest in the free-agent quarterback, according to a source, but are committed to not overpaying Glennon. The Jets believe the Bears are ready to pay Glennon big bucks, which would cause the Jets to look elsewhere for their quarterback.

There was a report from CSN Chicago on Tuesday that the Jets had dropped out of the bidding for Glennon, but a source said that was not true yet. They are still monitoring the situation.

I went to sleep last night to the thread that the Jets were out of the running. I come back home from work today to see this thread.

My heart is filled with an overwhelming amount of joy. 

U76EjmQ.gif

I think Glennon can play. I'm not in love with him as a player, but I wouldn't mind if the Jets signed him at the right price.

The problem is, people, even myself, look at $15 million as big money spent on a QB. But when you look around the league, find me the non rookie contract QB whose starting in this league making less than $10 million a year? I haven't looked, but I'm willing to be that those guys aren't out there. Maybe the Brian Hoyers and McCown's of the world, but those guys aren't being handed jobs when they go from team to team.

If you're signing a FA QB to be your start, you have to pay him.

17 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think Glennon can play. I'm not in love with him as a player, but I wouldn't mind if the Jets signed him at the right price.

The problem is, people, even myself, look at $15 million as big money spent on a QB. But when you look around the league, find me the non rookie contract QB whose starting in this league making less than $10 million a year? I haven't looked, but I'm willing to be that those guys aren't out there. Maybe the Brian Hoyers and McCown's of the world, but those guys aren't being handed jobs when they go from team to team.

And if you sign him & end up next year in the Darnold, Rosen hunt you'll want to slit your wrists. To me, Glennon is not an ALL IN quarterback, sorry. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And if you sign him & end up next year in the Darnold, Rosen hunt you'll want to slit your wrists. To me, Glennon is not an ALL IN quarterback, sorry. 

I'm not saying he's an all in QB. But to me, $15 million a year is the going rate for a QB. I don't think that's going all in anymore given todays market for QB's. Sad, but unfortunately true.

I'm all for giving the young guys a shot and maybe signing some scrub veteran like Hoyer to sit on the bench and come in for relief duty. But I don't think Maac and Bowles are going to go that route. They need to win.

Glennon at a reasonable salary for a short period of time, perfectly acceptable.

Glennon at a Osweiller-level salary for a long period, not acceptable.

Glennon is not in any way a more "sure thing" choice than a draft pick QB.

40 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Osweiler screwed the market up getting paid so much and doing so little with plenty of weapons. Paying Glennon $15 mil a year will be as dumb as drafting hackenburg so early

9 hours ago, Stark said:

Save the money. Roll with the kids or new draft qb. 

15 M way too much for a guy the Bucs buried after a year and a half. Glennon is a statue in the pocket, is not quick enough release for WCO and is not accurate on crossing patterns which are the staple of WCO. Hoyer a much better - and cheaper - option for a bridge QB. Though who he is a bridge to has not been answered as yet.

To me it doesn't sound like anything has really changed.  Jets have made an offer, the Bears have offered considerably more.  Jets are still monitoring the situation in case the Bears deal falls apart for some reason.  Very unlikely.

Odds very high against the Jets signing Glennon.  IMO Jets wind up with Hoyer, or even Smith.  Ugh. 

Just now, prime21 said:

15 mil puts him in the middle of the pack as far as QB salaries go.  We wouldn't be paying him top dollar.

Tyrod will get the same thing if he's released.

You cut half the team of overpaid veterans to overpay a 27 year old QB that got his job taken by a rookie? 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

15 M way too much for a guy the Bucs buried after a year and a half. Glennon is a statue in the pocket, is not quick enough release for WCO and is not accurate on crossing patterns which are the staple of WCO. Hoyer a much better - and cheaper - option for a bridge QB. Though who he is a bridge to has not been answered as yet.

We don't need a "bridge" QB.

Either Hack and/or Petty can do the job, or they cannot.

The only thing a "bridge" QB does is maybe win an extra game in a 4-6 win season in 2017, and slow up us knowing what we have in Petty and Hack.

Given we spent a #2 pick on Hack, there is no circumstance I can see where Macc should be trading for, signing or drafting high a QB for 2017.

Hack and Petty.  We picked um, now it's time to play them.  

If/when they fail, THEN we move on.  Not before, and most certainly not with some seat-filling JAG "bridge" QB.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We don't need a "bridge" QB.

Either Hack and/or Petty can do the job, or they cannot.

The only thing a "bridge" QB does is maybe win an extra game in a 4-6 win season in 2017, and slow up us knowing what we have in Petty and Hack.

Given we spent a #2 pick on Hack, there is no circumstance I can see where Macc should be trading for, signing or drafting high a QB for 2017.

Hack and Petty.  We picked um, now it's time to play them.  

If/when they fail, THEN we move on.  Not before, and most certainly not with some seat-filling JAG "bridge" QB.

I disagree. If they've already realized Hackenberg was as mistake there's no need to play him just because you spent a high pick on him, and there's certainly no need to avoid taking a QB high if the right guy is there. That 2nd round pick is a sunk cost, we aren't getting it back to matter how good or bad Hack is. All decisions should be made with an eye on improving the team going forward, not with making up for past mistakes.

It's a bad look for Mac, but you don't compound mistakes by doubling down on them and wasting another year.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I disagree. If they've already realized Hackenberg was as mistake there's no need to play him just because you spent a high pick on him, and there's certainly no need to avoid taking a QB high if the right guy is there. That 2nd round pick is a sunk cost, we aren't getting it back to matter how good or bad Hack is. All decisions should be made with an eye on improving the team going forward, not with making up for past mistakes.

It's a bad look for Mac, but you don't compound mistakes by doubling down on them and wasting another year.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I disagree. If they've already realized Hackenberg was as mistake there's no need to play him just because you spent a high pick on him, and there's certainly no need to avoid taking a QB high if the right guy is there.

If they're already realized Hack was a mistake, why the hell would we want the fool who MADE that mistake to have the power to make another mistake the very next year?

Under your scenario, Macc should no longer be the GM for making that kind of mistake.  And he certainly shouldn't be trusted to be picking the next QB.

In either case, there is still nothing gained signing a "Bridge" veteran JAG for the first year of what is an obvious rebuild effort.  Wins, in 2017, simply do not matter, and in fact could be seen as a bad thing if you're of the "suck for the #1 pick in 2018" crowd.  

But be assured, starting Hoyer does nothing for this franchise's future and nothing for it's 2017 campaign.

Archived