Hightower Leaves without a Deal; Plus QB Rumors

JetNation

Donta-Hightower.jpg

The New York Jets had New England Patriots free agent linebacker Dont’a Hightower in for a visit this weekend. There were reports that he was coming back to Florham Park today. It does look like he left without a deal.

On the QB front the Jets depth chart still only has Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty on it. A few QB rumors to note:

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BetJhfQp_iY

Click here to read the full story...

he's just getting a sense of market value so the Pats can pay him what he's worth.  If they come close, there is no chance of his leaving NE for the Jets.  I'm sure he'd rather land in Pittsburgh than here if NE backs out.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

he's just getting a sense of market value so the Pats can pay him what he's worth.  If they come close, there is no chance of his leaving NE for the Jets.  I'm sure he'd rather land in Pittsburgh than here if NE backs out.

Seriously.   If the money is close, why would you leave a team that is winning 12-14 games a year to go the the team that is looking to get worse from the stench of last year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4801823/jets-showered-donta-hightower-with-birthday-cheer-during-visit

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Dont'a Hightower is one of the NFL's best blitzing linebackers, and during his free-agent visit to the New York Jets on Sunday, the organization showed how serious it is in courting him by unleashing a birthday blitz.

On the day Hightower was celebrating his 27th birthday, the Jets pulled out all the stops, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter explained during Monday's edition of NFL Insiders.

"They sent his mother Jets merchandise, the brought him out to dinner last night and had cupcakes given to him on his birthday. They had 'Happy Birthday Dont'a Hightower' on all the screens inside the Jets training facility," Schefter relayed.

Hightower's visit was set to conclude Monday, according to Schefter, before he was scheduled to fly to Pittsburgh Monday night to meet with the Steelers.

"There is a major snowstorm moving in, and there's a question as to whether Dont'a Hightower is going to get out of there," Schefter said on the program. "We're waiting to see if he actually makes the trip. The Patriots are in the background. The Jets' interest is real and legitimate. I think if they come [close] financially, he's going to consider going to play for the New York Jets. But the Pittsburgh Steelers also want to bring them into their building and have him visit with them. So Dont'a Hightower's situation is fluid while the Patriots await an answer from him."

30 minutes ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4801823/jets-showered-donta-hightower-with-birthday-cheer-during-visit

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Dont'a Hightower is one of the NFL's best blitzing linebackers, and during his free-agent visit to the New York Jets on Sunday, the organization showed how serious it is in courting him by unleashing a birthday blitz.

On the day Hightower was celebrating his 27th birthday, the Jets pulled out all the stops, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter explained during Monday's edition of NFL Insiders.

"They sent his mother Jets merchandise, the brought him out to dinner last night and had cupcakes given to him on his birthday. They had 'Happy Birthday Dont'a Hightower' on all the screens inside the Jets training facility," Schefter relayed.

Hightower's visit was set to conclude Monday, according to Schefter, before he was scheduled to fly to Pittsburgh Monday night to meet with the Steelers.

"There is a major snowstorm moving in, and there's a question as to whether Dont'a Hightower is going to get out of there," Schefter said on the program. "We're waiting to see if he actually makes the trip. The Patriots are in the background. The Jets' interest is real and legitimate. I think if they come [close] financially, he's going to consider going to play for the New York Jets. But the Pittsburgh Steelers also want to bring them into their building and have him visit with them. So Dont'a Hightower's situation is fluid while the Patriots await an answer from him."

Thirsty

Okay they took a shot. I highly doubt he comes here but at least they made an effort. Hopefully the Steelers throw some cash his way and take him from NE.

As for the QB's I would probably go with Osweiler over Cutler. Younger guy with something to prove or vet with an injury history and questionable leadership skills? I take the younger guy every time. I see no reason to sign Cutler and will take Osweiler over him. Hopefully they draft Watson as well.

25 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Is he a solid ilb? Dude had 65 tackles 2.5 sacks. David harris ia old and had 98 tackles Only.5 sacks tho

Sent from my LG-H910 using JetNation.com mobile app

Never said he was better, or worse, than Harris. He played hurt last year. Having said that, Harris is declining (33) while Hightower is just reaching his prime (27). Harris can't cover if his life depended on it and is further slowing down. 

4 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

He haf less tackles in 2015.

4 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

Also hasn't played a full season sin 2013

Harris has never made the pro bowl. Hightower has. Both of them are one time 2nd team all-pro. Harris in 2009 n Hightower last year. Good enough for me. 

On the play before Butler's pick against the Seahawks, Hightower completely stuffed Lynch.  Hightower is at best an average coverage lineback, but he is a downhill monster between the tackles, and an excellent blitzer.  In addition, he also is extremely football smart.  He was a defensive captain and wore the green dot for the Pats.  He isn't a sideline to sideline guy like Lewis/Urlacher/Vilma, and he isn't the freak athlete like Julian Peterson was or Jamie Collins is.  But he absolutely is a prototypical thumper and the heart of the defense.

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

Harris has never made the pro bowl. Hightower has. Both of them are one time 2nd team all-pro. Harris in 2009 n Hightower last year. Good enough for me. 

who cares about the pro bowl it is just a popularity contest

hightower has actually regressed if you are going by his stats

8 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

who cares about the pro bowl it is just a popularity contest

hightower has actually regressed if you are going by his stats

Sure its a popularity contest, but being 2nd team all pro isn't. And statistically, Fitz is the best QB Jets have ever had. Even Mark Sanchez was better than him.

Archived