What conditions gets Bowles or Maccagnan fired next year?

UnitedWhofans

I think we need to set the standards to each that they get canned. The interesting thing is that record probably won't have a lot to do with it.

Macc would probably be if he completely bombs this draft (which I don't think he will)

Bowles would probably get fired if he loses control of the locker room again, there is no positive player development, or there is the same lack of effort as last year. If they go 4-12 but they show positive development and effort, then he will, and probably should stay.

Well, what about it?

Just now, isired said:

Agree with both. Macc is more subjective and something we won't see the whole picture on. For Bowles it seems more simple, and it will probably be obvious by the time December rolls around.

I agree, and I think it's more likely Bowles gets canned than Macc.

Look, if we have another season like last year at the least Bowles is gone. Possibly Mac, too. You'd then really have to look at the organization and ask: do we have a good infrastructure. And has he added good personnel. Has he drafted well etc. 3 years is at least somewhat fair. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think we need to set the standards to each that they get canned. The interesting thing is that record probably won't have a lot to do with it.

Macc would probably be if he completely bombs this draft (which I don't think he will)

Bowles would probably get fired if he loses control of the locker room again, there is no positive player development, or there is the same lack of effort as last year. If they go 4-12 but they show positive development and effort, then he will, and probably should stay.

Well, what about it?

Good to see someone who has a proper perspective

For Bowles to get fired it won't be about the record unless it's 0-16. It will be about his handling of the team, his ability to oversee player development, game management, player management, locker room management.

If all that is sound his record won't be critical as it's a team which much isn't expected of at this stage.

If the above however is poor, player culture is poor, bad locker room etc then he will go.

For Mac, IMHO, nothing gets him fired at this stage. He's a young GM and a flat liner type who's player picks are still developing.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well, what about it?

How many of these same threads do we need?

Probably doesnt make a difference what standards fans come up with.

Now thats insightful

Heres a clue most missed a year ago.  When Woody said there were no performance demands, that the team was making lots of changes.  No one is getting fired

If the defense is completely clueless and/or the game management is atrocious, Bowles could be deemed a coaching candidate that needs to go back to assisting for awhile.

There are some scenarios where Macc could mismanage the roster/draft, like for example drafting Allen and not moving 2 other DEs.   He should get more rope if he can draft players that look good-decent.  If he clearly bombs to the extent obvious to Woody, that could be perilous.

If Devin Smith and/or Hack show a year with promise, that would help him alot and lead to less scrutiny of his 2017 draft picks.   It would be safer for him to try and trade down and find talent than whiff on a QB at 6.  

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles getting fired and Maccagnan staying is the dumbest possible outcome, so regardless of how many games we win this year, I'm quite certain that's exactly what will happen.

Why is this the dumbest possible outcome - Mac didnt even hire Bowles, like a normal GM should be allowed to do.

Personally if we come away with some quality players in this draft, but the record doesnt show it and we are in line to draft a top QB, then I think the smart move is to fire bowles, keep Mac and shop a young roster with the ability to draft a top QB and cap space to new head coaches.

Yes all the doomsday jet fans will whine that Darnold doesnt want to play here, etc but the truth is the Pats were a joke until they got Brady/Belichik, the saints were a laughing stock until they got Brees/Payton, etc.  If we have young pieces on defense, and are really only missing a QB yet have one available in the draft (meaning we pick in the top 6 and there are 3 QBs from the group of  Darnold, Rosen, Josh Allen and Jake Browning) then this job, with the cap space we will have, will be attractive to a young HC who is smart enough to realize that pairing himself with a good young QB greatly increases his chance of winning/success.  Plus, having good HCs interested in the job, also lowers the chance that a guy like Darnold stays in school to avoid the Jets (which is nonsense in my opinion anyway.)

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles getting fired and Maccagnan staying is the dumbest possible outcome, so regardless of how many games we win this year, I'm quite certain that's exactly what will happen.

On the other hand ... right now you can argue "it's the players" or "it's the coaching".

You only have a sample of one on both sides. Change one variable - the coach being the easiest - and depending on how the players perform, you have a clearer answer.

19 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well, what about it?

Dont know what to think about Macc.  Hard to grade a guy who was not allowed to pick his coach.

Archived