Romo Retires Which Could Help Us

KRL

I always loved Tony Romo for his mad bad snap skilz. Fukk Parcells, that quitter. I laughed so hard, I almost choked on my own tongue when Romo did the typical and flubbed it at zero hour vs. the Seahawks. Yes, yes, Romo is the not so proud owner of some sh it you can't make up, but the Jets own exclusive rights, thanks. This is partly why I never wanted him polluting our steady waters of horrificness. 

Retirement is no surprise, and I was calling it from the get go. He was one china plate short of a chip that you could never glue back. I wish him luck in his new endeavor becoming a linguist and deciphering Shannon Sharpe. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure Hou likes Savage. I think that factored into their decision making when parting ways with Brock. Romo was never a guarantee to come to Houston and Romo is injury prone. So the fact that they got rid of Brock tells me they have some confidence in Savage.

So I don't think they will be desperate to draft a QB and want to move up ALL the way to 6. They might trade up if a QB they like start to slip into the late teens. Or they may get Mahomes at 25. But most likely they will bring in a vet FA and have a QB competition between him and Savage.  Clearly bringing in Romo would have been a better option for them. But Romo retiring is not exactly a 'sky is falling' scenario for Hou.  

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm pretty sure Hou likes Savage. I think that factored into their decision making when parting ways with Brock. Romo was never a guarantee to come to Houston and Romo is injury prone. So the fact that they got rid of Brock tells me they have some confidence in Savage.

So I don't think they will be desperate to draft a QB and want to move up ALL the way to 6. They might trade up if a QB they like start to slip into the late teens. Or they may get Mahomes at 25. But most likely they will bring in a vet FA and have a QB competition between him and Savage.  Clearly bringing in Romo would have been a better option for them. But Romo retiring is not exactly a 'sky is falling' scenario for Hou.  

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

With HOU at #25 we could get their #1, #2 and a future #2 if they come up to #6

I want more picks, but hopefully a trade down wouldn't end up being that far. We need the Browns to get desperate. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

For us older fans who remember Staubach  and of course Aikman,  its amazing Romo has passed them both in many categories.

And he slept with Jessica Simpson, theres that in his bag.

Can't compare stats from today vs Staubach's era.  Today's NFL is arena league football. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

LOL yeah that's happening ..:lol:

This is the NY Jets we are talking about, remember? Now if NE or the Giants were sitting at 6, then I would say definitely, but good things like that NEVER happen to us.

Houston is not trading with us, they paid a huge price for Oswiler and it was a fail they are not going to pay huge resources for a raw QB.

Also O'Brien being the laughable jag of a coach he is once again, for the 10th time thinks he has a good Qb in Savage whom he can groom.  Just like the half dozen or so guys before him that he utterly failed to groom.  that joker would be out of a job by now if not for a top 3 defense and a weak ass division.

saw this..

Romo’s TV deal likely will keep door open for a return to football

Depending upon which report(s) you believe, Tony Romo is, or isn’t, retiring from football. Some are trying to tiptoe on the tightrope between declaring that he’s done vs. done for now, and for good reason.

For weeks, a sense has persisted in league circles that, if Romo chooses broadcasting, he’ll negotiate his contract to allow for a return to football during the season.If that’s the approach, it would be an acknowledgement that Romo can’t make it through a full season, but an indication that he could be intrigued by the possibility of sliding into the right situation, if an untimely injury to a starter on a contending team opens the door for an attempt to take a contender deep into the postseason.

To properly lay the foundation for such a move, Romo needs to be released by the Cowboys. If they would instead place him on the reserve/retired list, he’d first need to get them to release him if/when he wants to return. And if he wants to return because a team develops a sudden need for his services, the Cowboys may choose at that point to try to get something in return for his rights.Then there’s the potential complication that would arise from a return after the trade deadline. At that point, Romo would be subject to waivers — which means that any other team could squat on his contract and keep him from going where he wants to go.

So a free and clear release makes sense for Romo. It also makes sense for the Cowboys, since it would allow the cap charge to be spread over two years. Still, what makes sense and what actually happens have at times been at odds in this saga, so there’s no reason to try to predict with certainty where this roller coaster is heading next.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/04/romos-tv-deal-likely-will-keep-door-open-for-a-return-to-football/

47 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I want more picks, but hopefully a trade down wouldn't end up being that far. We need the Browns to get desperate. 

agreed !.. the browns ARE desperate but... i'm not certain how desperate they really are. it's a " sliding scale "   ;) 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Josh McCown dude, havent you heard?  He can still play and is great guy to have around because he's a nice person.

SImply a matter of experience vs. inexperience. That's all. Also given that the Texans are built to win now, it makes it worse.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

What? No longer on the Hackenberg can hit the ocean wagon?

What does me wanting to draft a QB have to do with my hope for Hackenberg  ?   I wanted Hackenberg last year, I want Trubisky  this year and if the opportunity arises and a better prospect presents itself next yr, I will also have an interest .

There was talk this year about the Patriots trading away Jimmy G  for a boatload of picks with some going so far as to say he might be worthy of the #1 overall pick .  Well, I think Trubisky is a better prospect than Jimmy G was when he was drafted and I would have little problem looting whatever team wanted to Acquire any asset I may possess . 

1 draft pick is worth 1 asset, but 1 quality QB is worth so much more, oh so much more  .

20 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

SImply a matter of experience vs. inexperience. That's all. Also given that the Texans are built to win now, it makes it worse.

Josh McCown has more experience than Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota, so when you think about it, the Jets are in a better QB position than those teams too.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I haven't checked the value board but the sounds kinda light for the #6 pick

5 hours ago, KRL said:

3 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

I haven't checked the value board but the sounds kinda light for the #6 pick

It is.

Based on the chart I looked at, our pick = 1600 points; Houston's first = 720, 2nd about 330. That's 1050, so still around 550 points to make up. That'd have to be a high 2nd this year. Even a 1 next year wouldn't be enough.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

He's going to the TV booth:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19073822/dallas-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-leaving-football-broadcast-career

HOU expected to get him as their QB, that's why they basically "paid" CLE to take Osweiler.  With Romo
gone they only have Tom Savage at QB.  I would assume they are going to be very desperate to get a QB
in the draft.  With Maccagnan's history with them he should have the ability to "abuse them" in a trade
down.  Let's hope

No. It's a nice dream tho... they've given up picks to get rid of Brock and pick too late.

What MIGHT happen (small chance) is trading Hackenberg to HOU. That's more likely than the alternative. 

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

Josh McCown has more experience than Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota, so when you think about it, the Jets are in a better QB position than those teams too.

You said that. I never said that. Both Savage and McCown are mediocre and injury prone. So the tiebreaker is experience. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You said that. I never said that. Both Savage and McCown are mediocre and injury prone. So the tiebreaker is experience. 

Huh?

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

please stop............  you sound like Mad Dog Russo:D. Its an interesting FAN observation. That is all.

In 1985, only 1 QB threw for >4K yards (Dan Marino with 4137). Last year 13 QBs threw for >4K yards.  Heck, Blake Bortles threw for 3905 yards last year, which would've ranked him 2nd behind Marino in 1985.

Your response?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In 1985, only 1 QB threw for >4K yards (Dan Marino with 4137). Last year 13 QBs threw for >4K yards.  Heck, Blake Bortles threw for 3905 yards last year, which would've ranked him 2nd behind Marino in 1985.

Your response?

I dont give a fukk....  I'm a fan, no more , no less, and simply am impressed that Romo, who IMO, doesn't appear great, has amassed such stats. THAT is my response.

8 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It's funny how these QBs are good enough for every other team to want but don't have the proper value for the Jets at 6 and we have no QB .

Fair point but there's a huge difference...We don't have that Houston defense,Lamar Miller or Deondre Hopkins. The qb they draft doesn't have to be as good for them as they'd have to be for us. It's like Sanchez when we got him he wasn't that great, but he didn't have to be because we had a ton of talent on the roster.

Archived