WR Quinton Patton to IR

Sarge4Tide

The Jets have signed WR Devin Street and placed WR Quinton Pattonicon-article-link.gif on injured reserve.

AP_398314536968-street-story.jpg
Street (6’3”, 200) spent the majority of last season with the Colts, appearing in five games. The three-year veteran, a  fifth-round draft pick of Dallas in 2014, played in 31 games with the Cowboys and made two starts. The Pitt product finished as the Panthers’ all-time leading pass catcher in school history with 202 receptions and finished third in receiving yards with 2,901.

Patton (6’0”, 204) signed with the Jets on March 23 after spending his first four years in San Francisco.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

With Devin Smith out and Jalin Marshall suspended, Patton had a shot to make the team I think 

I dont see J Marshal making team either

but I see Patton behind

Decker, Q, Anderson, Peake, Hanson, and Stewart

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

he wasnt making team anyway

I wouldn't say that. He was an effective WR in a sh*t offense last year. He's not a bad player. He could have easily made this roster. Even if you assume Decker, Enunwa, Stewart, Hansen, Anderson all make it, why wouldn't Patton beat out Peake or Marshall?  He's better than both of them.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

I wouldn't say that. He was an effective WR in a sh*t offense last year. He's not a bad player. He could have easily made this roster. Even if you assume Decker, Enunwa, Stewart, Hansen, Anderson all make it, why wouldn't Patton beat out Peake or Marshall?  He's better than both of them.

Peake has more upside and is cheaper..Patton in more known Q after 4 seasons and has a more defined ceiling.

Street pre-draft..WCO type WR if he can stay healthy..worth a look

STRENGTHS

Has excellent length and room for added bulk. Chews up ground with long strides. Is a big target underneath with a sizable catch radius. Shows natural receiving skills to track, concentrate and adjust. Soft, dependable hands to extend and pull in a throw off his body. Uses his big frame to post up defensive backs. Nice field awareness. Lined up outside and inside. Solid personal and football character. Productive, 40-game starter. Team captain.

WEAKNESSES

Has a thin build and could stand to pack on body armor -- durability could be an issue. Needs to get stronger, particularly to improve his release vs. the jam. Builds to speed and is not a threat to take the top off. Leggy and fairly straight-linish -- does not pop out of breaks or separate with quickness. Inconsistent route runner. Not aggressive or physical as a blocker. Can be more cognizant of ball security -- carries loosely and swings the ball away from his body. Limited special-teams utility.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE

Pitt's all-time leading pass catcher, Street is a narrowly built, long-levered, smooth-muscled receiver whose best assets are his length and hands. Needs to incorporate more physicality into his overall game, but has the ability to be an effective zone beater and red-zone target.

-Nolan Nawrocki

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/devin-street?id=2543641

uh oh...

Former Cowboys WR Devin Street happy to be out of Dallas

Sep 13, 2016

It sounds like when the Dallas Cowboys recently cut wide receiver Devin Street, they did exactly what he wanted them to do.

Having been waived by the Cowboys at the tail end of the offseason due to poor production and a low ceiling, Street landed on the New England Patriots practice squad. According to a Tuesday interview the third-year wideout gave Kevin Duffy of MassLive.com, he is finally where he wanted to be all along.

"Maybe (getting cut) is a blessing in disguise, because I'm at a place where I want to be." Street said. "And I feel like they have a little want for me, too, just from working me out before."

Street cited his belief in being misused by the Cowboys as the root of his issues, and looks forward to the Patriots giving him a chance to play in the slot; something the 2014 fifth rounder did at times when he played at Pitt.

"In college, that's where I made a lot of my money, inside," Street said. "I wasn't utilized in that aspect in Dallas, which is fine. Just got to do what you need to do. But I'm looking for the opportunity to be moved all around here."

And did he see his cut looming on the horizon in Dallas?

"Just kind of, the culture down there," Street said. "I knew it was coming."

Street is oozing elation at his opportunity to play with the Patriots, so much so he confessed the Cowboys would not have been his choice if he had one in the matter.

"I wanted to come here before the draft, but it just didn't work out that way," said Street. "It's just more of my fit, I feel like. Just go about your business, hard work, a humble atmosphere even though they have had so much success."

That's certainly a mouthful from a receiver who did very little to contribute to the Cowboys success, registering only nine receptions for a career total 132 yards in 31 games.

No wonder the Cowboys tossed Devin in the street.

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Cowboys-WR-Devin-Street-happy-to-be-out-of-Dallas-47447547

Patriots take WR Devin Street back from the Colts

The receiver played in Indianapolis for a season, but wanted to play for a winner.

by Rich Hill May 2, 2017, 5:10pm EDT

The New England Patriots have claimed former Dallas Cowboys, Patriots, and Indianapolis Colts WR Devin Street off waivers, per ESPN’s Field Yates.

Patriots release WR Devin Street

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:44 PM EDT

By New England Patriots

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots announced today that they have released WR Devin Street. Street was claimed off waivers and awarded to New England from Indianapolis on May 2, 2017.

Street, 26, is a veteran of three NFL seasons. The 6-foot-3, 200-pounder, was drafted by Dallas in the fifth round (146th overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft out of Pittsburgh. He was released by Dallas on Sept. 3, 2016. Street joined the New England practice squad on Sept. 5, 2016, and was signed by Indianapolis to the 53-man roster off the Patriots practice squad on Sept. 21, 2016. Street appeared in five games for the Colts last season and caught one pass for 20 yards. He was released by the Colts on May 1, 2017. In three NFL seasons, Street played in 36 games with two starts and caught 10 passes for 152 yards with one touchdown. He also appeared in two postseason contests for Dallas in 2014 and did not accrue any statistics.

New England Patriots cut WR Devin Street, following Andrew Hawkins announcing he'll sign with the team

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Street is long, I will give him that, but I'm not sure why they keep stockpiling WR's.  Why don't they add some OLB's?  That seems to be a place where there is plenty of room for an UDFA to make the team and contribute. 

Its OTAs, no hitting...alot of passing drills..thus need for WR/DBs...

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Street is long, I will give him that, but I'm not sure why they keep stockpiling WR's.  Why don't they add some OLB's?  That seems to be a place where there is plenty of room for an UDFA to make the team and contribute. 

Remember that offseason a couple years ago? How we signed revis, and gilchrist, and skrine, and then cromartie? Leaving us all to wonder why we didn't try to strengthen any other position? Yeah, well this is the summer of WR, ILB, and Safety. 

Every other position waits their turn. 

Hurts, mainly because he was injury insurance for us, and now that's not the case anymore.  

I believe the WR order will be Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Peake, Hansen.  I think the guy to watch out for is Cannon because I really liked him a lot in the draft and I was shocked he fell.  In fact, I probably liked him better than Hansen going into the draft.  I doubt we go into the season with 7 receivers, so Cannon is on the outside looking in, but if we have an injury to the top 6, I believe Cannon will be the guy they give the shot too.  Peake also had major injury problems at Clemson, so he isn't a lock to stay healthy as well.  

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Hurts, mainly because he was injury insurance for us, and now that's not the case anymore.  

I believe the WR order will be Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart, Peake, Hansen.  I think the guy to watch out for is Cannon because I really liked him a lot in the draft and I was shocked he fell.  In fact, I probably liked him better than Hansen going into the draft.  I doubt we go into the season with 7 receivers, so Cannon is on the outside looking in, but if we have an injury to the top 6, I believe Cannon will be the guy they give the shot too.  Peake also had major injury problems at Clemson, so he isn't a lock to stay healthy as well.  

This is the plan.  The apparent surplus of WRs is resolving itself. 

These guys get hurt.  The Jets will continue to load up on WRs.

So does these Twits by Q. Patton mean he's GLAD to be OUT for the season and not play for the Jets while still getting paid? Doesn't sound like the ramblings of an athlete with a serious injury being placed on IR :blink:

https://twitter.com/PattonBoy_11/with_replies

Seems odd that they haven't announced the injury yet it's grave enough to be placed on IR and pretty much eat his 1 year deal.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Street is long, I will give him that, but I'm not sure why they keep stockpiling WR's.  Why don't they add some OLB's?  

Pretty soon our roster is going to be 25 WR's and 25 Strong Safeties to go along with 3 crappy quarterbacks

13 hours ago, win4ever said:

I know that you like Cannon, but I think you are missing out on why the interviews are so important at the combine.  It is only a guess, same as your liking him, but the kid seems like he has quite a bit of knucklehead in him.  He got cut from the Niners for quitting on a route.  His should I stay or should I go at Baylor seemed a bit wacky, though maybe understandable with Briles getting the boot.  I have not seen much of him, but based on what you've been saying I am interested to see him in the preseason.  Should be ahead of Frankie Hammond anyway.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know that you like Cannon, but I think you are missing out on why the interviews are so important at the combine.  It is only a guess, same as your liking him, but the kid seems like he has quite a bit of knucklehead in him.  He got cut from the Niners for quitting on a route.  His should I stay or should I go at Baylor seemed a bit wacky, though maybe understandable with Briles getting the boot.  I have not seen much of him, but based on what you've been saying I am interested to see him in the preseason.  Should be ahead of Frankie Hammond anyway.

Every time I see his name, I'm literally amazed this kid is in the NFL.  I guess he's just a safe returner to have on the roster. 

As for Cannon and Patton - if I had to bet, neither were/are making the team anyway.

Decker, Q, Anderson, Peake, Stewart, Hanson...maybe Jalin Marshall. unless they trust Frankie Hammond more in the return game, which is understandable. 

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That and QB

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think part of it is the system, because you routinely see Baylor receivers take plays off, when they aren't involved in the play because their play tree is somewhat limited.  So if they see a play with say read option run, a lot of the receivers out wide just take the play off.  It's actually encouraged by the staff (or former staff now I guess) so they would stay fresh to run down the field.  

He has some issues with his hands, a bunch of concentration drops, but I love his ability to vary his speeds in his route.  He doesn't just run flat out fast from the get go, but sets up CBs with different gears, and he has top end speed.  I think he got hurt because Baylor was basically down to about their 4th string QB, and I think the biggest reason he left was the possible sanctions they might be getting at Baylor.  He's not a perfect receiver by any stretch, and his route tree is limited, but he really does remind me a lot of how Anderson looked last year in college tapes (albeit in a different system).  

I was surprised he fell as far as he did, so there might be things off the field that could be issues.  On the field, I think he could be a contributor, and play on special teams as well.  It would probably take an injury for him to make the team, but I think his potential is substantial, as long as he's not the No. 1 receiver.  If he makes the team, I would love to put Anderson/Cannon on two slots in 4 man groups at some point and see how they do.   

Looking at the future, we will move on from Decker after next year, which should leave Enunwa as the No. 1, and Stewart/Hansen (hopefully one of them steps up) as the No. 2, with Anderson as the No. 3.  I think Cannon is good enough to be the backup to all those spots because he has the outside experience to be a No. 2, and the speed for the slot.  

19 hours ago, varjet said:

This is the plan.  The apparent surplus of WRs is resolving itself. 

These guys get hurt.  The Jets will continue to load up on WRs.

Yeah, usually all depth issues work out with injuries and stuff anyway.  

On June 5, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Gas2No99 said:

So does these Twits by Q. Patton mean he's GLAD to be OUT for the season and not play for the Jets while still getting paid? Doesn't sound like the ramblings of an athlete with a serious injury being placed on IR :blink:

https://twitter.com/PattonBoy_11/with_replies

Seems odd that they haven't announced the injury yet it's grave enough to be placed on IR and pretty much eat his 1 year deal.

Jets released WR Quinton Patton with an injury settlement.:blink:

Patton was placed on I.R. with an undisclosed injury three days ago. Patton caught 37 passes for the dreadful 49ers last season. He should get another look as a camp body once he gets healthy.

Jun 8 - 6:05 PM

Patton will count for $665,000 in cap space in 2017, with $25,000 in dead money if he is cut.

This seems ODD. <_<

He was the NEXT most expensive WR AFTER Decker @ $800,000 for the full year besides TE ASJ  who is at #1.06M for 2017. The HIGHEST paid WR on the roster is now Devin Street at $690,000 for '17 and Quincy comes in at $615,000 for 2017. ArDarious Stewart collects $465K and Robby Anderson at $540K

DIRT cheap WRs. in 2017.

Archived