Gary Myers on board for the Tank

JoJoTownsell1

From Gary Myers, one of the writers I generally hate:

Tank you very much.

Connect the green and white dots: Black Tuesday in Florham Park is the final piece of an unsightly 0-16 season which leads to USC quarterback Sam Darnold with the first pick in the 2018 draft.

In the process of flushing away the stench from last year's 5-11 disaster - and saving Woody Johnson lots of money - Mike Maccagnan, in his third year as Jets GM, purged the roster of anybody old enough to drink. He is putting together a team that is going to have a hard time winning a game.

Tanking? "That's not our focus," Maccagnan said Tuesday after cutting David Harris and revealing that Eric Decker has bene told he will be cut as well if the Jets can't trade him.

It's all semantics, but the reality is the Jets are tanking as they develop their young players and then slide into position to draft Darnold, Wyoming's Josh Allen or UCLA's John Rosen, whoever is considered the best quarterback following next season and then the grueling draft evaluation process.Christian Hackenberg ready to take advantage of Jets opportunity

Tanking is not a terrible strategy if it finally gets the Jets a franchise quarterback for the first time in 50 years. If you are going to stink, you might as well really stink so the place has to be fumigated.

Finishing with four or five victories and picking sixth will get terrific foundation players like Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, but it won't ever get the best quarterback in a strong quarterback draft.

I feel bad for the loyal and long-suffering Jets fans who paid lots of money for their PSLS and recently wrote checks for their 2017 season tickets to watch a team that would have trouble beating Alabama. But it could pay off big in the long run. The worst thing is to be mediocre in the NFL. It's beneficial to be really bad for a year or two if the right decisions are made in the draft, free agency and with the high priority on waiver claims.

The Jets might have the worst roster in the NFL. Even worse than the Browns and 49ers. But that all changes one year from now if all the young guys - they have only four players 30 or older -- take a big step forward and the Jets get their franchise quarterback.

First, they must be sure that Christian Hackenberg, the second-round pick from last year who didn't step on the field as a rookie, is as bad as everybody fears. That can't be determined until he has an opportunity to play. That's why it makes no sense, especially after Tuesday's moves that symbolize it's not about winning this year, that Hackenberg is the opening day starter in Buffalo.

What will the Jets gain from playing Josh McCown, who is 18-42 in 15 seasons and will be 38 years old on July 4? Why wait until the Jets are 0-6 with injuries potentially piling up to put in Hackenberg? Go with him he has the best chance to succeed at the beginning of the season. If he's dud, then the Jets can draft Darnold, Allen or Rosen.

It's hard to find many victories on their 2017 schedule regardless who starts at QB. Only the 2008 Lions have ever been 0-16. Close your eyes: This could be worse than Rich Kotite's 1-15 in 1996. Instead of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker at wide receiver - they combined for 189 catches, 2,547 yards and 26 TDS in 2015 - they have Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson. Yikes.

Truth is, Maccagnan should have torn things apart two years ago when he was hired to replace Hall of Fame GM John Idzik, whose parting gift was more cap room that Maccagnan could spend.

Instead of ripping through the roster back then, Maccagnan went for the competitive rebuild and it nearly worked with a near miss of the playoffs at 10-6. GMs in New York are afraid fans will never embrace a complete overhaul and the ugliness that comes with it. The owners and GMs need to have more faith that all the fans want is for their team to be steered in the right direction and be able to eventually compete for a title. If Maccagnan went young in 2015, the Jets would be better off today.

Two years ago, Maccagnan signed Darrelle Revis and traded for Marshall and Ryan Fitzpatrick and last year signed Matt Forte. Revis is gone after two years with $39 million guaranteed in his pocket. Marshall was also cut, along with Nick Mangold.

Fitzpatrick wasn't offered a new contract. On Tuesday, it was David Harris' turn as he was cut right after an OTA practice when talks on a reduction from his $6.5 million reached a stalemate. I can already see him in Foxborough, by the way. Then Decker, coming off shoulder and hip surgery that cut off his season after just three games last year, was told he will be cut or traded. Gone: His $7.25 million salary. That's a $13.75 million savings for Johnson in cold, hard cash on Black Tuesday.

Salary cap rules require him to eventually spend the money, but Johnson can save it for another year when it will have an impact on wins and losses. Maccagnan said the moves Tuesday were not financially motivated. He said he's trying to build a competitive roster.

The six core players who have been removed have combined to play 61 years in the NFL. That's a lot of experience and leadership. That's not counting the departures of Geno Smith, Nick Folk, Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist.

As they used to say about the '62 Mets, as soon as enough of their players were spread around the National League, the Mets would be good. Seven years later, they won the World Series. The same may one day be said about all these ex-Jets.

This is going to be a painful season for Jets Nation.

The clueless GM who has drafted nobody of value besides being gifted Leo. Why do I feel like we'll win 4 games and pick 6th again? Oh yeah cuz we won't be starting his hand picked QB of the future (Hack). Mccown isn't here to tank. He's going to win a third of the games he start. If it was such a rebuild, why weren't these players released immediately after the draft? Pure clueless GM. He's the guy that will make idzik look better, if that's even a thing. 

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

The clueless GM who has drafted nobody of value besides being gifted Leo. Why do I feel like we'll win 4 games and pick 6th again? Oh yeah cuz we won't be starting his hand picked QB of the future (Hack). Mccown isn't here to tank. He's going to win a third of the games he start. If it was such a rebuild, why weren't these players released immediately after the draft? Pure clueless GM. He's the guy that will make idzik look better, if that's even a thing. 

TBH even at 6 we will be line for a QB. This a deep QB class if everything plays out like experts think.. 

If anyone think this is coming from Macc, and not Woody who is desperate to find a stud face of the franchise QB, and is probably believing the Darnold hype (thankfully) isn't paying attention.  Finally Woody will get one right IF he makes sure Bowles gets on board, or gets shipped out, only thing that can derail this is if something crazy happens like our OL miraculously becoming elite, AND our Defense playing like the Broncos/Seahawks Super Bowl winning defenses the last few years (I don't see this happening with out the edge rusher needed, and the guy coaching the unit being incompetent).

Like my avatar shows it's Darnold, or bust!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813121/article/first-look-scouting-usc-qb-sam-darnold

Editor's note: NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah takes a "first look" at college football's top players for 2017. This is the first in a series of scouting reports that will run throughout the offseason.

I love this time of the year. After a respite following the 2017 NFL Draft, it's time for me to start watching some tape on next year's top college football players. I've peeked at several of these top players while studying their teammates or opponents leading up to this year's draft, but this is the first time I'm truly putting them under the microscope and taking notes on their play. The first player up for this year's First Look series: USC QB Sam Darnold, who's already generating plenty of buzz in NFL circles

Sam Darnold, redshirt sophomore QB, USC

Height, weight: 6-foot-4, 225 pounds (school measurements)

2016 statistics: 246-of-366 (67.2 percent) for 3,086 yards, 31 TDs, and 9 INTs

Game tape watched: Utah (Sept. 23, 2016), Colorado (Oct. 8, 2016), Washington (Nov. 12, 2016), every pass attempt on third down with 6 or more yards to go (I also saw him play live vs. Penn State in the Rose Bowl).

VIDEO LOADING

WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
WATCH MORE VIDEOS

REPLAY

USC QB Sam Darnold 8-yard touchdown to Daniel Imatorbhebhe

USC QB Sam Darnold 8-yard touchdown to Daniel Imatorbhebhe
    watermark.png

gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAAAAACH5B

Slider thumb shadowSlider thumb
    00:00/00:18

What I liked: Darnold has an ideal blend of size, arm strength and playmaking ability. USC's offense has its share of bubble screens, but I've seen Darnold read the entire field, anticipate windows and fit balls into tight spots. He's an explosive thrower. He generates a lot of torque from his hips and the ball jumps out of his hand. He has also shown the ability to throw with a deft touch in the red zone (see touchdown vs Washington). His ball placement has been impressive at all three levels. His overall decision making has been excellent for an inexperienced passer and he avoids taking unnecessary sacks.

» Next men up: Top QB talents in CFB pipeline for 2017

His ability to avoid pressure, extend plays and keep his eyes downfield generated a lot of big plays in the games I studied. I love his no-flinch attitude in pressure situations (see Rose Bowl) and his even-keeled personality is a good fit for the position. 

0ap3000000784503.jpg

Where he needs to improve: Much will be made about Darnold's long delivery. I'm not quite as worried about it as some other evaluators. I've seen him tighten it up when bodies are around him, and while I do agree it's a long release, it isn't monotone or sluggish like Byron Leftwich's. Russell Wilson has a similar release. Wilson drops the ball down below his waist but it's an explosive movement and the ball comes out quick. It's much the same for the USC QB.

Darnold needs to improve his ball security as a runner and when he extends plays. He can get careless at times (see Colorado game). His overall ball placement has been very good but he did miss a few deep balls earlier in the season. He should continue to improve in this area with more playing time. 

Biggest takeaway: I don't want to get carried away with one season of production, but Darnold is a special talent. He has a lot of similarities to Andrew Luck when Luck was at Stanford. They have a similar frame and athleticism. They both seem to be at their best in crucial situations. I know one Pac-12 coach (Jim Mora) has compared Darnold to Tony Romo and I do see some of that, as well. They both have tremendous poise and their natural instincts take over when the called play breaks down. 

I can't wait to see him play ... Stanford on Sept. 9. The Trojans will be the talk of the Pac-12 entering the 2017 campaign, but Stanford is coming off a 10-win season and returns a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Darnold didn't start against the Cardinal last fall, and I'm anxious to see how he performs against one of the top secondaries in college football.

The Jets should totally tank on the 2017 season | Politi

Gallery: NY Jets GM Mike Maccagnan pre-draft press conference

0shares

BY STEVE POLITI 

spoliti@njadvancemedia.com,

Columnist, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The question with the Jets isn't why they would cut their best linebacker and tell their best receiver that he's next out the door on the very same day -- a day that, even for the Jets, was extraordinary for its outrageousness.

The question is this: Why stop there?

Why not name Christian Hackenberg the starting quarterback and make him only pass with his left arm? Why not bring back Rich Kotite as a special consultant and put him in charge of clock management? Why not just trade all of their remaining good players to the Patriots, because they'll probably just claim them off waivers anyway? 

The Jets should go all-in on the tank now, because honestly, what other choice do they have? They were going to be bottom-of-the-NFL-standings bad this season before they jettisoned linebacker David Harris and prepared to do the same with receiver Eric Decker

Now, unless the replacements are hiding in plain sight (surprise! they're not), the goal should be to cut the "one of" from the "one of the worst teams," to go all-in on this rebuild and hope -- no, pray -- that they finally find their franchise quarterback at the top of the draft next spring.

If that elusive cornerstone passer is the end result of all this, what Jets fan wouldn't sign for 1-15 this fall? The problem, of course, is that there is no guarantee that it will be the end result. USC quarterback Sam Darnold is drawing comparisons to Andrew Luck, but he could also blow out his ACL against Stanford this season.

Tanking is an effective tactic in hockey and basketball and even baseball to a lesser degree, but examples of it leading to long-term success in football are far more difficult to find. 

But again, what choice do the Jets have? GM Mike Maccagnan can't possibly believe his own nonsense that a youth movement will "help this organization both in the short and long term." The Jets only have four players over 30, and one of them is quarterback Josh McCown, who as a quarterback is practically a human white flag.

His teams have a .353 winning percentage -- a 79-145 record -- over his 14-year career. That's an impressive level of futility, and to think, Maccagnan signed him before dropping a hand grenade in his locker room. 

The 50 greatest NFL players from N.J.

"We are focused on building this team for the future, and that's kind of our goal all along," Maccagnan said on Tuesday. "It's going to be a roster of opportunities and a very competitive roster at a lot of positions, in terms of players with the opportunity presented to them and we'll see how it unfolds."

There is a chance Magic Mike doesn't know what he's doing, and if he's just a more affable John Idzik, the Jets are screwed. Idzik's disastrous drafts have been rightfully panned, but it's not like Maccagnan has loaded Florham Park with talent during his tenure, either.

ADVERTISING

Still, it certainly looks like he is operating with the understanding that, even if the team stinks in 2017, he'll survive to see another season. It's impossible to know what Woody Johnson, who almost certainly doesn't want to punch the reset button again, will do if fan outrage starts to grow.

Johnson has to know this team is barreling toward a terrible season. If he hasn't given Maccagnan some assurances that he'll be judged on a curve in the upcoming season, then the GM's decisions are dumbfounding and probably career ending.

Did Woody endorse tanking? That's hard to imagine, too, but he has to see that being one level below mediocre is the worst possible place to be in sports. The Jets were always going to be bad, and after Tuesday, they're going to be really bad, and now you can only wonder.

Can Kotite's triumphant return be far behind?

Steve Politi may be reached at spoliti@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @StevePoliti. Find Steve on Facebook.

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

This is going to be rough for those of us with young kids who are just starting to pick their team alliances.   Probably for the best though.

I gave my 9 year old an out for one year. Told him he can root for any team outside of the Pats/Giants/Fish and Bills for one year. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the right way to go about it is to let the young guys play. It least the Jets have a young QB in Hack who they can evaluate this season, and other young players. It's better than being bad with an old veteran team.

Clearly that is the plan. The cutting of Decker will give all the kids a chance to shine.

Can't disagree with anything in the article. I don't think they're necessarily tanking, but they're clearly, 100%, gutting the roster for a complete rebuild, and aren't afraid of losing games in the process. Gotta hope this year's class is 2004, not 2006. And even in 2004, the 4th QB off the board was J.P. Losman. 

Looking forward to seeing Sam play this year. I am not as excited as others for a one year successful starter from USC. If he has another good year and shows improvement, great, hopefully he comes out and we have the number one pick and he dosent decide to refuse to play for the Jets. It's just hard for me to focus solely on Sam. It's a good sign there are several other potential franchise QB's that may be available next year. 

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I feel bad for the loyal and long-suffering Jets fans who paid lots of money for their PSLS and recently wrote checks for their 2017 season tickets to watch a team that would have trouble beating Alabama.

Cynical thought: were they decisive with the timing of these cuts, waiting until the season ticket money came in before making them? 

Mike Maccagnan's Jets roster will cost Todd Bowles his job, and it shouldn't

New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, owner Woody Johnson, and head coach Todd Bowles in happier times back in 2015. (William Perlman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
    New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, owner Woody Johnson, and head coach Todd Bowles in happier times back in 2015. (William Perlman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

1share

BY CONNOR HUGHES 

chughes@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK --Todd Bowles deserves better than this. A lot better. The coach has played his part in the Jets' recent struggles, but this will cost him his job. And there's nothing he can do about it.

It was Bill Parcells who famously compared coaching to preparing a meal. There's only so much one can do with the ingredients supplied.

Bowles couldn't make a Happy Meal right now.

Mike Maccagnan's roster purge claimed its latest two victims on Tuesday -- linebacker David Harris and receiver Eric Decker. There was seemingly no rhyme or reason to the third-year GM's reaper-like approach to the two well-respected veterans.

Yes, the Jets freed cap space. But they were under to begin with, there's no free agent worth spending the money on, and no in-house replacement candidate as talented as the two. The Jets cut them because they, well, wanted to. To get the "younger players" playing time, Maccagnan said.

"We are focused on building this team for the future, and that's kind of our goal all along," Maccagnan said. "It's going to be a roster of opportunities and a very competitive roster at a lot of positions, in terms of players with the opportunity presented to them and we'll see how it unfolds."

Sure, that's all fine and dandy. But it's not Maccagnan's neck on the line if those youngsters don't step up.

The Jets management structure is simple: Bowles coaches the team, and Maccagnan puts it together. Both men report to owner Woody Johnson. Maccagnan is not the boss of Bowles, and Bowles is not the boss of Maccagnan. The two men work for the same organization operating with (perceivably) the same goal.

After the Jets released Harris, Bowles pitched the company motto at his post-practice press conference. He said all were on board, but it was easy to read through his false bravado.

He wanted Harris on this team. Those in charge of putting the roster together didn't care. Now Bowles is left trying to find a replacement. Demario Davis, Bruce Carter and Julian Stanford are his top options. 

Yeah... good luck. 

"It was an organizational decision," Bowles said reluctantly. "I don't foresee a lot of things coming in this league at this point. Nothing surprises me after being in the league this long. It's part of the business and it's a tough part of the business."

Maccagnan's first two years, he put together a team using his "competitive rebuild" mentality. The Jets would fight for a playoff spot, but also build for the future. This year? It's a tank even the 76ers and Knicks would gawk at.

The Jets quarterback situation is a league-wide laughing stock. Their receivers -- now absent Decker-- some of the NFL's worst. The offensive line is a massive question mark, and the defense (while talented) littered with holes and unproven potential.

Jets cutting Harris makes no sense

Maccagnan said the Jets "focus" isn't to lose in 2017. But you don't need admittance from the architect of arguably the NFL's worst roster to realize this squad will stink.

Maccagnan clearly sold Johnson on the Jets need for a rebuild. John Idzik's horrific two-year run as general manager left the roster in dire shape. But while it seems Maccagnan will survive anything better than an 0-16 year, Bowles won't.

Barring divine intervention, this is a three-, four-win Jets team. They could conceivably win just one or two games next year. With a December schedule featuring dates against the Chiefs, Broncos, Saints and Patriots, it's hard to imagine this roster putting together a late-season run to save their coach's rear end.

Again, Bowles isn't perfect. There have been plenty of downs his first two seasons in charge, but he earned stamps of approval from the Cardinals' Bruce Arians and Parcells for a reason. Remember: He coached the Jets to a respectable level of competence in 2015... and Ryan Fitzpatrick was his damn quarterback. 

Bowles deserves a chance to show he can be an NFL head coach.

Maccagnan's not giving it to him.  

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook

53 minutes ago, slats said:

Can't disagree with anything in the article. I don't think they're necessarily tanking, but they're clearly, 100%, gutting the roster for a complete rebuild, and aren't afraid of losing games in the process. Gotta hope this year's class is 2004, not 2006. And even in 2004, the 4th QB off the board was J.P. Losman. 

Exactly. That's what it's about. They are going to find out about their young players, give them experience, see whose a keeper and who isn't. If they win, great. If not, which is the likely scenario due to the QB situation, we'll probably have a top pick in a class that on paper is suppose to be strong for QBs. This is the year to gut the roster and rebuild.

How Jets are planning to replace Eric Decker, David Harris

play

Mike Golic and Trey Wingo try to understand why the Jets are deciding to release their veteran players after the start of training camp. (1:07)

9:55 AM ET
    • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
      Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
    •  

What now?

The decision to release David Harris and part ways with Eric Decker, who will be traded or cut, created shock waves for the New York Jets. Of all the headline-grabbing cuts this offseason, these two hit the hardest among folks in the organization.

But the NFL is a cold business, and the Jets must get back to work and figure out ways to replace the two popular players.

Decker's imminent departure will change the dynamic at wide receiver, as the Jets have arguably the most unproven corps in the league. Their most accomplished receiver is Quincy Enunwa, who has 80 career catches. They have eight players with at least one NFL reception, but the group totals only 199 receptions.

The Jets are counting heavily on third-round pick ArDarius Stewart and fourth-rounder Chad Hansen to play key roles. It should be noted that Stewart has been sidelined by a thumb injury and hasn't practiced much.

The current depth chart might look something like this:

Replacing Harris, who played the all-important middle linebacker position, will be tougher than Decker because there's no heir apparent. That's why the move made no sense. When Harris missed the Week 6 game last season with a hamstring injury, they moved weakside linebacker Erin Henderson into the "Mike" position, elevating rookie Darron Lee into a starting role on the weak side.

Harris missed only 15 snaps for the remainder of the season, so they never had to worry about the position. Truth be told, they haven't had to worry about it since 2007.

Now they do because they don't have a natural "Mike" linebacker on the roster, and that is problematic. It takes a special player because not only is it extremely physical, but it's a thinking man's position. The "Mike" calls the defensive signals and makes adjustments. Harris relished that role and did it well.

A possible depth chart for the two inside-linebacker slots:

Coach Todd Bowles mentioned Davis, Carter and Stanford as candidates. Davis, re-acquired last week in a trade with the Cleveland Browns, has plenty of starting experience, but he's never played in the middle. Carter has previous starting experience, although he played only 121 defensive snaps last season. Opposing scouts say he's not physical enough to play "Mike." Stanford is just a fringe guy.

Bowles acknowledged the Jets will be "different" without Harris, adding that it remains to be seen if they're better. He's got that right.

Anyone who feels sorry for Todd Bowles hasn't watched a Jets game in two years. This year could be a free pass for him- if he actually shows he knows how to put players in position to succeed,  keep his locker room intact, and learn how to coach on game day.  

Limited experience highly drafted USC pretty boy QB throwing to wide open receivers comes to cold, cynical NE on a bad franchise. In theory it sounds like a great idea but I cant shake the feeling i've seen this before.

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Anyone who feels sorry for Todd Bowles hasn't watched a Jets game in two years. This year could be a free pass for him- if he actually shows he knows how to put players in position to succeed,  keep his locker room intact, and learn how to coach on game day.  

Agreed. He actually has a much easier job this year than last. Wins and losses won't matter. Show improvement from week to week. Develop some young kids. Whether that's Adams and maybe or hack or the wide receivers. The fan base should just be looking for bright spots on an ugly season. 

next year's QB crop isn't the panecea we all think it is 

Sam Darnold, besides being a USC Qb (a position/college that has only worked out exactly once Carson Palmer with over a dozen tries) had to have his long release completely reworked this offseason. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2017/04/21/usc-sam-darnold-quarterback-improve-college-football/100708818/

Josh Rosen has only had 1 good year his freshman year and is coming off of season ending shoulder surgery. Another bad year he basically becomes Hackenberg. He's also political in ways that our ownership seriously would not like. 

Josh Allen has natural arm ability but has only been a starter one year. He actually might be the true #1 when this is all said and done. But I like him in the same way that I liked Mahomes he's got tons of physical upside but raw and risky. 

none of these guys are Andrew Luck. They aren't even Cam Newton. Who by the way, was a JUCO transfer who wasn't on the draft radar at this point in the process. Certainly not as a 1 overall. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sam Darnold, besides being a USC Qb (a position/college that has only worked out exactly once Carson Palmer with over a dozen tries) had to have his long release completely reworked this offseason. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2017/04/21/usc-sam-darnold-quarterback-improve-college-football/100708818/

Josh Rosen has only had 1 good year his freshman year and is coming off of season ending shoulder surgery. Another bad year he basically becomes Hackenberg. He's also political in ways that our ownership seriously would not like. 

Josh Allen has natural arm ability but has only been a starter one year. He actually might be the true #1 when this is all said and done. But I like him in the same way that I liked Mahomes he's got tons of physical upside but raw and risky. 

none of these guys are Andrew Luck. They aren't even Cam Newton. Who by the way, was a JUCO transfer who wasn't on the draft radar at this point in the process. Certainly not as a 1 overall. 

Well whomever we get should be better than drafting back to back safeties....

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

LMAO at your comments on Darnold. Honestly, it's just comical that some of you are already bashing Darnold because he may become a Jet and therefore you want a reason to bash the Jets for drafting him. 

He was a redshirt freshman last year. He was amazing. He dominated in the Rose Bowl. Took a bad team and carried them to perfection the rest of the season. His coach in the article you posted stated "He is special. And whatever it is, he has it. There’s no question.” But instead of posting that, you create a "fake news" headline that he is completely reworking his release. He was amazing last year but was just a kid and is obviously going to need to work on mechanics like EVERY OTHER young QB does. 

As for your USC QB comment, I am sure that Peyton Manning kid won't be any good because of Heath Shuler/Pat Ryan/Claussen/Ainge/Matt Simms/Bray etc.. 

Just now, bitonti said:

Watch the tape on Darnold, the kid is special, short and intermediary throws he's nearly perfect, I only have two concerns about Darnold one is his deep ball that I don't see a lot on his tapes and the other is his eligibility. As for his long release, it kind of reminds me of the Russell Wilson release.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

As for your USC QB comment, I am sure that Peyton Manning kid won't be any good because of Heath Shuler/Pat Ryan/Claussen/Ainge/Matt Simms/Bray etc.. 

if Sam Darnold's father was a Pro Bowl QB with the Saints we could have that conversation. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if Sam Darnold's father was a Pro Bowl QB with the Saints we could have that conversation. 

Shall we go through the Cal Bears QBs that preceded Aaron Rodgers (Kyle Boller/Pat Barnes etc..) or the QBs that have since played at Cal (Goff/Riley/Mansion). 

I think teams need to avoid looking like they are blatantly tanking.  The NFL gets itchy when that happens.  McCown, or some other FA veteran, was necessary for that reason as much as any other.  

I also think the most important game of the season now is week 5 against the Browns.  

I do not get on the hype train often for players but I am for Darnold.  sure he may falter that is possible.  However he looked all the part in the 3 or 4 games I saw him last year of a true franchise pro QB.  The most important things a pro has to do he did well and you can't say that for a lot of college guys even ones who have and lots of success at that level.

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's what I'm trying to tell people, none of these guys are cant miss.  Darnold has slow long delivery and a wind up that goes below his waist.  The other guys can barely complete 60% in sh*tty conferences vs sh*tty competition.  

This is far from a cant miss class and just wait till they get put under the microscope during the draft process, if they even keep their stock that high.  We've all seen it before, project top 3 picks who have a huge fall from grace see: Hack and Kaya most recently.

That said, I'll let the college season play out before making hard claims like Tank for Tarzan in 2019.

Archived