David Harris says goodbye to Jets with funny parting line

Gas2No99

David Harris says goodbye to Jets with funny parting line

David Harris never has been about individual milestones, but there was one mark he coveted: He wanted to finish his New York Jets career as the franchise's all-time leader in tackles.

He didn't publicize it, but he started telling friends in recent years his goal was to overtake Kyle Clifton, who produced 1,471 tackles from 1984-96. Harris, who finished with 1,260 (second on the all-time list), made a lighthearted reference to his failed quest in the final line of a farewell letter that was posted Friday on the team's official web site.

Harris' goodbye:

The past couple of days have allowed me to reflect on my career with the New York Jets and how grateful I am.

First, I want to thank Woody Johnson and everyone in the Jets organization who gave me the opportunity to live out my childhood dream of playing at this level, for every day of these last 10 years. Thank you for exposing a kid from the Southeast side of Grand Rapids, Michigan, and his family, to so many wonderful experiences. We have made lifelong memories here in New York.

To Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles and your coaching staffs -- thank you for your trust and confidence in choosing me to lead your defenses and teaching me how to truly play this game. Thanks to John Mellody, Dave Zuffelato, Josh Koch, Ezron Bryson, Greg Rosequist and the rest of the medical training staff. You guys are the heroes working tirelessly behind the scene. To Justus Galac, Aaron McLaurin and the rest of the strength and conditioning crew -- thank you for never allowing me to just settle, and for pushing me in many ways more than just physically. Thank you Dave Szott and Montelle Sanders for everything you do for the players.

To all of my former teammates, I enjoyed every single moment playing beside you throughout the years, during all of the ups and downs. Only we know the sacrifices that were made, day in and day out, to be able to put out the very best product possible for our fans. I want every single one of you to know that my loyalty has always been to you guys in that locker room and to the coaches. And last but not least, to all of those diehard Jets fans -- thank you for your support and motivation.

Many lessons can be taught and learned in this sport that we love to watch and play. When I attended the University of Michigan our head strength coach, Mike Gittleson, used to always make us do this exercise called "farmer's walks" during off-season conditioning. He made us do them from end zone to end zone and then back, in deep snow and freezing temperatures, carrying very heavy sandbags in each hand. He made sure that each one of us never followed in the player's footprints who did the exercise before us because that would've been the easy route. Instead, he made sure every single man made and took their own path. And ever since then, that's what I have strived to do.

GO JETS!!!

P.S. -- To Kyle Clifton, your Jets all-time tackle record is now safe.

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

BLESS YOU #52 and you DID deserve a shot to be the record holder if it wasn't for OVER reactive penny pinching. 

You deserved better good Sir. Thank you. 

I think Harris is/was awesome, and wish him all the best, but there's absolutely no reason for the Jets to have kept him other than sentimental reasons.  A team that is half falling apart and the other half being torn apart doesn't have a need for an old, expensive, declining player.  I have nothing against him and appreciate all he did, but he brings nothing to the future of the Jets.  Hell, he'll probably be better off finding somewhere else to go.  It can only get better from here.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think Harris is/was awesome, and wish him all the best, but there's absolutely no reason for the Jets to have kept him other than sentimental reasons.  A team that is half falling apart and the other half being torn apart doesn't have a need for an old, expensive, declining player.  I have nothing against him and appreciate all he did, but he brings nothing to the future of the Jets.  Hell, he'll probably be better off finding somewhere else to go.  It can only get better from here.

And I don't think the timing was anything special. It's not like Harris is going to be breaking anyone's salary cap at his age and deficiencies. He's likely an after-camp injury pickup. I really like that they jettisoned expensive non-impact players. Yeah, they are professionals. But the Jets roster is young, but has some NFL experience. Time to pass the torch.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I get that. But I still maintain that he would have been excellent as a locker room leader on a VERY young team and, more importantly, the CLASSY thing to do for a player that's been a  10 year starter & class act would be to let him finish out his contract. His salary was not material towards affecting the 2017 cap in a detrimental way, the Jets didn't have to be as cold-blooded with Harris: He's never held out, bad mouthed or embarrassed the team off the field, he never even TESTED FA the 2 times he was eligible. a TRUE JET who was treated poorly. Yes, time to pass the torch, but certain exceptions are made for SPECIAL players, Harris deserves to be treated as one. 

This letter makes me mad AF at our effing GM for not having any clue. What an effing douchebag releasing the longest tenured Jet several months after the FA started. Releasing doesn't even make sense anyways. **** Mac.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

BLESS YOU #52 and you DID deserve a shot to be the record holder if it wasn't for OVER reactive penny pinching. 

Quit being a baby. It was the best move for the team. The NFL is a business.

42 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I get that. But I still maintain that he would have been excellent as a locker room leader on a VERY young team and, more importantly, the CLASSY thing to do for a player that's been a  10 year starter & class act would be to let him finish out his contract. His salary was not material towards affecting the 2017 cap in a detrimental way, the Jets didn't have to be as cold-blooded with Harris: He's never held out, bad mouthed or embarrassed the team off the field, he never even TESTED FA the 2 times he was eligible. a TRUE JET who was treated poorly. Yes, time to pass the torch, but certain exceptions are made for SPECIAL players, Harris deserves to be treated as one. 

I think his value as a locker room leader was diminished. And why should he get better than D'Brickashaw Ferguson or any number of other long-tenured players in the NFL? It's never the right time for these things. And then it's proven to be the perfect time. Harris gave all that was needed. He's not struggling to support his family. If he's good enough, he'll find another gig, if not, he's had a great career.

Why do people have to find a negative when there really isn't one?

Eh... Kyle Clifton was a soldier too... In My Opinion Clifton was a much better player in his time... And I disagree with the notion that Harris should still be on the Jets... He wasn't as productive as his numbers made him out to be

55 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You don't just keep a player because of sentiment, that is what gets you in organizational hell like we are now.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Well,he was never going to rack up over 200 tackles this year but he deserved better than an unceremonious June dumping.  A fan since '81 and one of my favorite Jets of all time, no question.

17 minutes ago, Brady's a catcher said:

Well,he was never going to rack up over 200 tackles this year but he deserved better than an unceremonious June dumping.  A fan since '81 and one of my favorite Jets of all time, no question.

Should there have been a ceremony? A parade with an airplane and banner?...[scratch that!!]

We're not talking about Ray Nitschke here...

Just now, kmnj said:

he will end up joining snacks and b marsh on the giants -you can bank on it

NEWSFLASH: He's not that good anymore...I mean, the Giants didn't pick up Calvin Pace did they? Is Sean Ellis playing over there?

WAKE UP!! They didn't cut him because of the money. They cut him because he can't cover a coffee table coming out of the backfield.

If there was no salary cap or roster limitations, the teams would have much more motivation to keep their older and/or underachieving players around out of "class", but the NFL simply does not work that way.  While I really do have nothing against Harris at all, I also don't think he deserves any particular praise for staying around, as he was paid more than enough by the team to convince him to stay, with $9M / year on his second contract and $7.5M /  year on his third.  If anything, the general consensus around the time of his last contract was that the Jets significantly overpaid for an aging vet who was already on the decline at that point.  The current outcry for Harris is essentially based on the Jets ultimately opting for only 2 of those 3 years of over-payment.

If they were in a realistic state of contention, it might have been well worth it, but in the Jets current situation it would be like shooting a squirt gun at an inferno.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

harris was definitely a tackling machine but he was down 200 tackles with only one year left on his contract.  imo clifton's record was unreachable.  

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

NEWSFLASH: He's not that good anymore...I mean, the Giants didn't pick up Calvin Pace did they? Is Sean Ellis playing over there?

WAKE UP!! They didn't cut him because of the money. They cut him because he covfefe coming out of the backfield.

Fixed

LOVE THE GUY!!!!!   I'm still pissed he was tackled when he intercepted the homo called Tom Brady in 2010 playoff game.

I thought for sure, an ILB with a 10 yard head start would punch it in.  

I still see him being chased down.... the only blemish on a very fukkin solid career.

I bought my nephew a 52 jersey about 5 years ago.  

His is first name is Harris. 

Mr Harris.... hope to see you in the ring of honor. 

Archived