Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I heard his throws might also be a few mph slower than elite, clearly we must pass on him.:lol:

Most productive passer in college two years running, what, 8,000+ yards passing, 70%+ completion percentage, 80+ TD's to like ~10 INT's, and yet......in all those many many many throws.....you've not seen a single "NFL Level" Throw?  You watch alot of his games then?

I'm honestly curious, what is your real world alternative?  Cousins will never hit the open market, and Darnold (lol) and Rosen will be gone at our top pick.  You standing pat with McCown and Hack?  Throwing money at Alex Smith?  Drafting Falk or Rudolph or Jackson?

What is your favored action at the QB position for next year?

Are you guys dense?  Big boy throws do not have to be throws that display arm strength.  They just throws one would expect to see in an NFL offense.  Rosen and Darnold don't have big arms but they have NFL caliber throws on tape.  If you guys can't provide examples, I'll keep digging on my own then.

I did see one gorgeous throw he made against Texas but that was off a broken play.  Trying to find more examples throws within the original structure of the play.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would agree that Mayfield doesn't have a rifle and rarely "wows" with his throws but I don't think it's accurate at all to say he has ball placement issues. From the games I've seen (I've probably seen him play about 8 games over the years) he's incredibly accurate on intermediate throws.

As a Jet Geno Smith rarely made poor reads or threw the ball into double or triple coverage like everyone's other favorite former Jet QB, Sanchez.  However, he did have the tendency of waiting to see guys get open rather than anticipating when and where they would break open, therefore throwing the ball late a lot and sometimes with bad ball placement.  He got away with this in college running the Spread but not in the NFL as the windows got smaller.  Even when is placement was good, it led to a lot of INTs.  This is despite having a much stronger arm than Mayfield.

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

I saw Goff make NFL caliber throws and reads in the Spread as I saw with Mahomes and Mariota.  I don't see it too much from Mayfield.  Also Mayfield is NOWHERE near as accurate as Stafford his ball placement is some of the worse I've seen in the top of the class.

*EDIT - When you said Stafford, for whatever reason in my head I was thinking Bradford probably because of the OU connection.  Anyway I mean to say he was not as accurate as Bradford coming out which is moot since you weren't talking about Bradford.  The ball placement comment still applies though.

You're actually going to talk about NFL throws (or lack there of) in relation to Mayfied -- AND -- in the same post, talk about Patrick Rainbow Mahomes?!? Get.the.fck.out....

I don't care if Mahomes wins 100000 superbowls, his NFL projection was made on about 20% of useable tape at Texas Tech. I'm not arguing whether that's a good or bad thing, but you can see yourself out the door if you're even try to b*tch about Mayfield lack of NFL throws, and why arm strength is separate topic, and act like ALL OF THAT wasn't an issue in evaluating Mahomes... that's the fcking definition of double standards, pal. 

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

As a Jet Geno Smith rarely made poor reads or threw the ball into double or triple coverage like everyone's other favorite former Jet QB, Sanchez.  However, he did have the tendency of waiting to see guys get open rather than anticipating when and where they would break open, therefore throwing the ball late a lot and sometimes with bad ball placement.  He got away with this in college running the Spread but not in the NFL as the windows got smaller.  Even when is placement was good, it led to a lot of INTs.  This is despite having a much stronger arm than Mayfield.

Excuse me?

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Excuse me?

I'm a Jets fan that hasn't missed a game in 30 years. There's nothing there I haven't seen.  I don't need a video to tell me Geno sucks; I lived it.  Just point me to the double and triple coverage throws in the video.  All I see is what I said a lot of late and/or poor ball placement throws to mostly single coverage that got picked off.  Proving my point. Did you even look at the video before posting it?

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're actually going to talk about NFL throws (or lack there of) in relation to Mayfied -- AND -- in the same post, talk about Patrick Rainbow Mahomes?!? Get.the.fck.out.... i don't care if you Mahomes wins 100000 superbowls, his NFL projection was made on about 20% of useable tape at Texas Tech. I'm not arguing whether that's a good or bad thing, but you can see yourself out the door if you're even try to b*tch about Mayfield lack of NFL throws, and why arm strength is separate topic, and act like ALL OF THAT wasn't an issue in evaluating Mahomes... that's the fcking definition of double standards, pal. 

That 20% is probably 19% more than Mayfield's and that's me being generous.  And it's a quality 20% too.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

You know who can from a "spread type offense" - Jared Goff

You know who had the arm strength to make "big boy NFL throws" - Paxton Lynch

I understand there is upside to having a guy with an arm like stafford, but QBs win with accuracy and the ability/balls to keep their eyes downfield and not stare down the rush. That is what Mayfield excels at.

If we got him in the second round I would be beyond ecstatic

He won't make it out of the 1st rd.

Just now, legler82 said:

That 20% is probably 19% more than Mayfield's and that's me being generous.  And it's a quality 20% too.

Thank you -- didn't know whether to slot you into the "knows his stuff, just don't agree with him" column, or the "full of sh*t" pile.

Mystery solved. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Thank you -- didn't know whether to slot you into the "knows his stuff, just don't agree with him" column, or the "full of sh*t" pile.

Mystery solved. 

Still waiting for that secret compilation Mayfield NFL caliber throws video and/or gifs.

9 minutes ago, jetsons said:

We are obviously on both sides of the spectrum on this...  If we are going to pick a QB, I'd like it to be Darnold or Mayfield.

Hey you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.  But I am somewhat confused at the hostility by some towards asking for some examples of him making NFL translatable throws.  As someone else already mentioned the guy HAS A LOT of throws on tape.  At least 20% of those should be usable; I heard from a very knowledgable poster that's the precedent benchmark.  It shouldn't be too hard to find, unless, of course, it is?

5 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Hey you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.  But I am somewhat confused at the hostility by some towards asking for some examples of him making NFL translatable throws.  As someone else already mentioned the guy HAS A LOT of throws on tape.  At least 20% of those should be usable; I heard from a very knowledgable poster that's the precedent benchmark.  It shouldn't be too hard to find, unless, of course, it is?

Watch the tape on him (youtube it if you like, I've already seen them)... he makes very good accurate throws.

10 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Watch the tape on him (youtube it if you like, I've already seen them)... he makes very good accurate throws.

I have and I had a hard time finding those type of throws.  That's why I solicited the help of my fellow Jets fans in this chat only to be viciously attacked by what one can only assume was members of Mayfield's family:). Is there a specific game you would suggest?

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I don't care if Mahomes wins 100000 superbowls, his NFL projection was made on about 20% of useable tape at Texas Tech.

This line is funny to me; comes across a CYA type of statement.  

Well, I don't care if Mayfield at worst flames out of the league like Manziel or at best becomes serviceable journey man back-up like Colt McCoy, his current NFL projection is based on meaningless and inflated stats.

BTW if you are good at evaluating the position, 20% is more than enough.  I'd settle for 1% from Mayfield.

12 minutes ago, legler82 said:

This line is funny to me; comes across a CYA type of statement.  

Well, I don't care if Mayfield at worst flames out of the league like Manziel or at best becomes serviceable journey man back-up like Colt McCoy, his current NFL projection is based on meaningless and inflated stats.

what am i, your girlfriend? Go look up your own f*cking Mayfield highlights.

Like i got time for that, and for what purpose? To show some clown who wants to whimsically apply his logic to ONE player, and not ANOTHER?  post your email bro, and we can skip to the part where I email you dick-pics....   20%?!?!, lol, i picked a number out of thin air to make a point, I forgot to calibrate for cognitive density of the audience. Your boy has even less NFL throws on tape than Mayfield, but hey, let's not get in the way of your stidham campaign. Back to you defending his wholly NFL franchise projection--

49 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I have and I had a hard time finding those type of throws.  That's why I solicited the help of my fellow Jets fans in this chat only to be viciously attacked by what one can only assume was members of Mayfield's family:). Is there a specific game you would suggest?

Watch any highlight reel this season, there are several... if you have trouble seeing them, I can't help you there.

Mayfield doesn't have a big arm, but it's sufficient enough. And he's very accurate so that definitely offsets it.

I was unsure him at first, but now I'm definitely comfortable enough that I would be fine with him.

If no Rosen or Darnold, then Mayfield or Lamar it is

1 minute ago, King P said:

Mayfield doesn't have a big arm, but it's sufficient enough. And he's very accurate so that definitely offsets it.

I was unsure him at first, but now I'm definitely comfortable enough that I would be fine with him.

Go watch more film and get back to us. 

7 minutes ago, King P said:

Seriously? And you think Mayfield doesn't have a big arm?

Only QB alive with over 70% completion with a yards per attempt of over 10.  Attempt.  The highest in college football by a bit.

He doesn’t have any top prospects other than his tight end. 

Has the arm, but more importantly, his height hasn’t been an issue despite having a OT at 6’8.  He moves around the pocket creating open lanes to throw.  He’s mobile but not necessarily a running QB.  

I doubt he is on our radar because I’m not aware that Macc has seen him play.  Plus, we already have our franchise QB in McCown.

Archived