Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

Believe me I realize its going to be damn hard to move up and thats why i wanted to start Hackenberg all season to ensure 2 or less wins.

Shhhhhhh I was going to PM you in case you haven't heard we are secretly developing Christian Hackenberg, he's going to take the NFL by storm wait for it. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

For all of you out there who are on the fence about Mayfield google Gary Patterson/James Mayfield. I did and came away with a different perspective than the above.

You obviously like Darnold/Rosen more than Mayfield. That's cool. The above is your take on a he said/she said situation and a lot of it sounded like sour grapes on Gary Pattersons part. Especially the part about summoning Mayfields parents to him and they didn't go. No way can you compare James Mayfield to Lavell Ball. That is laughable when comparing the two. James Mayfield was looking out for his kid and did what any father in that situation would do. He believed in his kid so much that he would not allow him to settle and he was correct. There is no evidence James Mayfield has interfered in any way at Oklahoma or Texas Tech at all. You sound like a guy who is just trying to make a case for the guys you like versus the guy you don't. Don't be that guy.

I appreciate the info and will check that out.  I took that stance not based on Patterson’s words or actions but as a whole between The coaches at Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech.

The fact that this stuff is out there is bad enough, but when you add the arrest and the multiple unprofessional antics he has pulled this year, it leaves a little doubt that he’ll be able to handle the spot light of a NY QB.

Im not a GM and don’t have to bet my career on him but based on Macc and what I have seen from him with regards to the QB spot, I doubt he takes the risk.  Meaning, he will do what ever he can to get Rosen or Darnold or he’s going wait until round two again and draft another long shot.

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I appreciate the info and will check that out.  I took that stance not based on Patterson’s words or actions but as a whole between The coaches at Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech.

The fact that this stuff is out there is bad enough, but when you add the arrest and the multiple unprofessional antics he has pulled this year, it leaves a little doubt that he’ll be able to handle the spot light of a NY QB.

Im not a GM and don’t have to bet my career on him but based on Macc and what I have seen from him with regards to the QB spot, I doubt he takes the risk.  Meaning, he will do what ever he can to get Rosen or Darnold or he’s going wait until round two again and draft another long shot.

If we can't get Darnold or Rosen which is the most likely scenario we have to take a chance with Mayfield. He would sell tickets which is always a huge priority for ownership and he will win games. His off the field issues are not nearly bad enough for us to pass on the guy.

I think Mayfield is going to take the league by storm and prove the naysayers wrong. He has been an underdog his whole life and has proven the doubters wrong time and time again. Enough of this organization settling for the second and third tier QBs in the draft and enough of the veteran placeholders.

13 minutes ago, Pennington said:

If we can't get Darnold or Rosen which is the most likely scenario we have to take a chance with Mayfield. He would sell tickets which is always a huge priority for ownership and he will win games. His off the field issues are not nearly bad enough for us to pass on the guy.

I think Mayfield is going to take the league by storm and prove the naysayers wrong. He has been an underdog his whole life and has proven the doubters wrong time and time again. Enough of this organization settling for the second and third tier QBs in the draft and enough of the veteran placeholders.

I love the QB.  I think with Morton’s system (similar to NO) he can be a star.  I love the “the world is against me” mentality.  Look at what he did when he played Texas Tech.  Lincoln Riley is an offensive genius but it helps when you have a mini-Favre back there.

If I was the GM, I would get to know every member of his family and do thorough back ground checks going all the way back to elementary school.  

Mad for Macc, he seems enamored by size as the three most mentioned games he attends are USC, UCLA, and WY.

I would rate Mayfield third.  I do think someone is going to get him in the top 12, perhaps Denver or Cleveland (with their 2nd 1st rounder).

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I love the QB.  I think with Morton’s system (similar to NO) he can be a star.  I love the “the world is against me” mentality.  Look at what he did when he played Texas Tech.  Lincoln Riley is an offensive genius but it helps when you have a mini-Favre back there.

If I was the GM, I would get to know every member of his family and do thorough back ground checks going all the way back to elementary school.  

Mad for Macc, he seems enamored by size as the three most mentioned games he attends are USC, UCLA, and WY.

I would rate Mayfield third.  I do think someone is going to get him in the top 12, perhaps Denver or Cleveland (with their 2nd 1st rounder).

if bowles hated robbie anderson yesterday when he basically kept the team in the game, how do you think he'd feel about playing mayfield?  can you say, 'josh is my starter'?  you'd have to get rid of the coach to bring a guy like mayfield in, b/c bowles is too inflexible to adapt to this type of mindset.  we would still have mccown handing off to forte on first down when they're down 13 with 8 minutes left in the game.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if bowles hated robbie anderson yesterday when he basically kept the team in the game, how do you think he'd feel about playing mayfield?  can you say, 'josh is my starter'?  you'd have to get rid of the coach to bring a guy like mayfield in, b/c bowles is too inflexible to adapt to this type of mindset.  we would still have mccown handing off to forte on first down when they're down 13 with 8 minutes left in the game.

If thats the case then Fire Bowles, promote Morton to HC, Bates to OC and bring in a QB coach.

That would also work to get rid of Kacy Rogers but allow us to keep Denard Robinson and Kevin Greene and put in a DC who is smart enough to not put 5'10 buster skrine 1-1 against 6'5 Devin Funchess.

I want Baker Mayfield so we can all laugh our azzes off when we're up 45-10 vs the Pats & with under a minute to go we throw for another TD. Baker turns to the 44 year old Brady, wrinkled and fat Belichick and the entire Pats bench & grabs his crotch. 

Just an unsubtle up yours to a an organization that's been butt f*cking the Jets for 17 years. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I want Baker Mayfield so we can all laugh our azzes off when we're up 45-10 vs the Pats & with under a minute to go we throw for another TD. Baker turns to the 44 year old Brady, wrinkled and fat Belichick and the entire Pats bench & grabs his crotch. 

Just an unsubtle up yours to a an organization that's been butt f*cking the Jets for 17 years. 

Image result for baker mayfield grabbing crotch  gifs

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I'm all for Mayfield. Every time I watch him I see future franchise QB. it is also realistic the Jets could get him. But under no circumstances can Bowles be his HC

On if he said anything to Mayfield after grabbing crotch during the 3rd quarter...

Bowles: We had a discussion. We're on the same page.

I think it'd work out just fine. 

On 13/11/2017 at 1:22 PM, JiF said:

The population of this board largerly thought Watson was a 3rd round prospect at best, yet 90% of you are drooling over Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.

Cant make this sh*t up. 

Totally agree on the Watson nonsense, the selective amnesia is staggering, Texans gave up a top ten pick in 2018 AND their first rounder last year to take a guy who is currently long term injured but Mac is the fool apparently......two firsts for a guy who can’t stay on the filed but yeah we should’ve drafted him at 6 overall...lol

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Totally agree on the Watson nonsense, the selective amnesia is staggering, Texans gave up a top ten pick in 2018 AND their first rounder last year to take a guy who is currently long term injured but Mac is the fool apparently......two firsts for a guy who can’t stay on the filed but yeah we should’ve drafted him at 6 overall...lol

Hmmm.  You may have misunderstood me.  I'd do back flips right now if Watson was currently on IR for the Jets.  My point was more about the evaluation.  The majority of posters here were calling Watson a 3rd round pick at best.  Fast forward a year and Mayfield and Jackson are top 10 picks?  Make no sense.  Watson was 100x the player/prospect.  

You realize that the NFL isn't over after 2017?  Most of us are expecting a few more season of NFL ball.  The Texans are pretty excited about that, I'd assume. 

16 hours ago, BCJet said:

If thats the case then Fire Bowles, promote Morton to HC, Bates to OC and bring in a QB coach.

That would also work to get rid of Kacy Rogers but allow us to keep Denard Robinson and Kevin Greene and put in a DC who is smart enough to not put 5'10 buster skrine 1-1 against 6'5 Devin Funchess.

Best post of the year.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sorry BCJet, I just replaced your best post of the year with this one.... My bad  OMG I would be LMAO if that were to come true.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Hmmm.  You may have misunderstood me.  I'd do back flips right now if Watson was currently on IR for the Jets.  My point was more about the evaluation.  The majority of posters here were calling Watson a 3rd round pick at best.  Fast forward a year and Mayfield and Jackson are top 10 picks?  Make no sense.  Watson was 100x the player/prospect.  

You realize that the NFL isn't over after 2017?  Most of us are expecting a few more season of NFL ball.  The Texans are pretty excited about that, I'd assume. 

Look, I wasnt in favor of drafting watson, thought he was a great kid, but that he didnt have the arm strength to be successful long term in the NFL - it appears I was very wrong.

That being said, Mayfield and Jackson do not have any arm strength questions attached to them, so the comparison isnt necessarily apples to apples.  Jackson clearly doesnt have the intangibles that Watson does but he has elite NFL arm strength - can that translate, I have no idea, but that is why he is in the first round conversation.  

As for mayfield, I look at him almost exactly like Watson.  Both won a ton in college, put up crazy stats, were long term starters and leaders.   Watson is taller but had arm strength as his physical hangup, Mayfield has better arm strength, but his height is his physical hangup.

More and more teams are playing spread type offenses, simplifying the reads for young QBs and helping guys like Watson succeed.  That is why I am personally a fan of Mayfield as a draft pick and think he brings similar intangible/leadership to the position along with being a fit for our OC.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Look, I wasnt in favor of drafting watson, thought he was a great kid, but that he didnt have the arm strength to be successful long term in the NFL - it appears I was very wrong.

That being said, Mayfield and Jackson do not have any arm strength questions attached to them, so the comparison isnt necessarily apples to apples.  Jackson clearly doesnt have the intangibles that Watson does but he has elite NFL arm strength - can that translate, I have no idea, but that is why he is in the first round conversation.  

As for mayfield, I look at him almost exactly like Watson.  Both won a ton in college, put up crazy stats, were long term starters and leaders.   Watson is taller but had arm strength as his physical hangup, Mayfield has better arm strength, but his height is his physical hangup.

More and more teams are playing spread type offenses, simplifying the reads for young QBs and helping guys like Watson succeed.  That is why I am personally a fan of Mayfield as a draft pick and think he brings similar intangible/leadership to the position along with being a fit for our OC.

We all get it wrong.  GM's get paid to get it wrong all the time.  I remember saying I wouldn't "mortgage the future" for Carson Wentz.  I honesty didn't know anything about him.  I just felt it was too big of a gamble to trade so much to take a D2 QB.  Now?  I'd have given up the entire draft and then some. lol

I dont watch Mayfield and see incredible arm strength.  I see adequate.  It will be interesting to see his hands size and how he throws an NFL ball.     And truthfully, Watson's arm strength was never in question until that silly 49mph thingy came out and it's the dumbest sh*t that has ever surfaced from this ridiculous modern draft process.  I remember people raving about how fast the ball came out and got to the target after the combine and then BOOM!  Ourlads Scouting Service saying something something 49 mph.  That said, when you watched Watson...velocity never appeared to be an issue in college.  He was torching Defenses loaded with NFL talent on the regular.  

Anywho, I don't want Jackson because history shows that type of player doesn't translate.  I'm not big on Mayfield because well, history isn't kind to player like him as well but like I've said numerous times before, he's ones of those kids that's hard to bet against.  I wouldn't be furious if the Jets fell in love with him.  It just wouldn't be my preference or pick and I don't see how Mac could have him rated top 10 and not Watson.  That's all. 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Don't be too sure. If Oklahoma wins Saturday, and Mayfield has a big game in the playoffs against a really good defense, he may go top 3-5. 

If they make it and Mayfield does what he's been doing vs. one of the SEC teams or Clemson, he might win me over.  Ohio St. wasn't clicking when they saw them week 2 breaking in a brand new secondary...that would be interesting to see again as well.   Assuming they get past Wisconsin and get in. 

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

If they make it and Mayfield does what he's been doing vs. one of the SEC teams or Clemson, he might win me over.  Ohio St. wasn't clicking when they saw them week 2 breaking in a brand new secondary...that would be interesting to see again as well.   Assuming they get past Wisconsin and get in. 

I agree.If he got a shot vs. Clemson, Auburn or Bama, and did well, would be very interesting.  Wisconsin gets no respect...7 pt.dogs. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

We all get it wrong.  GM's get paid to get it wrong all the time.  I remember saying I wouldn't "mortgage the future" for Carson Wentz.  I honesty didn't know anything about him.  I just felt it was too big of a gamble to trade so much to take a D2 QB.  Now?  I'd have given up the entire draft and then some. lol

I dont watch Mayfield and see incredible arm strength.  I see adequate.  It will be interesting to see his hands size and how he throws an NFL ball.     And truthfully, Watson's arm strength was never in question until that silly 49mph thingy came out and it's the dumbest sh*t that has ever surfaced from this ridiculous modern draft process.  I remember people raving about how fast the ball came out and got to the target after the combine and then BOOM!  Ourlads Scouting Service saying something something 49 mph.  That said, when you watched Watson...velocity never appeared to be an issue in college.  He was torching Defenses loaded with NFL talent on the regular.  

Anywho, I don't want Jackson because history shows that type of player doesn't translate.  I'm not big on Mayfield because well, history isn't kind to player like him as well but like I've said numerous times before, he's ones of those kids that's hard to bet against.  I wouldn't be furious if the Jets fell in love with him.  It just wouldn't be my preference or pick and I don't see how Mac could have him rated top 10 and not Watson.  That's all. 

Hand size will be important, as that is a huge barometer when determining arm strength (Russel Wilson has 10 inch hands even at 5'11).

If Baker measures 6'0 with over 9.5 inch hands I think he is fine.  Plus he has experience playing in the cold weather.

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree.If he got a shot vs. Clemson, Auburn or Bama, and did well, would be very interesting.  Wisconsin gets no respect...7 pt.dogs. 

They get no respect because they aren't very good. PSU is better. With that said,OSU isn't very good either and Wisconsin has a very good chance to beat them. 

On 11/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, JiF said:

He doesn't have the championship pedigree Watson was bringing with him and he hasn't faced anywhere near the level of competition.  

He has one or 2 throws a game, where you can see it translate.  The rest is to wide open WR's.  Watson was doing what he was doing vs. some of the best D's in the country, in nail bitter games down to the last drive.  It's a very different story which makes analyzing Mayfield extremely difficult.  Big 12 ball just doesn't translate.

14/17, 285, 3 TD's and his team puts up 60...it's not going to be that easy in the pros.  I think Mayfield has a HUGE adjustment.  But, I wouldn't bet against him.  He's got that competitive spirit you can't teach.  I wouldn't touch him but I don't think I'll be angry if the Jets fall for him during the process.

That said, I can't possibly see how Mac would think Mayfield would be worth a top 10 pick but Watson wasn't. 

Agree completely, except for the bold.  Mac thought Hack was worth a 2nd round pick while other teams thought he was undraftable, so I can completely see how Mac's scewed QB analysis can result in him thinking Mayfield is worth a top 10 pick and Watson was not.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It will be interesting to see his hands size and how he throws an NFL ball.    

A little off topic, but I thought that some years back the NFL and NCAA adopted the same ball size?  I could be wrong though.  This website seems to agree but I see others that do not.

http://www.stack.com/a/football-sizes

Just curious...

----EDIT----

Didn't realize this was such a controversy :P

Archived