What do we do with Mo?

Jetster

@Pac that post is pure gold :D

As for what I think about Mo, I think if he's willing to restructure I'd be okay with keeping him. I think the players should see us trying to keep him even if it is a front we put up. 

My guess is we hold onto him until the end of the 2nd day of FA (before his salary is guaranteed) to see how much cap we need to save. If FAs don't want to come here than we may be willing to pay him a little more. By waiting until the end of day 2 most of the top FAs will have an opportunity to sign places so we'll have a better idea where we will stand cap wise. Not to mention other teams will be spending their money and filling holes they need so it would only hurt Mo's ability to sign with other teams potentially allowing us to lower his deal.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Pac said:

Not sure what it says about me that I'm laughing harder than I have in a long time on this board and it took someone telling me to F off to get there.

One of the better pwn jobs in a while but I’ve never faulted MAC for that contract.  I’ve faulted Mo for being a lazy take the money and run **** and Todd Bowels for not holding him accountable because he went to Temple.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

One of the better pwn jobs in a while but I’ve never faulted MAC for that contract.  I’ve faulted Mo for being a lazy take the money and run **** and Todd Bowels for not holding him accountable because he went to Temple.

I’d love to know why we’re all idiots for wanting Mo resigned, but Maccagnan is a genius for resigning him. But what do I know.

Wilkerson needs to be let go after the season.  There's no way we should pay him
$16 million for 2018 after he's done nothing in 2016 & 2017.  Getting rid of his
contract should get us up to almost $100 million in cap space  

On 12/4/2017 at 11:06 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Dead money is just because he was paid before. That amount comes off the cap whether he's here or not.

The only question, since the guaranteed portion of that asinine extension will hopefully be over (if he finishes the season healthy), is whether he's worth $17m for the 2018 season.

He is not.

Miss a meeting at your job see what happens. Miss a meeting a second time you won’t be seeing what happens a 3rd time. Belicheck would have dumped his fat azz and not looked back.  Cut him, trade him for a box of Girl Scout cookies,  do whatever it takes to get rid of this guy. Enough is enough. 

I know you won't find me trilling to resign Mo back in those posts. But I find it very funny that some of Maccs toughest critics are looking like a bunch of hypocritical little bitches in PACS post. And now they know who they are & that we'll never believe anything they tell us to believe ever again, lol. Talk about losing football cred. Game changer.

They’re not cutting Wilkerson, folks. What ails this team, defense included, is the QB position. $100 million in cap space doesn’t matter if there’s nothing to spend on. Outside of Cousins there’s no one the Jets should be falling over themselves for in FA and that’s true until they land a QB. 

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

They’re not cutting Wilkerson, folks. What ails this team, defense included, is the QB position. $100 million in cap space doesn’t matter if there’s nothing to spend on. Outside of Cousins there’s no one the Jets should be falling over themselves for in FA and that’s true until they land a QB. 

The highest paid player on the team not trying is probably an issue. But at least he's stealing Woody's money. As fans, that's all we can really ask for.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The highest paid player on the team not trying is probably an issue. But at least he's stealing Woody's money. As fans, that's all we can really ask for.

Meh, noise as usual. All of this is nonsense until they have a QB. The team is going nowhere forever and ever, good player and bad, unless/until that happens. 

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

And JAbe is injury prone, Revis is a meany selfish pop pop head....On and on it goes until wins become the story by finally joining the 21st century and successfully building a pass offense. 

The Jets have two receivers in the top 15 in DYAR. Their passing offense as it currently stands is better than it's been in forever. Not sure how not having a longterm solution at QB gives guys a pass for not trying. But hey- they're taking Woody's money.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:56 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Um, no. "Actually" it's another $17m for the 2018 exactly like I stated. He does not receive his cap hit that; he receives what new money he receives.

The rest comes off whether he's here or not because he's already received that in prior bonus money.

So he is due to receive another $17m, and with the fluidity of the salary cap, that is the amount that is saved (i.e. usable for other players) if he's cut. 

He is not worth another $17m for 2018.

This.

Big money should go to leaders...it's just a shame that this hometown guy just doesn't want to be the leader of this defense.

I say swallow the cap hit and make an example of him, cut his ass.

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets have two receivers in the top 15 in DYAR. Their passing offense as it currently stands is better than it's been in forever. Not sure how not having a longterm solution at QB gives guys a pass for not trying. But hey- they're taking Woody's money.

I thought pretending Revis being good for only 30 seconds was tedious but man....Anyway that the bold is actually close to true, there’s the gem that was Fitzmagic 2015, is the problem. Assume when I say “find a QB” I don’t mean a 40 year old journeyman limping to probably his first average full season as an NFL passer.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:58 PM, Pac said:

Your honor I'd like to enter into evidence EXHIBIT A

This is the thread announcing the signing of Mo.  The plaintiff is urged to read through and point out the numerous posts expressing discontent.

I'd also like to enter exhibits B through J.  These are from a few of Maccs most ardent detractors who seem to have had a different opinion at the time:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

... I rest my case and I accept your apology.

I like Wilkerson and still believe it was worth signing him simply because pass rush wins games. It’s a major indictment of Bowles that Wilkerson played hard for Rex and folded it up under Bowles, which has been a consistent theme with Bowles and veteran talent. If he wants to remain a head coach in the league, eventually he’s gonna have to learn how to exert discipline on players that have more than three years in the league. So far, he’s been steamrolled at every turn. Even Matt Forte publicly dragged him this year and Bowles rolled over. You can draw a straight line from Bowles letting Cro and Revis do anything they want to Mo and Sheldon outright quitting, to Darron Lee pulling similar crap. He was afraid to pull Fitzpatrick for ten weeks despite him being the worst QB in the league for two months. 

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like Wilkerson and still believe it was worth signing him simply because pass rush wins games. It’s a major indictment of Bowles that Wilkerson played hard for Rex and folded it up under Bowles, which has been a consistent theme with Bowles and veteran talent. If he wants to remain a head coach in the league, eventually he’s gonna have to learn how to exert discipline on players that have more than three years in the league. So far, he’s been steamrolled at every turn. Even Matt Forte publicly dragged him this year and Bowles rolled over. You can draw a straight line from Bowles letting Cro and Revis do anything they want to Mo and Sheldon outright quitting, to Darron Lee pulling similar crap. He was afraid to pull Fitzpatrick for ten weeks despite him being the worst QB in the league for two months. 

Game changer.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You're preaching to the choir.  The only reason I'm ok with Bowles being retained is because I think Morton and Bates are a good combo to groom whatever QB they draft in April.

I don't understand why Lee is publicly shamed with a healthy scratch designation while Mo only misses a couple plays after multiple infractions.

This is where our boy Macc steps in and says adios to Mo - which was my original point in this thread.  I'm glad the deal was structured in such a way that parting ways after 2 years is palatable. 

14 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This.

Big money should go to leaders...it's just a shame that this hometown guy just doesn't want to be the leader of this defense.

I say swallow the cap hit and make an example of him, cut his ass.

The way to make an example out of him is to bench him first for the final month-plus of a season - far more than merely 1 quarter or 1 game in September - which then hurts his ability to laugh his way to the bank after getting cut (since he'll just get a new deal with more guaranteed $). 

Or better yet, don't give it to him in the first place. I wish I could find the article again (I'm going through Googles issues I guess) but I do remember reading, when the short suspension took place, that Macc had to have a sit-down with him about shaping up his act before sliding the $17m/year extension across the table. Like what's Mo going to say? "Nah, I'm not a leader and I'm going to show up when I feel like it now that I'm uncuttable for at least 2 years." 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The way to make an example out of him is to bench him first for the final month-plus of a season - far more than merely 1 quarter or 1 game in September - which then hurts his ability to laugh his way to the bank after getting cut (since he'll just get a new deal with more guaranteed $). 

I am pretty sure a grievance would be filed with the players union with that type of punishment, and then you have a whole other mess to deal with.

The Jets have a policy, at least from what I have read, of fining a player for a certain number of absences, then suspending.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am pretty sure a grievance would be filed with the players union with that type of punishment, and then you have a whole other mess to deal with.

The Jets have a policy, at least from what I have read, of fining a player for a certain number of absences, then suspending.

I'm a vindictive prick, though.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or better yet, don't give it to him in the first place. I wish I could find the article again (I'm going through Googles issues I guess) but I do remember reading, when the short suspension took place, that Macc had to have a sit-down with him about shaping up his act before sliding the $17m/year extension across the table. Like what's Mo going to say? "Nah, I'm not a leader and I'm going to show up when I feel like it now that I'm uncuttable for at least 2 years." 

I have a feeling teams won't embarrass players like that because there's some sort of unwritten agreement with the players' union.  What Mo Wilk has done since that extension is a joke though.  I can't wait for the Jets to cut him. Belichick trades away guys like this before it's time for their big contract.  Once again it looks like he's right on the money when it comes to stuff like this.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have a feeling teams won't embarrass players like that because there's some sort of unwritten agreement with the players' union.  What Mo Wilk has done since that extension is a joke though.  I can't wait for the Jets to cut him. Belichick trades away guys like this before it's time for their big contract.  Once again it looks like he's right on the money when it comes to stuff like this.

See my prior post

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

the bellichicken also signed hainsworth so he's not always right.  but benching the load might be a good plan if possible.  keeps him from getting injured and would sure embarass him

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the bellichicken also signed hainsworth so he's not always right.  but benching the load might be a good plan if possible.  keeps him from getting injured and would sure embarass him

Nobody is right all the time but Belichick is the greatest of my lifetime and possibly the greatest ever.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I think there's a difference between taking a shot on a new player, as sometimes a change of scenery has better than expected results, and a player the team knows as well as anyone they're ever going go know.

Haynesworth of course everyone knew what kind of an animal he could be, stepping on someone's head among other acts of class and charm, but he also wasn't anywhere near the investment. Even NE knew he was a risk and, while they surely wished they could undo that deal (and others), they didn't guarantee him the #1 salary at his position for the next 2 years no matter what. 

Archived